Herman

VOR Leg 10 Cardiff to Gothenburg

22 minutes ago, t.rex said:

Anybody know the sea state now along that coast? It's only about 40 nm distant from the fleet.

Shitty - you don't want to be there within miles of that lee shore with a near-gale blowing. 

• Like 2

One good thing I suppose. At least MAPFRE's rear vision mirror is now clear of those bloody horses. ;)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, manin said:

Monohulls built for ocean racing normally have little holes in from of every appendix. The crew can introduce a periscope that allows them to check whether there is anything stuck on the blade of the keel, the daggeboards or the rudders.

Not normal. A window only at best for main appendage/retractable prop. These are saildrives and semi arse hung accessible rudders.

8 minutes ago, stief said:

MAPF still haven't matched TBRU's speed. Now .4 behind. 

Painters might fancy having Spanish enchiladas for lunch...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elisa said:

Good word--"fancy". They can fantasize all they want, but whatever happens, MAPF will be on their minds and will continue to grind away at their dreams ;) 

3 minutes ago, Elisa said:

That would spice up the scoreboard a little more, Elisa. ;)

Mapfre and Yellow still afloat. There must have been an Air Marshall on Shangs flight.

Do they have wifi in Swedish prisons?

• Like 1

If there is such a thing, it was a good day to be home with a virus. Besides it's been pissing down all day.

4 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Spanish enchilada? Hahaha there’s no such thing.

• Like 1

Somebody please reassure me the breeze will hold to the finish. 

1 minute ago, manin said:

Spanish enchilada? Hahaha there’s no such thing.

Sure there is. It's called fusion.

1 minute ago, paps49 said:

..it was a good day to be home with a virus...

What is her real name??

• Like 1

I hope Capey packed the slimming pills.

• Like 1

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

What is her real name??

Haven't you met Virus the sister in law?

3 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Does he like pickled herring?

Yeah, he might need that after that heavy Spanish breakfast this morning (although no enchiladas apparently...) and the burgers and beers that await him :).

Maybe this Live will play through

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Haven't you met Virus the sister in law?

No but anyone called Alotta Fagina I can appreciate the attraction. Now the girls won't speak to me.

12 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Not normal. A window only at best for main appendage/retractable prop. These are saildrives and semi arse hung accessible rudders.

Yeah, that’s right.

Mapfre dropped her speed by 3kn... sail change? HOIST THE WOMPER!

Laugh it up, fur balls. Bouwe has his cap ready.

• Like 1

BRUNEL just shook out their reef. They want this.

And MAPF grinding 'em down . . . . again 

14 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Does he like pickled herring?

13 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Yeah, he might need that after that heavy Spanish breakfast this morning (although no enchiladas apparently...) and the burgers and beers that await him :).

I was thinking more "off label" uses. ;-)

DF at 11.2 knts :/ tracker glitch ? changing something ?

1 minute ago, stief said:

And MAPF grinding 'em down . . . . again 

Except no one's getting around those bricks @ 90 true, lots of pain for some. I'm not sure any will make it.

• Like 1

Just now, yl75 said:

DF at 11.2 knts :/ tracker glitch ? changing something ?

Been watching that. Maybe they're the first to outrun the gale? Winds softening across the fleet.

Looking at the tracker and what the land is doing to the wind, I keep getting passages from Horatio Hornblower in the Baltic.

Sheesh--youTube even has as audiobook clip . . . 

12 minutes ago, paps49 said:

I was thinking more "off label" uses. ;-)

He might need a lot of off label things, everything with alcohol in it is ridiculously expensive in Scandinavia :)

4 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

Ai ai, which boat and class were you in?  

I assumed you had that figured out already: Edelweiss- the only entry from down south. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stief said:

Looking at the tracker and what the land is doing to the wind, I keep getting passages from Horatio Hornblower in the Baltic.

Sheesh--youTube even has as audiobook clip . . . 

Sorry have run out of likes apparently.

Do we have to listen to the whole thing?

• Like 1

Sorry have run out of likes apparently.

Do we have to listen to the whole thing?

Nah--unless you like plummy accents. I stopped listening after a few minutes. Text is best. Can fill in one's own preferred accent ;) 

They don’t know why they were slower than others, fortunately no breakage. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Arrggg.

Haha. Exactly what I was thinking seeing how TBRU had sorted out the reef change and extending on MAPF in this wind. Arrrgh.

I'll find out in the morning but wouldn't be surprised if the  podiums are set. God these people must be tired.

23 minutes ago, GER.Maintrimmer said:

I assumed you had that figured out already: Edelweiss- the only entry from down south. :rolleyes:

Aha. You were not in our class then - I was in T4, x-35. We beat you a couple of hours on corrected time :)

• Like 1

This SA thread is courtesy of our partner Telefonica who know this VOR leg well and who have shed more tears upon the upcoming shoreline in 2012 that Sweden is now awash with slightly salty water.

I'm hoping there is no internet in Sweden or Shang has lost his phone.

1 hour ago, Elisa said:

Could we perhaps even see the Painters overtake the Spaniards and have 1Brunel 2Akzo 3Mapfre 4 TTOP and 5DongFeng? :ph34r:

I won’t put it in  the calculator yet... don’t want to jinx it. 

It has no impact on the underlying score line if Painters overtake Mapfre.  In effect the three leading boats will still start Leg 11 in a dead heat.

Tactically that is interesting because if Mapfre are not too tired to do the math, they can take some risks to try and regain the lead.   If there is an opportunity on the way in to Gothenberg which presents a 30% chance of overtaking Brunel to regain the lead and a 70% chance of dropping to third...they should take that opportunity.

^^ Mambo things change considerably if Dee pushes Charles out the backdoor ...and which is sort of happening now.

Go girl.

• Like 1

That has been some boatspeed by Brunel. Hope to find some time to watch all the video from this leg some time in the coming weeks. Looks like there is quite a lot of good footage.

Seems there is still some variation in conditions coming up as they will get close to a lee shore, crossing big water, get close to a windward shore and then the final cross to Goteburg. Normally, I would guess that the variations in conditions will not be big enough to change the order of the fleet, but for this one it seems all bets are off. Considering how tired and worn everyone must be, I think all top 5 boats have a realistic chance to get on the podium.

Here is to hoping they all manage to keep their crew and boats in one piece.

13 minutes ago, Mambo Kings said:

It has no impact on the underlying score line if Painters overtake Mapfre.  In effect the three leading boats will still start Leg 11 in a dead heat.

Tactically that is interesting because if Mapfre are not too tired to do the math, they can take some risks to try and regain the lead.   If there is an opportunity on the way in to Gothenberg which presents a 30% chance of overtaking Brunel to regain the lead and a 70% chance of dropping to third...they should take that opportunity.

If Mapfre wants to make a move, they need more boat speed first. They just dropped to 0,5 0,6 0,7 nm DTL. And not much alternative routing possible AFAIK: it is a drag race to the finish.

1 hour ago, stief said:

Maybe this Live will play through

Brunels Secret Sauce is revealed in this shot......

TUNES.........they have the headphones on and are blasting across the North Sea with the tunes cranking.

Headphones.PNG.cea85d5d02f3f4f849a52350eb6232c9.PNG

13 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

^^ Mambo things change considerably if Dee pushes Charles out the backdoor ...and which is sort of happening now.

Go girl.

Indeed if Dee overtakes Charles.   My point was

It has no impact on the underlying score line if Painters overtake Mapfre. 

And Mapfre is better off if Painters overtook both Mapfre and Brunel......but right now that is academic because the Engineers are on fire.

How DF recovers and stays together as a team will be the test of whether they will win the VOR. Given their prior boat atmosphere I'm not certain they can recover during this leg, but perhaps for the next one. 

MAPFRE atmosphere and team culture (without Iker) will probably be okay if they lose the stage win to Brunel. They tie Brunel and put points between themselves and DF. 

Just now, stief said:

huh?

Stief, you get on interesting twitter accounts :rolleyes: - but seriously, Anja makes handmade puppet clothes. Bouwe will be surprised when het gets one, his daughter Laura just turned 20 last week :D

1 minute ago, Miffy said:

MAPFRE atmosphere and team culture (without Iker) will probably be okay if they lose the stage win to Brunel. They tie Brunel and put points between themselves and DF. 

If they finish in the current order, then it will be a threeway tie going into the final leg.

A three way tie on the last leg? Unheard of in the history of the race.   And those old fossils Hancock and Wheatley yearn after the good old days and drivel on about it being a "charade".  What tossers!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Herman said:

Stief, you get on interesting twitter accounts :rolleyes: - but seriously, Anja makes handmade puppet clothes. Bouwe will be surprised when het gets one, his daughter Laura just turned 20 last week :D

Well, had to rely on yours when you were banned :) (or sulking). 

I get that the uniforms are of the teams, but are the dolls supposed to look like Bouwe?

4 minutes ago, Miffy said:

How DF recovers and stays together as a team will be the test of whether they will win the VOR. Given their prior boat atmosphere I'm not certain they can recover during this leg, but perhaps for the next one. 

If it would be a tie after this leg, it will be hard to take it from Brunel in The Hague. The Dutch will just carry, shout and scream it over the finish. Homecoming is hard to beat me thinks. I think Brunel should fear the lighter winds a bit, Mapfre is better in those circumstances. They are in the lead but it is not even one nm. Fat lady not singing yet.

2 minutes ago, Mambo Kings said:

If they finish in the current order, then it will be a threeway tie going into the final leg.

A three way tie on the last leg? Unheard of in the history of the race.   And those old fossils Hancock and Wheatley yearn after the good old days and drivel on about it being a "charade".  What tossers!

Don't forget the bonus point for leg winner, and bonus for DF assuming they hold onto the quickest overall by the end of the race.

1 minute ago, Elisa said:

If it would be a tie after this leg, it will be hard to take it from Brunel in The Hague. The Dutch will just carry, shout and scream it over the finish. Homecoming is hard to beat me thinks. I think Brunel should fear the lighter winds a bit, Mapfre is better in those circumstances. They are in the lead but it is not even one nm. Fat lady not singing yet.

Indeed. The Fat Lady's blood pressure is high and she has lost 5 kilos  through stress and nerves in the last 5 nm.   By the time this is over she will be skinny and hoarse.

Just now, Swanno said:

Don't forget the bonus point for leg winner, and bonus for DF assuming they hold onto the quickest overall by the end of the race.

Ooops--prepare for a broadside. (Mambo has been all over the points option for a while now.)

Just now, Mambo Kings said:

Indeed. The Fat Lady's blood pressure is high and she has lost 5 kilos  through stress and nerves in the last 5 nm.   By the time this is over she will be skinny and hoarse.

Hope that's true for Niall too (Live upcoming). He can't ramp it up any higher, methinks.

1 minute ago, Swanno said:

Its included

• Like 1

What is up with Akzo? They had to bear off for some time probably either because they had too much breeze for a bit or for a sailchange. They seem to be slower since that happened.

EDIT: Seems they are just poining higher than the others.

1 minute ago, stief said:

Hope that's true for Niall too (Live upcoming). He can't ramp it up any higher, methinks.

I really dont like the odds of him making it through this alive without medical attention.

6 minutes ago, stief said:

I get that the uniforms are of the teams, but are the dolls supposed to look like Bouwe?

Bouwe will be even more surprised. A striking resemblance - bald head: check :D

TBRU still extending through the ups and down in TWS, but both MAPF and TBRU are extending on the fleet.

Looks like both are benefiting over the others in whatever modes they are trying. 

Guess that even after all these years, these sailors are still learning how to push the boats. 

Love OD. Nobody can say "Oh, it's just that the other guys have a better boat in such conditions".

• Like 3

Okay.....I gotta go. I have a conference call with Dutch/Belgium clients in 45 minutes and have to prepare. It should be interesting!!

Just now, stief said:

Love OD. Nobody can say "Oh, it's just that the other guys have a better boat in such conditions".

+ 1,000

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mambo Kings said:

Okay.....I gotta go. I have a conference call with Dutch/Belgium clients in 45 minutes and have to prepare. It should be interesting!!

Refer them to the doll sale. (best wishes for the call; lickeys used up)

VOR has shortened the race by changing the finish line 6 nm to the southwest. Better for safety I suppose with the exhausted crews and all those rocky bits.

The finish line now consists of 2 special purpose beacons on the following rocks; Botto and Vassakaren. these are 5 nm from Trubaduren.

https://volvooceanrace-img.s3.amazonaws.com/files/m47184_si-leg-10-addendum-amdt-04-20180614.pdf

routing from Trubaduren to finish.png

Detail finish.png

• Like 2

Just now, Herman said:

VOR has shortened the race by changing the finish line 6 nm to the west. Better for safety I suppose with the exhausted crews and all those rocky bits.

The finish line now consists of 2 special purpose beacons placed on the following rocks; Botto and Vassakaren. these are 5 nm from Trubaduren.

So add 5 nm to the DTF shown on the tracker.

https://volvooceanrace-img.s3.amazonaws.com/files/m47184_si-leg-10-addendum-amdt-04-20180614.pdf

Wow. Don't like to see RC messing with the options, especially with points so crucial here. Course longer or shorter (add or subtract)?  I first read this as a shortened course. 

Can't see a shorter course helping  TTOP's chances to podium in Europe.

Just now, stief said:

Course longer or shorter (add or subtract)?  I first read this as a shortened course. 

Shortened with +/- 6 nm

23 minutes ago, stief said:

I read that and automatically thought Nial, Hoppy and Randumb trifecta spooning. I have a problem.

Shortedn cours mean I can't go and look at the finnish. Booooring....

45 minutes ago, stief said:

huh?

Super creepy dolls but massive two thumbs up for the shut out to Fish on the SHKS doll 2nd from left. Nice touch. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Big Show said:

Super creepy dolls but massive two thumbs up for the shut out to Fish and the SHKS doll 2nd from left. Nice touch. 

Nice catch. Missed that.

Hmmm. Sailing around and through haystack seas upcoming?

Vestas is going to be pissed all their wind farms are Exclusion Zones so no drone footage with their name on the blades.

7 minutes ago, bajankiwi said:

is everything relentless and unbelievable Niall?

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

989109231_ScreenShot2018-06-14at7_26_50AM.thumb.png.c53184ab574d91dfa06dd008f2597b94.png

• Like 1

If you are looking for a breather from Nial or this race to the finish Scally have just put up this fishing in the channel vid. They didn't catch the tide let alone dinner.

Of all the boats over the past 24 hours DF was slowest at 388NM. Brunel was fastest at 397. That bit on the live coverage of Brunel mowing down and sailing through everyone to the front is damn impressive. Go BB!

Please keep the race OD. The margins are so tight and that's what makes it such a great race. 

A quick last routing for position TBRU at 13:15 position with GFS for wind, plus BSH current and waves. ETA at Trubaduren +/- 22:30 UTC and then 5 nm @ 20 knots = 15 minutes to the finish line = ETA  22: 45 UTC or 00:45 CEST.

quick last routing.png

9 minutes ago, Herman said:

A quick last routing for position TBRU at 15:15 position with GFS for wind, plus BSH current and waves. ETA at Trubaduren +/- 22:30 UTC and then 5 nm @ 20 knots = 15 minutes to the finish line = ETA  22: 45 UTC or 00:45 CEST.

Thanks! Did you happen to note that 30/70 chance for MAPF mentioned upthread, or does it look like TBRU are safely ahead?

1 hour ago, Mambo Kings said:

Indeed if Dee overtakes Charles.   My point was

And Mapfre is better off if Painters overtook both Mapfre and Brunel......but right now that is academic because the Engineers are on fire.

Mesambo my Abacus is only made of bakelite..you must have money or married well to be on top of this stuff.

7 minutes ago, stief said:

Thanks! Did you happen to note that 30/70 chance for MAPF mentioned upthread, or does it look like TRUN are safely ahead?

Brunel is still extending on the fleet, now a 1,0 nm lead on MAPFRE with less than 160 nm to go. The fat lady has been spotted in the VIP-car on her way to the theater, giving autographs. 

2 minutes ago, Zander said:

Heli footage live now.

Thanks--got it

MAPFRE J2 leech and foot shaking like a polaroid picture in all those heli shots. Even looks like negative return on leech. Niall and Conrad aren't saying anything about it. 

• Like 1

I would not fancy going out and adjusting the leech and foot cords in that weather.

This battle, absolutely freacking amazing:

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Nice shots (and find). Thanks. Capey dour as ever.

Fun watching the TTOP-DFRT battle at the same time.

• Like 1

Don't think you can write a script better. 

Xabi's muted professional personality, Charles' transparency, Bouwe the old timer - who will take it? The Hague we go!

Also I'm enjoying TToP passing DF - their point result doesn't show it, but Dee & crew have made it around the world without needing outside assistance, boatyard reprieves. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Elisa said:

After watching this video, what else can we say? What a race.