Herman

VOR Leg 10 Cardiff to Gothenburg

35 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Very real. A small colony has established itself near Puhoi north of Auckland - locals even refer them to them as the Puhoi Drop Bear. Go tot the pub and ask around, there's bound to be someone there who'll show you a scar and tell you how lucky they are to have survived.

Ours are scarier

https://australianmuseum.net.au/drop-bear

It says no fatalities... ? Surely that's wrong

12 minutes ago, PIL66 said:

It says no fatalities... ? Surely that's wrong

They don't want to frighten tourists.  Bad for business.

20 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

They don't want to frighten tourists.  Bad for business.

:o

YESSS, bloody great sailing Brunel!!! Bouwe 4 President!

Well done Mapfre, great job Akzo

Such a great race! See u in den Haag

Watching the finish replay - At least the boats knew where the correct finish line was!  

It's shocking that RC and the telecast had the wrong finish reference, with all that technology at hand and in the stable, dry comfort of their studio.  Imagine TBRU making the same mistake with MAPF only 0.4 behind and they took their foot off the pedal and started rolling away sails before the actually line?  What a drama that would have been!  

Great racing.  It couldn't have been scripted any better.  Well done to all, especially TBRU for finding the magic sauce to change up gears and drive around some pretty fast boats.

• Like 2

Congratulations, BRUNEL. Well done, MAPFRE and AkzoNobel.

How fucking embarrassing that the knuckleheads in the "RACE HQ" don't know where the finish line is.  They spew so much nonsense and sometimes utter bullshit mixed in with a lot of irrelevant "Captain Obvious" commentary - but blowing it this badly is beyond utter amateurism.  Shaking my head 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Probably posted upthread, but anyway. A dock interview with Mr. Fixit Escoffier on the boat speed issues on DFRT. They did a back-down after TTToP passed them. Not so good sail choices. Have to win the last leg - so that discussion if you can win the VOR without ever winning a leg has been settled. Kevin also notes that you can not have this type of intense close sailing battles without a one-design class to sail in. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

how sailors immediately volunteered to drop everything/anything they were doing to sail the Skally from Puerto Montt to Itajai, my opinion evolved. 

I don't think Witty would go through all that and not put 100% of his effort, and expect and receive that if his crew, into finishing the race. He strikes me as a very competitive guy, and they were doing it for Fish and his family as well.

Some volunteered, but also some of them are already working for the team or doing deliveries for a living. Just sayin ;)  I understand that some are thinking that this was impressive and a sign of something, I don't. Getting the boat to Itajai was just logistics. 

That being said, they are a fantastic group of people who I'd trust my life with. Meaning the delivery team ;) 

• Like 1

There is talk here about 65 65 65 points, though leader board says 65 65 64.

Is that one point for fastest overall time  for Donger ?

yes, because they cannot lose it.

What a day yesterday! During breakfast BRU was behind by a mere 0,8nm. Coming back to the screen late afternoon she was leading by 0,8nm. Videos came up here about the lead change, thanks to the contributors! And after that the live coverage in HD quality on the big screen. It cannot get any better. Thanks to the VOR organisation and to all the contributors here. I am hooked from start to finish of the Race.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, DtM said:

wich makes me think of a rules defect... imagine DF does not finish this leg, they will get last boat time + 24 hrs. Then compare with Mapfre time heavily penalized by the main tack isues they had that made them loose the low trains... then you got a boat not finishing having an overall time better than a boat that managed to finish all stages?

Anyway if DF does not finish that extra point will be peanuts... but rules are not right to me.

4 hours ago, paps49 said:

Big mistake walking in wearing a suit and tie.

More importantly how did you get them through NZ Customs?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DtM said:

Don't jinx Charles & Co!

Well, 3 boats tied for points. What a way to go into the last leg...

Just hope there will be enough breeze so that it will not be a lottery coming down the Dutch coast.

Started out the edition of the race supportering for Dongfeng, but getting to a stage where I will be disappointed for the two of the current top three that will not win more than happy for the team that will clinch it.  Between Dongfeng, Brunel and Mapfre, as far as I am concerned they would all be worthy winners.

It will be a long haul till the next edition.

• Like 4

Dongers can loose the extra point if the fail to finish as Brunel are less than 24 hrs behind.

Can also still win the race without winning a leg, all to play for!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wild Things said:

Martine Grael... How can you possibly look that good after a week at sea? I think I'm in love... 

Before I try to ketchup...

For the fans:

mg.thumb.jpg.d663c7ad88783e0dc89985d09ad797f2.jpg

Had to think of @Elisa all the time...

20180615_000432.thumb.jpg.61d74fa175ca7ee272986e0a9e97ff15.jpg

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

More importantly how did you get them through NZ Customs?

Wasn't easy Jack, got some help from me Bro's in baggage handling.

As for Friday night at the Puhoi, it was quite a night, my friends Dad was a local. At about 6.30 we had to carry the Publican's wife upstairs, she had over tippled behind the bar, a common occurrence apparently. The suit was salvageable but the tie was in 4 pieces.

Puhoi-Pub_inside_740_1.jpg

12 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

For the fans:

mg.thumb.jpg.d663c7ad88783e0dc89985d09ad797f2.jpg

Many thanks Ren, I think she and I should do some Ketchuping very soon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

^^^Paps I think they need more shit on the walls there.

Well yes it is a wee but distracting. Some great old logging and sawmilling stuff amongst it though.

1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

Had to think of @Elisa all the time...

Renn I was thinking the same thing..that girl and her pom poms should start thinking about supporting the beef/fat lamb and potato farmer producers in the UK and give that Vegan thing the heave ho :-)

03-Kate_Sent-008.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

Some volunteered, but also some of them are already working for the team or doing deliveries for a living. Just sayin ;)  I understand that some are thinking that this was impressive and a sign of something, I don't. Getting the boat to Itajai was just logistics. 

That being said, they are a fantastic group of people who I'd trust my life with. Meaning the delivery team ;) 

Thanks, NBG, for clarifying who the crew were. And, glad you are back out racing yourself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

^^^Paps I think they need more shit on the walls there.

But where are all the tables? I see one...plus a couple bars with stools, and a lot of empty space for..dancing drop bears? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

and a lot of empty space for..dancing drop bears? 

Nah..passing out. They don't hold their drink well that lot.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

But where are all the tables? I see one...plus a couple bars with stools, and a lot of empty space for..dancing drop bears? 

Have you never seen a boxing ring?

• Like 2

Things are not looking good for Shang. He  has been showered and shaved ....unfortunately the only word he can utter at this point is "Don..Telefon"

Everyone is rushing around Gothenburg looking for a "Don.." guy with a phone but they are thin on the ground there.

images (33).jpeg

40 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Renn I was thinking the same thing..that girl and her pom poms should start thinking about supporting the beef/fat lamb and potato farmer producers in the UK and give that Vegan thing the heave ho :-)

03-Kate_Sent-008.jpg

Ah thank you, moved by both your concerns, I’m doing absolutely fine, preparing for an epic finish in The Hague.   :D

Does anyone know, where can I find the dock interviews etc to rewatch?

maxresdefault.jpg

How the scores work please. 

1) extra point for winning a leg? What does that mean. Surely daft. What do those points count to the overall 

2) if a tie break at the end then is it overall in port racing or just the last in port race position as in individual legs.

3) Does the overall elapsed time count for anything. 

4) Can overall elapsed time winner,  get the best overall elapsed time even though not finishing a leg, e.g. with the +24 hours added 

^^ Mambo is the keeper of all things scoring...he is the only one here who can add up and is sober as a judge.

31 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

1) extra point for winning a leg? What does that mean. Surely daft. What do those points count to the overall 

2) if a tie break at the end then is it overall in port racing or just the last in port race position as in individual legs.

4) Can overall elapsed time winner,  get the best overall elapsed time even though not finishing a leg, e.g. with the +24 hours added 

I think I get it. Overall includes the bonus points, but not in port points unless still a tiebreak. 

Bonus points include one for best elapsed time. Though it appears that the best elapsed time might not have to complete all the legs (+24 hours from the last boat if not completed a leg). 

2 hours ago, Elisa said:

Does anyone know, where can I find the dock interviews etc to rewatch?

the VOR page has posted the Complete Arrivals on the News page. Part 2 has most of the dock interviews.

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/video/11938_Arrivals-in-Gothenburg-Part-Two-full-replay.html

Expect they are all in Renny's Leg 10 playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHfZ45GKKMGI5Z-nOLV0qZk-ywzvdyYi2

Fuck the race.. we really need to get Shanghai Steve out of that horrible place.

Anyone own an old Triumph?

5 hours ago, mario147 said:

wich makes me think of a rules defect... imagine DF does not finish this leg, they will get last boat time + 24 hrs. Then compare with Mapfre time heavily penalized by the main tack isues they had that made them loose the low trains... then you got a boat not finishing having an overall time better than a boat that managed to finish all stages?

Anyway if DF does not finish that extra point will be peanuts... but rules are not right to me.

The finishing times are so close with this one design format that it would be near impossible to win the bonus point if you carried a 24 hour penalty.  For example if DF added 24 hours to their time, they would no longer have the fastest elapsed time. 

However I agree with you in principle. If you cannot finish a leg, I think the bonus point for best elapsed time should be out of contention. 

14 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

The incredible happened. A THREE WAY TIE FOR FIRST going into the last leg.

This will be the first and last time we see this in the Volvo Ocean Race. History in the making!

image.png.be8299fa06a54b05848a329a976196ce.png

Scoring:

The In Port Races can now only matter to TTOP and SHKS. TTOP really have to stop coming last on the in-ports and get closer in points to SHKS.

For the winner overall, it will be whoever beats the other two. Its going to be that simple. We will either see:

1. Bouwe's first victory after 8 attempts.  More circuits round the planet by any other skipper in the histroy of the race before finally winning or

2. The first Spanish victory in the history of the race after countless entries.

3.  The first winner in the history of the race who did not win a single leg until the last leg.

As I said, its history in the making any which way that you slice it.

Worth reposting in the Leg 11 thread, methinks. 

I can't find any information about onboard guests in the in-port races....does anybody know? It usually looks like each boat have a guest or two....

2 hours ago, winchfodder said:

1. Winning, coming first, is considered special, the hardest of all. In several scoring series sports, the winner gets additional points. For example, in Formula One, the winner gets 25 points making Grand Prix victories an essential ingredient in becoming world champion. 

The bonus point for winning the leg is added to the team score as part of overall score. Another way to look at it is that the leg winner gets 8 points and second place gets 6 points. (15 vs 12 in double point legs)

This race has developed into a unique situation. (Again, history in the making)....if the bonus points are excluded, the boat with the fastest elapsed time, Dongfeng, would be winning this race by a country mile. But, due to the bonus points, they are all tied up in a three way tie.

Just think about that, the boat that got around the planet in the shortest time....and sailed to the most consistent podium finishes ....faces the possibility of not winning the race around the world.

Because as  Norm Cressy, used to say "Nobody remembers who came second"

17 minutes ago, Mambo Kings said:

The finishing times are so close with this one design format that it would be near impossible to win the bonus point if you carried a 24 hour penalty.  For example if DF added 24 hours to their time, they would no longer have the fastest elapsed time. 

However I agree with you in principle. If you cannot finish a leg, I think the bonus point for best elapsed time should be out of contention. 

I agree. A boat that does not finish a leg cannot have a total elapsed time. Does not make sense.

^^ thanks Stief!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, winchfodder said:

2. A tie break for the winner after the next leg to The Hague is now mathematically impossible. But if it had occured, it would be resolved by the overall total in port racing score. 

The in port race scores could affect who finishes last because a tie break for last is very possible.  The next two in port races will matter to TTOP and SHKS . Can we expect some fireworks?

3. Yes the fastest boat around the planet in elapsed time gets a bonus point added to their score. In this case it is currently Dongfeng

4.  In practical terms with the close racing we have had between these boats, No. Theoretically, you may be right and the answer yes....but I have not checked in any detail.

8 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

I can't find any information about onboard guests in the in-port races....does anybody know? It usually looks like each boat have a guest or two....

That info seems to show up at the last moment, or just after the Race in team tweets / home pages.

Probably for security reasons, but have't come across a nice clear reason yet.

1 minute ago, stief said:

That info seems to show up at the last moment, or just after the Race in team tweets / home pages.

Probably for security reasons, but have't come across a nice clear reason yet.

:) I was more thinking about what the rules say about it :)  

14 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Was just looking those up - - - from the SI. 

3.1 Guests Safety: Pro-Am and In-Port Races

When the Race Committee (RC) is concerned that weather, sea or other conditions may impact the safety of the guests onboard for a Pro-Am or In-Port Race the RC shall meet with all PICs the morning of the day concerned to discuss the situation, following that meeting the RC shall decide which ‘stage’ is applicable for that day’s racing, when the stage is agreed the decision will be posted on the Noticeboard.

(a)

(b)

Guidance on guest restrictions for In-Port Race day due to weather and sea conditions

Stage 1

No change.

Stage 2

Guests may be behind the helm or in the companionway area.

Stage 3

The Boat shall have a chaperone to look after the guests, the chaperone shall comply with NOR 7.1.9, as if they were a guest.

Stage 4

There shall be no guests onboard.

Guidance on race format and boat configuration for Pro-Am races due to weather and sea conditions

Stage 1

No Change.

Stage 2

Restrict sail codes.

Stage 3

Sailing but no Pro-Am race.

Stage 4

Guests boat tour.

On a Pro-Am race day the RC may change the stage should the conditions change by alerting all Boats by VHF or verbally by a RC representative or an umpire.

NOTE: THE OA RECOMMENDS THAT AS A MINIMUM LIFEJACKETS ARE WORN WHILE ON DECK BETWEEN SUNSET AND SUNRISE, WHILE SAILING WITH A REEF IN THE MAINSAIL AND WHEN THE TRUE WIND STRENGTH IS ABOVE 15 KNOTS. COMBINED LIFEJACKET AND HARNESSES THAT COMPLY WITH ALL OF THE ABOVE STANDARDS ARE PERMITTED. THE DILIGENT USE OF A PROPERLY ADJUSTED HARNESS IS REGARDED AS BY FAR THE MOST EFFECTIVE WAY OF PREVENTING MAN OVERBOARD INCIDENTS.

and

1. 6.1  No later than 48 hours before the intended start time of a Pro-Am Race, In-Port Race

or Leg each Participant shall supply the Organising Authority (OA) with:

1. (a)  The list of names and positions of the Crew Members, the Onboard Reporter (OBR) and the Guests who are to sail in that Pro-Am, In-Port, Race or Leg shall be entered or changed on the crew and guest lists for the applicable race Crew & Guest Lists 2017-18.

(Access to the Crew and Guest Lists page needs permission from Jack Lloyd, so semi-private.).

NOR details are here https://www.volvooceanrace.com/static/assets/content_v2/media/files/m46592_nor-2017-18-amendment-10-20180126.pdf (too many to post), but the most interesting is that there SHALL be a special guest on each boat for the entire last Leg.

1. 11.20  A VIP or media guest, approved by the OA, shall be carried by all Teams on the final leg of the race. The PIC (sea) shall submit a request to the RC in writing at least one month before the start of the final leg giving the guest’s name. The OA will not normally approve a current or past professional sailor as a guest for this activity. The guest will be required to have completed sea survival training approved by the OA.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NORBowGirl said:

You mean, can Ben Ainslie and Glen Ashby show up as guests on TTOP ?

i recall the rules saying something about guests cannot contribute to the racing.

Just to clarify, Dongfeng can win overall, even without ever winning a leg. They just need to beat Mapfre and Brunel- positions could be 4-5-6 in the last leg and they would still win.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stief said:

the VOR page has posted the Complete Arrivals on the News page. Part 2 has most of the dock interviews.

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/video/11938_Arrivals-in-Gothenburg-Part-Two-full-replay.html

Expect they are all in Renny's Leg 10 playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHfZ45GKKMGI5Z-nOLV0qZk-ywzvdyYi2

Would be 48 videos to upload, man, I haven't got the time... :(

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Would be 48 videos to upload, man, I haven't got the time... :(

Ok, the first batch from last night:

VNR 15 June, B-roll Arrival, Vestas 11th Hour Racing
VNR 15 June, docking & interview, Charlie Enright, Vestas 11th Hour Racing
VNR 15 June, interview, Mark Towill, Vestas 11th Hour Racing
VNR 15 June, interview, Simon Fisher, Vestas 11th Hour Racing
VNR 15 June, interview in Danish, Jena Mai Hansen, Vestas 11th Hour Racing

VNR 15 June, B-roll & interview, David Witt, Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag
VNR 15 June, interview, David Witt, Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Ok, the first batch from last night:

VNR 15 June, B-roll Arrival, Vestas 11th Hour Racing
VNR 15 June, docking & interview, Charlie Enright, Vestas 11th Hour Racing
VNR 15 June, interview, Mark Towill, Vestas 11th Hour Racing
VNR 15 June, interview, Simon Fisher, Vestas 11th Hour Racing
VNR 15 June, interview in Danish, Jena Mai Hansen, Vestas 11th Hour Racing

VNR 15 June, B-roll & interview, David Witt, Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag
VNR 15 June, interview, David Witt, Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag

Oh no! Appreciated, but unexpected. There must be better ways to enjoy your time in Gothenburg . . . . 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, stief said:

Oh no! Appreciated, but unexpected. There must be better ways to enjoy your time in Gothenburg . . . . 

Haha, too much sightseeing today, feet are hurting...

Batch 2 (say hello to your wife):

VNR 15 June, B-roll Arrival, Dongfeng
VNR 15 June, interview, Charles Caudrelier, Dongfeng
VNR 15 June, interview, Daryl Wislang, Dongfeng
VNR 15 June, interview, Jack Bouttell, Dongfeng 
VNR 15 June, interview, Kevin Escoffier, Dongfeng
VNR 15 June, interview in French, Kevin Escoffier, Dongfeng
VNR 15 June, interview in French, Justine Mettraux, Dongfeng
VNR 15 June, interview in Chinese, Liu Xue ‘Black’, Dongfeng

VNR 15 June, interview, B-roll Arrival, Turn the Tide on Plastic
VNR 15 June, interview, Dee Caffari, Turn the Tide on Plastic

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bbl said:

And the sand can be very tricky, extending miles out at sea. Better not get too close.

You can certainly get some really weird waves right over the ridge extending from the land when you have waves from Kattegat and Skagerak meeting up at the tip.  Have eaten unsuspecting beach goers on occasion with fatal outcomes as there is often a current running out from the beach mixed in

More... Akzo:

VNR 15 June, B-roll Arrival, AkzoNobel
VNR 15 June, interview, Simeon Tienpont, AkzoNobel
VNR 15 June, interview in Dutch, Simeon Tienpont, AkzoNobel
VNR 15 June, interview, Jules Salter, AkzoNobel
VNR 15 June, interview, Chris Nicholson, AkzoNobel
VNR 15 June, interview, Brad Farrand, AkzoNobel
VNR 15 June, interview, Luke Molloy, AkzoNobel
VNR 15 June, interview, Justin Ferris, AkzoNobel
VNR 15 June, interview, Martine Grael, AkzoNobel
VNR 15 June, interview in Portuguese, Martine Grael, AkzoNobel
VNR 15 June, interview, Emily Nagel, AkzoNobel
VNR 15 June, interview, Nicolai Sehested, AkzoNobel
VNR 15 June, interview in Danish, Nicolai Sehested, AkzoNobel

Mapfre:

VNR 15 June, interview, Blair Tuke, Mapfre
VNR 15 June, interview, Rob Greenhalgh, Mapfre
VNR 15 June, interview in Spanish, Xabi Fernández, Mapfre
VNR 15 June, interview in Spanish, Xabi Fernández, Mapfre
VNR 15 June, interview in Basque, Xabi Fernández, Mapfre
VNR 15 June, interview in Basque, Xabi Fernández, Mapfre
VNR 15 June, interview in Spanish, Támara Echegoyen, Mapfre
VNR 15 June, interview in Gallego, Támara Echegoyen, Mapfre
VNR 15 June, interview in Spanish, Joan Vila, Mapfre
VNR 15 June, interview in Catalan, Joan Vila, Mapfre
VNR 15 June, interview in Spanish, Pablo Arrarte, Mapfre

And finally Brunel plus some arrival footage incl. Mapfre...

VNR 15 June, Leg 10 Arrivals of Brunel and Mapfre
VNR 15 June, B-roll, Brunel-Mapfre arrivals
VNR 15 June, interview in Dutch, Bouwe Bekking, Brunel
VNR 15 June, interview, Abby Ehler, Brunel
VNR 15 June, interview, Peter Burling, Brunel 
VNR 15 June, interview in Flemish, Louis Balcaen, Brunel

• Like 1

BIG thank you Rennie!! Hope you’ve had a fantastic day in Gothenburg, I bet atmosphere is great. 

• Like 2

I didn't know that the Dutch could sail anything other than dark blue and cream boats but they seem to be getting the hang of a yellow one! Impressive trim and driving in that chop. I like! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, littlechay said:

Impressive trim and driving in that chop.

I’d be curious to hear more views on Brunel’s push through the fleet.   They pulled off more, much more, than a short-lived squirt mode.    It was a sustained and material speed advantage over every boat.   Seems though after they pulled ahead and the wind went aft a bit that Mapfre held their own.   Was there something specifiic to heavy air tight reaching for which Brunel had the sauce?   On most boats that condition would be pushing max heel and weather helm.   My guess for the secret sauce would be trimming in the gusts.   Anyone pickup anything from the videos?  

18 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

Yeah... RIght...

I had my suspicion when the link above states:

"Seasonality

Appears yearly, 1st April."

And then I search in Wikipedia the latin name and that cleared all doubts.

Good one, though...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Skid51 said:

I’d be curious to hear more views on Brunel’s push through the fleet.   They pulled off more, much more, than a short-lived squirt mode.    It was a sustained and material speed advantage over every boat.   Seems though after they pulled ahead and the wind went aft a bit that Mapfre held their own.   Was there something specifiic to heavy air tight reaching for which Brunel had the sauce?   On most boats that condition would be pushing max heel and weather helm.   My guess for the secret sauce would be trimming in the gusts.   Anyone pickup anything from the videos?  

I think driving may be as much of a factor as trimming. Driving off in the heavy gust and coming up in the lighter stuff and working the swell of course. One thing I did notice was that BRUNEL seemed to have more main up than MAPFRE at times (they were pretty much in the same water and wind conditions too). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

I think driving may be as much of a factor as trimming. Driving off in the heavy gust and coming up in the lighter stuff and working the swell of course. One thing I did notice was that BRUNEL seemed to have more main up than MAPFRE at times (they were pretty much in the same water and wind conditions too). 

I agree; most likely down to driving. 

1 hour ago, littlechay said:

I agree; most likely down to driving. 

No doubt that driving was a critical factor. Bouwe also mentioned that they had managed their sail inventory very well and had pulled out a new sail for the leg.

I still am sceptical the 'new sail' made the difference. MAPF had a newer main than TBRU, so it should have been a bigger factor than a smaller jib.

Too, MAPF was almost able to match TBRU once they were close enough, and then both extended on the others, even when the COGs, TWAs and TWS looked similar across the fleet.  As those numbers showed advantage to one or the other, TBRU was able to get the most out of the puffs, and presumably, waves. Looked like MAPF learned from TBRU, but were less practised/ skilled in that mode.

After being glued to the tracker numbers for hours and watching the hell clip,  looked like driving was key.

Darn! I'd hoped the battle in the Baltic would give a signal that MAPF 'coulda' matched TBRU to the Horn had their track been healthy. Sadly, I think TBRU would have got that Horn point anyway, through better driving. 

Still think MAPF will have learned, and hope to see TBRU  chasing them into the Hague ;) 

12 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

You mean, can Ben Ainslie and Glen Ashby show up as guests on TTOP ?

Probably not. The rule [re mandated VIP guest on final leg] cited above your question, 19., 11.20, states in pertinent part "The OA will not normally approve a past or current professional sailor as a guest for this activity.  Curious. 

Does anyone remember a while back Bouwe stating that his boat had always been a bit slow on port tack ? Could that mean it's real quick on stbd ? Either that or he thought " 8 laps, no wins, now or never". It's often said that the race is balance between pushing and keeping the boat in one piece, maybe at the moment when it counted Bouwe went into shit or bust mode. I doubt he gives much of fuck about coming 2nd or 3rd overall.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, V21 said:

... I doubt he (Bouwe) gives much of fuck about coming 2nd or 3rd overall.

I would rethink that thought, unless you mean #1 or nothing.

8 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I would rethink that thought, unless you mean #1 or nothing.

That's exactly what I mean, he may well have been thinking 1 or nothing, don't spare the horse(s)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, V21 said:

That's exactly what I mean, he may well have been thinking 1 or nothing, don't spare the horse(s)

Yep. They'll be the same ones Jack reckons were blazing in MAPFRE's rear vision mirror. We even have a pic somewhere I think - so it definitely happened. ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, V21 said:

Thank goodness because Bouwe and Capey will jump over the side and swim to the Hague if needed to drag Yellow over the line ahead of the Umbilical Brothers Red.

9 hours ago, Saakk said:

@NORBowGirl
Tar du turen til Gøteborg i helga?

Kanskje imorgen! :) 

2 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

Kanskje imorgen! :) 

Self quote :) 

Yep, I’m going. Hopefully sleep on a boat in the village marina. And hopefully track down shanghaisailor! Or any other anarchists really, for a chat and a beer :) pm me if this sounds irresistible.

5 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Self quote :) 

Yep, I’m going. Hopefully sleep on a boat in the village marina. And hopefully track down shanghaisailor! Or any other anarchists really, for a chat and a beer :) pm me if this sounds irresistible.

I'm wearing an Anarchy cap and an orange backpack with a yellow smiley

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

I'm wearing an Anarchy cap and an orange backpack with a yellow smiley

I’ll look like a supermodel. Haha, hardly. Jeans and yellow t-shirt, blonde and tall. 

• Like 2

On 6/15/2018 at 2:00 AM, Rennmaus said:

For the fans:

Excellent. But I prefer the clip of her snapping the batten.

Note from non-expert - 

I hate being rolled, especially by an identical boat. 

Should Mapf have defended more aggressively?  Did they have a chance to sail higher and force BRU to pass below them? 

(I realize Mapf would have needed to sail higher way in advance to be in a position to take BRU up) 

What other option did they have? 

I helped move Scallywag :D and tied the springs for the stern, and tied the fenders. 

I’m quite glad I went :) 

• Like 1

Had some fun...

• Like 11