Herman

VOR Leg 10 Cardiff to Gothenburg

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Hydrogene said:

Possibly the worst start possible for Dongfeng... As if the situation and the ranking weren't stresfull enough already! 

 

We are so impatient- after just 25 miles of racing, about 2% of this leg, and Dongfeng is now leading, with TTOP in 2nd and Scally in 3rd. A bit more breeze away from shore...

I think there is lots of more of this kind of thing to come, as there is plenty of land to get around.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oceangeek said:

We are so impatient- after just 25 miles of racing, about 2% of this leg, and Dongfeng is now leading, with TTOP in 2nd and Scally in 3rd. A bit more breeze away from shore...

I think there is lots of more of this kind of thing to come, as there is plenty of land to get around.

Yes. I realize how silly I look now! :D

It must have a strategy by Pascal all the way since the start, letting Mapfre and Brunel get away first, get a good lead, and pounce from behind to crush their morale ! (not really, but hey, one can dream...)

You are right, still a long way to go, with lots of complex tactical choices to make. But I'm breathing a little bit more easily with DF in that position.

Capture.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, oceangeek said:

We are so impatient- after just 25 miles of racing, about 2% of this leg, and Dongfeng is now leading, with TTOP in 2nd and Scally in 3rd. A bit more breeze away from shore...

I think there is lots of more of this kind of thing to come, as there is plenty of land to get around.

Yes. Dong off to a very good start. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, oceangeek said:

A bit more breeze away from shore...

More outgoing tide but that is all but gone soon and not too sure about more breeze. There are three English navigators (if you count Capey's time there) favouring the right side for a reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The start highlights:
 

And the full replay... Good night.:
 

Has this already been posted?
 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeez, what is Scally doing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Jeez, what is Scally doing? 

Perhaps they got caught in both less wind and some flood current?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@shanghaisailor yes, Brian did have the RBI record, as did Dee when she beat the VO70 record on the IMOCA. Since beaten by a VO65. All of those records were going the other way round...

Someone asked if Pedro had only lasted one leg on Sally. Coming in so late he already had lots of prior commitments, and just could not afford to lose the work for the rest of the year. Understandable. 

DFRT ended up in Brunel and Vestas' gas after the start, tacked to clear and then got screwed by the left over downwash of the media helo. Still.... Seems to have paid off! 

Eta Thursday night/Friday morning. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, oceangeek said:

Perhaps they got caught in both less wind and some flood current?

Amazing that they were only a mile south of the others when they hit the wall, and they have been struggling ever since. Not a lucky moment...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mapfre simply has no clue what to do with a lead. 
Now they can follow DF again and are back in their comfort zone.

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Milli said:

Mapfre simply has no clue what to do with a lead. 
Now they can follow DF again and are back in their comfort zone.

Really? Mapfre have won more legs than any other boat. And Dongfeng haven't won any. Go figure...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scally missed the gate, now no wind and the current pushing her back towards the start at 1 - 2 k for the next few hours...no happy ending there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Scally missed the gate, now no wind and the current pushing her back towards the start at 1 - 2 k for the next few hours...no happy ending there.

Just looking at that. So cruel. DFRT must be thanking their lucky stars for the puff that allowed them to duck the same fate,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stief said:

Just looking at that. So cruel. DFRT must be thanking their lucky stars for the puff that allowed them to duck the same fate,

I don't know, Scally was just 1 mile under Dongfeng and Ttop's track, and less than 2 miles from 5 other boats, when their wind died, and maybe they hit an early eddy? They had been doing fine up until this point:

 

v3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, oceangeek said:

I don't know, Scally was just 1 mile under Dongfeng and Ttop's track, and less than 2 miles from 5 other boats, when their wind died, and maybe they hit an early eddy? They had been doing fine up until this point:

Yes, not sure what happened. The 'lucky puff' (trackback; 17:25 UTC-> 17:45) happened just before MAPF won their nefarious hole-hunting competition ;) , but as your screen shows, 2 1/2 hrs later SHKS were still close enough. 

1545709118_ScreenShot2018-06-10at5_32_32PM.png.41d0a46dd13ef58a728d31c0de21c9fe.png1890667789_ScreenShot2018-06-10at5_38_39PM.png.d64e157060364e5e870c448d75fa67dc.png

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like it was a good start to miss.
Scally is getting in deeper shit by the minute!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually looking at the tracker replay is Scally anchored?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Looks like it was a good start to miss.
Scally is getting in deeper shit by the minute!

Oh Paps. Good start to watch. Start at 15 mins, action at 14

see Renny's posts above.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just starting to get some breeze now, how long till the tide changes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Just starting to get some breeze now, how long till the tide changes?

Note Scally's anchor...v4.jpg.fdfef5f03c20ba6bc56719a036b5ec9f.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anchored and philosophical:

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scallywags going backwards by .2 nm a minute. Hard to see them getting lucky from here. Fuck, what a disaster that start has proved to be.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't watch this, going down to the boat :(

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bajankiwi said:

what sort of depth are SHKS anchored in? 

1173211452_ScreenShot2018-06-10at6_54_40PM.png.f3adbc1746ec73474abdde71c2e5fd4f.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, bajankiwi said:

is that feet, fathoms or metres?

No-one uses imperial any more - do they? Oh yes perhaps the Septics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stief said:

Just looking at that. So cruel. DFRT must be thanking their lucky stars for the puff that allowed them to duck the same fate,

You throw the dice Stief and sometimes it works out. I was sitting here in China with my little Reed's Almanac (well not so little it must weigh 3kg +) and the high tide corrected for Cardiff was very close to start time, the tidal atlas (and common sense) shows it runs much faster further from the shore and the effect was already apparent on the start line it should have been obvious to get out into it. In fact I called it shortly after the start. In some ways it was 'needs must' for DF but they just sailed round the whole fleet.I found it strange that the likes of Mapfre stayed so close inshore but perhaps they were frightened of what has now happened to Scallywag but as they were leading at that point if it had happened to them it would have happened to everyone else.

Too early for the Dongers to celebrate, it is only a 3 mile lead with 1200 to go but it is a good start.

SS

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

You throw the dice Stief and sometimes it works out. I was sitting here in China with my little Reed's Almanac (well not so little it must weigh 3kg +) and the high tide corrected for Cardiff was very close to start time, the tidal atlas (and common sense) shows it runs much faster further from the shore and the effect was already apparent on the start line it should have been obvious to get out into it. In fact I called it shortly after the start. In some ways it was 'needs must' for DF but they just sailed round the whole fleet.I found it strange that the likes of Mapfre stayed so close inshore but perhaps they were frightened of what has now happened to Scallywag but as they were leading at that point if it had happened to them it would have happened to everyone else.

Too early for the Dongers to celebrate, it is only a 3 mile lead with 1200 to go but it is a good start.

SS

Wondered if you'd bring up post 195 (figured #192 was your take on that moment). 

Inshore would likely have been better, but the breeze died there for enough minutes for the centre to pay off the gamble. Wonder where DFRT would have chosen to be had their start not forced them elsewhere.

As you say, too early to celebrate or mourn, but dang! sure is painful for SHKS. Gotta love yacht racing, even in all the conditions they have and will face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stief said:

Yes, not sure what happened. The 'lucky puff' (trackback; 17:25 UTC-> 17:45) happened just before MAPF won their nefarious hole-hunting competition ;) , but as your screen shows, 2 1/2 hrs later SHKS were still close enough. 

1545709118_ScreenShot2018-06-10at5_32_32PM.png.41d0a46dd13ef58a728d31c0de21c9fe.png1890667789_ScreenShot2018-06-10at5_38_39PM.png.d64e157060364e5e870c448d75fa67dc.png

 

Wow, what a difference 20 minutes make.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Varan said:

Wow, what a difference 20 minutes make.

Indeed. Left my dock after the start and thought MAPF was OK, then got home 2 hrs later and went WTF??? Trackback showed the moment. Somewhat funny, actually.

(And "puff' is incorrect (at least as far as the tables showed). Still haven't looked back enough to see if it was more about current or wind.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JBC link to TBRU vid of the start , with some fun moments, like horse-force-carrots, protest, and Capey (noticeboard protest details not up yet).

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stief said:

Wondered if you'd bring up post 195 (figured #192 was your take on that moment). 

Inshore would likely have been better, but the breeze died there for enough minutes for the centre to pay off the gamble. Wonder where DFRT would have chosen to be had their start not forced them elsewhere.

As you say, too early to celebrate or mourn, but dang! sure is painful for SHKS. Gotta love yacht racing, even in all the conditions they have and will face.

Was in two minds Stief, didn't want it to sound like a boast. Inshore in very seldom better with a fair tide and the way DF went past the rest in only slightly deeper water, very similar wind but at times they had several knots more than the inshore boats.

I remember a race, must be 18 years ago, we were the bottom end of H'Çap 1. All the other boats ahead rushed upwind, downtide to the 1st turning mark. rounded and headed off across estuary and just kept going on the tide in the wrong direction. I got the crew to prepare the anchor. We rounded and almost immediately kedged with our spinnaker barely drawing. A puff would come, we'd sail up to the anchor, lift it then as soon as a transit showed us stopping we lowered again. I had a crew on the bow with the anchor, another on the foredeck, I was at the mast and the only crew in the cockpit was my 14 yr old daughter on the helm. We were bow down and stern up and I was told later someone on one of the other boats could see our keel root. We ended up 2 miles (at least) ahead of the second boat. Just as we started to think we might have this one we arrived at a breakwater that took us out into the tide and forward motion stopped. 10 minutes later the bastards abandoned the race. It was the right thing to do however.

As the breakwater was at the marina entrance we were well into our second pint by the time the others made the YC bar.

It was a really strange evening's sailing. It just amazed me that in such small wind and a big tide that no one else had considered having the anchor ready.

SS

 

7 minutes ago, Varan said:

Wow, what a difference 20 minutes make.

Tide can be heaven or hell see above anecdote.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Scally finally picked up the anchor?  ...  just 74 miles behind now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oceangeek said:

Looks like Scally finally picked up the anchor?  ...  just 74 miles behind now.

Poor old Scally. This leg around the land leaves them no options for banging corners. Just a procession to the finish with a fee tidal gates 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending on the timing of the ridge coming through Scally might get a compression boost ..but a 100+ mile leg up..eeek.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a ClusterF$#@ for Scally.  That start line fiasco put them behind the eight ball from the get-go.  I'm pleased that Dee was able to maintain pace with the fleet despite being shut out on the line. 

Note to self - Only visit Cardiff to watch rugby.  It hasn't really sold itself well to the global audience as a sailing destination.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Forestdawg said:

Anchored and philosophical:

 

Great seamanship! In shoal water with big currents and no anchor ready to go ... oh wait not just not ready to go, not built, fucking about with nuts and bolts. Incredible. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

The two cloggies are on the move.

got some nice local pressure there I think

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

got some nice local pressure there I think

 

.....and Charles is starting to hallucinate.

assembly-1500914_960_720.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes! Very exiting, bring it on! 

may the best boat win..... as long as it is yellow and black :P.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, littlechay said:

Great seamanship! In shoal water with big currents and no anchor ready to go ... oh wait not just not ready to go, not built, fucking about with nuts and bolts. Incredible. 

Yeah, as I understand it the anchor is sealed in place, as previously teams would add it to 'the stack', so releasing it requires permission of the Race Director,  and has to be filmed and recorded including the GPS metadata. So I assume that teams leave it until the last minute before having to go through the 'faff'.

Same thing on DFRT and Vestas in Newport, Last minute rush when they realised they would need it. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Yes! Very exiting, bring it on! 

may the best boat win..... as long as it is yellow and black :P.

now there's a dichotomy for you :-)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will enjoy the upcoming compression, and cross my fingers for a glass out for the front boats and continued wind for Scally. That's not too much to ask for, is it? :D

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just back from the boat, looks like Scally anchored pretty well most of the night. I bet tempers were fraying onboard, poor buggers. What's 100 miles?, only a 10% disadvantage!!
Go Brunel!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

I will enjoy the upcoming compression, and cross my fingers for a glass out for the front boats and continued wind for Scally. That's not too much to ask for, is it? :D

I think your being a tad optimistic girl.

images (31).jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Potter said:

Yeah, as I understand it the anchor is sealed in place, as previously teams would add it to 'the stack', so releasing it requires permission of the Race Director,  and has to be filmed and recorded including the GPS metadata. So I assume that teams leave it until the last minute before having to go through the 'faff'.

Same thing on DFRT and Vestas in Newport, Last minute rush when they realised they would need it. 

 

What a bizarre situation, shirley it could be sealed in place but ready to deploy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

now there's a dichotomy for you :-)

 

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I think your being a tad optimistic girl.

 

You THINK? ;)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NORBowGirl said:

You THINK? ;)  

Try using your good eye...................

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

You THINK? ;)  

No I just TINK...and please don't ask me to say "Yes, Seth, I suppose the ship is sinking".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, paps49 said:

What a bizarre situation, shirley it could be sealed in place but ready to deploy?

Are you serious?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The three following Brunel could almost borrow a cup of sugar from each other

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was super impressed by the boat speeds, but it must be SOG, right?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Potter said:

Yeah, as I understand it the anchor is sealed in place, as previously teams would add it to 'the stack', so releasing it requires permission of the Race Director,  and has to be filmed and recorded including the GPS metadata. So I assume that teams leave it until the last minute before having to go through the 'faff'.

Same thing on DFRT and Vestas in Newport, Last minute rush when they realised they would need it. 

 

Ahhhh that explains it. You would think that the race rules would require the opposite i.e. that the anchor be ready to go when over the continental shelf or something similar and stowed in a fixed place at sea. Would be easy enough to monitor that it had been correctly stowed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

I was super impressed by the boat speeds, but it must be SOG, right?  

Yes SOG.. however once they get into some big breeze up north that will change and then depend on  B&G Altimeter readouts mounted in those wearing Clogs :-)

unnamed (3).gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

The three following Brunel could almost borrow a cup of sugar from each other

I hope they have a large supply of these in Gothenburg.

images (32).jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Are you serious?

 

Yep, I just called you Shirley, deal with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Yep, I just called you Shirley, deal with it.

Thats OK..you were kind enough not to make me say it and then make fun of my bad lisp.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scally is doing really well but the hole is opening up ahead and it all comes to naught.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe this was posted in the NP to Cardiff forum but I cant seem to locate it.  Can someone please explain the reason for the exclusion zone south of Fastnet rock.

Thanks in advance...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Murph said:

I believe this was posted in the NP to Cardiff forum but I cant seem to locate it.  Can someone please explain the reason for the exclusion zone south of Fastnet rock.

Thanks in advance...

I guess it's to avoid a TSS for cargo ships 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Fasnet rock a mark of the course?

judging from DF, I guess not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Murph said:

I believe this was posted in the NP to Cardiff forum but I cant seem to locate it.  Can someone please explain the reason for the exclusion zone south of Fastnet rock.

Thanks in advance...

As shown on the tracker (click the Navionics button):

v5.jpg.774f5f5b5216e02af021cf322e1af94c.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hadn't noticed this "Potential Points Calculator" before. Makes it easy to play with different scenarios, and saves a lot of math...

v7.jpg.d1baf9c9adbebf52cfb14e26e3a2e577.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the boats. VO65s meet Gitana Ultime

Quote

3 hours ago

First update from skipper Dee Caffari onboard Turn the Tide on Plastic: 

A light start but enough breeze to keep us pointing the right direction to make the most of the tide. We were swept out of the Bristol Channel, and luckily made it through the transition of light wind before the tide turned.

The new northerly wind strengthened and we enjoyed a fast reach across the Celtic Sea. Today we will clear the Fastnet Rock and start short tacking up the west coast of Ireland. This morning we had a treat, the Gitana Ultime came screaming through the fleet at 30knots.

It looked so cool. There were six of us sailing together and then they came by and gave us a wave.

Dee and Team TTTOP.

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/fromtheboats.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

43 minutes ago, oceangeek said:

Nice live show and heli shots as the fleet pass fastnet, about 20 minutes' worth.

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1rmxPNLnkenGN

Good commentary from Conrad, short interview with Abby on Brunel.

embedded FB version

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the regular Live now on

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Potential points calculator

Noticed this in the Live under Racing tab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First update from skipper Bouwe Bekking onboard Team Brunel 

Cardiff showed itself from the its sunny side during start day... even no wind, it is nice to have such an easy start. We wiggled ourselves nicely to the front, but then parked up together with Mapfre and DF did the buffalo girl coming from way behind and keeping some pressure sliding into the lead.

Luckily we got some breeze shortly afterwards and started making gains around the other boats. Slowly the breeze increased during the night  and had to make several sail changes, which were perfectly timed.

Early this morning we had a fly by from Gitana, where our crew member from the Cape Horn leg, is onboard. Nice to see such a machine flying so effortless over the water. Sam, our OBR made some great footage, positioning his drone right in front of them and then flying underneath underneath the hull.

Can see Ireland now and wind is dropping, so the boats behinds likely will catch up ,but so will we with DF.

Cheers,

BB

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thomas Rouxel on board.  Video should be out soon.

Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 6.25.21 AM.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp. That's an own goal. 

DF continuously showing the best boat speed in multiple conditions, but the most questionable routing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious cross of the fleet.  Anyone arguing for multies in The Race just made their point.  65 crew looked envious.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites