Staffan

Worlds biggest doublehanded race?

Hi, I am interested in knowing what the biggest double handed race in the world is. I define it as race for boats raced shorthanded by two, and in number of paticipating boats. Hit me with what you’ve got!

Well, there is a double-handed race around New Zealand's North Island which is very, very tough. 

But that very toughness keeps the number of competitors down to roughly twenty-five or so. 

Hos many boats are there in three bridge race and where in the world is it held?

17 minutes ago, Staffan said:

Hos many boats are there in three bridge race and where in the world is it held?

Jibeset.net Yacht Racing Information
2018 - Three Bridge Fiasco

After registrations close, your Race Committee will make and post the final Fleet / Division assignments.
Your final assignment may vary from your requested Fleet / Division - check the posted Fleet Assignment for the race.

Download File Name: SSS_T006713782_ppl.txt

Registrations: 359

San Francisco Bay

2018 three bridge fiasco had 359 register— 28 were singlehanded. So 331 were doublehanded.  

With phrf ratings from -102(d class cat) to 273 (cal 20) it might be the largest rating spread out there as well.  

Race to The Straits starts in Seattle and gets about 115 Double-handers each year. Two day, two leg race. 

Pac Cup from SF to Hawaii has a double-handed class, several Moore 24s doing it

Most single handlers actually use both hands when they are well offshore and no one is looking.

14 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Most single handlers actually use both hands when they are well offshore and no one is looking.

You know the drill; pictures or...

Not the biggest, but big is the SSANZ Triple series every winter in NZ. A 50mile race, a 60mile race and a 100mile race, one month apart. Multiple different divisions and courses. Entries have been up to over 180 boats, but last year down to 130ish I believe.

I love how US centric this place is.

Try this one but is singlehanded I know but is it 134 miles and overnight.

www.silverrudder.com

Amature double handed races have become quite popular in Sweden

www.Seapilot2star.se ~300Nm with 2 pitstops, mostly offshore, max 125 participants allowed.

Kolfiberrodret ~20h race, mostly inside Stockholm archipelago, 146 participants redistricted this year. The race course is chosen just before first start. Typical race course. https://kartor.eniro.se/m/RAPqM

www.Bohusracet.se ~170Nm, mostly costal, 180 participants 2015.

The biggest of them all, the annual RTIR in the UK has a doublehanded class.  I read somewhere that there were about 135 entrants in a race of around 1500 boats.  So it might not technically be the biggest two handed race but it sure as hell is going to feel like it.