Pewit

Gill Thermoskin Vs Zhik Superwarm Skiff Suit

I sail a (very wet) Weta Trimaran and my 3mm Neil Pride long john wetsuit is getting worn and just isn’t warm enough for me - but I like the freedom of movement.

So I’m looking to replace it with a “warm” skiff suit - but which one and why?

I do not know thee gill one. zhik is expensive but real good

just to confuse you more, this year I bought the lennon suit with the medium top. really,really happy. almost waterproof, incredibly elastic and confortable. i sailed it well from uner 10 degree water to current 20.

I have the Gill Thermoskin but have only worn it a couple times - so far, really like it.  Was able to pick it up on sale for 125 so pretty good deal.  Don’t underestimate the usefulness of Gill’s ‘comfort zipper’:)

Different question, my daughter is allergic to something in neoprene and cannot wear a wetsuit. Rash guards help.  Alternatives this side of a dry suit? Some sort of tight fitting poly?

It was 90 F when the kids went out this morning and the ptrdicyionnis 105f

the problem is how to avoid heat stroke 

5 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Different question, my daughter is allergic to something in neoprene and cannot wear a wetsuit. Rash guards help.  Alternatives this side of a dry suit? Some sort of tight fitting poly?

Please start your own thread - also research previous posts as this has been covered previously 

The most important thing is the fit. Unfortunately each brand only have one fit in different sizes. 

My crew is very happy with the Zhik long john and a Neil Pryde Top. I could not get into the Zhik but Rooster seams to be perfekt for my slightly broader shoulders and my 1,70m. 

Yes there are differences in design and technology but they are really small. Each of the premium brands has good equipment. 

I know a lot of guys who get the women's version, I'm not sure why

On 6/1/2018 at 9:35 PM, Pewit said:

I sail a (very wet) Weta Trimaran and my 3mm Neil Pride long john wetsuit is getting worn and just isn’t warm enough for me - but I like the freedom of movement.

So I’m looking to replace it with a “warm” skiff suit - but which one and why?

On 6/2/2018 at 11:18 AM, Raz'r said:

I bought Sharkskin pants and jacket (and socks). I´ve tested it in 10-12 C temperatures (air and water). It is an amazing material. It fits tight and is as warm as a 2-3 mm wetsuit, but much better:

- it is more flexible, more confortable

- low wind days, when you don´t get splashed with water, the fabric breathes and you don´t get wet from your own sweat as in a wetsuit. Warm and dry.

- if you get firehosed, it does hold a lot of water, but somehow you feel sort of dry on the inside, and keeps you warm. As soon as the firehose stops, it dries quite fast, first it drains by gravity and then dries

- it will still protect you in the water if you swim

- add a spray top and it´s an excellent solution. 

- I even use it inside dry-pants, and sharkskin will breathe and let the dry-pants do their breathing for a 100% dry solution