Herman

VOR Leg 10 Cardiff to Gothenburg

Brunel capitalized.  Maybe Mapfre will sneak by.

8 hours ago, littlechay said:

Great seamanship! In shoal water with big currents and no anchor ready to go ... oh wait not just not ready to go, not built, fucking about with nuts and bolts. Incredible. 

Indeed, does not look very professional.

Some stuff added:

VNR 11 June, heli: fleet rounds the Fastnet Rock during Leg 10
VNR 11 June, interview, Peter Burling/Nina Curtis, Brunel. as fleet meets Gitana
VNR 10 June, Brunel Drone of the fleet off Welsh coasts 
VNR 10 June, Dongfeng extreme leg jumper Travis Rice
VNR 10 June, Interviews, Dee Caffari/Brian Thompson, Turn the Tide on Plastic
VNR 19 June, Route animation and wind, Leg 10 preview, Cardiff to Gothenburg
VNR 10 June, Route animation, Leg 10 start preview, Cardiff to Gothenburg

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, stief said:

Question re the 'adjusted' polars you and Volodia were testing: did that originate through his Polar part of the Pro Plug-in? I was never able to get that to work for individual teams.

The Pro-plugin is from this edition, the raw data for building the polars was collected at the previous edition. The option to export the relevant boat data with the plugin has been disabled on request of VOR AFAIK. That would have been nice, individual boat polars.

• Like 1

Charles and Pascal are going berserk, MAFPRE just passed them too. A Fastnet rounding not soon forgotten.

Schermafdruk 2018-06-11 17.07.57.png

• Like 1

Holly sh...

Perfect equality situation for the first three right now at overall ..

(except for overall time point for DF I guess)

UPDATES FROM ONBOARD ON DAY 1

brun-mapfr.png

Update 1434 UTC - 11/06/2018
Dongfeng sailed too close into the shore for a look at the amazing scenery and got stuck. We've just pulled ahead of them and taken the lead! Everyone is trying to jockey for best position when the Northerly breeze fills in and Capey is happy that we're currently the most Northerly boat. 

Sam Greenfield - OBR

• Like 2

The Scally's on falling behind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southerncross said:

Good grief this is tight!

Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 8.43.48 AM.png

And completely wrong as they are in VMG mode....

I think that it is

1 Brunel

2 Vestas

3-4 DF and the painters

5 Mapfre

6 TTOP

Vestas and Akzo managed to do what DF tried without success (get windward to everybody by hugging the caost before the shift).

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Flew the drone under the aka.  

Thanks for the vid ! First time the new foils of Gitana are visible to my knowledge, and they clearly have changed : the end point doesn't go back down as previously

A slow mo North/South split developing.

Potter, TToP in the lead making 10.

Newbie note - (the rest of ya know this, but newbies don't)

Assuming rough equivalence in navigation, one tenth of a knot of extra boat speed may decide the winner of the leg. (Maybe even 1/20 of a knot) 

Hmmm, wait, it's even less than that. One tenth of a knot works out to 600 feet per hour, 14,000 feet per day. 

Gotta like one design - hats off to the sailors !!  

(And equally impressive are their boat handling skills on the in-port races - awesome to maneuver 65 footers about short buoy courses!!) 

4 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Assuming rough equivalence in navigation, one tenth of a knot of extra boat speed may decide the winner of the leg. (Maybe even 1/20 of a knot) 

Hmmm, wait, it's even less than that. One tenth of a knot works out to 600 feet per hour, 14,000 feet per day. 

Not just the winner of the leg but also the winner of the race! 

One design but still there is:

Dongfeng amazes with the highest boat speed;

Painters are there in the rear mirror and will want to be in the mix for the podium finish his leg.

Capey is the best navigator;

Mapfre is cool as ice and will benefit most from other team’s mistakes;

Dee and Simon and Libby know these waters best;

Scally is the most creative and might find a corner to cut.

Lots and lots to play for and that is simply awesome!

Has trackerglueing as a word already been added to Oxford’s dictionary? ^_^

• Like 1

The OD difference is prob small enough that if a boat has a pair of crew members rotating off and on and their combined weight is 20 kg over another boat - routing and sailing abilities being equal - that's enough RM difference to perhaps give you a few hundred yards a day.

3 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

:DSome stuff added:

VNR 11 June, heli: fleet rounds the Fastnet Rock during Leg 10
VNR 11 June, interview, Peter Burling/Nina Curtis, Brunel. as fleet meets Gitana
VNR 10 June, Brunel Drone of the fleet off Welsh coasts 
VNR 10 June, Dongfeng extreme leg jumper Travis Rice
VNR 10 June, Interviews, Dee Caffari/Brian Thompson, Turn the Tide on Plastic
VNR 19 June, Route animation and wind, Leg 10 preview, Cardiff to Gothenburg
VNR 10 June, Route animation, Leg 10 start preview, Cardiff to Gothenburg

Thanks Renny, got myself a new wallpaper with Brunel and the Fastnet rock :D

• Like 1

Nice jobs by the painters. :)

1900 sked shows lead 6 using waypoint Puffin Island to calc DTF (not the island DFRT and AKZO are splitting around )

MAPF-TBRU cross.

1713973429_ScreenShot2018-06-11at1_32_49PM.png.d102cf930acf6926e590c8ac0baf26d7.png

• Like 1

Great tacking duel right now , picking the line through the islands and rocks.   Mapfre is pickin' 'em off one by one.   I like Brunel protecting the right side looking for a veer.  Akzo going to oblivion in the west.  

Belay that.. looking like Brunel overstood the next headland.  Close reaching.

12 minutes ago, Raked Aft\\ said:

haven't read the whole thread,

what's going on w Scally??

They missed the tide and had an anchor fest that lasted 3,5 hours

Schermafdruk 2018-06-11 22.19.25.png

4 hours ago, stief said:

Cool--AKZO flew their drone through an arch in the cliffs (JBC link here)

Very cool.

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 8.31.55 AM.png

• Like 3

BRUNEL fucked up big time back there. Clog hats would have been flying in all directions!

20 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

BRUNEL fucked up big time back there. Clog hats would have been flying in all directions!

Yep, some work to do to get that lead back. 

If the fcst is accurate, Scally may have a passing lane on the left.  Bang the corner while everyone else is fighting their way north.  First to get the southerly rolls.

59 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Indeed., and they know see the tweet below. Akzo did the same btw at 21:00 going NE when the rest went NW. Painfull to watch.

<thread drift>

I finished reading Gordon Bennett and the First Yacht Race Across the Atlantic last night. A recommended and entertaining read - the VOR lineage traces directly back to this 1866 race.

America waited 5 days for news of the result due to the faulty transatlantic cable. I couldn't help smile as I hit re-fresh on my phone and watched the VOR fleet creep forward in real time.

</thread drift>

Gordon Bennett.jpg

• Like 3

Wow what a night! Go Scally....

9 hours ago, southerncross said:

The mystery of the Akzo colors.

Southern he didn't explain how Akzo's palate was chosen. Like did they drop the first of those containers onto the dock and Akzo got the contents? 

Looking at all the padlocks and assuming the Boatyard is not full of thieving bastards it looks like in some countries 2K paints have to be locked away from the sniffers??? I would have thought heroin is cheaper than Awlgrip.

AZ and MF just got in phase with a 30 degree lift with 6 nm leverage = 3 miles.  Gotta wonder if they saw a cloud or how/if they picked that one.

1 hour ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

I finished reading Gordon Bennett and the First Yacht Race Across the Atlantic last night. A recommended and entertaining read - the VOR lineage traces directly back to this 1866 race.

Speaking of drift and lineage, two years later In May 1868 the beginnings of an English international sporting nightmare started called the Ashes.

The term "Ashes" originated in a satirical obituary published in a British newspaper, The Sporting Times, immediately after the Australian cricket teams victory at The Oval in 1882, their first Test win on English soil. The obituary stated that English cricket had died, and "the body will be cremated and the ashes taken to Australia". 

It was 14 years prior to this in 1868 that an Australian cricket team arriving in England became the first organised sporting team to leave the country.

However they were not what many of you are probably thinking. The team consisted of 13 Aboriginal men from the Western District of Victoria comprising the Jardwadjali, Gunditjmara and Wotjobalukmen people. They were coached and captained by an ex all-England cricketer, Charles Lawrence.

To put these two 1860's sporting contests in context it wasn't untill 1903 or 37/35 years later that first World Series Baseball and Tour de France were run coincidently in the same year. The first England Australia Rugby match wasn't played until 1909.

Offshore Yacht Racing and International Cricket have a lot in common.

images (23).jpeg

• Like 4

That's fantastic history JS. It's amazing how much history involving non Europeans just gets buried. I just learned that around 1870 a big fraction of the population of Victoria BC was Hawaiian.

Wasn't that JJ Giltnan fellow of 18 foot skiff fame some sort of cricket grandee? Or an Aussie rules football grandee? Ah for the days when field sports were less specialized.  I shall have to look up the Gordon Bennet book. If you want some crazy nautical and engineering technology history by the way, read A Thread Across the Ocean  By John Steele Gordon, about laying transatlantic cables for the first time(s). It took them a few tries.

On 6/10/2018 at 5:21 PM, jack_sparrow said:

So my prediction is it will come down to Mr Ed and the Dong/Telefonica fighting for a end of race podium. Number 1 and Number 3 are in the bag me thinks.

Join the dots :-)

31 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

AZ and MF just got in phase with a 30 degree lift with 6 nm leverage = 3 miles.  Gotta wonder if they saw a cloud or how/if they picked that one.

• Like 1

Upcoming transition explained

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Foiling Optimist said:

Wasn't that JJ Giltnan fellow of 18 foot skiff fame some sort of cricket grandee? Or an Aussie rules football grandee?

JJ Giltinan was actually born in 1866 the same year as that first Atlantic race and credited for founding Rugby League in Australia (a professional breakaway from amateur Rugby Union). He was a sports nut, entrepreneur and clearly anti-establishment. In 1935, Giltinan formed a breakaway from the established Sydney Flying Squadron for the Australian 18 Footers League culminating in his founding the JJ Giltinan International Trophy.

http://www.18footers.com.au/sailing/jj-giltinan/history.html

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, stief said:

Upcoming transition explained

Thanks stief. Next 24 hours are going to be mind fucking. The right hand lane is looking pretty sweet. Salter gets the prize for that setup towards the rolling door. Pascal has tacked over to join them even if it means giving up some westing that gets them to the fast lane sooner.

• Like 1

Holy hell.... I've been out sailing on my new cat all weekend and woke up to this...... Scally..?     I'm backing the wagon from here in.,..

FWIW, all (all) boats now ranked with DTF calculated via waypoint "Inishkean"--presumably the north island of Inishkea

Looks to be shown as "Black Rock" on the VOR tracker. 

538021217_ScreenShot2018-06-11at7_17_34PM.png.23c6a7a0136d84cdc869f9b136651452.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Next 24 hours are going to be mind fucking. The right hand lane is looking pretty sweet. Salter gets the prize for that setup towards the rolling door. 

Sounds right. They'll be sailing past the Cliffs Of Insanity (the Irish Cliffs of Mohr), in the waters of the Dread Pirate Roberts. Inconceivable!

• Like 1

The two red boats are in their own private left shift atm and may cross Akzo

Quite the three-boat tuning going on in the north-east, Took 36 hours and a nice little lift to put MAPF back on top for a moment.

1645767144_ScreenShot2018-06-11at8_10_42PM.png.d872b1b6f7b4e897ab14c18e5f07da02.png

Charles just couldn't help himself despite what he said in the presser. He had a choice; follow red, follow yellow, or sail his own course. Looks like he's chosen familiar territory :D

1 hour ago, PIL66 said:

Holy hell.... I've been out sailing on my new cat all weekend and woke up to this...... Scally..?     I'm backing the wagon from here in.,..

What cat did you settle on after all?  Pix or is there another way bread?

1 hour ago, stief said:

Quite the three-boat tuning going on in the north-east, Took 36 hours and a nice little lift to put MAPF back on top for a moment.

Placings are pretty irelevant while they are still chasing some westing.

Decision making is now quite complex and generally between those south who will maybe start crossing the ridge first but where it is wider but looking to gobble up their delta quickly by hitting the escalator first. Those to the north will be last in but not by much but where the ridge is narrower so hope to hit the escalator around the same time but with a jump start of say 5 mile . Overlaying this is is the ridge is moving east and once out max VMG is parallel not perpidicular with it so the "first in first out" rule is diminished. Scally's potential to catch-up some is helped by this. 

My guess is the north is favoured and the westing advantage of around half a mile that Akzo enjoys is critical as a buffer for when compression starts to bite then converting that half mile into more by a good head start on the escalator.

The boats first around the top are going to be hard to pass until compression towards the finish.

Mapfre is pickin' 'em off one by one.

Now in the lead!   Go Red!

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Not really

Yeah well, give me my moment.  Cheering for these guys big time since their gutsy gybe-fest on the IEZ enroute to Melbourne.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Placings are pretty irelevant while they are still chasing some westing.

Decision making is now quite complex and generally between those south who will maybe start crossing the ridge first but where it is wider but looking to gobble up their delta quickly by hitting the escalator first. Those to the north will be last in but not by much but where the ridge is narrower so hope to hit the escalator around the same time but with a jump start of say 5 mile . Overlaying this is is the ridge is moving east and once out max VMG is parallel not perpidicular with it so the "first in first out" rule is diminished. Scally's potential to catch-up some is helped by this. 

My guess is the north is favoured and the westing advantage of around half a mile that Akzo enjoys is critical as a buffer for when compression starts to bit then that turning into a good head start on the escalator.

The boats first around the top are going to be hard to pass until compression towards the finish.

Sounds reasonable. I'm hooked by the driving that's going on amongst the three. The lifts (~ 10º) are a bit lighter (by 2 knots, usually) , but DFRT tends to fall down, while MAPF seems to hold their speed and height just a bit longer.

Or something like that. They are only a few hundred meters apart, and you can almost sense the puffs and lulls leaving one boat and arriving at the next.

Gad, I love the live tracker. Exhausting for us poor fans, while those sailors get lulled by the wind and waves. g'night ;) 

And Jack--gotta admit MAPF is pressing AKZO. 

8 minutes ago, stief said:

And Jack--gotta admit MAPF is pressing AKZO. 

Compression

8 minutes ago, stief said:

DFRT tends to fall down, while MAPF seems to hold their speed and height just a bit longer.

I think Pascal is bow down a tad chasing a westing advantage over Vila. Not sure that is working out though as now below Akzo's line. 

Meanwhile Mr Ed can't shake the Ivy League Kid.

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Looking at all the padlocks and assuming the Boatyard is not full of thieving bastards it looks like in some countries 2K paints have to be locked away from the sniffers??? I would have thought heroin is cheaper than Awlgrip.

^^^Depressing continuation of the above:  huffing/sniffing a big problem up here in the Bush. Just a few days ago a young girl in one of the villages was huffing a propane tank and it exploded. 

7 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Very cool.

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 8.31.55 AM.png

These arches are fun to kayak through when the tide is right.

2 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Just a few days ago a young girl in one of the villages was huffing a propane tank and it exploded. 

C’mon.  And not on the Res?

What am I missing here? On the VOR tracker it looks like weak winds to the west with better wind for the next several hours back inshore along the layline.

4 minutes ago, Terrorvision said:

What am I missing here? On the VOR tracker it looks like weak winds to the west with better wind for the next several hours back inshore along the layline.

The escalator is 24 hours away from hitting the shoreline, by that time they are well and truly on it with a better TWA. Go to the escalator, don't wait for it to come to you.

34 minutes ago, Terrorvision said:

The system is moving west-east. They are all hoping it will pass over quickly and they will be into better breeze quicker by closing he distance.

It does look a little like no one dares blink first though.

Time will tell, I would probably have got it wrong and flopped onto port, closed the coast and tacked back out as the low pressure area appears narrower further north.

That's why they are on the big bucks I suppose.

SS

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Charles just couldn't help himself despite what he said in the presser. He had a choice; follow red, follow yellow, or sail his own course. Looks like he's chosen familiar territory :D

And for not a lot of gain and may have been better off staying south. The Dong is getting close to returning to the same seperation they had between Yellow and Red before tacking? The Dong appears happy to do a bit of quick touring with the bow down a bit?

7 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

I would probably have got it wrong and flopped onto port, closed the coast and tacked back out as the low pressure area appears narrower further north.

Offshore has better escalator TWA ..inshore you would need wheels early tomorrow. 

5 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Time will tell, I would probably have got it wrong and flopped onto port, closed the coast and tacked back out as the low pressure area appears narrower further north.

That's why they are on the big bucks I suppose.

Haha, that would have been me too. Probably why I'm no longer allowed to navigate after calling the wrong side of a mark, thinking we won the race, getting dsq for the race and losing the series. If only I'd said To Port ... oh the shame.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stief said:

FWIW, all (all) boats now ranked with DTF calculated via waypoint "Inishkean"--presumably the north island of Inishkea

Looks to be shown as "Black Rock" on the VOR tracker. 

Indeed. Black rock is 2 nm to the SW of the waypoint. 

RC will need to change the waypoint in a couple of hours to the top of NW Scotland. Only 55 nm or so northing left on this waypoint.

42A7B87E-52AB-4F7E-A4BA-8EDFE5456FC7.png

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, southerncross said:

C’mon.  And not on the Res?

No, and no. The Alaska State Troopers have revised the report to say the tank caught on fire while a 14 year girl in a group of juveniles was huffing from it. She was medically evacuated by air. Most of the villages are not road accessible and do not have any medical facilities or personnel at all except possibly an aide. This accident occurred in Alakanuk, an Inupiat village of 700 people on the Yukon River in western AK, about 15 miles from the Bering Sea. Alaska natives have a different land system than Native Americans in the contiguous lower 48 states. There is only one Federal Indian Reservation in Alaska, the Metlakatla Indian Community in SE Alaska. 

Edited by despacio avenue
typos
  • Like 1

Transition Tuesday:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Hang on a second - who's that on the horizon after shaving 80 miles of their deficit

Sea that may well be...but even Dee is not having any mirror hallucinations as yet.

images (30).jpeg

Donger nicely in the middle, trying to play both boards.

...but then for Teapot...but I put a lot of stock in the theory that Spanish Speaking Red Tongued Raptors are allergic to shitty paint colour schemes.

images (32).jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Donger nicely in the middle, trying to play both boards.

Dunno about that after going north of Akzo with Mapfre but now back to the middle where they started but further back from Yellow...is that by choice or a OTW BS go slow issue in that wind range??? My guess is the latter....and a pull it out of my arse..too many new bodies (3) on board this leg.

58 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Sea that may well be...but even Dee is not having any mirror hallucinations as yet.

images (30).jpeg

Well something spooked her Jack, she's headin North!

9 minutes ago, Somtam Cowboy said:

TTop do a back down or something??

8 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Well something spooked her Jack, she's headin North!

Simply to get back on line...was dieing a thousand cuts down there. Maybe should have kept going north with some speed if TWD allowed while others slowed a better bet than joining the Yellow/Vestas Conga line again??

2 hours ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Hang on a second - who's that on the horizon after shaving 80 miles of their deficit?

Heres Scally.jpg

A comeback worthy of little Johnny Howard.

Everyone playing the shifts and working with what they’ve got. Nerve wrecking to watch, tomorrow will be totally different but till then it s up to Neptune’s humour. 

• Like 1

Just now, paps49 said:

Bloody mess at the moment.

Yeas, can you imagine the pressure, knowing that you could win or lose this race... :o

Strange move by Scally, they were doing well getting West.

12 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Bloody mess at the moment.

13 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Yeas, can you imagine the pressure, knowing that you could win or lose this race... :o

Some more than others..you chose your own line to the door... the die is now cast.

How far can those drones go???

Lucky it didn't get get blasted outta the sky by a local with a shotgun!

"To be sure to be sure....It was a fockin Alien i'm tellin ya Paddy....but l fair Focked it l did...to be sure!"

• Like 2