Sign in to follow this  
Carrera

Stanchion pocket leaking

I've got stanchion pockets on my boat that the stanchions slide into. One of the pockets in particular is leaking into the interior of the boat. It looks as though there is a hole in the pocket and I could easily seal it up but wanted to check with the collective wisdom here first on whether there is a reason for this hole and if there is a better method for preventing the pockets from leaking.

Thanks in advance

I'm familiar with stanchion bases and how they can leak, but I'm not familiar with stanchion pockets.

Picture is worth 1k words if you have one.

48 minutes ago, Hovertank said:

I'm familiar with stanchion bases and how they can leak, but I'm not familiar with stanchion pockets.

Picture is worth 1k words if you have one.

Some boats like the O30 have pockets or sockets that the stanchions slip into rather than a base.  Basically cantilevered within the pocket: http://www.olson30.org/projects/radical-refit-olson-30-007-the-source/ 

Knowing the type of hole and exactly where the leak is taking place may help:  hole or crack, though the bottom, bottom wall, top wall.

Express 37s have stanchion pockets.  They do not have intentional holes or drains.  I looked at one that had multiple leaks.  My best guess was fresh water filled the pockets and froze over the winter.  May be what happened to you.  I'd fix the hole and try to keep water out next winter.