Sign in to follow this  
Queenofcorona

Older FJ sailboat - need replacement for aluminum centerboard

My husband has sailed many boats over the years and thought it time for our son to learn on a smaller (easy) boat.  We picked up a older but in good shape FJ (13.22).  The aluminum centerboard was not correctly secured and, well, is gone.  We are looking to find someone that may have a replacement centerboard that we could purchase for this boat (the fiberglass versions available for the newer FJs won't fit because the slot is too thin).  In the end, if we can't find a replacement, we will work with a metal shop to cut a custom replacement, but thought we would at least try to find an existing one first (searching online has not been all too successful).

Thanks

Don't go to a metal shop.  Find someone with a bandsaw (or even better, a heavy duty hydraulic sheer) and an angle grinder.  Get your metal from a local metal retailer like Alro Metals or whomever your local option might be.

Unfortunately the used boat market prices older FJ's around $500 - $600, and I bet you spend a good portion of that price if you go to a metal shop and have it done professionally.

I own 3 of the beasts myself and the kids love them.

some scrap buyers will sell alloy plate

or find someone scraping/junking a f/g power boat and cut a flat bit off

a f/g part should work fine