Sign in to follow this  
Editor

Doug Holthaus

doug-h.jpg

My dear friend and fellow yachtie Doug Holthaus passed away yesterday, after years of serious health issues. Perhaps the most colorful motherfucker I have ever known, Doug could hold court and spin yarns like a bitch. Professionally, Doug was a very successful lawyer and negotiator in many high-level, behind the scenes in various America's Cup deals. The guy could walk it like he talked it.

I've known Doug for 30 years, and always found him to be a total delight of a conversationalist, a true friend, and one of the funniest, most articulate and profane cocksuckers I've ever known. That man could tell some stories. Before you get your panties in a twist over my language here - I use those two "bad words", because they were his most used favorites. I have never met a more profane man than me until I met Doug. He could wax eloquently about any topic one cared to bring up, while liberally dropping in any number of "swear" words. 

That gift of a brutally smart mind, and yet profane as hell, was one of the characteristics I admired about Doug! But the one thing, the best thing that shines through like a beacon of light was what a sweet man and true friend he was. If I had a serious issue or question, I often went to Doug for counsel. Honest, genuine and understanding.

Doug and I shared a number of sailing things, most notably he was an early partner in Anarchy 1 when we bought our first Flying Tiger together. He might have raced on the boat 5 times, but he liked being a part of the madness. And speaking of madness - the good kind - Doug is the only son of a bitch I know to get kicked out of SDYC for a year for fighting and cursing!! A fucking badge of honor, if you ask me.

Rarely have I been this devastated by someone's passing, but Doug wasn't just someone. Doug Holthaus was the motherfucking man. God damn mate, I'm sorry I didn't get to say goodbye, but I suppose that we really never get to do that. But I got to know you and you were loved by most everyone, including me. Fair winds, my brother. - ed.

PS - I can't possibly know or share all the Doug H stories, so I have created a thread for those of you who wish to share. Please do.

• Like 3

@ Hot Rums Doug worked the Bow on VeLos

2016HotRumA0982.JPG

Ya he hung out on the back

But that brought up the Bow a little so ..............................................

I never just took PIX of Dougie But must have 1,000 with him prominently in them

A True Pleasure to Know him "as a Friend" beginning in 1992

He was Bigger than the World around him

Badder Too

& Profane 

Image result for sharks

State bar disciplines seven local lawyers

Car-crashing, drug-selling, fee-related malfeasance, etc.

Douglas Dale Holthaus got a public reproval. He was twice convicted of driving under the influence; one of the incidents caused damage to two vehicles.

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2016/jun/09/ticker-state-bar-disciplines-seven-local-lawyers/#

Kettenburg Boat Works and Owners Association

CF Koehler, of the Koehler Kraft Boat Yard in San Diego, recently completed restoration and launched PC hull # 40 owned by Doug Holthaus.Doug, a SDYC member and avid yachtsman, waited over 3 long years for the project to be completed, but the wait is now worth it! 

Read Less
Kettenburg Boat Works and Owners Association

By now you all know that Celeste, (Doug Holthaus's # 40) is back at the Club and sailing!

2 hours ago, Mid said:

State bar disciplines seven local lawyers

Car-crashing, drug-selling, fee-related malfeasance, etc.

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2016/jun/09/ticker-state-bar-disciplines-seven-local-lawyers/#

Ya so its posted in Sailing Anarchy

A Sailors Sailor 

and this is a Glass Hause

Very disappointed to hear this about Doug, just heard it about 1/2 hr. ago.  Didn't know Dougie well, but well enough to have heard some of his stories and share a few drinks with him in the sun on the deck at SDYC.  A few visits to his house for some epic parties as well.  He certainly will be missed and was one of the 'Good Guy' characters at SDYC.  Great fun memories.  Sail on Dougie!

• Like 1

I had the absolute pleasure of meeting this wonderful human being when we chartered a powerboat from him during the etchells world championships in 2011,he was as the editor described and treated me like a son for the time i was there what an absolute fucking champion as we would say in australia RIP DOUG YOU LEGEND

• Like 1

Since our move out of SD 13 years ago, when we would go back for a visit he always was one of the first to recognize us and have a drink and tell us a good story.

Sail on Doug. 

• Like 2

Great Guy. He will be missed. the very best maritime attorney. Although, the one time i asked him for some legal advice, he said "plead guilty" It will be cheaper.He was right.

Sail on counselor, 

• Like 1

Fins the Left Fins to the Right

Doug missed a Kick Ass Party

Shit was Talked & the Drinks did Flow

"They" were there

Pix to Follow

Image may contain: one or more people