I want to buy a 13 to 20 ft racing dinghy. I’m looking for a 420, 470, FJ, FD, 505 or something similar that has a mast that can be stepped by one person. Any feedback will be much appreciated.

I just looked under the couch and behind the painting on the wall and couldn’t find one.

You got 17 minutes Eastern standard time to get rolling

Show us yo tits newb or fuck off!

The mast of any of the above can be steped by one person if you obey basic laws of physics. 

• Like 1

I've stepped my 505 mast solo, but on calm days.  Two people makes it a good bit easier. If I were to step it regularly by myself I'd rig a temporary forestay (jib or spin halyard) to help steady it  The trick would be to get the length of the "stay" right, so that it helps hold the mast up with some rake when you set the butt down in he cockpit.  Then when you lift the butt up to the deck to slip it down the partners the stay will make the mast more plumb (easier to handle) and not pull it too far forward . 

23 hours ago, 420Friendly said:

I want to buy a 13 to 20 ft racing dinghy. I’m looking for a 420, 470, FJ, FD, 505 or something similar that has a mast that can be stepped by one person. Any feedback will be much appreciated.

You can step a Star mast solo. I suggest you htfu. Otherwise go buy an optimist. It will fit your criteria.

RS Aero. Nice carbon fiber mast, super light, and a 13'2" length that just meets your criteria. 

1 hour ago, Plumber said:

You can step break a Star mast solo if you sneeze next to it. I suggest you htfu. Otherwise go buy an optimist. It will fit your criteria.

FIFY

After stepping the mast on my Lightning,  all other dinghy seemed easy. 

• Like 2

How long is a piece of string ?   Good Lord - the answer for our Original Quest could be one of dozens of boats,  hundreds in you're properly fortified.

You know,  because a an FJ and an FD are for the same constituents....and somebody that's ready for a 505 would be fine all day on a 420.

I settled on a 470. Picking it up tomorrow. The mast looks fairly lightweight. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

F41C214E-B03C-4295-AD7D-CD1485566250.jpeg

On 6/5/2018 at 1:58 AM, Great Red Shark said:

How long is a piece of string ?   Good Lord - the answer for our Original Quest could be one of dozens of boats,  hundreds in you're properly fortified.

You know,  because a an FJ and an FD are for the same constituents....and somebody that's ready for a 505 would be fine all day on a 420.

its important to remember that stepping the mast solo is the critical factor here. you should not get too concerned about the other trivial differences between the recommended boats.

19 hours ago, 420Friendly said:

I settled on a 470. Picking it up tomorrow. The mast looks fairly lightweight. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

F41C214E-B03C-4295-AD7D-CD1485566250.jpeg

It has dry storage for weed. 

He’s all set...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JohnMB said:

its important to remember that stepping the mast solo is the critical factor here. you should not get too concerned about the other trivial differences between the recommended boats.

Good one! ;)

JY 15.   The initial design brief called for a mast that one person could step.

If you're not racing the JY-14/Hunter 140 (same boat-make sure it was made in the CT not FL

factory), also designed so a 60+ year old woman could raise the mast solo.

The JY-15 has fleets in upstate NY.

What a load of nasty and stupid posts on this thread... If you're going to have to step a mast singlehanded ease of doing so is a sensible consideration. 

I know its too late for the OP but:

1. The most important one is light weight. Carbon masts are so much easier.

2. Another one is narrow beam about the mast step - If you have to hold that stick up in the air and stretch 5 feet across the boat it won't go well. The closer you can get to the mast step from the land the easier it will be.

3. Height is another good one. No height of the mast, height of the boat on the trailer or trolley. If you're reaching 3 feet across the boat and have to hold the thing 4 feet up in the air that''s a big deal. The lower the boat on trailer/trolley and the lower the highest point on the boat the better

4. Ease of getting the stick in position. If you have to juggle the end of the mast through a narrow gap and twist and turn it to get fittings through gaps then that's a mjor pain and best avoided.

5. And of course ease of making secure.  Mast gate arrangements are handy because you just stuff the mast in place and can do the shrouds up at your leisure, but if the price of that is major failings at point 4 then you'll curse it. Rigs with lower shrouds and T terminals are really good, because all you need to do is slot in the lowers and the rig is supported.

• Like 1

Why do you need a mast that can be stepped by one person when you are considering a two person racing dingy?  

12 hours ago, Strategery said:

I can't believe no one recommended the Snark. The Pepsi foam model's mast easily fit in a 70's grocery store. 

Playing with a snark mayflower at a friends place last weekend. its the perfect boat for his lake, super stable, easy to set up and no problem just throwing a kid in the boat and letting them figure it out.

Definitely one person set up :).

23 hours ago, HookEm said:

Why do you need a mast that can be stepped by one person when you are considering a two person racing dingy?  

I take it your crew shows up late regularly.    HookEm asks a good question.    Congrats on the 470 purchase.

Didn’t pull the trigger on the 470. Drove over 3 hours to find out the pics on CL were many years old. Boat was trashed. The stupid things some people do to boats. Unreal. Anyway, Looking at a FD on Thursday. This guy says the pics are current. Wish me luck. 

HookEm I like to go out on the wire single handed. I’ve sailed FDs a lot.  I learned to sail on a FD at 8 years old. That was 55 years ago. Since then I’ve owned a few FDs. I asked the question about stepping the mast of different boats because my last FD was a tough one. Maybe I’ll just dry dock this next boat and leave the mast up.

JimC thanks for having my back. 

Just so you guys know. I haven’t smoked weed since college. I just used that handle to see how open minded the members here are. I guess not so much. 

It’s funny, every sailor I’ve met through the years, been racing crews with, competitors with, has been a generally nice guy or lady. That must mean that you wise asses are just poser wannabes. That must suck. Lol