socalrider

Trimaran “Dolphin Spirit” in San Diego - any intel?

I saw her there nearly a year ago with her screetcher and headsail sagging and flapping, it was sad.

.......... potential

3 hours ago, Hangtime said:

I saw her there nearly a year ago with her screetcher and headsail sagging and flapping, it was sad.

.......... potential

Yeah, not even a sail cover for months as I recall. I agree - would be great to bring her back. Sure looks fast. 

Nice, T. Grainger design, She was up here in the north west, when her original Aussi owner brought/shipped her up north, then eventually sold too Reppy, pulled stripped apart, sanded, painted, and refit some, and then sailed down to San Fran, intention was too single hand race her, was pulled out there and left on the hard for a year or two while being for sale, I'm guessing some one bought her, from further south and now there she sits.

I'm sure Reppy did a fair bit of refit work too her including adding a rudder on the main hull, but cool all epoxy boat.

before and after

Emu_at_Friday_Harbor.jpg

1dolphinspirit.jpg

As the original owners thats all a bit sad. The last information we had was she was at Catalina Island heading to her new home in San Diego. I guess that did not happen.

Very sad if this is the case.

20180603_083902-min.jpg

That boat is not as nice as it looks from afar. The construction was not great and it's had issues.

9 minutes ago, Russell Brown said:

That boat is not as nice as it looks from afar. The construction was not great and it's had issues.

OK, what issues ? I'm curious

I saw some stuff and I heard some stuff, but I never worked on the boat, so the best thing would be to talk to someone who knows the boat well or has done work on it. It looks cool, but I'm not sure that it sails well.

1 minute ago, Russell Brown said:

I saw some stuff and I heard some stuff, but I never worked on the boat, so the best thing would be to talk to someone who knows the boat well or has done work on it. It looks cool, but I'm not sure that it sails well.

I see, thanks for clarifying.

As the original owners l can say she was professionally built by Hart Marine with all of the engineering being done by SP.

In regards to sailing, happily sailed it fully crewed and double handed in all types of conditions from drifters through to being hit with 70knots in a white squall. Sails very nicely in the low to mid 20 knot range without much effort and  with higher speeds needing more concentration (as any boat at that speed would).

We had her up to 33knots at one stage with a sustained burst of 30knots for 5 plus minutes and it was mind boggling as the boat was happy to keep on going but we ran out of water very quickly.

Like any boat she did have some weaknesses and the biggest was not having a central rudder when there was not much wind as you could end up don't "donuts" if you were not concentrating.

Happy to discuss further with anyone if they would like information on her earlier life as that is what l know from real experience. 

10 minutes ago, tri said:

As the original owners l can say she was professionally built by Hart Marine with all of the engineering being done by SP.

In regards to sailing, happily sailed it fully crewed and double handed in all types of conditions from drifters through to being hit with 70knots in a white squall. Sails very nicely in the low to mid 20 knot range without much effort and  with higher speeds needing more concentration (as any boat at that speed would).

We had her up to 33knots at one stage with a sustained burst of 30knots for 5 plus minutes and it was mind boggling as the boat was happy to keep on going but we ran out of water very quickly.

Like any boat she did have some weaknesses and the biggest was not having a central rudder when there was not much wind as you could end up don't "donuts" if you were not concentrating.

Happy to discuss further with anyone if they would like information on her earlier life as that is what l know from real experience. 

Yes, this is what i had found when researching her,...and the builder Hart also has a good reputation.

Thanks

Keith

22 minutes ago, tri said:

Thanks tri. 33kts - Jesus; what a shame to have it sitting there idle. Would love to know what the new owner’s plans are, or if they’ve fallen through. 

From my memory, it showed up at the mooring with a sagging furled headsail and a carelessly flaked uncovered main, and sat there like that for several months. A few months ago I noticed the sails were gone. If I get a chance I’ll take a closer look from the water. Hopefully the plan is new sails and a refit and we’ll get to see her blazing past us soon!

7 minutes ago, socalrider said:

Thanks tri. 33kts - Jesus; what a shame to have it sitting there idle. Would love to know what the new owner’s plans are, or if they’ve fallen through. 

From my memory, it showed up at the mooring with a sagging furled headsail and a carelessly flaked uncovered main, and sat there like that for several months. A few months ago I noticed the sails were gone. If I get a chance I’ll take a closer look from the water. Hopefully the plan is new sails and a refit and we’ll get to see her blazing past us soon!

9Another down side was she could be quite wet,  but when you get to the bar quickly you have time to dry off

If l had the time and money to buy her again l would as with a few modern improvements she will still be at tge pointy end of the fleet.

Carbon mast and boom

New sails

Bring the outboard steering position into half way on the rear beam

Diesel inboard motor.

Thats about it

The last thing l heard from the owners was they were planning on some changes but have not heard from them for s good 18 months or so

Was in SF Bay, in Richmond, for a while. Docked near my old boat, I always wanted to check it out, but never saw anyone on the boat and never saw it sail. When it went up for sale I was tempted, but the timing was wrong. If it comes back on the market...

I did some work on her in Friday Harbor.  Beautiful design that reeked of speed potential... epoxy kevlar laminate over strip foam construction.  But on the heavy side of things with bog in some places over 3/8" thick.  Would be great to see her fixed up and sailed to her potential.

On 6/4/2018 at 9:17 AM, samc99us said:

Future MOB, what was the sale price? If you prefer to discuss privately shoot me a PM.

From memory (which is suspect at best), I think it was around $100K? I recall thinking that it was priced a little more than a good condition F31, but I could very well be mistaken. I think it was listed with Helms?

I have no clue what it actually sold for, just remember looking at the listing and thinking about how I could convince my wife that it would be the right boat for us :)

2 minutes ago, Future MOB said:

From memory (which is suspect at best), I think it was around $100K? I recall thinking that it was priced a little more than a good condition F31, but I could very well be mistaken. I think it was listed with Helms?

I have no clue what it actually sold for, just remember looking at the listing and thinking about how I could convince my wife that it would be the right boat for us :)

If you have a wife or life-partner that isn't into masochism, that's the wrong boat....

1 minute ago, Raz'r said:

If you have a wife or life-partner that isn't into masochism, that's the wrong boat....

Shit. I'll keep the wife and look for a more pedestrian boat I guess.

My future wife only likes to sail fast. Really fast. This is the right boat for her, she just might not quite know it yet.

• Like 1