Sign in to follow this  
martin.langhoff

When is it time to re-coat Carbon mast?

I have a CF mast on my sporty 18f beach cat. Lives in the Florida sun, it's done ~18 months so far.

It's not flaking out, nor releasing "dust". The shine has faded a bit in spots. Are there good practical indicators that a recoat is in order?

Thanks! ~martin

IME 2 years for a clearcoat on carbon in the tropics is best possible case, depends on finish, direct exposure, heat etc

Fuck me, not another repainting carbon mast thread.  

Do a fucking search. 

I've read up and down the forum, sure. Folks talk about flakes and dust once it's gone bad. There's also chatter about various clear coats and procedures with a range of durability. 

I don't know what clear coat was applied on this mast. The manufacturer isn't in the tropics...

With so many variables at play, it makes sense to look at the mast, if there's any telltale signs.

you might want to recoat it with a non-clear coat while you are at it since it leaves under tropical sun

There are so many variables: type of coating, exposure, heat, use, salinity, etc. So it's just guessing.

Learn how UV interacts with paint, and understand enough about the different paint systems available,  application etc. Then its appearance when new compared to its current appearance, then you can make an informed decision about its condition. 

Failing that,  you could just ask a professional. :P

I think black carbon in the sun and water is a bad idea.

i cannot imagine how heating in the sun followed by a cool dip in the  water is a good plan for the long term. 

The worst forms of failure of reinforced plastics happen when the reinforcing fibers break loose from the plastic. 

Glass and carbon strands are each very slippery. The epoxy has great adhesive properties 

but

when epoxies and carbon and glass change temperature, they change size.

they do not change size at the exact same rate per degree temperature change 

personally?? I am surprised the structures don’t fail the first time they suddenly change from too hot to touch to the cool water temperature 

so...

my thought is:

i better paint my carbon white so it doesn’t get hot in the sun 

maybe it doesn’t matter

or maybe we could extend the service life of our carbon parts if we minimized the temperature cycling 

• Like 2