Sign in to follow this  
RumLine

Jim Bishop Sr. - Fair winds and following seas

Just received this from the Commodore of American Yacht Club.  Jim Bishop had an incredible life on and off the water.  Some would argue that the continued success of the J44 One Design class is entirely his doing.

It is with deep sadness that I inform you Jim Bishop Sr. passed away peacefully with his family at his side Thursday, May 24th. Racing his IOD “Makai,” his J44 “Gold Digger,” and spending time with family and friends on the “Coastal Queen” out of AYC were some of the things he cherished most. Even during his last weeks he was looking forward to this summer’s racing. We will all remember him for his generous spirit, perpetual storytelling and that twinkle in his eye. His life was certainly a one hell of a hook!

Please keep the Bishop family in your thoughts and prayers and respect their privacy as they navigate through this difficult time. There will be another announcement when arrangements have been finalized as Senior would not want to interrupt the sailing schedule, especially the Block Island Race and Bermuda Race. 

Large_N_DSF65231.jpg

8 Bells.... :-(

Fair winds!

He was a true gentleman and ambassador to our sport.

A man of integrity!

Fair winds, Mr. Bishop! He did so much to further the sport and the J44 class, and always welcomed all of us aboard the Queen like family! Wishing peace and happy memories for his family. 

• Like 2

"...And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over."

RIP, and condolences to the family. He'll be missed.

Fair winds Jim.

He was one of the very best people I have known. His friendship, enthusiasm, and generosity knew no bounds. 

Jim  had perhaps the truest insight into what makes sailboat racing such a great pastime, and the sport is very much richer for his having been involved. If more sailors shared his view, the sport would be in a healthier position today.

• Like 2

I am richer for having met him, poorer for his passing. Sail on, sir. Condolences to his family.

Fair winds and following seas my friend

The sailing community lost a good one

Never met him, but it's hard not to know of him and see all the good he did for racing on LIS, and leading by example. Fair winds, Mr Bishop. 

Fair winds, Mr. Bishop.  You will be missed.

Thank you for the times hanging out on the Coastal Queen and those crazy blue drinks.

You have to love a guy who parties so hard his boat captain says screw you all and walks off the boat.

one of the great ones, a true gentleman who lived by the words "it's no fun alone"
save voyage jim, and condolences to the Bishop clan. 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2018 at 2:25 PM, jesposito said:

Fair winds!

He was a true gentleman and ambassador to our sport.

A man of integrity!

+1. The blender parties on the Queen were epic

RIP in peace.  While I never met Mr. Bishop, I have always read and known of him.  Now, I am not sure? But did he not own the Doubroth42 called Mokowahi or something along that line? I remember the boat as one of the many Horizon Sails projects and I actually drover her for a photo shoot for a Horizon Sails advert. 

A loss to sailing. Jim bought Razzle Dazzle and named it Mokuahi. Did Admirals Cup Trials with him when I worked for Bob Barton. It had Sterns hydrolics with a hydrolic mainsheet fine tune. Back in the day! He was a truely fantastic person. 

On 5/30/2018 at 2:13 PM, RumLine said:

Just received this from the Commodore of American Yacht Club.  Jim Bishop had an incredible life on and off the water.  Some would argue that the continued success of the J44 One Design class is entirely his doing.

Large_N_DSF65231.jpg

Rumline,

Don't you think Mr. Bishop deserves some front page respect?

40 minutes ago, jesposito said:

Rumline,

YES!

1 hour ago, jesposito said:

Rumline,

If he's not worthy of the front page, I don't know who is...

Finally a tribute on the front page!

Thanks whoever was responsible for it.:)

Jim was instrumental in my sailing development. 3 times I delivered Gold Digger back from Bermuda, I only had small boat background and was given a the opportunity to gain offshore experience 

Even though I believed I was getting the gift and very lucky to getting this experience, he treated me extremely well.  When we arrived in Jamestown he met the boat, had food delivered while waiting for customs.  Once when I was waiting to shower on Coastal Queen, he offered up the one in his stateroom.  He was genuine.

He was a generous and kind person to me.  Because of his success in life it gave me the opportunity to grow and now I am giving that experience to my children.  He was an asset to the sailing community and I wish I could have said thank you one more time.  

Condolences to the Bishop and Gold Digger families. 

So Sad.  He was a great man and a true ambassador for the sport of sailing.  The fact that he did not want to interrupt the sailing schedule is amazing, in his passing he is still contributing to the sport.  Thank you Jim for the great times on the Queen, as well as the few races I did on Digger.  Sail On.  

Condolences to the Bishop family, I am sorry you have lost a great man.    

Fair Winds Jim. My condolences to the family. Racing Mokuahi was a trip.

Fair winds and following seas.  Our sport has lost a great leader, ambassador, captain, and friend.