So Its time.  My wifes  2008 Saturn Vue Green Line is nearing the end.  It still has some useful life at 80K miles, but the CEL came on, needs new cats, and it has what I would consider a disturbing  bit of rust on the "frame" under the seat pans.  It looks like it rusting from the inside of the  frame out.  We are the second owners (GM exec car for 5000 miles, according to carfax))

We bought the hybrid solely for the HOV exemption which has since evaporated. So we no longer need a hybrid.  I'm driving one and saving the environment  ;) for the both of us.

She stand a whopping 5' tall and still wants to stay in a SUV doesn't need to be a big one though.  her biggest issue, besides, being short, is the rear sight lines.  Its seems that a thick slanted D pillar is the norm.    She's gonig to go out and sit in some of the SUVs

On the wifes Short list.  

2018 Mazda CX-5

2018 Nissan Rogue

2018 Ford Escape

2018 Hyundai Tucson

2018 Kia Sportage

2017 Subaru Forester

2017 Volkswagen Tiguan

I've asked her to also look at the Toyota Rav4 and Honda Crv as well.

Anyone have any experience with  any of the above models from 2016, 2017 or 2018

What about a Suzuki Grand Vitara? My wife isn't tall and loves the her 4-door. It has a 2.4 unit, lots of space and is all-wheel drive with a proper 4H/4L transfer for when it gets a bit hairy. Great value too and servicing is well spaced. It's slightly agricultural inside but isn't dependent on electronics like some of the cars you've listed.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

to be honest, many years ago I had a Chevy Tracker LT which was a Zuki GV  had to have been in the late 90s  had the small v6  4wd ( parents used it to town behind their RV)  was a great vehicle.

but she's looking for a new vehicle,  and  zuki's with 4 wheels aren't sold in the states any more..

on her second choice list were the following cars.  none of which caught my eye. 

2018 Jeep Compass

2018 Buick Encore

2018 Chevrolet Trax

2018 2018 Fiat 500X

2018 Ford EcoSport

Guy-  Not sure why she did not put them on the list.  unless she only thinks of hondas and toyotas as sedans....  but I'll get to sit in them... just to do due dillegence.  I'm not too keen on the Tiguan,  but VW is going pretty aggressive right now with pricing and warranty...

So we'll see.  Jeep/Fiat is out had a compass rntal not to long ago and it was garbage.. and GM is out on principle alone

1 hour ago, Marcjsmith said:

So Its time.  My wifes  2008 Saturn Vue Green Line is nearing the end.  It still has some useful life at 80K miles, but the CEL came on, needs new cats, and it has what I would consider a disturbing  bit of rust on the "frame" under the seat pans.  It looks like it rusting from the inside of the  frame out.  We are the second owners (GM exec car for 5000 miles, according to carfax))

We bought the hybrid solely for the HOV exemption which has since evaporated. So we no longer need a hybrid.  I'm driving one and saving the environment  ;) for the both of us.

She stand a whopping 5' tall and still wants to stay in a SUV doesn't need to be a big one though.  her biggest issue, besides, being short, is the rear sight lines.  Its seems that a thick slanted D pillar is the norm.    She's gonig to go out and sit in some of the SUVs

On the wifes Short list.  

2018 Mazda CX-5

2018 Nissan Rogue

2018 Ford Escape

2018 Hyundai Tucson

2018 Kia Sportage

2017 Subaru Forester

2017 Volkswagen Tiguan

Anyone have any experience with  any of the above models from 2016, 2017 or 2018

I just traded in my 2013 Ford Edge with 162K miles on it and it was still running great.  I wanted to get something a bit bigger to tow a boat, or I would have kept it longer.  I had never been a Ford fan, but I am impressed.  The new Ford SUVs are nice, both the Escape and the Edge are in your size range.  

Jeff,  I have the C-max  which is very similar floor plan as the Escape, and we have a freind who has a new edge that we are likely to take a look at.  We are trying to keep in the mid $20's-30 and its easy to option the edge out well above that...

11 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

Jeff,  I have the C-max  which is very similar floor plan as the Escape, and we have a freind who has a new edge that we are likely to take a look at.  We are trying to keep in the mid $20's-30 and its easy to option the edge out well above that...

That's true.  I was just making the point that I was shocked the Ford drove well into the 100Ks without any major issues.  About the only thing I did was change the oil, tires, brakes, battery.  Towards the end, I was getting some annoying AC issues.  But all fairly minor.  I did 160K in like 4.5 years.  

Have the previous model Forester, no problems at all, although it is a Japanese Import and a diesel, wife loves it due to the improved vis over a normal car, and its footprint isn’t actually any bigger than an Impreza, so easy to park and drive in traffic.

My wife's RAV-4 did OK. She even managed to kill two deer with it over an 18 month period - the only downside is that it does not have a truckbed to transport dead deer and, to be completely transparent, she needed a new grill, hood, headlight, bumper, radiator and fender both times. First time she called me crying  - "I killed Bambi". Second time: "fucking deer should all be shot".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wet Spreaders said:

My wife's RAV-4 did OK. She even managed to kill two deer with it over an 18 month period - the only downside is that it does not have a truckbed to transport dead deer and, to be completely transparent, she needed a new grill, hood, headlight, bumper, radiator and fender both times. First time she called me crying  - "I killed Bambi". Second time: "fucking deer should all be shot".

:lol:

41 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

I see that you're near DC - Tyson's Honda usually has some pretty decent buys - they do enough volume to not need to try to squeeze every $$ from each sale.  One other to consider based upon her secondary list is the Nissan "Kick" (replacement for the Juke, I think)  

Hyundai has a great warranty for a reason, IMHO - they need it.  Slam doors back to back on a Hyundai and a Subaru/Honda - you'll see the difference.  No offense intended to those who love their Hyundais - but, I buy a vehicle to put 300K miles on it.  My 2013 outback is sitting at 170K and going strong.  

Mrs Rum has a Subaru Forester from 2016. Great car but not the sexiest to drive. Still, it performs great in snow and bad weather.  Honestly, I think you can't go wrong with a Subaru.

The only one I know for sure stinks is the CRV..  Sister in law had one and could not get the thing up any kind of incline when it was slippery.  They lived in the mountains though, but that one lasted the Honda lovers about 2 months.  They ended up with a Volvo.  The Rav4's, I feel, have the tiniest windows on the planet, so if she needs to see, well that counts that out.  We looked at the level up cars from where you are going, but found the same thing that a couple people have already said.  The Hyundais/Kias and cheepo SUV's all sound like tin cans when compared to the Jeeps/Toyotas etc.  when you slam the doors and drive around a bit.  We almost pulled the trigger on the new Cherokee, but It didn't have the guts to tow the boat, at the time they had just done the redo on it and it got all the hardware for best small suv etc that year.  Really really happy with the grand Cherokee though.  

3 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

The only one on that list I can recommend as a worthy candidate is the Outback.  Curious as to why the CR-V and RAV4 were excluded from the list? 

I didn't see the Outback on the list, Forrester is different, no?

VW-  I'm not overly keen on european vehicles  since its expensive to fix things.  but with more and more cars going with all the electronics,  even asian cars are not cheap when something goes wrong.   Is there any other reason to stay away from the VW

Snow-  we don't get that much snow, and when we do, the wife doesn't move around much in it...  So i'm not really looking for a AWD or 4wd vehicle.

Guy,  yeah we have just about every make/model dealer within 5 miles so not having to drive all over hells half acre will be nice

Ford.  I'm on 60k on my 2013.  asside from a a few 'new model year' hiccups on non critical stuff, that car has been great.

Jeff- we did 4K in damage to my dad envoy about 8 years ago.  My grandmother likes to go to Dec 24 christmas eve church service.  8 point blitzen took out bumper, front fender, hood, winshield and mirror.  Win Win...didn't have to sit through church and had good stew for the holidays

17 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

The only one on that list I can recommend as a worthy candidate is the Outback.  Curious as to why the CR-V and RAV4 were excluded from the list? 

The outback wasn't on the list

Subaru also makes the Crosstrek which has the same ride height as the Forester so that may be an option for her as well. Assuming mention of height meant she wanted to sit up with respect to a car. Not a full box SUV but still a great car and a little cheaper as well. 

14 hours ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Wife loves her 2 yr old RAV4. Son likes his Tucson, even though it got a new transmission under warranty.

My '09 is still going just fine, 140K, third transmission due to mfg. fuckup (TSB-0192-10) though everybody has a bad day now and again.   Their tongue weight and overall haul weight capacity seems low, for a pregnant Corolla even.  Adding doughnut-shaped spring spacers helped a lot with trailer sag when pushing the tow limit.  The "trailer package" included a heavier alternator and supposedly larger radiator but I added the hitch & wiring conversion.

I get the idea that it is not available in the V-6 as it was, pre-2012 or something like that.  If I want the muscle to get on a busy highway (or keep up with a trailer full of wood), I'd have to get a Highlander or the like. With the same engine and drive train as the Sienna family van and 1,100 lbs less weight, it can walk up hills with little extra effort and help passengers with constipation with their ailment.  All the smaller/middle size crossovers are seemingly L4's - nttawwt except as just mentioned.   

Other than expected maintenance (struts/shocks, oil & gear lubes, normal stuff) I'd trust the spouse out and about in any weather with it.

How is the GMC Terrain Denali not on that list? Ratz loves hers.

58 minutes ago, TPG said:

How is the GMC Terrain Denali not on that list? Ratz loves hers.

I can't do GM,  Its a principal thing.  when they files for bankruptcy they fucked over my grandfather and uncle....to the point of them closing down a 90 year old dealership.

I'll never buy anything new from GM. and it would take a lot for me to even set foot on a GM lot to buy a used vehicle.

Dreade.  trying to keep it close to $25k

we have great credit so I'm hoping for 0% interest, but baring that we have enough cash to buy it outright as well.

Your loss. She looked at a lot of small SUVs and settled on that.

I dont disagree with you. they are nice

But we all have principals and lines that we wont cross.  This is one of mine. To this day,  I'll never understand why  GM did what they did to my family, and those of our employees and subcontractors...  since the next closest Cadillac dealer was nearly 40 miles away, and the the nearest GMC, Buick and Pontiac dealer was 20.  There was no reason to tighten the screws so hard and force the closure.

Up until that bankruptcy,  Id never even think about buying a non GM vehicle new or used...

Ah, my kingdom for a decent largish sport wagon...

If sight-lines are important, Subaru works hard to ensure the pillars aren't too wide and that blocked angles of view are minimized. The CVT is a drag, but has gotten better. Get an XT if you can.

5 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

VW-  I'm not overly keen on european vehicles  since its expensive to fix things.  but with more and more cars going with all the electronics,  even asian cars are not cheap when something goes wrong.   Is there any other reason to stay away from the VW

Snow-  we don't get that much snow, and when we do, the wife doesn't move around much in it...  So i'm not really looking for a AWD or 4wd vehicle.

Guy,  yeah we have just about every make/model dealer within 5 miles so not having to drive all over hells half acre will be nice

Ford.  I'm on 60k on my 2013.  asside from a a few 'new model year' hiccups on non critical stuff, that car has been great.

Jeff- we did 4K in damage to my dad envoy about 8 years ago.  My grandmother likes to go to Dec 24 christmas eve church service.  8 point blitzen took out bumper, front fender, hood, winshield and mirror.  Win Win...didn't have to sit through church and had good stew for the holidays

I would go with the Ford.  Escape or Edge.  I had an AWD Edge that I really like and it drove well. As I said I traded it in at 160+K and it was still going strong with no issues.  I just moved up to the 2018 Explorer Sport and LOVE it so far.  

6 minutes ago, Elegua said:

Ah, my kingdom for a decent largish sport wagon...

If sight-lines are important, Subaru works hard to ensure the pillars aren't too wide and that blocked angles of view are minimized. The CVT is a drag, but has gotten better. Get an XT if you can.

Find an old Country squire  :)   Yeah I noticed that the Subbies tend to be a bit more upright.  not worried about CVTs  for the wife, the car is an appliance.  She doesn't like the lakluster off the line of the saturn  0-60 in 10.9 seconds... I imagine the the subbies will blow that away  even with a cvt

21 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

The Crosstrek is less money, just 20 G's.  It's just a rebodied Imprezza with more ground clearance and bigger wheels.  Had one for a year and a half, and it was great,  just a wee bit underpowered, for my preferences, so traded up to the WRX.

At 170k miles on my second Lexus RX. Same mechanicals as the Toyota Highlander. 25-30k mile lease returns are $25-30K. Decent towing. Good in the light to moderate snow we get in this area and good grocery getter. 18-20 MPG in town on premium is a real cost. 

Rented an Edge AWD for a couple of weeks in darkest Iowa. Was impressed but it’s a harsher ride than the uprated Toyota. 

If all she wants is a grocery getter with good viz and low ownership costs, hard to beat the Subie line,  just got to be ok with the CVT (and I hear it’s getting better).  Crosstrek is pretty small for carrying stuff and pretty low on power but those that like them are hooked. 

Of course, the last cute lady I tried to talk into a Crosstrek bought a Fiat Spyder Abarth and loves it so what would I know?

the newer (2013+) CVT in the Subaru has worked pretty well for me for 170K miles.  I had a Nissan (small econobox rental) when I was in China Lake in 2016, and I was decidedly not impressed with the CVT in it.  It revved way too high w/no acceleration, revved uncomfortably upon sudden decel (like you'd downshifted a gear too far) - and aside from the fact that the A/C worked well in Death Valley - there was nothing about it that would make me want one.  

My subaru is unobtrusive, to the point that I really notice the shifting when I drive my wife's CR-V.  Subaru earned a fan with this car. 

Dreade.  trying to keep it close to $25k

I'm waiting for the new ford bronco to drop, I may trade my truck in , but new renditions are showing 4 door and that may kill it for me...  You haven't said what type of driving and where , other than she likes to sit high..   

14 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

the newer (2013+) CVT in the Subaru has worked pretty well for me for 170K miles.  I had a Nissan (small econobox rental) when I was in China Lake in 2016, and I was decidedly not impressed with the CVT in it.  It revved way too high w/no acceleration, revved uncomfortably upon sudden decel (like you'd downshifted a gear too far) - and aside from the fact that the A/C worked well in Death Valley - there was nothing about it that would make me want one.  

My subaru is unobtrusive, to the point that I really notice the shifting when I drive my wife's CR-V.  Subaru earned a fan with this car. 

I rented the same Nissan in Boston some years ago. I share your loathing. Of course, you went to Ridgecrest so you deserved what you got.

I think the outback has pretty restricted options for roofracks if that's important to you...

the factory roof rails thing with the big black plastic pieces affects the options when attaching aftermarket crossbars - you can't easily get them far enough apart to carry something like a dinghy well

I looked at it when i was looking for a car for my daughter. the owners complain a lot about the roof rack problem (on US cars) in the subaru forums. 

I ended up getting her a CX-5. I think it's pretty good.

27 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

I'm waiting for the new ford bronco to drop, I may trade my truck in , but new renditions are showing 4 door and that may kill it for me...  You haven't said what type of driving and where , other than she likes to sit high..   

no off road,  just a grocery getter to replace the saturn Vue. and to be used on any road trips, not that she goes more than a few hours at a stretch

7070  have not used/needed roof racks in forever.  and I dont; see that trend changing anytime soon.  Id love to build a kayak or a canoe and play around on the potomac,  but it would end up being wall art after a few uses...

16 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

I rented the same Nissan in Boston some years ago. I share your loathing. Of course, you went to Ridgecrest so you deserved what you got.

I was sincerely considering a vacation rental in Trona... 

• Like 1

Bought my Mom a CR-V last year. She likes it but her criteria are easy to park, comfy seats and satellite radio. The CVT does a fairly good job. The car is quiet and comfortable. It has lots of nanny gadgets which is good for her since she's 81. I wouldn't call it fast, if that matters.

I've got an Outback, it's a good car. I just bought my mom a 2018 Rav4, also very good. I wouldn't dissuade anyone from buying either car.  But I just rented a Mazda CX5 in California this week and it really turned my head. Got 31 mpg, very comfortable and quiet and better looking than either the outback or the Rav. Daughter will be buying a new car next year and I'm going to have her take a serious look and the Mazda. 

2 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Of course, the last cute lady I tried to talk into a Crosstrek bought a Fiat Spyder Abarth and loves it so what would I know?

I liked the Crosstrek okay, until I test drove the 268 HP WRX! LOL!  Same basic 2-liter flat four, but turbo'd and tuned to make 116 more HP than the SUV!!

2 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

I liked the Crosstrek okay, until I test drove the 268 HP WRX! LOL!  Same basic 2-liter flat four, but turbo'd and tuned to make 116 more HP than the SUV!!

My wife was keen on the XV, think it is the same as the cross trek, but the boot was very small, persuaded her to buy a WRX , which she absolutely loved, then when I bought a diesel Forester she swapped cars with me, win win! All are manual transmission, in SA automatics were always seen as old people’s cars or cars for people who can’t drive. So everyone from my generation learned to drive stick shift, I really don’t know what I am going to replace the WRX with if they do away with all manual boxes.

32 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

Bought my Mom a CR-V last year. She likes it but her criteria are easy to park, comfy seats and satellite radio. The CVT does a fairly good job. The car is quiet and comfortable. It has lots of nanny gadgets which is good for her since she's 81. I wouldn't call it fast, if that matters.

One very nice safety feature that new Hondas have is a camera in the passenger's side mirror - when you click on the right turn signal, you get a display like the backup camera depicting the right side of the car, complete w/distance graduations.  Real good way to see if you're clear to move over.  I'm not a big car-gadget guy, but, I like that one, and think it ought to be standard equipment on everything. 

I bought my mother an Escape last year for the same reasons as stated above.  To get her a bit higher up off the road to have better vis.  She loves it.  She's 78. 

I drove it and gave it a good wringing out.  Not as much power as the Edge Sport that I had at the time, but more than adequate.  The ergo was nice, very comfortable to drive and I got it pretty loaded for ~$24K new off the lot cash.  I'm really impressed with the new Sync 3 system with apple and Android car play.  Works well.  

None of these are SUVs.   All crossover-cars.

5 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

If the Acura is on the list, then the volvo XC40 is probably also worth a look.

3 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

One very nice safety feature that new Hondas have is a camera in the passenger's side mirror - when you click on the right turn signal, you get a display like the backup camera depicting the right side of the car, complete w/distance graduations.  Real good way to see if you're clear to move over.  I'm not a big car-gadget guy, but, I like that one, and think it ought to be standard equipment on everything. 

I'm a REALLY big fan of the backup camera.  I vowed I would never use it when I first had one, but now its a crutch.  My Porsche doesn't have it so when I drive it, I'm stressed when backing into a spot now.  Now my new truck has a front bumper camera as well as a reverse camera.  Fuck!  Too much going on!  :lol:

I was a Ford and Chevy owner forever due to work. Retired and bought a 2015 Subaru Outback. Very impressed. Not a lot of towing capacity though. 

I was going to defend the VW possibilities but fuck 'em.  The current gen (bloated to 2 inches shy of the touareg) tiguan is only available with 2.0 turbo;  a recent look at some comparison chart showed that VW was pretty decent for dependability but Audi --- pretty much all turbos --- was down the list about five places.  As usual VW doesn't give the buying public enough credit, but that could be because the buying public has proved stupid....The 2.5 engine, no turbo, found in sedans and golfs is basically bulletproof but doesn't have a "T" on the badge.  

Regarding visibility, hopefully the pinched ass end trend is moving on, witness the new xc90 that looks great and has big old windows on the back side.  So much so that it looks like my second gen touareg :) .   VW and Tregs can't be all bad, even some guy up in the PNW who built an amazing 60 foot daysailer has one that he's mentioned in passing.  diesel.  Ok so I'm  stalky, but they're cars, and  dammit this is 'murica and it's our birthright to be a little particular about them.  

When mine threw a timing chain last spring we thought we would be practical.  Looked at Pilots, Highlanders, a Volvo... then bought a 2014 Touareg.  And a few months later bought back my 07 cause the shop that rebuilt it gave me first dibs (I'd surrendered it to them after engine removal and replacement estimate that came down a few grand when all was done). 

Re: the OP, I'd go Ford Escape.  Perry seems to like his Crosstrek.

Cars--- the useful indulgence we get to enjoy every day.

I'm am intrigued my the new Rav4 2019 Hybrid...AWD with Toyota off road power to wheel sensors....I bought a 2016 4Runner Trail thinking of doing the Overland thing with a Oregon Trailer teardrop trailer...wife never bought into the concept ,so now I a stuck with a off road gas hog  beast and nowhere to go...the styling and rugged upgrade might be a compromise 

Likely too big (& old) for you, but I love my 2014 Honda Pilot, that I bought used.  It's not that long a car - it fits easily into the tight spots of downtown Boston.  Winter handling seems perfectly fine.  It's a Honda, so repairs are minimal and do not break the bank.  And the back-up camera is huge and tremendously helpful.  Plenty of storage and towing capacity.  I needed the 3rd seat for family purposes; if I did not need a 3rd seat I might consider the Outback.

1 hour ago, Major Tom said:

My wife was keen on the XV, think it is the same as the cross trek, but the boot was very small, persuaded her to buy a WRX , which she absolutely loved, then when I bought a diesel Forester she swapped cars with me, win win! All are manual transmission, in SA automatics were always seen as old people’s cars or cars for people who can’t drive. So everyone from my generation learned to drive stick shift, I really don’t know what I am going to replace the WRX with if they do away with all manual boxes.

So long as their are driving enthusiasts like us, they will always offer a stick in certain cars, and besides, the auto slush-box costs more!  I am hoping that the auto dual clutch trannys will become good enough at matching the revs in a down shift, that I can have a paddle or auto stick, that I can drive like a real manual, but put into auto mode, when driving in stop-go, bumper to bumper traffic.  If I had to commute daily in LA type traffic, I would NOT drive a manual for my daily commuter car.  I had a Lexus IS300 with a paddle and sequential stick, but it was not as smooth in a downshift at 75 mph, as my clutch, throttle blip, and manual downshift.

EDIT - Bonus withe WRX over Crosstrek, is all my sailing gear piled up in the WRX trunk, is not as visible, or in the way, as in the small boot space of the SUV.

On 5/30/2018 at 1:58 PM, Marcjsmith said:

2018 Mazda CX-5

2018 Nissan Rogue

2018 Ford Escape

2018 Hyundai Tucson

2018 Kia Sportage

2017 Subaru Forester

2017 Volkswagen Tiguan

Marc,

First problem, you have not listed one vehicle that is an SUV.

Second, the CX-5 is a great car.  Drives well (really nice on the highway), put together well, comfortable, looks decent for a jelly bean.  Very good choice.  I have experience with a 2016, the 2018 is only a minor refresh of the same platform.

--Matt

Kia or hyundai. I bought a kia soul recently. Nice. I'm now looking for an older jeep wrangler for fun. Which brings to mind, how many cars is enough? I'll have 3 for myself. 

8 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

I'm am intrigued my the new Rav4 2019 Hybrid...AWD with Toyota off road power to wheel sensors....I bought a 2016 4Runner Trail thinking of doing the Overland thing with a Oregon Trailer teardrop trailer...wife never bought into the concept ,so now I a stuck with a off road gas hog  beast and nowhere to go...the styling and rugged upgrade might be a compromise 

Fuck but that's an ugly mode of transport!

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

To get her a bit higher up off the road to have better vis.

When all of you are driving lifted up station wagons, will a lifted cross over/SUV war ensue? With everybody going higher and higher to see above the higher SUV in front of you...?

I got one of these. A lowered SUV  :)  Doesn't tip over when going fast around corners in the rain.

leftfront3.jpg

6 hours ago, egon said:

Marc,

First problem, you have not listed one vehicle that is an SUV.

Second, the CX-5 is a great car.  Drives well (really nice on the highway), put together well, comfortable, looks decent for a jelly bean.  Very good choice.  I have experience with a 2016, the 2018 is only a minor refresh of the same platform.

--Matt

Thanks for the feedback on the Mazda.   Motor trend has a pretty broad definition of an suv based on their buyers guide.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-new-suvs-ultimate-buyers-guide/

zonk,  yeah I could go for a wagon.  But after 20 years of marriage I’ve learned that a happy wife means a happy life.  And she would not be happy in a wagon 

zonk,  yeah I could go for a wagon.  But after 20 years of marriage I’ve learned that a happy wife means a happy life.  And she would not be happy in a wagon 

If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.  

i'm going to look at the new volvo XC 40 over the weekend

my wife needs a car and she thinks that it might work for her. I think it's about the same size as the CX-5, but probably a bit more expensive.

On 5/31/2018 at 9:28 AM, Marcjsmith said:

darth,  don't need ground clearance,  just a higher sitting position... with a nice greenhouse

I just mentioned the ride height since it leads to the higher sitting position while not being a huge vehicle. Just presenting options. My wife drives a Forester since is was mentioned as best crossover for tall folks(she's a little over 6'), daughter number one has a crosstrek (she lives Bangor), daughter number has a Impreza sport hatchback and my son has a wrung out 2007 WRX hatch. So as a family we are pretty much all in on Subarus and think very highly of them at least for our vehicle needs. 

Subaru is coming out with a larger SUV/crossover this summer called Assent I think and we are waiting for that as our possible next car to replace the Forester.   

On 5/31/2018 at 3:46 PM, Figment said:

None of these are SUVs.   All crossover-cars.

If the Acura is on the list, then the volvo XC40 is probably also worth a look.

Nhaaa, go with the xc60.

Been driving SUVs since 1988. Jeeps, Tahoes etc.

Wife bought me a xc60 2 years ago.  WTF is this????

But it is so much more refined than most suvs in a quiet and capable interior.

Has won me over to the point the guy who keeps his boat next to mine just bought one.

The driveline uses same intelligent Borg/Warner AWD system as Audi/VW.

Gets 27 mpg in town.

I spent this winter doing 700 miles every weekend dragging a trailer to my deceased SIL house to prep it for sale.

The 250 hp is plenty to drag a trailer load of furniture down 95 at 70-80 6 series BMWs in snow and rain.

The real payoff is they are good for 300K without working at it.  Currently have 3 Volvos and all drive like new.

Butt fucking ugly, but once you get past the looks, they are quite the machine and very low to the ground.

and nobody builds a more supportive set of seats (with seat warmers front and back).

When you have to work all week, then climb in a suv to drive for 5 hours to work that weekend, week after week, the refinement helps you keep your sanity.

Only knock I can think of is the roof rack system was poorly thought out.  A trailer makes up for that. (by the way, the system knows you have plugged in a trailer to the lighting system and chages the anti-skid logic work for trailers automatically should the SHTF).

forever slow-  100K is the most I want.  Which would be about 8-10 years...  ready for a new ride at that point  my BIL and SIL just got a xc90 that they brought back with them from europe.  they love it...  way more than I afford at this point in time.

i looked at the XC40 over the weekend - i liked it.., and my wife liked it even more. i think it's better than the X1 or the Q3. Not sure it's worth $10k more than a CX-5 though

basically $43K-44K with what she wants. the inventory is low, and they hardly have any of the higher-end trim levels, which is okay, because i don't think we need one of them. everything she wants is available as an option/package in the base model.

they did not really offer much in the way of discounts off msrp - $500 off, plus a $1000 "loyalty" credit ($500 for a lease) - i own another volvo. it could be that anyone can get that loyalty credit.  i'm sure that by the end of the summer, there will be normal discounting on this car, but we need something now, and this will probably be it.

the other thing is that it seems that you might have to find a dealer with the car you want, as they are not doing much swapping of these cars between dealers right now.

On 5/30/2018 at 10:58 AM, Marcjsmith said:

2018 Mazda CX-5

2018 Ford Escape

2018 Hyundai Tucson

2018 Kia Sportage

2017 Subaru Forester

IMPO..... 

Subaru Forrester would be the best bet and my first choice..   with the new CVT transmission that gas millage has gotten a lot better... and a lot smoother..  If your wife doesn't mind working the gears you can still get this in a manual transmission..    I akin these things to the Volvo 240 Wagon of the 80's - 90's they last for ever..   The only issue is the timing belt and the interference engine...   They recommend it at 60K and it it about a $850.00 job...     Side bar, I know that the Subaru Dealer in Huntington Beach was blowing out the 2017 a few weeks back.... by my calculation you were out the door at $500 below MSRP..  I'm still on their email list for a few years back.

Next would be the Mazda CX-5... Just about every rag out there is giving this thing great marks and reviews.. And it is 100% Mazda built...   I rented one a while back, handles well, and had some spunk to it..  I think you can get these with a stick too..  Ma

VW... stay away from it..  and this is coming from a VW person..  Poor mileage, and boxy rough ride.   I have been real disappointed in the quality as of late..  

KIA and the Hyndai have great warranties and they too have good reviews.. haven't driven either though... 

Nissian - I believe they are the most expensive in the class... 

The Forester has timing chains since 2011. The FB25 engine has a good reputation for reliability. No issues with blowing head gaskets, which was Subaru’s bad rap a few years ago with the older EJ engines. 

On 5/30/2018 at 7:58 PM, Marcjsmith said:

On the wifes Short list.  

2018 Mazda CX-5

2018 Nissan Rogue

2018 Ford Escape

S

2018 Hyundai Tucson

2018 Kia Sportage

2017 Subaru Forester

2017 Volkswagen Tiguan

Dont know those models. 

my current suv is an Audi...smooth ride, great mileage, luxurious interior  with  plenty of  buttons and electronic gizmos 

IMG_8867.JPG

Once I ended up with a Kia rental.  The gearbox was toast.  I talked to the mechanic when I returned the car.  He shrugged and said all the Kias were the same.

6 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Once I ended up with a Kia rental.  The gearbox was toast.  I talked to the mechanic when I returned the car.  He shrugged and said all the Kias were the same.

ok..

Kia Stinger GT Stings Ford Mustang GT In Quarter-Mile Competition Again

Kia’s Stinger GT is remarkably similar to Ford’s Mustang GT in that they’re fun to drive, about the same price, similarly beautiful, and pretty darn close on the drag strip. Given ideal conditions and an ideal driver, the Mustang GT will eke out a victory in the quarter mile, but as has been proven before, and again in this video, the Mustang doesn’t always have the balls to get the win. Stock for stock, the Kia is factory-rated to run a low 13-second et, while the Mustang is occasionally capable of knocking down the quarter in less than twelve. 

Engine
3.3L Twin-Turbo V6
  Power
365 HP / 376 LB-FT
  Transmission
8-Speed Automatic
  0-60 Time
4.7 Seconds

a little heavy at 3800lbs 

8 hours ago, slug zitski said:

Dont know those models. 

my current suv is an Audi...smooth ride, great mileage, luxurious interior  with  plenty of  buttons and electronic gizmos 

IMG_8867.JPG

won't have to spend much on tires, but it looks like it runs on french fry oil..

17 hours ago, us7070 said:

i looked at the XC40 over the weekend - i liked it.., and my wife liked it even more. i think it's better than the X1 or the Q3. Not sure it's worth $10k more than a CX-5 though

basically $43K-44K with what she wants. the inventory is low, and they hardly have any of the higher-end trim levels, which is okay, because i don't think we need one of them. everything she wants is available as an option/package in the base model.

they did not really offer much in the way of discounts off msrp - $500 off, plus a $1000 "loyalty" credit ($500 for a lease) - i own another volvo. it could be that anyone can get that loyalty credit.  i'm sure that by the end of the summer, there will be normal discounting on this car, but we need something now, and this will probably be it.

the other thing is that it seems that you might have to find a dealer with the car you want, as they are not doing much swapping of these cars between dealers right now.

In chatting with a Volvo salesman last week, the XC40 is selling FAR better than anything else in their line, at his dealership they aren't discounting them at all.   Sticker price is the price.

1 hour ago, Figment said:

In chatting with a Volvo salesman last week, the XC40 is selling FAR better than anything else in their line, at his dealership they aren't discounting them at all.   Sticker price is the price.

and no deals on interest rate if you want to finance

if you lease, they have a pretty low money factor, residual was 63% which is okay, fees are competitive - maybe even low. main thing with Volvo is you can't transfer the lease - you are pretty much stuck with it. BMW supposedly makes lease transfer easy.

well we were able to knock the CRV and Tiguan off the list.  still have to sit in the ford, kia and hyundia

I think the Rav4 might be at the top right now...

On 6/5/2018 at 6:33 AM, Figment said:

All of the SUV/Mini SUV/Crossovers are the hot sellers now.  Regardless of the brand, there are no real deals to be made... 

I believe it is R.L Polk & Co that puts out the industry intelligence brief daily on what is selling (both new and used), the prices, etc..  even breaks it it out by color... from information the dealers provide.   If they know that the silver model XYZ is the hot seller.... count on paying MSRP or better for the car.  

On 5/31/2018 at 9:22 AM, Marcjsmith said:

I dont disagree with you. they are nice

But we all have principals and lines that we wont cross.  This is one of mine. To this day,  I'll never understand why  GM did what they did to my family, and those of our employees and subcontractors...  since the next closest Cadillac dealer was nearly 40 miles away, and the the nearest GMC, Buick and Pontiac dealer was 20.  There was no reason to tighten the screws so hard and force the closure.

Up until that bankruptcy,  Id never even think about buying a non GM vehicle new or used...

It's good to stick to your grudges. My old man's grudge was anything by VW or Mercedes, he still has some German shrapnel in his leg from WWII, the VWs and Mercedes are still both "Hitler's cars" to him. For some reason, he loved German optics; the Voightlanders, Zeiss and Schneider, the grudge doesn't extend to optics.

My grudge was with Coor's. I used to drink Coors when I was a kid, that's the beer with which my dad stocked the Sunday afternoon Bronco's games. But after they broke up the union, the Coors family suddenly got a lot wealthier and friends and family who worked at the brewery become unemployed or broke. I wouldn't touch that scab beer until Miller bought them out several years ago. I had my first Coors Banquet a few years ago after a thirty-some year drought. Damned if it didn't taste exactly the way I remembered it. Talk about quality control!

Do hold onto your grudge with GM, in fact, fuck it, I'm not going to buy GM either. Maybe my next truck will be another Dodge, now that they're owned by the Italians, I might as well support the country that manufactures some rather exquisite women, both automotive and human.

One thing I don't understand though ... your wife's old prematurely rusted Saturn, that's basically a GM, isn't it? Is that a pre-GM-BK vehicle?

23 minutes ago, mikewof said:

It's good to stick to your grudges. My old man's grudge was anything by VW or Mercedes, he still has some German shrapnel in his leg from WWII, the VWs and Mercedes are still both "Hitler's cars" to him. For some reason, he loved German optics; the Voightlanders, Zeiss and Schneider, the grudge doesn't extend to optics.

This is something I could never understand with the Jewish population as well, at least where I grew up in suburban Philadelphia. 

1 hour ago, nacradriver said:

This is something I could never understand with the Jewish population as well, at least where I grew up in suburban Philadelphia. 

2 hours ago, nacradriver said:

All of the SUV/Mini SUV/Crossovers are the hot sellers now.  Regardless of the brand, there are no real deals to be made... 

I believe it is R.L Polk & Co that puts out the industry intelligence brief daily on what is selling (both new and used), the prices, etc..  even breaks it it out by color... from information the dealers provide.   If they know that the silver model XYZ is the hot seller.... count on paying MSRP or better for the car.  

Interesting that Ford has said it will stop making all autos by 2022 except the Mustang and concentrate on trucks, SUV's and crossovers. Says a lot about what their market research is telling them. 

I'm a big SUV/Truck guy (driving a 2013 big Ford King Ranch Expedition EL) so I don't have experience with the little fellas but my neighbor across the street has two Rav4's, one a bit older than the other, bought the first one for his wife then after a couple years liked it so much he bought one for himself. Has had no mechanical troubles with either. Loves them.

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

whom do you think all those companies loaned money from after ww2?

The Marshall Plan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Plan

that list is pretty savage, lol.  i went and hugged my wife after reading that list.  #sad to see only 1 american car on there.  the subaru is a decent ride, sorry to be frank and honest, but the rest of that list is absolute garbage

On 5/31/2018 at 9:36 AM, atoyot said:

My '09 is still going just fine, 140K, third transmission due to mfg. fuckup (TSB-0192-10) though everybody has a bad day now and again.   Their tongue weight and overall haul weight capacity seems low, for a pregnant Corolla even.  Adding doughnut-shaped spring spacers helped a lot with trailer sag when pushing the tow limit.  The "trailer package" included a heavier alternator and supposedly larger radiator but I added the hitch & wiring conversion.

I get the idea that it is not available in the V-6 as it was, pre-2012 or something like that.  If I want the muscle to get on a busy highway (or keep up with a trailer full of wood), I'd have to get a Highlander or the like. With the same engine and drive train as the Sienna family van and 1,100 lbs less weight, it can walk up hills with little extra effort and help passengers with constipation with their ailment.  All the smaller/middle size crossovers are seemingly L4's - nttawwt except as just mentioned.   

Other than expected maintenance (struts/shocks, oil & gear lubes, normal stuff) I'd trust the spouse out and about in any weather with it.

My wife's parents still occasionally drive the 1996 Rav4 that they bought her new, when she turned 16.  the thing is still running just fine with 180,000 miles.  everything original except belts, filters, hoses, tires, brakes.  One of my best friends has a new Rav4 hybrid.  Theyre great cars, just super boring and too small to be practical if you're an outdoors/active person w/ a family, etc.  very boring to drive as well.