Sign in to follow this  
B.J. Porter

Off on a four month trip...coming back empty.

Yeah, I cruise full time so technically I'm always travelling. So this is a 4 months of...I don't know what...not being at home. We're leaving "home" on a mooring in Australia to head to Europe for my son's graduation and some travel, then to the states for a couple of months before coming back to the boat. 

So it's four months out of a suitcase...

We return to the boat in late Sep/Early Oct as empty nesters.

So you got an Anarchist to keep an eye on the boat?

Hard to believe he is graduating already.  Seems like just yesterday ...

BJ, can I borrow the boat while you're gone???  ;)

He needs the coffee so leave him alone. That in itself is a big enough cross to bare. 

34 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

I’d totally skip that ‘returning to the States’ part, me....

I concur with this sentiment!  Not much good happening here, under the current Admin.   Safe travels BJ, and keep us posted on your adventures!

4 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Yeah, I cruise full time so technically I'm always travelling. So this is a 4 months of...I don't know what...not being at home. We're leaving "home" on a mooring in Australia to head to Europe for my son's graduation and some travel, then to the states for a couple of months before coming back to the boat. 

If you get near Berlin, let me know.

5 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Be prepared for a lot of random blubbering from your wife. ;)

8 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Gonna be in Germany in July?  I'll buy you a beer.

12 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

If you get near Berlin, let me know.

8 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

Gonna be in Germany in July?  I'll buy you a beer.

Germany's not on the agenda this trip. The closest we get is Paris. 

15 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

I’d totally skip that ‘returning to the States’ part, me....

I'd hoped to not set foot in the country until that was sorted, bit thats not an option.

I've not been to the US since my grandfather's funeral in late 2015.

19 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I just got to Sydney and likely will be gone before you get back so - see you in Hobart if you make it that far. I've got 2 moorings with enough swing room for your boat, should have at least one of them serviced & the bottom gear beefed up in September (I didn't lay them so until I pull them and see what's there I don't trust them a lot).

FKT

10 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Paris, hah!  Sucks to be you doesn't it. 

Other than the traffic noise from the wide streets full of cars, Paris is one of my favorite cities in Europe.  Skip the Louvre and go to the Musée d'Orsay.  It's chock full of some of the most famous and beautiful impressionist art in the world.  Van Gogh, Renoir, Gaugin, etc.  It can get crowded, but not as bad as the Louvre where the tourist hordes are literally running through the gallery to get to the Mona Lisa. 

If you want an unforgettable dining experience and like seafood, this place is a little spendy but well worth it in my opinion.  We ate at the one on Beaumarchais about 5 years ago; drinks before dinner, an assortment of 24 oysters, a bottle of wine, dessert, an after dinner liqueur, and coffee was about $275.00 for 2 of us, the experience was priceless.  Of course I am a foodie.

From their website:

In the world of « Haute-Couture », aspects of refinement and bespoke quality are also key elements of le Bar à Huîtres. Your seafood platter can be as unique as you desire, all of our products are available in individual quantities, ready to be stitched into a unique masterpiece. A truly bespoke culinary experience masterfully orchestrated by le Bar à Huîtres, restaurant de Haute-Mer.

What’s on the menu will flirt with your taste buds: the largest selection of Grand Cru oysters in the capital, delicious lobsters, spiny lobsters, shellfish, crustaceans and wild fish, all prepared to perfection. A real pleasure.

Our Haute-Mer restaurants present the entire menu selection on iPad through a simple application that also gives details pertaining to the transparency and traceability of all of our products.

We went empty nest 2 years ago. I miss the kids, but the freedom is glorious. 

30 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Paris, hah!  Sucks to be you doesn't it. 

Other than the traffic noise from the wide streets full of cars, Paris is one of my favorite cities in Europe.  Skip the Louvre and go to the Musée d'Orsay.  It's chock full of some of the most famous and beautiful impressionist art in the world.  Van Gogh, Renoir, Gaugin, etc.  It can get crowded, but not as bad as the Louvre where the tourist hordes are literally running through the gallery to get to the Mona Lisa. 

If you want an unforgettable dining experience and like seafood, this place is a little spendy but well worth it in my opinion.  We ate at the one on Beaumarchais about 5 years ago; drinks before dinner, an assortment of 24 oysters, a bottle of wine, dessert, an after dinner liqueur, and coffee was about $275.00 for 2 of us, the experience was priceless.  Of course I am a foodie.

From their website:

In the world of « Haute-Couture », aspects of refinement and bespoke quality are also key elements of le Bar à Huîtres. Your seafood platter can be as unique as you desire, all of our products are available in individual quantities, ready to be stitched into a unique masterpiece. A truly bespoke culinary experience masterfully orchestrated by le Bar à Huîtres, restaurant de Haute-Mer.

What’s on the menu will flirt with your taste buds: the largest selection of Grand Cru oysters in the capital, delicious lobsters, spiny lobsters, shellfish, crustaceans and wild fish, all prepared to perfection. A real pleasure.

Our Haute-Mer restaurants present the entire menu selection on iPad through a simple application that also gives details pertaining to the transparency and traceability of all of our products.

Good stuff, thanks. I enjoyed the Musee Rodin morr that the Louvre too. I can only look at do many paintings of fat guys in frilly collars. Though the sculpture wing with the Venus de Milo was closed last time I was there. 

We've gor an airBnB in tbe 10th for a week. And a cottage in the Loire valley for another week. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Good stuff, thanks. I enjoyed the Musee Rodin morr that the Louvre too. I can only look at do many paintings of fat guys in frilly collars. Though the sculpture wing with the Venus de Milo was closed last time I was there. 

We've gor an airBnB in tbe 10th for a week. And a cottage in the Loire valley for another week. 

I don't know if you're a fan of the DaVinci code books - but, if you are, walking the Rose Line thru Paris and checking out the architecture and history in the cathedrals (especially Saint Sulpice), and enjoying a glass of wine in a bistro near each isn't a bad way to enjoy the city.   

If you have time while you're in the UK, a weekend trip to Edinburgh is a fun diversion. 

Congrats to your family BJ! Next big milestone is for Will to buy your wife and you drinks and dinner with his first paycheck.  Hope to see you in Hampton again some day.

Regards,

BTS

14 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

'd hoped to not set foot in the country until that was sorted, bit thats not an option.

And see, I don't get this mindset.  Its like the threat by the Baldwins to leave the country when GWB got elected.  What does your not coming back to the country do to change anything?  Your presence or absence, I hates to break it to you, make zero fucking difference to what's going on any more than my going back to the US or not makes any difference.

I choose to not go back to the US on most vacay's not because of the political climate - but because there is a lot of the world I want to see and I want to do it while its easy and convenient while I'm on this side of the world.  We are going to Egypt next week to the Red Sea.  Maldives in Aug.  PNG and Indonesia for our big Christmas / New Year's trip.  All Liveaboard diving.  The PNG trip is going to be awesome - 10 Day liveaboard doing Raja Ampat and then another week on Palau Lembeh doing muck diving.  Its going to be epic!

But the point is that I don't stay away from the US for political reasons.  That's so completely childish.  Like it would affect you one way or the other anyway.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

And see, I don't get this mindset.  Its like the threat by the Baldwins to leave the country when GWB got elected.  What does your not coming back to the country do to change anything?  Your presence or absence, I hates to break it to you, make zero fucking difference to what's going on any more than my going back to the US or not makes any difference.

I choose to not go back to the US on most vacay's not because of the political climate - but because there is a lot of the world I want to see and I want to do it while its easy and convenient while I'm on this side of the world.  We are going to Egypt next week to the Red Sea.  Maldives in Aug.  PNG and Indonesia for our big Christmas / New Year's trip.  All Liveaboard diving.  The PNG trip is going to be awesome - 10 Day liveaboard doing Raja Ampat and then another week on Palau Lembeh doing muck diving.  Its going to be epic!

But the point is that I don't stay away from the US for political reasons.  That's so completely childish.  Like it would affect you one way or the other anyway.  

I don't know about BJ but I stay out of the country because I don't like many things about it.  It has nothing to do with making any statement or difference, it has everything to do with my peace of mind.  If I am going to spend a lot of money traveling, I want to go somewhere that makes me happy.  Like Gran Canaria, one of my favorite vacation spots.  I came to the US to see my daughter and other family and friends.  Now that I have grand twins, I want to see them.  I have been in the US a little more than a month now and I go back to Poland, which I consider home, on 20 June.  I can't wait to go back.  The materialistic culture in the US makes me crazy.  I go to a large supermarket and the huge store with too many choices for everything freaks me out.  The people in my hometown area are very nice, very friendly and usually helpful.  But seeing the large amount of large people is disturbing to me'  I can't eat but half of the portions in most restaurants, it is just too much.  The streets around the large shopping mall are lined with restaurants, car dealers and shopping plazas for miles in either direction.  I just don't understand why people need all of that shit and it's just plain ugly.  I have not lived in the US for 22 years, the culture has passed me by.  I feel like a stranger in my own country.  I hate most of it.  It it weren't for my family, friends, Lake Erie, and good burgers, BBQ, and Tex Mex food, I doubt I would ever come back.  That's why I stay away.  Being away from people that voted for Trump is just an added bonus.

I live 50 miles from Berlin and practically in the center of Europe.   I can drive, fly, or take the train and see things that many people save for years just to see once in their life.  Life in Poland is simple, people don't have a lot of money and they find simple things to make themselves happy, walking in the forest and picking wild mushrooms, going to a small lake for a swim, etc.  They don't buy useless junk and stuff their faces with large amounts of food.  I can walk anywhere in my little town and I  go to a small grocery store to buy what food I need, and most other things I need.  I fill my gas tank on my car about once a month, if that. I live in a 400 sq ft apartment and I am very happy enjoying my stress free life.  Why should I move back to my homeland and be miserable?  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

I don't know about BJ but I stay out of the country because I don't like many things about it.  It has nothing to do with making any statement or difference, it has everything to do with my peace of mind.  If I am going to spend a lot of money traveling, I want to go somewhere that makes me happy.  Like Gran Canaria, one of my favorite vacation spots.  I came to the US to see my daughter and other family and friends.  Now that I have grand twins, I want to see them.  I have been in the US a little more than a month now and I go back to Poland, which I consider home, on 20 June.  I can't wait to go back.  The materialistic culture in the US makes me crazy.  I go to a large supermarket and the huge store with too many choices for everything freaks me out.  The people in my hometown area are very nice, very friendly and usually helpful.  But seeing the large amount of large people is disturbing to me'  I can't eat but half of the portions in most restaurants, it is just too much.  The streets around the large shopping mall are lined with restaurants, car dealers and shopping plazas for miles in either direction.  I just don't understand why people need all of that shit and it's just plain ugly.  I have not lived in the US for 22 years, the culture has passed me by.  I feel like a stranger in my own country.  I hate most of it.  It it weren't for my family, friends, Lake Erie, and good burgers, BBQ, and Tex Mex food, I doubt I would ever come back.  That's why I stay away.  Being away from people that voted for Trump is just an added bonus.

I live 50 miles from Berlin and practically in the center of Europe.   I can drive, fly, or take the train and see things that many people save for years just to see once in their life.  Life in Poland is simple, people don't have a lot of money and they find simple things to make themselves happy, walking in the forest and picking wild mushrooms, going to a small lake for a swim, etc.  They don't buy useless junk and stuff their faces with large amounts of food.  I can walk anywhere in my little town and I  go to a small grocery store to buy what food I need, and most other things I need.  I fill my gas tank on my car about once a month, if that. I live in a 400 sq ft apartment and I am very happy enjoying my stress free life.  Why should I move back to my homeland and be miserable?  

I respect your choice to live in Poland. And I get the fact that you can see parts of the world for pennies that would cost you dearly if you had to travel from the USA for each trip.

But the bolded part. You can live that life anywhere. Just because someone else is stuffing their face with junk doesn't mean you have to, you want to take hikes and pick mushrooms, you can do that here, you want to walk to the grocery or a farmers market... there are places in the US to do that. Why would a move back to the USA mean you would have to abandon the easy going lifestyle you enjoy? 

17 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Ah well, I'll hoist a beer for you anywho.

Geebers.  Anything BJ goes all PA.

That said, as from a waay back, if you ever get to the Northwest, the offer of a place, and a sail still stand.  We owe you from my one visit years ago.  

TOG

If you go to check on your property in FL. Be sure to give us a holler. We may not be clean, but we can be fun....:D

7 hours ago, chinabald said:

I respect your choice to live in Poland. And I get the fact that you can see parts of the world for pennies that would cost you dearly if you had to travel from the USA for each trip.

But the bolded part. You can live that life anywhere. Just because someone else is stuffing their face with junk doesn't mean you have to, you want to take hikes and pick mushrooms, you can do that here, you want to walk to the grocery or a farmers market... there are places in the US to do that. Why would a move back to the USA mean you would have to abandon the easy going lifestyle you enjoy? 

Yes, I could live a simple life in the US however that kind of life in Poland is the norm, not the exception.  Unless I lived in the middle of nowhere in the US and was virtually a hermit, I would still be surrounded by a culture that is nothing like the one I grew up with and I don't want to be a hermit.  In addition, I have no credit rating in the US.  I gave up my US credit cards years ago, I really had no need for them and everything in the US nowadays, from the obvious such as buying a car, to the necessary such as getting an apartment, getting utilities, etc. is very difficult to do without some kind of credit history.  By the time I built up my credit I will be dead.  I can live well in Poland on my VA disability pay and Social Security, in the US I could live OK, but that's about it.  I am an alien in Europe as well but being the only American in my little town gives me a certain cachet that opens a lot of doors, people are generally very nice to me.  So in the US, I am just another old man whereas in Poland and the German city across the river, I am unique and I don't have many problems doing whatever I need to do.  I know enough Polish to get by, but not enough to discuss politics or that kind of thing.  To me, I have the best of all possible worlds and I enjoy my life every day.  Life in the US just aggravates the shit out of me, I am more than ready to return to Poland after being here for 5 weeks.  If I had left the US for just 5 years or so and returned, I could have adapted.  After being gone 22 years, it is just too much of an adjustment to figure everything out.  Even with the internet, I am just too out of touch with just about everything.  In my hometown where I lived for the first 30 years of my life, there have been radical changes, most of them for the worse, not better.  The population of my hometown has shrunk from almost 140,000 when I was young to about 90,000 now.  Empty factories line the streets, many nice neighborhoods have gone to seed, etc.  If I moved somewhere else, I would mainly only meet other old people, and quite frankly, I don't like old people, even though I am pretty much one at almost 63 years of age.  The main reason to return would be my family.  I have a sister I am very close to but she will be 70 this year, so she is getting up there in age as well.  My daughter will probably leave the area at some point and with my health, my grand children won't really get to know me even if I do return.  I don't want to burden my daughter to take care of me in my declining health, she has 2 small children to deal with already.  So there is just no compelling reason for me to leave somewhere that I truly enjoy living, and have to start again from scratch.  And I would miss all my young, Polish, lady friends!  I would just be another dirty old man in the US, instead of the handsome, charming, interesting, experienced man that I am in Poland.  I don't have many years left, I doubt that I will see 70, I want to make the most of them.  I have enough money to hire a rotating crew of young beauties to feed and bathe me and change my Depends as needed.  And if I grab a nice ass now and then in the process, well, I have an excuse.  There are worse ways to go.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Check your assumptions. It's not a statement. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2018 at 2:20 AM, Shootist Jeff said:

And see, I don't get this mindset.  Its like the threat by the Baldwins to leave the country when GWB got elected.  What does your not coming back to the country do to change anything? 

I reported here, meeting an American couple two months ago while I was traveling.  They were planning to exit the USA, ASAP to live in NZ.  They both were professionals in a field in demand in other countries and they had cash in the bank.  Would be a shoe-in for immigration.

They were not trying to change America, they just wanted out.

On 6/5/2018 at 11:02 PM, Touch of Gray said:

Geebers.  Anything BJ goes all PA.

And you are surprised as to why?

anyway, 2 expats in the thread extolling tbe virtue of the USA. A place that allowed them to build wealth and provide a retirement in comfort and luxury elsewhere.  I like it. Try living in the USA on your Polish Army disability : and Social Security  

On 6/7/2018 at 7:22 AM, random said:

I reported here, meeting an American couple two months ago while I was traveling.  They were planning to exit the USA, ASAP to live in NZ.  They both were professionals in a field in demand in other countries and they had cash in the bank.  Would be a shoe-in for immigration.

They were not trying to change America, they just wanted out.

A conclusive survey of two people. 

1 hour ago, TonyFromSheepsheadBay said:

And you are surprised as to why?

anyway, 2 expats in the thread extolling tbe virtue of the USA. A place that allowed them to build wealth and provide a retirement in comfort and luxury elsewhere.  I like it. Try living in the USA on your Polish Army disability : and Social Security  

I am not sure what you are trying to say there Tony.  You mention building wealth in one sentence, and living on VA (not Polish) disability and SS in another.   Yes, I am moderately well to do in my part of Poland where the average annual income is around $12,000 per year, net,  but I could live OK on my money in the US, not in luxury by any means, but not under a bridge or eating dog food either.  I am not sure about any of your points.  I don't live in the US because I really don't like the culture, it has nothing to do with my wealth or lack of it.  Last I knew people are free to do as they please, if you like the US stay there, if you don't, leave.  I don't know why there is even a discussion about it, really.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I think Tony got some sand or a sheepshead in his shorts LB.

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

Where did I draw conclusions?  I just reported the story.

But they did wince when the Trump subject came up and confessed they said they were profoundly embarrassed about it.  Really nice people from Wisconsin.   She had recently recovered from a serious health problem and decided that the extreme political climate and stupidity of her fellow citizens was stressing her on a daily basis and that was not going to help her stay well.  They had to get out.

I was looking forward to meeting a couple of Trump voters as that would have been more interesting for at least 60 seconds.  I guess Trump voters don't travel or even have passports. 

Oh that's right some do, like Jeffy.

As I recall Jeff has made it very clear he didn't vote for the cunt. But hey don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. I met two African Americans last week. Using your metric , all Americans must be of African decent.

7 hours ago, LB 15 said:

As I recall Jeff has made it very clear he didn't vote for the cunt. But hey don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. I met two African Americans last week. Using your metric , all Americans must be of African decent.

Millions of other voters claimed the same thing, but when the votes were counted the lies were exposed.  Jeffy's continual apologist stance for Trump  makes me suspect that Jeffy may be telling porkies.

Voters’ embarrassment and fear of social stigma messed with pollsters’ predictions

Back to the polling situation. The norm in one voter’s social milieu may be voting for Clinton. A vote for Trump would defy that social norm. As such, even if the polling is confidential and private, a citizen may not want to disclose to a pollster his intention to vote for Trump. He’d rather say he’s “undecided” and spare himself the discomfort of violating a social norm. If the poll is done over the phone, a less anonymous venue than an online survey, for instance, then this embarrassment is more acute and leads to a greater likelihood of a Trump-leaning respondent claiming she’s undecided or even that she’ll vote for Clinton. Intending to vote for Trump becomes literally unspeakable.

Trump appealed to different people for a variety of reasons, which would influence how secretive they might be about their candidate preference. In rural America, people may have voted for him because of bad economic circumstances or a lack of confidence in the way different institutions currently function. Nothing too embarrassing behind that. Middle America proudly supported Trump.

7 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Using your metric , all Americans must be of African decent.

What metric, I told a story about two Americans?   Link me where I said that applied to all Americans.

Mate you are seriously losing it.  That's lame.

Please don't get what intended as a purely social thread moved to PA. I created a thread there to continue the poo flinging where it belongs.

Thanks.

No worries.

How's England?

2 hours ago, random said:

No worries.

How's England?

Quite nice, Southampton has a lot here. We've been more focused on getting Will's stuff packed up to ship stateside to see all that much. Time is short and there is much to do.

Although I imagine London is pricier than Southampton, it seems a fair bit cheaper here than in Sydney/Brisbane surrounds which I did not expect.

We're taking a ferry to France on Tuesday AM, where we'll be until the 30th when we return by train to meet my parents in London.

On 6/5/2018 at 7:51 AM, Ed Lada said:

If you want an unforgettable dining experience and like seafood, this place is a little spendy but well worth it in my opinion. 

Yum...

Ed, how hard was it to pick up residency? I'm thinking Belize is in my future (snowbird between there and the PNW). I haven't started any research so just curious.

I worked with a Polish couple - Joseph and Jolanta - that escaped during the Soviet era through some London connection. I forget the whole story but it was some sort of underground railroad. Anyhow, they were fantastic people. "At this moment, it's what it is." He'd always say that. His head was shaped like a cinder block.

48 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

Yum...

Ed, how hard was it to pick up residency? I'm thinking Belize is in my future (snowbird between there and the PNW). I haven't started any research so just curious.

A lot of our guys retired to Costa Rica both full and part time. One or two to Belize. Mrs PB and I have visited Costa Rica and some old buddies a few times and even shopped some property down there (on the Pacific side near Samara) considering a part time residence. Then Mrs PB said "you know, if we put that money into living here.....here is where we'll be. With the amount of money we'd spend on that place every year we can travel.......a lot........and be lots of places." 

38 minutes ago, Point Break said:

A lot of our guys retired to Costa Rica both full and part time. One or two to Belize. Mrs PB and I have visited Costa Rica and some old buddies a few times and even shopped some property down there (on the Pacific side near Samara) considering a part time residence. Then Mrs PB said "you know, if we put that money into living here.....here is where we'll be. With the amount of money we'd spend on that place every year we can travel.......a lot........and be lots of places." 

Yeah but you already live in a sweet place. I don't want to spend the rest of my life surrounded by corn and cow shit. If I had an ocean and an avocado tree, I wouldn't move either.

If I sell the farm, finances become an afterthought. I'll still work because I'm so shallow that it's where I derive most of my pride from.

2 hours ago, austin1972 said:

Yeah but you already live in a sweet place. I don't want to spend the rest of my life surrounded by corn and cow shit. If I had an ocean and an avocado tree, I wouldn't move either.

If I sell the farm, finances become an afterthought. I'll still work because I'm so shallow that it's where I derive most of my pride from.

I'm coming to the rapid conclusion that work is way overrated.  It was fun for a while (25 years), but its getting to the point where I have no desire to do the corporate grind anymore and I want to just get on a boat and go sail clockwise like BJ has.  I know there's a lot more involved to that cruising lifestyle, but its becoming more tempting everyday.  I'm not sold on it yet and am still in the mindset of just calling it quits and coming back the US and living near a beach somewhere or as PB said doing the C. America thing like CR or Belize.  But I would like to just sell everything at this point and either just travel full time or do the cruising thing and do the traveling thing at 7 kts instead of at 500kts.  I enjoy what I'm doing now ~75% of the time and I live in a great place and earning decent coin to sock away - but I can't see me doing this more than another 5 years max before I pull the plug.  I just have zero ambitions to be a corporate exec any higher than I am now.  VP?  Meh, not interested in the headache for some shallow status.  

• Like 1

Fuck Pride!  You gotta fight through that shit.  :D

Because in a year from now when you're kicking it in the Caribbean, you're going to say to yourself "Jeff was right".  

3 hours ago, austin1972 said:

Funny you should have that view. I've often seen your posts and thought "how nice to have all that elbow room and quiet on one's property." Maybe its a grass is always greener thing. I'm contemplating a move to Idaho/Wyoming/Colorado/Montana and maintain my boat here in Cali for "extended visits" to get my ocean fix and have a quiet rural semi isolated retreat for belly button contemplation.

Funny how life is.............

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shootist Jeff said:

I'm coming to the rapid conclusion that work is way overrated.  It was fun for a while (25 years), but its getting to the point where I have no desire to do the corporate grind anymore and I want to just get on a boat and go sail clockwise like BJ has. 

I've been at it for 24 years. I have been a VP in corporate and I can tell you it sucks. Well, at least where I was it sucked. It felt....nefarious. I hate corporate. About 7 years ago, I joined a startup as the 1st employee. I never worked so hard in my life for so little money but it was fun. Now, we're pushing towards 500 employees and very corporate. I can't deal with it. Gone are the days of working out of basements, bars and coffee shops. Now, I'm a part of the Leadership Exec team. I just threw up a little.

I love to work. I like the sense of accomplishment. I'll never stop working. Everyone has their vice, I guess. Just not corporate.

PB, country life has its perks. I just ran some errands and they should have taken a half hour. I left right after my last post and just got back. You run into friends and neighbors everywhere and end up parking in the middle of the road, flipping down tailgates and chatting for 15 or 20 minutes. That's the best thing about country living. I think that's why people have a hard time leaving it. That and the pace of things. But everywhere you go, you're 100% guaranteed to run into a friend/neighbor. I just got roped into a graduation party. What do you get a kid going to college these days? My imagination ends at Amazon gift cards and ramen noodles.

7 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

IPB, country life has its perks. I just ran some errands and they should have taken a half hour. I left right after my last post and just got back. You run into friends and neighbors everywhere and end up parking in the middle of the road, flipping down tailgates and chatting for 15 or 20 minutes. That's the best thing about country living. I think that's why people have a hard time leaving it. That and the pace of things. But everywhere you go, you're 100% guaranteed to run into a friend/neighbor. I just got roped into a graduation party. What do you get a kid going to college these days? My imagination ends at Amazon gift cards and ramen noodles.

I am pretty sure I would enjoy that pace of life. I've had a few mountains to climb recently and the thought of some change of pace appeals to me. Plus, since I'm retired, errands that take all day because of the interruptions you describe seem..............nice.

My prideful days are happily long gone. I've proven myself enough times that I'm happy to be over that.

1 minute ago, Point Break said:

I am pretty sure I would enjoy that pace of life. I've had a few mountains to climb recently and the thought of some change of pace appeals to me. Plus, since I'm retired, errands that take all day because of the interruptions you describe seem..............nice.

My prideful days are happily long gone. 

Since everyone is remote, chewing the fat is pretty much the best entertainment. That or kayaking down the river with some friends/going for a hike. The river was so slow last weekend, my friend was bitching that she had to paddle. "How the hell am I supposed to drink and tell lies when I have to do this bullshit!?!?!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, austin1972 said:

PB, country life has its perks. I just ran some errands and they should have taken a half hour. I left right after my last post and just got back. You run into friends and neighbors everywhere and end up parking in the middle of the road, flipping down tailgates and chatting for 15 or 20 minutes. That's the best thing about country living. I think that's why people have a hard time leaving it. That and the pace of things. But everywhere you go, you're 100% guaranteed to run into a friend/neighbor. I just got roped into a graduation party. What do you get a kid going to college these days? My imagination ends at Amazon gift cards and ramen noodles.

Sounds like the liveaboard dock. Chewing the fat with the neighbors, Thursday night barbeques, impromptu sundowners...Good times. Also, boats are acoustically transparent so it's like a very, very small town in that everyone knows your business, for better or worse.

9 hours ago, austin1972 said:

Yum...

I worked with a Polish couple - Joseph and Jolanta - that escaped during the Soviet era through some London connection. I forget the whole story but it was some sort of underground railroad. Anyhow, they were fantastic people. "At this moment, it's what it is." He'd always say that. His head was shaped like a cinder block.

It's pretty easy to stay here, they basically just want to know if you have some means of financial support.  Knowing some Polish is handy, outside of the bigger cities, you may or may not find anyone that speaks Polish.  It might not be as nice as Belize, but the Polish women are fine and Polish people in general are quite nice, as evidenced by your friends..  C'mon over, I'll be happy to make introductions!

My estranged wife almost defected in the '80s, she had permission to cross into West Berlin, but she decided to return to Poland after all.  The Polish authorities that interviewed her basically wanted her to report back to them about what she saw in the west.

So tomorrow AM we board a ferry to Caen France, where we'll rent a car and spend a few days around the Normandy and meandering down towards the Loire Valley where we have a house rented for a week in a little village called Francueil. We've got nights planned in Caen, Bayeux, a night on a farm on Billé, then Angers before we pull into the cottage on Saturday.

After a week in the Loire, we head to Paris for a week before returning to London.

Any must-see spots and hints are always appreciated.

So tomorrow AM we board a ferry to Caen France, where we'll rent a car and spend a few days around the Normandy and meandering down towards the Loire Valley where we have a house rented for a week in a little village called Francueil. We've got nights planned in Caen, Bayeux, a night on a farm on Billé, then Angers before we pull into the cottage on Saturday.

After a week in the Loire, we head to Paris for a week before returning to London.

I have no advice to offer for France - but, pics would be great! 

I have no first hand experience to offer (unless you desire to travel north from London and hike across UK, then I have lots of advice - but I sense it isn't that kind of trip! :lol:)

However I personally would be interested in hearing any highlights from your trip, meaning things that were just excellent and those that should be avoided at all costs. I'm planning on doing the Camino de Santiago next fall and will likely hook an extended visit onto the back end. When visiting, its my habit to travel less and stay longer.

Enjoy your trip.

BJ,

If spending a day or so around Normandy, then a walk around the gun emplacements overlooking Omaha Beach followed by a descent to the beach and a climb back up is worth doing.  Follow up with a walk through the "American Cemetery".  

Solemn, through provoking.  Despite the current political divide, a visit to the place where the Allied troops faced the certainty of massive losses in returning to continental Europe is worth doing.  We have far, far more in common with our allies than differences.  

42 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

BJ,

If spending a day or so around Normandy, then a walk around the gun emplacements overlooking Omaha Beach followed by a descent to the beach and a climb back up is worth doing.  Follow up with a walk through the "American Cemetery".  

Solemn, through provoking.  Despite the current political divide, a visit to the place where the Allied troops faced the certainty of massive losses in returning to continental Europe is worth doing.  We have far, far more in common with our allies than differences.  

Omaha Beach is in the plans.

55 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I'm planning on doing the Camino de Santiago next fall

OK                                :)

8 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I've got nothing. I've been to Nice, Monaco, Eze, Cannes and Paris but that's it. Super jealous though. Drink wine and sample fromage with some bread and olives. Take pics and chat with the French people (except every time I tried to speak French, I broke into Spanish). Thankfully, they speak 'Mericuh. Pretty humbling but whatever.

I find them to be awesome folks. I fell for Paris like a horny teen seeing a hot chick in a bikini. Go to Le Procope and ask to go upstairs for some history.

2 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

A week in Paris may not be enough.  Been a lot of years since I've been there so anything I'd offer is too dated.  

It's been over 20 years since I've been there too. Looking forward to it, it's the city I'd pick if you told me I HAD to live in a city somewhere in the world.

2 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

It's been over 20 years since I've been there too. Looking forward to it, it's the city I'd pick if you told me I HAD to live in a city somewhere in the world.

I have been to quite a few of the capitols of the Northern hemisphere, as well as many other cities, and I have to say that Paris is probably one of the most, if not the most, beautiful big cities I have ever been to.  My mother was born in Rome and I love it, you can't beat Manhattan and Tokyo for the energy, Amsterdam is wonderful, but Paris is, well, Paris.  I think it is the mansard roofs everywhere.  Or the food, the wine, the art, the elegance, the...

On 6/10/2018 at 1:48 PM, austin1972 said:

I've been at it for 24 years. I have been a VP in corporate and I can tell you it sucks. Well, at least where I was it sucked. It felt....nefarious. I hate corporate. About 7 years ago, I joined a startup as the 1st employee. I never worked so hard in my life for so little money but it was fun. Now, we're pushing towards 500 employees and very corporate. I can't deal with it. Gone are the days of working out of basements, bars and coffee shops. Now, I'm a part of the Leadership Exec team. I just threw up a little.

I love to work. I like the sense of accomplishment. I'll never stop working. Everyone has their vice, I guess. Just not corporate.

What do you get a kid going to college? Cash. It always fits and it's always the right color. $50-$100 depending on how close you are to the family. 

I got her a hover board. Her Mom turned to me and said, "If she breaks her arm and loses her volleyball scholarship, I'll kill you!"

What do you get a kid going to College? a MacBook and a decent backpack.

*edit* ok, maybe just a decent backpack, leave the MacBook to the family.

I got her a hover board. Her Mom turned to me and said, "If she breaks her arm and loses her volleyball scholarship, I'll kill you!"

She has a point...............;)

Man I could spend a week in Caen, never eat at the same place twice, and still have places I want to try.

We're here one day.

BTW the Brittany Ferry from Portsmouth to Ouistreham/Caen is delightful. It's a sixish hour trip, but its run by the the French so the food is quite good. And it's a comfortable boat with nice seating that feels more like a small cruise ship than a ferry. I'd happily do any of their longer crossings. We arrived happy, rested, and surprised how short the trip felt.

We also watched "The Longest Day" last night for background. Lots of screen time around Ouistreham and Caen.

BJ,

when in Bayeux, be sure to have a look at the famous tapestry, it is beyond impressive and great fun to boot - check out all the little 'doodles' in the margins.

By the way, what are Will's plans now he's done and graduated?

@B.J. Porter, still no yes or no on borrowing the boat?  ;)

On 6/14/2018 at 10:02 PM, Shootist Jeff said:

Non.

On 6/14/2018 at 1:02 PM, Shootist Jeff said:

14 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Non.

There's a surprise.........

On 6/5/2018 at 5:15 PM, Mrleft8 said:

If you go to check on your property in FL. Be sure to give us a holler. We may not be clean, but we can be fun....:D

I think a NE FL get together is in order. 

3 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I think a NE FL get together is in order. 

Ille be in KW fisrte weeke of Septe.

On 6/11/2018 at 8:47 PM, Innocent Bystander said:

A week in Paris may not be enough.  Been a lot of years since I've been there so anything I'd offer is too dated.  

A week in ANY of these places isn't enough.

Only perhaps Beaune/Burgundy, where we ended up spending two nights after a change in plans. The damage we did in one afternoon of wine tasting could not be sustained by my wallet or luggage over a week.

On 6/12/2018 at 9:22 PM, alphafb552 said:

BJ,

when in Bayeux, be sure to have a look at the famous tapestry, it is beyond impressive and great fun to boot - check out all the little 'doodles' in the margins.

By the way, what are Will's plans now he's done and graduated?

The tapestry was very cool and impressive.

He's headed to Bett's Boats in Anacortes, where he did his internship last summer.

So where are you now BJ ?

On 6/10/2018 at 5:32 AM, B.J. Porter said:

Quite nice, Southampton has a lot here. We've been more focused on getting Will's stuff packed up to ship stateside to see all that much. Time is short and there is much to do.

Although I imagine London is pricier than Southampton, it seems a fair bit cheaper here than in Sydney/Brisbane surrounds which I did not expect.

We're taking a ferry to France on Tuesday AM, where we'll be until the 30th when we return by train to meet my parents in London.

Flying over tomorrow night. Gonna do the Round Isle of Wight Race and then hit a concert at Hyde Park on Sunday. You still gonna be in London? We'll be there until Tuesday if ya wanna have dinner at  or near the RORC clubhouse sunday or monday

2 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

Flying over tomorrow night. Gonna do the Round Isle of Wight Race and then hit a concert at Hyde Park on Sunday. You still gonna be in London? We'll be there until Tuesday if ya wanna have dinner at  or near the RORC clubhouse sunday or monday

We leave London on Friday. My parents met us here so I can't really ditch them.

ok cool... we'll be in So'ton on Firday... safe travels

17 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

ok cool... we'll be in So'ton on Firday... safe travels

We'll be Hamble/Southampton for a week starting Friday. My ability to meet may be better there. SSU graduation is Tuesday.

heading to Lymington friday to hop on a boat over to Cowes for Round the island race.

next time mate!

Bump.

15 minutes ago, hobot said:

Bump.

At present we're in Charlottesville, VA until Sunday. Headed up to Winchester tomorrow to pick up Will's new-to-him car.

10 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

At present we're in Charlottesville, VA until Sunday. Headed up to Winchester tomorrow to pick up Will's new-to-him car.

I hope my town treats ya hospitably. 

Hope Will enjoys Betts.  They have some cool boats, including I think a new build Beiker 35.  Also the Davidson 73 Cassiopeia is sitting in the yard without mast or keel both of which were lost when she grounded hard in Alaska.  Have him give you an update.

Kathleen is hoping you guys call and stop by.  View is pretty nice here.

TOG

12 hours ago, Touch of Gray said:

Hope Will enjoys Betts.  They have some cool boats, including I think a new build Beiker 35.  Also the Davidson 73 Cassiopeia is sitting in the yard without mast or keel both of which were lost when she grounded hard in Alaska.  Have him give you an update.

TOG

We've been in touch...

17 hours ago, Touch of Gray said:

TOG

Is that what happened to her!?

I was in town working and saw her in the storage yard a bit roughed up looking, such an awesome boat when she showed up in Seattle.

6 hours ago, hobot said:

Is that what happened to her!?

I was in town working and saw her in the storage yard a bit roughed up looking, such an awesome boat when she showed up in Seattle.

Yes.  Guy I know picked her up for like $25k after insurance company expended agreed value and walked. Has new keel (bulb) and rig in town.  Bulb sitting next to her.  Lots of inside work to do I understand.  Exterior mostly just dirty from sitting around.

So we decided drive out to Anacortes with Will and his new car. Just left Yellowstone...it's been a lot of fun.