Herman

VOR Leg 10 Cardiff to Gothenburg

23 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

From the Dept of Inquiring Minds - 

Why are they using so little dagger board? Looks like only a foot or so. You can see it on today's heli shots. 

One (who does not know much about those boats) would think that with such extreme lateral pressure they would use more board. 

My 2 cents; they were broad reaching at that moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NORBowGirl said:

I don’t recall where the finish is but when I race in that area I use the Danish forecast

most of is available in English. “Ström” means current ;) 

Looks like around 1.5 knots easterly current, but once they get close to Gothenburg they meet the river. But not a lot of current close to shore. 

Edit: the Swedish rocks are the real danger

Danish military forecast is fabulous in the Baltic:

http://ifm.fcoo.dk/index.html#domain=denmark&zoom=9.00320774382012&lat=57.61&lon=11.015&layer=FCOO%20Standard&overlays=Short%20range%20forecasts.wind%252CShort%20range%20forecasts.windspeed%252CSafety.MSI%252CSafety.Firing%20warnings&level=0

• Like 1

Gothenburg finish:  Alvsborg Gate - ÄlvsborgBridge Finish, from Amendment 3 (apologies if already posted )

[edit pics posted, but didn't display on 'save']
914306790_ScreenShot2018-06-13at12_54_20PM.png.f26ae129687e7d78bd43cc2285a47cc9.png
121459037_ScreenShot2018-06-13at12_54_32PM.png.60edcb86425eb91b5d7a9ec52a2fec45.png
  • Like 2

I’d like to quote my favourite pirate here: 

On 6/11/2018 at 8:07 AM, jack_sparrow said:

....and Charles is starting to hallucinate.

assembly-1500914_960_720.jpg

• Like 1

Come on TTOP, hang on! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

Here is how the scoreboard looks if Brunel passes TTOP but all other positions remain the same.

image.png.1de7e81d1f180148867fe2c5704b3c69.png

4.  The last place position would be determined by a match race between TTOP and Scallywag.

Of course....this is all speculation based on current positions.

Critical phase for the Tide Turners.

Its very important for TTOP to hold off Akzo and Vestas or at least Vestas.

If Akzo gets past them (and it is starting to look that way) then on the last leg to the Hague, they have to put a boat in betweenTTOP and  SHKS. Thats not impossible given the short leg but its no longer a match race.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herman said:

My 2 cents; they were broad reaching at that moment.

Leeway is not a problem but drag is, on that point of sail. So board up.

Sorry, Herman. Was meant for AJ.

Edited by Sailbydate
Clarification

BR absolutely hauling ass, and back on the same course as MF now.  Arguably almost even with DF, a mile to weather and .8 back.  Must be using their secret weapon since it's dark and can't be seen.  I'm thinking they found a way to end plate the main in this wind speed by taking the luff to the deck when they've got a reef in.  Would that be legal?  Any restriction about keeping mainsail above gooseneck?

6 hours ago, southerncross said:

Nice find Pil.  Can you still pull up to Doyles these days? 

I'm boatless for the first time in my life.  What a rude and naked feeling it is.  Already shopping but all the good boats are overseas.

Yep you can still pull up... welcome to come for a blast some time

Dee going very well ATM but Mapre is looking good ... not long now

DF is in trouble vis a vis Brunel, TTOP and Akzo.  Similar heading but Brunel has better angle due to southern position. 

1 hour ago, Slark said:

Brunel doing their best to keep this interesting.

If we wanted to see the most exciting/stressful/wide open  final leg to the Volvo, then contemplate the top 3 finishing order into Gothenberg as:

Brunel 1st,    Mapfre 2nd,     DF 3rd  

The points table would look like this:

image.png.0ae4a79d60edacc574bf8965a0d1dbfb.png

Between Dong Mapfre and the Yellow Peril ......If either one of them won the 11th leg they would win the whole ball of wax.   It would be game on!

If another boat wins the final leg (Go TTOP!) , then the boat that beats the other two wins EXCEPT, Brunel would need a boat in-between themselves and Dong.  So expect Dong to cover Mapfre and stay close to Brunel.

After a bit of arm wrestling Brunel has settled into 2nd and  is reeling Mapfre in, go the bananas in pajamas!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, paps49 said:

After a bit of arm wrestling Brunel has settled into 2nd and  is reeling Mapfre in, go the bananas in pajamas!

Nothing settled about 2nd yet.  DF has soaked more than Brunel.

But for sure the Yellow Sub is going good things. Go Brunel.

What a battle it has been tonight between Akzo and TTOP!

They are on graveyard shift and giving it everything

10 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Just about to get on the bit silver bird for the first leg to Gothenburg.(12 hours or so)

SS

I hope SS is slumbering in his first class cabin and not watching this.

1 hour ago, Mambo Kings said:

Nothing settled about 2nd yet.  DF has soaked more than Brunel.

But for sure the Yellow Sub is going good things. Go Brunel.

Have to start worry about Paintwagon and Plastic now soon.

3 hours ago, Miffy said:

DF is in trouble vis a vis Brunel, TTOP and Akzo.  Similar heading but Brunel has better angle due to southern position. 

Took a 3 hr nap - sun is rising and OMG the southern position boats really did it.

• Like 1

The Dutch ministry of economy downgrading GDP growth figures after previously being optimistic in the light of Orange not participating in WC. Sickleave expected of the scales for today... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Admirals said:

The Dutch ministry of economy downgrading GDP growth figures after previously being optimistic in the light of Orange not participating in WC. Sickleave expected of the scales for today... 

Translate please.

12 minutes ago, Forestdawg said:

Holy crap, imagine trying to function in this environment on little to no sleep:

Goes to show that whoever wins, team stamina and endurance will have been absolutely necessary. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forestdawg said:

Translate please.

15 minutes ago, Forestdawg said:

Holy crap, imagine trying to function in this environment on little to no sleep:

Dutch are all glued to tracker, calling in sick today.... No football championship for the Dutch so expect them all to be very happy to cheer Bouwe on.

• Like 2

That's some battle going on up front. BRUNEL is wound up like a clock spring and ripping. No way MAPFRE is giving any quarter either. Awesome sailing.

Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 3.16.15 PM.png

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

That's some battle going on up front. BRUNEL is wound up like a clock spring and ripping. No way MAPFRE is giving any quarter either. Awesome sailing.

Sure is and the Dong can't seem to do anything about it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Absolutely amazing fast sailing. Brunel is grinding down at the lead and Dongfeng should be worried, very worried!

2 minutes ago, southerncross said:

A fast finish in daylight?!!!!!

At that latitude this time of the year I don't think there are too many minutes without daylight anyway, but yes, nice to have an actual daytime finish!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

No doubt Brunel are showing how it's done. Mapfre hanging in their but not for much longer. What the heck is up with the Dong? I expected them to be doing better than this.

I've been wondering if this little jig had something to do with it?

dong.PNG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Yes, I was looking at that too. Getting something off the keel or another incident?

More likely to avoid a platform in the North Sea/Vestas product/or just a little investment for angle ~80 degrees instead of the 70 or so.

3 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Brunel is consistently hunting Mapfre up and they are not liking it.

MAPFRE can't use its windward advantage against Brunel either because DF will get by if they waste time messing with each other.

We'll see what DF is made of in the next 3 hours. If Akzo and TToP pressure keeps up, it'll basically be their worst nightmare on points

This is a ridiculously addictive leg to watch.

I am sure that everyone has seen it already though if the finish is BR, MF and DF then the bonus point becomes the difference between 1st and equal 3rd.

Would have been an interesting had SW not missed the tide on day 1.

Genuinely hope no one breaks anything.

GO BRUNEL!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, southerncross said:

It’s the Tuke v Burling show.

They'll both be so fucked, neither of them will know if they're punched, bored, screwed or knawed-out by rats at the moment. I'll bet this battle has got their attention though - triple crown up for grabs and all.

With respect to soaking being a good thing, the polars show that sailing 70 deg TWA is slower than 80 etc, so "soaking" is a bad thing, they're sailing to weather.  When BR cracks off, they're gone.

//pedantic_mode_off//

Image result for volvo 65 polar diagram

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

They'll both be so fucked, neither of them will know if they're punched, bored, screwed or knawed-out by rats at the moment. I'll bet this battle has got their attention though - triple crown up for grabs and all.

I doubt whether either of them care much about the "triple crown" , "for ourselves" it will be much more about the team winning it.  

• Like 1

Incredible to see Brunel hunt Mapfre down. Bouwe Beast Mode only comes in Dutch doused in Burling sauce..! Tastes good according to the Volvo Tracker and Brunel fans. The big question is do the Spanish have their own recipe?????? :D

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

If BR sail right on past MF, presumably the secret mode could be discovered.  Time for a drone flight?

Not much chance of that Kenny.

4 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

SS is having a nightmare atm ;)

2 hours ago, Miffy said:

Oomf North Sea sea states coming in play.

Heinous - not for the faint hearted. A superbe test for the determination and stamina of the crews.

• Like 1

Yellow ..... incredible..... what ever mode it is , I want some... Very hard going for all right now.. The footage in raw of the J1's coming down gives us appreciation of how hard this can be

• Like 1

According to the Race Experts TBRU is grinding down DFRT and MAPRE due to a better trim and superbe helming

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

At that latitude this time of the year I don't think there are too many minutes without daylight anyway, but yes, nice to have an actual daytime finish!

I did an overnight race (Faerder race, still the worlds biggest!) last Friday and it didn't get dark at all. But we had no clouds. They have clouds now so it might get a little dark around midnight, for a couple of hours. 

Sea state might not be too horrible, it's been windless for weeks so this is the first big low we have seen since....early May. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

22 minutes ago, Herman said:

SS is having a nightmare atm ;)

I think not. My belief is Shang has hijacked that aircraft and is now circling the Nth Sea. I'm very fearful now of his next instruction to the pilot and anyone aboard any boat coloured yellow or red or appears both yellow and red from a height of 20,000'

Good morning! And what a good morning it is indeed! :D

Dutchies giving the Donger quite the headache :huh:, and TTOP is coming as well :o

Now where I my yellow and black pom-poms...:)

8 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

I did an overnight race (Faerder race, still the worlds biggest!) last Friday and it didn't get dark at all. But we had no clouds. They have clouds now so it might get a little dark around midnight, for a couple of hours. 

Sea state might not be too horrible, it's been windless for weeks so this is the first big low we have seen since....early May. 

Pity, we did not meet in Tønsberg.

Our delivery crew on the way back to Kiel reported 42 knts on the beam sunday night north of Skagen. So maybe not so windless outside the fjord.

6 minutes ago, GER.Maintrimmer said:

Pity, we did not meet in Tønsberg.

Our delivery crew on the way back to Kiel reported 42 knts on the beam sunday night north of Skagen. So maybe not so windless outside the fjord.

Ai ai, which boat and class were you in?