Sign in to follow this  
LionessRacing

Boot & Cove stripe over Awlgrip

Use a 2-pack (maybe something easier to roll & tip, such as Perfection) so that you don't have to completely remove it  to avoid contamination on future repainting.

(I put Northane (a local 2-pack) over Perfection as Northane had the bootstripe colour I wanted in small quantities. Perfection has limited colours.)

AwlGrip. Don't know why AwlGrip has such a hard to apply reputation. I have used it for years and have never had a problem. For small jobs and touch ups I use a Wooster Red Feather roller. Don't need to tip. Use a little more reducer than when spraying and do several coats. Alternatively, try vinyl tape. Available in colors and widths.

Don't forget to sight down the waterline as well as across. Seen a lot of wavy boot tops that look good from the side.

Appreciate the suggestions. I am not averse to awlgrip, did the topsides 10 yrs back with roller/brush.

S

image.png.62c4202923c8816ddd7805504c435205.png 

This is a cartoon of what I am thinking about. Hull is Whisper Grey Awlgrip, Bottom Dark red Micron 

Awlgrip Cordovan Gold for the cove (approx 1" tall)

and probably Brightside Matterhorn White 6" (midships)  with maybe a 3" Fire Red centered over it. 

putting on all of that with priming, and two coats of each for the boot stripe with a 60 mile drive each way ends up being an all week effort. 

Dropping the red strip cuts two days off that effort. 

image.png.2c1873f5f742cf1e45d5fa8e556c7fde.png

4 hours ago, sailorman44 said:

AwlGrip. Don't know why AwlGrip has such a hard to apply reputation. I have used it for years and have never had a problem. For small jobs and touch ups I use a Wooster Red Feather roller. Don't need to tip. Use a little more reducer than when spraying and do several coats. Alternatively, try vinyl tape. Available in colors and widths.

Don't forget to sight down the waterline as well as across. Seen a lot of wavy boot tops that look good from the side.

I couldn't source Red Feather rollers quickly enough to meet my schedule, so I ended up using 4" high-density foam hot dog rollers and tipping vertically with a china brush. Came out fantastic. 30-35% reducer seemed to be the sweet spot in mid-70°s and dryish conditions.

3mStriping tape 

1/2” for the cove  stripe and 2” fir the boot 

actually?? A 1” tape is sufficient for the boot stripe on most boats 

if the hull is dark, a cove stripe made from 3M reflective white shows up like a florescent bulb. 

I'm not sure how well striping tape would work for the boot stripe. The width of the stripe will vary, especially under overhangs.

By the time you've marked out the bootstripe to get it looking good, you've done 90% of the work so you might as well paint it - one of the easier paint jobs on a boat!

SsAs Going with the white Brightside boot and Cordovan gold Awlgrip for the cove. Wife came up to help with taping. Will dress the constant height, variable width white boot with striping tape. 

CC5419A7-4CC3-467F-B246-30A74864042C.jpeg

ECCB8566-79EB-4A0E-ACDF-08E247EB277E.jpeg