Herman

VOR Leg 10 Cardiff to Gothenburg

Fun with stats. MAPF leads because they've been the slowest boat . . . on average (Pro plugin 'stats' option; descending sort of Avg Speed)

or . . ..  "Vila is the best nav because he has done the best positioning slow-boat MAPF"

or . . .  I gotta learn to read this stuff. Probably stats for the whole edition, not just the leg.

or . . . GIGO

544841029_ScreenShot2018-06-12at8_19_04PM.thumb.png.24fed7755923b49e292c87bd7a73819b.png

MAPFRE doing a bloody good job of soaking, at speed. Impressive.

• Like 1

From TBRU. "They said it would be intense. This is another level of intense."

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, oceangeek said:

Seems Mapfre is continuing to sail high, like they want to go over the top, while the others are now all sailing about 10 degrees lower, like they plan to go through. That would make an interesting split in 6 hours.

I don't think any of the boats will go inside as they will get stuck in no wind in the early morning

• Like 1

We need another park up or weather event otherwise the Spanish will be hard to beat from here for Brunel fans. With only 700 miles to go is a risk here and there worth it? 

2 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

QUESTIONS!!!!

Guys, I leave tonight to fly to Gothenburg and am going to try and track down some of the characters and get interviews with them.

Anyone got questions you would like me to put? Either in general or to individuals. Richard Brisius is likely to be very bury in the home town of Volvo AB so will try and catch him in Den Haag.

Let me know and I will set up as much as I can.

Cheers

SS

Shang there is only one question of Brisius that he has to be able to answer now and not fob you off. That is;

"Are race naming rights linked to Volvo Cars financial comittment to the next edition", Yes or No???

If answer is Yes, then "Why" when that changes absolutely nothing other than who writes the cheques??

Background here as to why it needs to be a "cleanskin" race.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Christian said:

I don't think any of the boats will go inside as they will get stuck in no wind in the early morning

If you were Scallywag, why would you not try? It is either:

- DFL if follow the leader

- Maybe not DFL if inside the Outer Hebrids

- or DFL with "panache", if inside the Outer Hebrids

Anybody knows what is the optimum wind angle they sail on a dead down wind course/tack ?

The routing thingy has them do a little gybe, DF at 140 TWA, MF at 136 right now.

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Shang there is only one question of Brisius that he has to be able to answer now and not fob you off. That is;

"Are race naming rights linked to Volvo Cars financial comittment to the next edition", Yes or No???

If answer is Yes, then "Why" when that changes absolutely nothing other than who writes the cheques??

Background here as to why it needs to be a "cleanskin" race.

They have already said that it will not be the VOLVO Ocean Race. However it is likely that other car manufacturers will still be held out due to the commitment of Volvo as a partner in the next race. 

DF at 147 right now. By the way it seems to me the forecast has changed quite a bit since yesterday for the North Sea part (independantly of the tracker bug), much less "purple" than yesterday.

13 minutes ago, Potter said:

They have already said that it will not be the VOLVO Ocean Race. 

Potter all I have heard is that race name aspect has not been decided which only infers no VOR.

However I'm assuming for instance Volvo may have a two tier deal where with more edition money from them/less sale money recieved by them, they get naming rights. 

The question is actually more about whether Brisius & Co want to go with a "no race naming rights" approach or not?

4 hours ago, stief said:

0100 sked came in; so chance to catch up on the forss tracker to see if the inside passage might be a tasty option (12 hrs ago the Live routing took them outside).

And, current ranking clarity clouded by different waypoints. "Noup Head?"

Rank Team At position
Hour UTC 24h run Waypoint
1 MAPFRE 00:59 UTC 198.9 nm Noup Head
2 Dongfeng Race Team 00:59 UTC 194.8 nm Cape Wrath
3 Team AkzoNobel 00:59 UTC 194.5 nm Cape Wrath
4 Vestas 11th Hour Racing 00:59 UTC 192.4 nm Cape Wrath
5 Turn The Tide on Plastic 00:59 UTC 198.7 nm Noup Head
6 Team Brunel 00:59 UTC 195.1 nm Noup Head
7 Team Sun Hung Kai / Scallywag 00:59 UTC 191.2 nm Cape Wrath

It's 21 nm west of the official waypoint North Ronaldsay.

Noup Head.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Left Shift said:

So...are they heading for the inside passage?  Maybe paying a visit to Lewis and Harris?

Maybe Scally, the VOR weather routing is suggesting that too. I will fire up the washing machine shortly if that +/- 20 nm shortcut could bring heaven or hell.

image.thumb.png.d4d2496f0f713480cfcb1aabf4995dc5.png

• Like 1

All boats at warp speed now - Klingons on the starboard bow! :rolleyes:

warp speed.png

• Like 4

Setup + trim  = max soaking.  Mapfre continues to rule any straight drag race.     They are the Dodge Demon of street legal (i.e OD). 

• Like 1

Potter,

I think the coverage of the race in particular by the VOR could be improved. I believe it would generate more fan interest. Obviously so would publicity.

I would like to know if, for example: why coverage of arrivals and departures of legs is so short. I know what it costs to put a heli up in the air, and it is not financially crippling compared to other costs the Race incurs. Except for weather, and darkness, there could be live shots a lot earlier than just the half hour before the finish. Same for the departure. Auckland was an exception. When dark it could send out ribs earlier, could it not? The VOR could use drones. 

The 24/7 Live Tracker has been great. Can that continue?

Lastly in this same vein, there obviously was some sort of communication problems with race coverage during the stops in Hong Kong and Ghangzhou. Very little was said by the VOR and it was vague. I am not referring to the Vestas collision but the in shore and round the island race coverage. Some was allegedly technical in nature, though I think this could have been resolved with drones. Were these problems political? Is it something to be expected every stop in China? 

I am not going to wade into the technical issues re types of boats, etc. 

Thanks. 

28 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Potter,

I think the coverage of the race in particular by the VOR could be improved. I believe it would generate more fan interest. Obviously so would publicity.

I would like to know if, for example: why coverage of arrivals and departures of legs is so short. I know what it costs to put a heli up in the air, and it is not financially crippling compared to other costs the Race incurs. Except for weather, and darkness, there could be live shots a lot earlier than just the half hour before the finish. Same for the departure. Auckland was an exception. When dark it could send out ribs earlier, could it not? The VOR could use drones. 

Lastly in this same vein, there obviously was some sort of communication problems with race coverage during the stops in Hong Kong and Ghangzhou. Very little was said by the VOR and it was vague. I am not referring to the Vestas collision but the in shore and round the island race coverage. Some was allegedly technical in nature, though I think this could have been resolved with drones. Were these problems political? Is it something to be expected every stop in China? 

Thanks. 

There are lots of different answers. Tracker, I have no idea. I think the Race direction were seriously worried about something happening, and being in the public eye before they were able to deal with it (Fish being a prime example, they need to be able to talk to the family involved as quickly as possible before anything is int he public eye)..That is just me guessing though.

Some people on here were calling for the helo to be up for the NZ finish...in the pitch dark.   That is just dumb.  The reason for the short time up for the helo is due to the requirement to absolutely be in the air for the finish.  Can you imagine if they went up earlier, then the boat slowed down, the helo returned to refuel, then the boat speeds up and finishes whilst it is on the ground!  Basically they do a calculation as to what can be done. 
However, the RIB is unable to transmit the same distance as the helo due to height. SKY were trying to transmit live from a RIB in Cardiff, and struggling at times due to the connection, so if they can't do it then I think we are expecting VOR to perform miracles.

Drones were not allowed in HK or China (yes, I know HK is part of China, but it does have different laws) at all.  Also Cardiff each drone flight needed permission (airport nearby). Newport they were not allowed at all, but don't know why; Aukland needed permission each time.

Guangzhou had issues with the broadcast equipment going through customs, no problem getting in, but it would not have been out in time to get to the Leg Start in HK.  I know that Shanghai will say that someone was transmitting live on webo (or whatever it is called), but if they had done that then no doubt we would all have complained it was not what we expect, or that we do not use that app..

It is also worth saying that the fans on here seem to be astonishingly demanding. The standard and volume of news coming off the boats has been amazing. Plus, during the race they have built up to do more on the Boatyard (not as much as we would like, I know). I am not a fan of the 'gybe talking' that gets put out, but some people seem to really like it.  The latest Boatyard chat with Jordi, Bicey and Coxy is great.

Most of this information is second hand of course, just finding stuff out in conversation; others are first hand (SKY, drone permissions).

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PIL66 said:

Grainger 38

IMG_4182.PNG

Now THAT"S a big boys toy.

6 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

QUESTIONS!!!!

Guys, I leave tonight to fly to Gothenburg and am going to try and track down some of the characters and get interviews with them.

Anyone got questions you would like me to put? Either in general or to individuals. Richard Brisius is likely to be very bury in the home town of Volvo AB so will try and catch him in Den Haag.

Let me know and I will set up as much as I can.

Cheers

SS

Please ask a certain commentator if he has ever considered taking up Proctology?

1 hour ago, yl75 said:

Anybody knows what is the optimum wind angle they sail on a dead down wind course/tack ?

The routing thingy has them do a little gybe, DF at 140 TWA, MF at 136 right now.

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

^^^ Depends on TWS/sea state. Call TWA 140 max. Brunel are usually the go deep masters.

My god, Jack is taking his meds...........I can imagine a completely different answer he may have given. :-)

• Like 1

Potter,

Thank you as always for a very informative response. It did answer my questions. Just a few comments: re the tracker, OA fans were already hypothesizing about what was going on with Vestas even without a live tracker, given it routing weirdness); I do understand the concern re e.g. Fish; however accidents and unfortunately fatalities happen with live events (e.g. Dale Earnhardt in NASCAR).  In any event, it may be a moot issue now. 

I completely agree that the quality and volume of information coming off the boats has been, as you said, "amazing". I very much enjoy the on-board videos, the drone footage - which has as has been noted achieved outstanding quality and creativity). I always enjoy and learn something from the Boatyard pieces; Jordi, BIcey and Coxy are terrific.  The gybe talking is pretty silly but the knot tying grew on me esp when there was a little trash talking going on, Charle re Phil and vice versa, Burling curious as to who nominated him for the chore. 

The SA/OA fans are demanding. I admit to being up at the front of that line. It is frustrating to maintain interest in an event that takes 9 months. When it provides information, however, it sustains people's interest. I never thought I would be interrupting sleep to check a live tracker. 

I think I was the person who saw the American in a DF rib taking a video with his cell phone of part of the race in Guangzhou. It was very short, but since I (and others) did not know how he was able to take and record and send such a video and we weren't able to see anything it was a bit frustrating. Perhaps the RO could be a bit more forthcoming about why it can't do something without stepping on politically sensitive toes.

In any event, thanks again.

DesP

• Like 1

This is a plug for Aarhus. I was there a couple of years ago and it was an enjoyable town with a fabulous art museum, which is featured in pictures of the city, with a multicolored pixels walkway/viewing area with a breathtaking view of the town and particularly the seaport, a great place to see the VOR boats from. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Maybe Scally, the VOR weather routing is suggesting that too. I will fire up the washing machine shortly if that +/- 20 nm shortcut could bring heaven or hell.

image.thumb.png.d4d2496f0f713480cfcb1aabf4995dc5.png

They must be at least thinking about it, the forecast is favorable. Will have to go soon if so.

inside.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

All boats at warp speed now - Klingons on the starboard bow! :rolleyes:

warp speed.png

Definately time for the Chicken Shute.

• Like 1

Salter could have quite easily gybed over with SiFi but didn't so those two Pommy and current flankers clearly have a different view as to what is on the horizon.

Did not follow the first days of the leg that closely as we had a houseguest. Seems the pre-start tidings of mapfre's immenent colapse were somewhat exagerated. Dongfeng hanging on in second. Brunel doing an bit of a hero to zero to hero and back. Seems like a good summary of a lot of the racing of the last 8 odd months. Nice to see TToP doing well. For the blood pressure of our resident sparrow it is probably good that my prediction about Vestas was utterly wrong :).

• Like 1

Weather routing (1/2)

The big picture
LP zones from Storm Alley come and go. Current LP zone where the fleet is riding on is NW of the fleet moving north and then stationary from Wednesday 13th 2100 UTC between Scotland and Iceland. Next LP is moving behind the previous LP zone off Ireland, and than merging to one huge LP zone. Later deepening. This LP dominates the weather up to the finish and provides winds from 20 to 30 knots up to the Kattegat where the landmass of Denmark provides some shelter.

Input

- GFS 0,25 degrees wind
- Waves FNMOC WW3 MEDIT (3 days 0,20 degrees)
- Tidal currents BSH for North Sea grid 6 nm 1 hour up to 15th 00 UTC
- Harmonics tides ON
- 1 hour timesteps
- 0930 UTC positions

Output

- Most part will be reaching 
- Only 1 or 2 tacks => nice for the crew with the projected wind and waves
- AVG wind 24 kts
- Max wind gusts up to 40 kts 
- Pick a winner? All boats projected to be at Trubaduren waypoint within 20 minutes of each other at the morning of the 15th, around 0700 UTC. Including SHK/SW. It is going to be a though battle!
- Add 1 hour for the remaining 11 nm from Trubaduren to the finish line, reaching.
- The rounding of the waypoint Northern Ronaldsay could be harsh with 30 knots headwind and wind waves against to boats.
- Sea state good get a bit nasty during the North sea crossing at Thursday the 14th, according to the ECMWF WAM model waves from 2 to 6 meters up to Skagen (Kattegat). Average swell calculated 2 meters.
- GFS and ECMWF disagree on the wind strength in the coming days, with GFS +/- 5 kts more wind. This results in an ETA with the Windy tracker (no waves or currents!) for GFS 22 KM resolution in the early hours of the 15th with ECMWF 9 KM resolution a couple of hours later.

Routing2.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Herman said:

This LP dominates the weather up to the finish and provides winds from 20 to 30 knots up to the Kattegat where the landmass of Denmark provides some shelter.

Hmmm. Denmark is flat. They are in for a real ride.....

If you are awake, there is live coverage from the Outer Hebrides on FB:

• Like 4

Ha, the Canadians are fast, eh, Stief. You are up early.

2 minutes ago, Forestdawg said:

Ha, the Canadians are fast, eh, Stief. You are up early.

Bladder break ;)

I hid my post (to respect thread space)

• Like 1

And . . . slept through the 1/2 way point.

We've got to hold on to what we've got
It doesn't make a difference if we make it or not
We've got each other and that's a lot for love
We'll give it a shot
Woah, we're half way there
Woah, livin' on a prayer
Take my hand, we'll make it I swear
Woah, livin' on a prayer
Livin' on a prayer
Oh, we've got to hold on, ready or not
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got
Woah, we're half way there
Woah, livin' on a prayer
Take my hand, we'll make it I swear
Woah, livin' on a prayer
  • Like 1

^^ love it Stief :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Hmmm. Denmark is flat. They are in for a real ride.....

Indeed they are. Waves would be dampened though in the Kattegat compared to the North Sea according to the ECMWF wave model. The BSH wave model indicates that too.

ECMWF waves Kattegat.jpg

BSH waves.jpg

• Like 1

These short legs must be brutal for lack of sleep. Yet as was mentioned on the previous leg - such a critical component of an efficient and fast performance. I’d hate to think how much rest the Navs get on these legs.

1 hour ago, Zander said:

Nice to see TToP doing well. For the blood pressure of our resident sparrow it is probably good that my prediction about Vestas was utterly wrong :).

Yes I'm happy the Ivy League Kid is out the back inhaling fumes..Dee has been spanking Yellow and the Waggon now for close to 12 hours and not letting the Dong get away..pretty fine work there from the school teacher.

3 minutes ago, Murph said:

These short legs must be brutal for lack of sleep. Yet as was mentioned on the previous leg - such a critical component of efficient and fast sailing....

Not wrong there. Day 4 about to roll over in a few hours..that and into the North Sea will be where the cream rises to the top in a Leg like no other.

20 minutes ago, Forestdawg said:

Just noticed a new tab in the raw content page called "live from the heli." Only one image there at this point but could be worth keeping an eye on for us image junkies:

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/12363.html

Is it still there? I can't find it now, and the above link takes me to a MAPF vid.

(the VOR web site has often changed this edition--more dynamic, I suppose.)

From DFRT: "the joys of peeling in 27 knots" (pretty good detailed footage)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stief said:

Is it still there? I can't find it now, and the above link takes me to a MAPF vid.

(the VOR web site has often changed this edition--more dynamic, I suppose.)

Yep, still there. When I click the link I get a still image of Mapfre trucking along. Strange.

heli live.jpg

• Like 1

Anyone know more about these marks on DFRT? 

grabbed this screenie about 6 weeks ago. Bearing marker (I think), and haven't noticed it since.   

1751221711_ScreenShot2018-04-23at8_41_15AM.png.0de5225df03406e3dab967b311aa17d5.png

6 minutes ago, Forestdawg said:

Yep, still there. When I click the link I get a still image of Mapfre trucking along. Strange.

Got it--thanks. I was looking at the sidebar menu.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, stief said:

grabbed this screenie about 6 weeks ago. Bearing marker (I think), and haven't noticed it since.   

1751221711_ScreenShot2018-04-23at8_41_15AM.png.0de5225df03406e3dab967b311aa17d5.png

Wild guess: angle for the outrigger pole?  

Don't laugh, I SAID wild. 

Here is how the scoreboard looks if Brunel passes TTOP but all other positions remain the same.

image.png.1de7e81d1f180148867fe2c5704b3c69.png

The official Volvo site neglects to include Dong Feng's bonus point for fastest elapsed time. We are at a stage in the race now where we have to take that into account.  The only way that DF loses that point is a disaster, which from a scoring perspective produces the same result whether we include the point or not.

If the results finish as above (and we know that anything can happen between now and the finish),  then it is interesting because it will be a battle for first and last.

1.  The Volvo ocean race would be determined by a match race between Dong Feng and Mapfre on the sprint to the Hague.  

2. The In-port races would not be relevant because a tie would be impossible.

3.  Brunel would have nigh impossible task to win (it would require DF and Mapfre to finish in the last two positions and Brunel to win)

Akzo cannot overtake Brunel

Vestas cannot overtake Akzo

Neither SHKS nor TTOP can overtake Vestas.

In other words 3rd through 5th would be decided before the last leg.

4.  The last place position would be determined by a match race between TTOP and Scallywag.

In effect there would be two match races going on ,  while the other 3 boats raced safely to their per-determined positions.

The two match races would be exciting and gripping.

Of course....this is all speculation based on current positions.

52 minutes ago, stief said:

Pretty standard on most racing yachts - reference angles/lubber lines for quick on deck gauging of both tacking and gybing angles, and gain/loss on other boats.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Sounds more likely. Hadn't noticed them on both sides, or on other boats (stacks often cover that spot). Guessed at bearing marker for the cockpit crew whose hands might be too busy to reach for a compass.

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Well maybe this might answer their ordinary transition and exit..fucking Soccer has a lot to answer for.

Salter has the winner ;)

4 minutes ago, Mambo Kings said:

2. The In-port races would not be relevant because a tie would be impossible.

Good point.

2 minutes ago, stief said:

Good point.

But that all depends on how this leg finishes. Many a slip betwixt cup and lip.

10 hours ago, oceangeek said:

Trouble on Akzo?  Dropped to 2 knots, changed course 45 degrees...

Edit: picking back up now. Perhaps a wipeout. But it did allow TTOP to pass.

44 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Don't laugh, I SAID wild. 

Not wild at all. Seen all sorts of decals for line angles, pole reference points. Takes the guess work out of it when you can put the boat in the default setting for speed then tweak. 

• Like 1

Kudos to TTOP.  They are hauling ass. IMHO, this is the best straight line competitive boat speed they have put together on the race.

Recognizing their best performance, here would be the scores if they held 3rd and all other positions stayed the same:

image.png.f759a5893a586ff2ffbbe42d787184c6.png

It would still be a match race for last place between TTOP and SHKS on the race to Hague because the in-port race would come into effect. TTOP has to beat SHKS again, because if SHKS beats TTOP on the last leg then they would be tied and the in-port would decide in favor of SHKS.

In order to beat SHKS and avoid last place, then TTOP can finish 3rd or 4th (it doesnt matter which) on this leg and then has to beat SHKS on the final leg.

In order for SHKS to avoid last, they have to beat TTOP on one of the two legs and hope like hell that TTOP doesnt glide into first place in the fluky conditions of Gothenberg.

Although the scoring system at the top is a big improvement over past editions, its most glaring deficiency is with TTOP's standings (as Potter pointed out to Phil Laurence, and others have noted).

It's just wrong that a boat that missed one or two legs should be ahead of TTOP.  DNF and RET(and DSQ?) need neg points, and giving them elapsed time of last boat + 24 hrs also doesn't reflect the reality.

21 minutes ago, stief said:

Although the scoring system at the top is a big improvement over past editions, its most glaring deficiency is with TTOP's standings (as Potter pointed out to Phil Laurence, and others have noted).

It's just wrong that a boat that missed one or two legs should be ahead of TTOP.  DNF and RET(and DSQ?) need neg points, and giving them elapsed time of last boat + 24 hrs also doesn't reflect the reality.

Credit Jack.

As a slight change of subject

A huge thanks to all the expert commentaries on this thread since race start. It makes the tracker and content so much more relevant to what we read and see. 

Much appreciated. Below is the mighty FCF CHALLENGER. The golden days of seeing her and Bubblegum tied up along side Queens wharf in AKL....

1BC34682-7E17-4441-95C3-B8592EE5287F.jpeg

We can expect some more sail porn. Boats are now passing Sule Skerry Island and it's lighthouse.

1 hour ago, stief said:

It became obvious after Melbourne that taking care of your boat and making it in one piece on the expectation that the stopover is non-haulout and had a bunch of specialized rules re not taking supplies onboard = all junk because the RC is afraid of the sponsor. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

Potter,

Thanks. 

I doubt the Guangzhou problems were technical, for the pro-am races armed with a couple of smart phones and Wechat social media it was livestreamed 'locally' over 17 Wechat channels to 1.98 million people. I am not sure but I reckon that is a factor of 10 or 100 times Volvo's biggest ever official livestream audience.

They need to learn you need to ask for something in China early, especially something new. and NO it is not something to expect from every stop in China - this time round it was a Volvo error

REgardoing the other comments I would love to know how they could improve the present package of embedded rotating OBRs, RAW footage and arrivals and departures. Heli-time is extraordinarily expensive, as in 10s of '000' per hour. Perhaps in another 3 years drone technology will have moved on even further.

I don't know about sending RIBs in the dark but it has been done in the past. I don't know if you remember the shot in almost darkness on the FP of Dongfeng approaching Sanya in the last race. All the other RIBS headed SW but I told our driver (who I knew well so he listened) to head due S. WE ended up 6-8 miles offshore when we saw a starboard hand light 90 feet in the air and no other RIBs and we got the shot so yes, RIBs in the dark can be done but you need the willingness of local people who are capable doing this and it needs to be remembered if it is pepping up at all these boats fly and even a decent sized RIB will struggle to safely keep up. I drove Ian Roman on day 1 of the in-port racing in Sanya 1st time the VOR visited. It was blowing 20kts + and the boats were doing the same. At times we were registering 44kts on the RIB GPS getting from 1 shot to another, it was hard work and pretty hairy with quite a bit of "air-time" and THAT was in daylight.

It ain't easy.

Anyway, it is often easier to have ideas for improvement than to implement them.

The VOR depends in stopovers on local willingness, enthusiasm and skill set and sometimes that has to be specifically imparted to them. I remember the 1st Sanya stopover, I flew down and gave 3 days training to the volunteers who were mainly local students who didn't know the sharp end from the blunt end. A stopover, even though a few days (2 weeks at the max) is a huge undertaking for a stopover port. I also know how much time and effort the team in Guangzhou put in to make the stop a success. The Vestas collision (in Chinese waters) did not help Guangdong MSA's attitude regarding safety.

Anyway, iou don't look forward then you fail to improve and I know there will be the usual debriefs after the en od this edition to look at was good, what can improve and whether suggested improvements are technically, financially and politically possible.

SS

Back to the bad old days of tracker updates every few hours. Just about to get on the bit silver bird for the first leg to Gothenburg.(12 hours or so)

Just hoping the red boats will have switched positions by the time I am allowed to go on line again. :-)

SS

My only media suggestions are two fold: 1) recognize that on demand internet coverage is the future and should be prioritized over traditional PR. 2) Keep developing young talent. Getting youngsters trying to make it on Figaro/Mini & trying to get into IMOCAs facetime and exp in front of the camera is a great thing IMO. Maybe not pay Andy Green to mansplain over Sally Barkow and constantly talk.

TToP seems to have found their pace - looked like earlier that they were alternating between highest top speed/plowing the boat. Now the speed is steady and high.

3 minutes ago, Miffy said:

TToP seems to have found their pace - looked like earlier that they were alternating between highest top speed/plowing the boat. Now the speed is steady and high.

15 hours ago, PIL66 said:

Grainger 38

IMG_4182.PNG

Nice find Pil.  Can you still pull up to Doyles these days? 

I'm boatless for the first time in my life.  What a rude and naked feeling it is.  Already shopping but all the good boats are overseas.

I’m very pleased for TTOP, really there now with the big boys. That feeling only will add a few knots I reckon. 

37 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Martin wants to come home to....something ;) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Near disaster on MAPFRE.

Now you've done it.  Fodder for trolls for sure.

someone should tell RO/VOR that the continuous use of superlatives like "epic" diminishes the impact on the audience... brrr

57 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Now you've done it.  Fodder for trolls for sure.

Not sure I understand you. 

Just now, Miffy said:

Not sure I understand you. 

Not clipped on at all.  Randum will have a field day.

Eh I don't bother reading ignored ppl. As far as I'm concerned he doesn't exist even if he wants to post a million times.

The near disaster was the shackle being swung on deck and nearly catching Willy's head.

• Like 1