froggy

moth mach2.0 upgrade possibilities

Hi guys,

I 'm switching from a bladerider to a mach2.0 and i wonder what will be my upgrade options, without make modifications on the boat ?

- change horizontal foils

- change vertical

- is the new gearingsystem make a lot of difference ?

- does it take a lot of painfull composite work hours  to install the bowsprit, or is it "plug and play"

i don't get any answers form kasail office email, so maybe you can help me to have a global plan of my upgrades possibilities

Bowsprits can be found in glue on and bolt on options with either linkage or cam designs for bolt on. Bolt on use the existing gearing mounts, but gluing on the mach 2 kit is easy and comes with instructions.

As a minimum I would reccomend the longer rudder and the mach2 small main foil.

11 hours ago, punchy said:

Bowsprits can be found in glue on and bolt on options with either linkage or cam designs for bolt on. Bolt on use the existing gearing mounts, but gluing on the mach 2 kit is easy and comes with instructions.

As a minimum I would reccomend the longer rudder and the mach2 small main foil.

Aren't bowsprits meant to be removable?

1 hour ago, BR3232 said:

Aren't bowsprits meant to be removable?

yep. but some rewuire to glue on the hull a female pug for the bowdprit tube (if I remember correctly both the sailing bits one and mach2 one work like that).

what others said. performance wise, i think main advantage would be in getting a decent rudder (IMHO best are rocket or magutire). bowsprit helps a lot in very big waves, it does not make huge difference in normal condition.

What you buy depends a lot on what you want from your moth. Are you going to compete in big championships with some expecation of doing well? Are you  going to sail normally in light winds, big winds, big waves etc and how much do you weigh.

It also depends on just what kit you got when you purchased the boat. Even at the 2.0 stage there were 2 main foil options, 2 rudder foil options, 2 mast options and several sail options, and that is without any likely upgrades carried out by previous owners.

The basic original M2.0 with original kit will not be competitive in a big regatta, but you will get some good racing in the middle of the B fleet if you sail it well. It will handle waves reasonably well as the original main foils are still commonly used on rough days. The original rudder foils were big by today's standards, and the rudder vertical can be a bit short depending on the way the boat is trimmed downwind.

An old Mach2 will not gain much value no matter what you spend on it. So its poor economics to buy a lot of new upgrades, you will never get your money back when you sell it. What can be good value is buying gear from people with newer boats who are upgrading to the latest kit. Their discarded gear is quite likely much better than yours and much cheaper than the very latest. Follow MothMart and the Moth Buy and Sell facebook group. And get in touch with some reasonably close mothies and ask about slightly out of date updates.  They will also help you choose what options best suit your needs with respect to ambitions, venue, ability and weight.

thanks a lot for your feedback.

it confirm what i thought, and it's very clear now

6 hours ago, Phil S said:

What you buy depends a lot on what you want from your moth. Are you going to compete in big championships with some expecation of doing well? Are you  going to sail normally in light winds, big winds, big waves etc and how much do you weigh.

Yes you are right, to be more specific on my programm, i can say that i am 40 years old, 72Kg, i'm sailing a Bladerider ( FX) since 4 years, mainly on lake.
I now how to sail/foil,  the boat, but i'm not really able to race .
I participated to small regatta and there is so much speed difference compared to  a rocket for example ( particulary upwind) that is only creating a lot of frustration.

and another problem with my actual boat, is that i need at least ~13-14kts if i want to foil upwind

So, my expectation with a new boat, would be , to  be able to race at least in the middle of the fleet on european events.

Would suggest that you haven't got your current boat setup properly if you cannot foil it upwind in 13-14 knots, especially when you are a slight 72 kg.

How frequently are you taking out your moth?

What sails & mast are you running?

How much vang are you cranking on when going upwind??

Are there any local fleets of Moths in your area where you could gain pointers and tips?

Woudl be worthwhile getting someone to take photos of you sailing upwind and posting these, they'll reveal alot to those in the know!

Bon chance,

Fish :)

Agree you have Bladerider setup problems. BR foils take off early especially with only 72kg crew. Upwind speed is about a flat sail with minimum twist. Bladeriders start to break foredecks when fitted with modern rigs and enough vang is used. 

A standard Mach2 will be a big step forward but you will still need to set it up properly so ketting some experienced moth sailor to help with either the BR or M2 is the best option. Go to the closest moth  regatta and spend time talking and showing what you have while accepting advice and maybe buying some used gear for upgrades.

In fact, in light wind I am foiling, but very slowly, and I need to bear off to keep speed.

I have the original bladerider rig.

It"s hard to flatten the sail whatever the vang tension is.

In my sailing club we have 4 bladerider and one rocket.

There's a speed gap with x8 (upwind) and a huge gap with the rocket which also lift early.

The purpose of changing the boat is precisely to be able to join regatta and compete with boat of similar speed

Original BR sails are way too full and original mast way too soft. Sail shape is mostly in seams so bending mast does not flatten it. If the M2 has a reasonable rig you will notice a huge difference. Alternatively if you can get a stiffer mast and more modern sail for very little money the BR will go much better. Then you will break the boom or foredeck from vang loads, so better to upgrade whole boat.

yep what Phil said.

Do not discard the chance to get directly a used rocket; speed/price ratio is the best of all used boats market, and foils are second to none. Remember that cons of all rockets that basically everyboat is a bit different, so on a Rocket you lways expect to have to work a bit on the boat by yourself (to tune-upgrade, etc). Mach2 and Maguires are definitely more "standard" in their products.

So a mach 2.0 could be a decent choice if you like to buy stuff and easily fit-it.