cpt_757

Handheld GPS or Vulcan 7

Hello, I am looking for a chart plotter or simple GPS system. (Still using paper chart.)

i believe Vulcan 7 can be use as a stand alone chart plotter.  Vulcan has bigger display than handheld GPS but a handheld one can be handled easily.

What do you guys think? Any recommendation?

3 minutes ago, cpt_757 said:

Hello, I am looking for a chart plotter or simple GPS system. (Still using paper chart.)

i believe Vulcan 7 can be use as a stand alone chart plotter.  Vulcan has bigger display than handheld GPS but a handheld one can be handled easily.

What do you guys think? Any recommendation?

What is your usage? 

A Vulcan (or most anyone's equivalent standalone MFD) has integral GPS, wifi to broad cast to your iphone, and can connect to a bunch of other stuff if/when you want it to. 

It's intrinsically waterproof, can't be dropped, though it can be obscured and is daylight visible unless somebody's in front of it or your battery is dead.

the Sailsteer display is nice if/when you connect a bunch of other stuff to it. 

I carry an old Garmin GPSMAP 76 and a hand held VHF for backup to the 12V powered systems. 

12 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

What is your usage? 

A Vulcan (or most anyone's equivalent standalone MFD) has integral GPS, wifi to broad cast to your iphone, and can connect to a bunch of other stuff if/when you want it to. 

It's intrinsically waterproof, can't be dropped, though it can be obscured and is daylight visible unless somebody's in front of it or your battery is dead.

the Sailsteer display is nice if/when you connect a bunch of other stuff to it. 

I carry an old Garmin GPSMAP 76 and a hand held VHF for backup to the 12V powered systems. 

SailSteer function is nice, Defender has a good price on the refurbished one,  I should go this one.

The Vulcan 7 is pretty good on my boat - a lot of functions.

If you have a reasonably rugged phone with true GPS (versus location determined solely by cell tower location) you can use MX Mariner or a similar app to get very good basic chart support, which is a nice backup to the chartplotter. 

It's two different things though.  The Vulcan 7 has things like Sailsteer, can be integrated with an autopilot or network that includes speed and wind instruments, waypoint marking and routing, etc.  It's got a decent sized screen.  A handheld GPS OTOH is typically a map function only.