So the VOR website has just released news of new ownership: https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/11833_Next-edition-of-the-race-planned-for-2021-under-new-ownership.html This seems to be the guys who are currently running the race and also ran SCA. I'm no ocean race expert but I suspect my fellow SAers view this gang with a bit of a weather eye. (as my mother might say, who having raced a lot at Whitstable in the 1950's, has been a great source of sailing quotes for daily living). The PR handling of the accidents this time, as well as  deep suspicions about the whole way the SCA team was set up, give cause for concern.  What does the SA peanut gallery think?

Sorry, I think at some deep level my brain was avoiding that thread and now I see why.  I should wind up and write a five paragraph think piece on team building and put it there though.

• Like 4

We do need a fresh thread to focus on the actual announcement rather than discussing it in a speculation thread that is run by a toxic OP.

The text from the link posted above

Next edition of the race planned for 2021 under new ownership

"We are determined that the race will go from strength to strength as a sustainable premier world event..."
May 31, 201810:55 UTC

m105384_crop169014_1024x576_proportional © Ainhoa Sanchez/Volvo Ocean Race

As the Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18 builds towards an exciting finish in June in The Hague, organisers can confirm the next edition of the race will start in 2021, under new ownership.

Atlant Ocean Racing Spain, led by Richard Brisius, Johan Salén and Jan Litborn, will take over the Volvo Ocean Race from Volvo Group and Volvo Cars, the co-owners of the event for the past 20 years.

Brisius, Salén and Litborn have extensive experience in the premier round the world race, having worked with seven Volvo Ocean Race campaigns over the past 28 years. Brisius and Salén started as sailors in the 1989-90 race, before finding success as team managers, including winning efforts with EF Language (1997-98) and Ericsson 4 (2008-09). Most recently, they managed Team SCA, the all-female entry, in the last edition of the race.

In November 2017, Brisius and Salén were named President and co-President of the current edition of the Volvo Ocean Race.

m119771_crop169014_1024x576_proportional © Jesus Renedo/Volvo Ocean Race

“The history of this round the world race is inspiring and the future is very promising,” said Brisius. “This race is about people and I am humbled by the prospects to serve some of the finest athletes and sport professionals in this world as well as leading partners to the race and host cities.

“I have been fortunate as many of my dreams have come true. First my dream to sail this race, then my dream be a team manager, followed by my dream to manage the race, and now the dream to be able to steer the future of the race.

“We are in this for the long run and we are determined that the race will go from strength to strength as a sustainable premier world event. I look forward to being part of evolving this unique race by co-operating together with the teams, cities, Volvo and all our key stakeholders.”

The organisers of the race are considering having two classes of boats racing in 2021, potentially with the existing Volvo Ocean 65 one-design class and another class, yet to be determined, competing in the same race.

“We will continue to innovate, and it is promising that from day one we can think long-term as we have the resources secured to deliver the next race already,” said Salén.

m119773_crop169014_1024x576_proportional © Jesus Renedo/Volvo Ocean Race

“Opening the race to another existing class would allow us to tap into an existing inventory of round the world race boats that are at the cutting edge of technology. We see this as a way to challenge the best sailors in the world with a class that encourages development and sits at the forefront of the sport.”

The current leadership group of the Volvo Ocean Race will continue to engage with stakeholders in the coming weeks to move the race to the next level commercially and from a sporting perspective with a view to sharing some more details by the end of this edition of the race.

While the next race will start in 2021, additional significant racing activity is expected to take place as early as possible to offer stakeholders an extended period of activation in the build-up to the start of the next race and to allow future teams the opportunity to build an extensive training programme.

Volvo Cars will remain as a sponsor of the 2021 race, while there is an ongoing conversation already with existing host cities and sponsors for the 2021 race and prior sailing activities.

“The Volvo Ocean Race has been a great vehicle for building customer relationships, strengthening the Volvo brand and presenting our company and our products to a global audience,” says Kina Wileke, Executive Vice President, Volvo Group Communication.

“After twenty years we feel that it is time to hand over responsibility for this prestigious competition to a new and capable owner with the experience and know-how needed to develop it even further,” says Björn Annwall, Senior Vice President at Volvo Cars. “Volvo Cars will continue to support the next edition of the race as a sponsor with special focus on sustainability.”

The current edition of the Volvo Ocean Race started in Alicante, Spain in October 2017 and will continue as planned.

On the water, the racing has been incredibly compelling, and is building towards one of the closest finishes in the history of the race.

Off the water, this edition of the race is setting new standards for media value, race village footfall, and fan engagement, as well as a driving significant economic impact for the host cities.

The 2017-18 edition of the race is scheduled to finish in The Hague on June 30

Thank you for flooding with information that everyone with the slightest interest in VOR already have read.
Great way to promote a new thread.

• Like 2

Of any real interest to SA posters will be the stop overs/route and the boat

The organisers of the race are considering having two classes of boats racing in 2021, potentially with the existing Volvo Ocean 65 one-design class and another class, yet to be determined, competing in the same race.

I hope that the other class will become the premier class an the VO65 will be for budget teams wanting a class win.

I don't know anything about the guys running it to know if it will be more of the same, fuck it up more or move it forward..

2 hours ago, hoppy said:

We do need a fresh thread to focus on the actual announcement rather than discussing it in a speculation thread that is run by a toxic OP.

Just because everyone called you Norman and not Mr Polevaulter there was no need to leave in a tiff. You have a fun time here contradicting yourself.

The OP wanted a discussion about the new owners, while there was already a discussion ongoing in another tread. I just pointed him/her there, so that he/she does not miss it, as he/she was apparently interested in discussing that subject with others and not holding a monologue.
If someone needs a private thread or another thread or a third thread about the same topic, well, it's a free world, go ahead. Makes reading a bit tedious, but we're silly enough to cope.
Just wanted to help.

It's OK, I only made a new thread because I didn't actually check what all was in the other thread so happy to discuss it there. Though does it really need to be that fractious? Ed has just put this up too....

s

• Like 1

It's clearly a traveling circus, traveling billboards and performing monkeys who have to comply with the cameraman's directions.  I can't wait to see what brands they dredge up next time.  Maybe we could have Exxon battling it out with BP?

This event has failed the first test of an Ocean Race, it is being bought and sold like a pork-chop nearing it's best before date.  A whore to the Rich White Corporate Cunts.  Why does everything good have to be commoditised and fucked?

• Downvote 1

Thanks for the Downvote Bakunin, I'm going for gold here, going for 1000 VOR sock downvotes! 

Help me out mate.  Don't stop now!

• Downvote 1

And when the smoke blows over the puppies start crawling out.. not your fault FoilO and remember the Ed is punching FP views where the ads are but this thread is a bad recording of the headless guy.Head.gif.b521453d7009dea0bd9b2eb5f4864d63.gif

4 hours ago, random said:

It's clearly a traveling circus, traveling billboards and performing monkeys who have to comply with the cameraman's directions.  I can't wait to see what brands they dredge up next time.  Maybe we could have Exxon battling it out with BP?

This event has failed the first test of an Ocean Race, it is being bought and sold like a pork-chop nearing it's best before date.  A whore to the Rich White Corporate Cunts.  Why does everything good have to be commoditised and fucked?

So you're probably still a virgin then son

Sorry didn't have my glasses on - thought you wrote sodomised

I know Jack - sorry - money sent to 'Sailing for Kids' already

SS

On 6/4/2018 at 9:55 PM, random said:

Thanks for the Downvote Bakunin, I'm going for gold here, going for 1000 VOR sock downvotes! 

Help me out mate.  Don't stop now!

I helped you out. No need to thank me, just get one of your upvote yourself socks to return the favour... 

2 hours ago, hoppy said:

I helped you out. No need to thank me, just get one of your upvote yourself socks to return the favour... 

Hahahahaaaa, says the guy who rarely contributes more than personal attacks but still has 1710 up votes!

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, random said:

Hahahahaaaa, says the guy who rarely contributes more than personal attacks but still has 1710 up votes!

You need to get your glasses checked. I have 17101 posts, not up votes.

Generally I do contribute but I do save some posts for personal attacks on trolls like you and lately arguing with your buddy Jack.