Sign in to follow this  
Lamps

laser carbon tiller fix

Hi, what are folks favorite fixes for laser tillers when the bottom starts to wear due to contact with the rudder head.  

Somebody told me to epoxy some quarters on the underside.    

Other fkxes are chopping up old credit cards and taping them on the bottom.  

these seem hokey to me, what's a proper solution? 

Lamps

A bit of Stainless plate, the exact width of the inside of the rudder head , screwed or glued to the underside of the tiller at at the most foreward bearing point should solve the problem, make sure that the top of the cheeks of the stock  aren’t tapered or rounded due to wear or corrosion fron contact with the carbon. You might have to partially recess the ss plate in the underside of the tiller, make sure you are not sanding into laminate, should only be epoxy fairing added to the tiller to get a snug fit in the stock

I can’t figure out what is wearing or why. My ACME tiller is 25 years old. It fits tightly inside the rudder head and I have to whack it with something to get it loose

Lots of use....the tiller is probably on its tenth rudder Head 

Never had that exact tiller wear but do see wear on the gudgeons which cause the entire rudder / tiller assembly to become a few millimeters lower resulting in bottom of tiller rubbing on the traveler cleat. Easy solution to that is replace (or flip) the gudgeons.

Gudgeons are fine, I am wise to that problem.   The wear is in a line on the underside on each edge of the tiller when it rests on the cheek plates on the inside.  

I am supposing it is not auto correcting simply by sliding further back. 

As I see it, guessing, the wear happened because you remove it from the head and reinsert it regularly and each time it gets a bit of abuse...

my guess is you would get a season out of a decent temporary fix.

if the temporary fix is simple to accomplish... less than half an hour... the annoyance factor would be “so What” level 

therefore 

my fix

clean the surfaces where it is worn

using West System epoxy 

lay in strings of fibers until the grooves are slightly more than filled

sand the repair back down to square 

use it until the repair wears out 

fix it again 

16 hours ago, Connor.kainalu said:

I squeegied a bit of high density fairing compound around and sanded it down

Great solution!!

On 6/8/2018 at 6:03 AM, Gouvernail said:

Great solution!!

Hi, what product are you referring to?

ie what's the name of the 'high density fairing compound'?

4 hours ago, Lamps said:

Hi, what product are you referring to?

ie what's the name of the 'high density fairing compound'?

It's a West System product. It's either 404 or 406 (maybe something else) but it's labeled as 'high density filler' and it's basically a white powder that you mix with epoxy to thicken it.  On my tiller extension, the part that made contact with the rudder head was made of the same stuff as the standard (not GRP) foils, and it wore down fairly easily. The high density filler is tough enough that I can't see it being a problem again until the tiller is dead for some other reason 

On 6/15/2018 at 11:52 PM, Connor.kainalu said:

It's a West System product. It's either 404 or 406 (maybe something else) but it's labeled as 'high density filler' and it's basically a white powder that you mix with epoxy to thicken it.  On my tiller extension, the part that made contact with the rudder head was made of the same stuff as the standard (not GRP) foils, and it wore down fairly easily. The high density filler is tough enough that I can't see it being a problem again until the tiller is dead for some other reason 

So I did this and it worked out great.   Will see about durability but it was a beotch to sand so I’m optimistic.   Thanks to all for the advice, that’s why I really dig this forum.  

• Like 1