QBF

The 2018 Golden Globe Race

Recommended Posts

The 2018 Golden Globe Race starts on July 1st in Les Slables D'Olonne. The race is expected to take up to nine-months for the winner to cross the finish line.

The number of entrants for the Race is limited to 30. The 19 provisionally registered and paid-up entrants have a remarkable range of backgrounds and sailing experience. Professional sailors and adventurers dominate but they also include an engineer, foreign exchange trader, hydrographer, pilot, tailor and university lecturer.

All have considerable short – and single-handed sailing experience, one having logged five solo circumnavigations. 19 sailors from 13 countries: France (4), Britain (3), Australia (2), and one each from Estonia, Finland, Ireland, India, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Palestine, Russia and USA.

Their average age is 47. The youngest is 28; the oldest, 72. More are looking to announce their entries before the start from Les Sables d’Olonne on July 1, 2018, but they and their boats must first meet the strict entry conditions, which include 8,000 sailing miles and 2,000 miles solo.

677359983_GoldenGlobeRace2018.thumb.png.f96ce4bed9e2fb43fcd813374d7f0545.png

 

SKIPPERS
http://goldengloberace.com/skippers-provisional

Note: All skippers are listed as provisional until the race starts.


LIVE TRACKER
goldengloberace.com/livetracker

 

Website
http://goldengloberace.com

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/goldengloberace

Twitter
https://twitter.com/ggr2018official

YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/goldengloberace

SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/goldengloberace

Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/goldengloberace

And with a nod to safety and to Donald Crowhurst: SATELLITE TRACKING

 

There are two prizes: DISQUALIFIED OR NOT

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is "Old School Racing!"

Under the rules, water-markers are not allowed, nor are electronic devises such as iPads, etc. Printed books and magazines are allowed, but no movies, ebooks, etc

Sailors must also collect their own water, so if using freeze dried food, they need to calculate how much water they can possibly collect from rain showers or they could run out.

Here are some of two sailors food shopping for the race.

Canned Food (no water needed)

1511292758_CannedFood.thumb.jpg.94b9eb6186ce0ca26b68d6ea9f809bb7.jpg

Note: One commenter on Twitter or Facebook asked: Where's the SPAM?
 

Ready to Eat Meals from India, for Indian entry

Love it. Loathe it. But you can’t ignore ready to eat meals from India

199705739_ReadytoEatMeals.thumb.jpg.f05ff5ae37b54a244ad287ba554294c6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TBH the more I learn about this event the more I wonder what's the logic behind much of the "class rules. How's the Rustler & Biscay 36s considered appropriate? If someone showed up with a RM plywood/epoxy boat that uses manufacturing techniques from the 1950s they wouldn't let them do the event. 

The sailors are awesome - not sure about the organizers.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been waiting for a GG thread to start. It seems to have mostly flown under the media radar despite a high profile launch for The Mercy earlier this year.

Every time I explain "the rules" to sailors and non-sailors alike they all think it sounds plain nuts. Personally I'm looking forward to watching the madness unfold ... or is there still time to drag my old man's Hartley 16 out from the back shed and pop down to Countdown for some tinned beans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

I've been waiting for a GG thread to start. It seems to have mostly flown under the media radar despite a high profile launch for The Mercy earlier this year.

Every time I explain "the rules" to sailors and non-sailors alike they all think it sounds plain nuts. Personally I'm looking forward to watching the madness unfold ... or is there still time to drag my old man's Hartley 16 out from the back shed and pop down to Countdown for some tinned beans?

I think your old man's Hartley 16 might be a bit cramped (although probably robust enough) and tinned beans were never palatable, SB. ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to laugh at the dismay on the unsigned FP post

Quote

is it just us?

If a fleet of Le Mans Prototypes and a fleet of jalopies showed up to race at Le Mans, which group would you watch?  No brainer. But what if said fleet of jalopies said, “fuck you, we’re gonna race anyway”, would you give a fuck? And after days and weeks and months of the 4ksb’s getting widely separated, tons of mishaps, etc., all while still going 4 knots, tell me you wouldn’t resort to reading scuttfuck instead of tracking the jalopies?

So while we appreciate the effort and dedication of all involved, and hope somehow we are proven wrong, we’d say the odds are stacked against them in this one. Let’s just hope nobody dies…

Race starts this Wednesday. We would link to their site but it won’t load. Here’s FB. Photo thanks to Mark Sinclair.

The FB link goes to a fan page. 2nd comment from a year ago, from the organizer of the GGR  . .. 

Quote
Don McIntyre THIS page is NOT the official FB Page for the Race which is now GOLDEN GLOBE RACE...this is just a fan page..1f642.png:)..only
Manage
1y · Edited

Personally I think this will be interesting to follow. It's not about the jalopies, but the riders, and sounds like there will be some worthy of respect.

19 entrants, according to the http://goldengloberace.com site.

btw, the SA thread about the race has been going for a few years http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/169690-best-boat-for-the-golden-globe-2018-what-36ft-pre-1988-design-would-y/&

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, stief said:

So it has. I'm a pretty lazy anarchist and never scroll much more than about 10 threads down so have missed it before now :D

While I'm looking forward to following progress, I'm not sure how race management are going to keep us enthralled. As they're using film cameras and super 8 movies, we'll only get audio visual teasers every few months when a successful film drop is made. A bit different that the VOR with live drone images from the southern ocean!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sea Breeze 74 said:

So it has. I'm a pretty lazy anarchist and never scroll much more than about 10 threads down so have missed it before now :D

While I'm looking forward to following progress, I'm not sure how race management are going to keep us enthralled. As they're using film cameras and super 8 movies, we'll only get audio visual teasers every few months when a successful film drop is made. A bit different that the VOR with live drone images from the southern ocean!

Haha. If a simple port starboard incident can generate 400 posts, imagine the speculation one or two GGR rumours will give. 

(most anarchists would rather not check before posting, so perfectly acceptable to many. Anyway, the GGR thread isn't in the Ocean forum, and the search function doesn't seem to work on archived posts, so was surprised when Jack didn't point out the thread).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is gonna be Hot Rod meets VOR + the entire America's cup forum x 10. It will essentially be what would happen if the regular VOR thread posters had to spend the winter in an Antarctic base together. Despite their better judgement, people will get really into it and in the absence of any meaningful news, just 4ksbs making desperately slow tracker progress across a vast and empty ocean, general flame wars, unprecedented thread drift and anti-Randumb malarkey will rage for nine solid months.  All competent sailing and sailors, all that is impressive and elegant, from Francis Gabart and Leo from Tally Ho to Burling, Tuke and Martin Grael, will be forgotten in a desperate battle for sanity and survival. May God have mercy on our souls. And the race will be challenging too so I wish the racers all the best on their exciting adventure. 

 

Edit: Am important milestone will be reached if the thread drifts so far that we get on to the topic of foiling to the point where everyone gets in a big argument with Doug Lord.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand that they tried to get Thor Heyerdahl to enter Kon Tiki as the scratch boat for the Pacific leg, but unfortunately he was otherwise occupied.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Save that thought Left Shift, in a couple of months this thread is going to have to take a deep dive into Heyerdahl and whether we need to reexamine his sailing, anthropology and whether his ability to get laid a lot just annoyed other academics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got completely hooked to sailing when I read "The Long Way" by Bernard Moitessier, I must have read it about six times from 11yo to 20yo... I'll follow this race closely.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, QBF said:

This is "Old School Racing!"

Under the rules, water-markers are not allowed, nor are electronic devises such as iPads, etc. Printed books and magazines are allowed, but no movies, ebooks, etc

I think these and other rules are overkill. Race retro boats but allow the modern touches below.

If you take copies of Playboy onboard to pass the time, do the race rules dictate that all models come with a map of Tassie?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its just a trip to memory lane which reminds me how racing and communication has changed.
I will follow it very close, like once a month.

I see it as a challenge, not a race. The same interest I have in the Jester Challenges.
https://jesterchallenge.wordpress.com/2018/02/16/latest-rhode-island-jc-skippers-list/

Strange, no GGR competitor (IIRC) has done a Jester, while you would think its the same target group.

Questions why I will follow:
Could the English girl sets the slowest around the world for a woman solo ?
What will be the drop out rate, as much as modern races like the Vendee.
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Miffy said:

TBH the more I learn about this event the more I wonder what's the logic behind much of the "class rules. How's the Rustler & Biscay 36s considered appropriate? If someone showed up with a RM plywood/epoxy boat that uses manufacturing techniques from the 1950s they wouldn't let them do the event. 

The sailors are awesome - not sure about the organizers.

Unlike the original Golden Globe race in 1968, I suspect that the organizers of the GGR 2018 selected boats that have the ability to stand up to the conditions of the southern ocean. 

Attached is a PDF of the Notice of Race that has all the technical details.

Having said that, from your comment, I suspect that this race is just something that would not really interest you. The same goes for some other posters in this thread. There are a lot of other races out there that might interest you, such as Vendee Globe, Multi50, Open 40, Maxi boats, the Volvo Ocean Race, etc.

Personally, I followed the original Golden Globe Race in 1968. I've also followed the Vendee Globe since its inception. Maxi boats, Volvo boats, and America's Cup boats hold no interest for me at all. 

I really look forward to this race, and will follow it daily.

GGR-NOR-EN-0418.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LeoV said:

Its just a trip to memory lane which reminds me how racing and communication has changed.
I will follow it very close, like once a month

That will be a look in around every 4,000+ nm, so maybe every 6 weeks will do the trick Leo :-).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Miffy said:

TBH the more I learn about this event the more I wonder what's the logic behind much of the "class rules. How's the Rustler & Biscay 36s considered appropriate? If someone showed up with a RM plywood/epoxy boat that uses manufacturing techniques from the 1950s they wouldn't let them do the event. 

The sailors are awesome - not sure about the organizers.

Miff that rings a bell..I should have made that "epoxy/ply" enquiry of the RO over 2 1/2 years ago.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

That will be a look in around every 4,000+ nm, so maybe every 6 weeks will do the trick Leo :-).

Or maybe go really old school receive the positions weekly by fax only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LeoV said:

Or maybe go really old school receive the positions weekly by fax only.

to be truely old school, you should wade through your local newspaper for reports on the race, failing that buy yachting magazines to see where the boats were a few weeks earlier.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, QBF said:

Unlike the original Golden Globe race in 1968, I suspect that the organizers of the GGR 2018 selected boats that have the ability to stand up to the conditions of the southern ocean. 

Attached is a PDF of the Notice of Race that has all the technical details.

Having said that, from your comment, I suspect that this race is just something that would not really interest you. The same goes for some other posters in this thread. There are a lot of other races out there that might interest you, such as Vendee Globe, Multi50, Open 40, Maxi boats, the Volvo Ocean Race, etc.

Personally, I followed the original Golden Globe Race in 1968. I've also followed the Vendee Globe since its inception. Maxi boats, Volvo boats, and America's Cup boats hold no interest for me at all. 

I really look forward to this race, and will follow it daily.

GGR-NOR-EN-0418.pdf


Your suspicion would be wrong. I'm mighty interested in the sailors and what they will do - but having looked into the class rules, cannot shake the feeling that the organizers are cherry picking boats they want to see in the event instead of really adhering to the supposed stated rules re construction methods of the era. 

Like I said rather specifically above - they OKed entrants with boats built in the 80s, but won't OK entrants with a plywood epoxy construction using methods from the 50s because... they don't want to see certain boats blow everyone out of the water by the time the boats reach Canary Islands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Miff that rings a bell..I should have made that "epoxy/ply" enquiry of the RO over 2 1/2 years ago.

 

 

Would have been a hilarious result. 1950 methods of steam bending plywood & epoxy infused hull with glass deck. Beamy with hard chines consistent with limitations of plywood.

Sail away from the mainly British/American heavy boat influences from the get go and survive the southern ocean planing away with triple reefs while the "bluewater heavy" boats slam their rigs into pieces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IT is a "nice" idea to celebrate the 50th anniversary but could you imagine the outcry if a whole bunch of people decided to celebrate/commemorate or whatever word one wishes to use a significant anniversary of the first successful climbing of Everest using only the same gear as Hilary and Tensing. They would be calling them nuts or crazy or irresponsible for putting potential rescuers in danger.

If they are going to go the whole hog with this thing they should insist at 3 months radio silence at some point in the race like RKJ had to suffer and they should draw lots wo see which one will sail aimlessly in circles in the southern Atlantic.

Of course I am being facetious but if this race is supposed to be about sailing boats of the original type then where would the harm be in being able to read a Kindle or iPad (with Navionics disabled of course ha ha)

To set off around the world non stop without the navigational aids available today is irresponsible and for the organisers to  make it a rule that these aids cannot even be on board doubly so and I hope I am wrong but it would not surprise me if it is the last time we see some of these sailors, that or we will see a good number of them make for land well in advance of a complete circumnavigation and that would only be replicating the original event

I hope I am wrong, truly wrong but I have a bad feeling.

SS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

IT is a "nice" idea to celebrate the 50th anniversary but could you imagine the outcry if a whole bunch of people decided to celebrate/commemorate or whatever word one wishes to use a significant anniversary of the first successful climbing of Everest using only the same gear as Hilary and Tensing. They would be calling them nuts or crazy or irresponsible for putting potential rescuers in danger.

If they are going to go the whole hog with this thing they should insist at 3 months radio silence at some point in the race like RKJ had to suffer and they should draw lots wo see which one will sail aimlessly in circles in the southern Atlantic.

Of course I am being facetious but if this race is supposed to be about sailing boats of the original type then where would the harm be in being able to read a Kindle or iPad (with Navionics disabled of course ha ha)

To set off around the world non stop without the navigational aids available today is irresponsible and for the organisers to  make it a rule that these aids cannot even be on board doubly so and I hope I am wrong but it would not surprise me if it is the last time we see some of these sailors, that or we will see a good number of them make for land well in advance of a complete circumnavigation and that would only be replicating the original event

I hope I am wrong, truly wrong but I have a bad feeling.

SS


If it is any consolation, unlike Everest, no Sherpas will be endangered rescuing ill prepared wealthy ppl who paid some guide company to help them get on Everest. 

They also have a sealed GPS/communication device. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Miff that rings a bell..I should have made that "epoxy/ply" enquiry of the RO over 2 1/2 years ago.

 

 

PEN-DUICK-II-par-le-travers.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shanghaisailor said:

To set off around the world non stop without the navigational aids available today is irresponsible and for the organisers to  make it a rule that these aids cannot even be on board doubly so and I hope I am wrong but it would not surprise me if it is the last time we see some of these sailors, that or we will see a good number of them make for land well in advance of a complete circumnavigation and that would only be replicating the original event

I hope I am wrong, truly wrong but I have a bad feeling.

SS

There’s an emergency GPS in a sealed box in the event the sextant and back up sextant fall overboard.  Broken seal on the box disqualifies but they are able to continue the race in some other capacity.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, southerncross said:

There’s an emergency GPS in a sealed box in the event the sextant and back up sextant fall overboard.  Broken seal on the box disqualifies but they are able to continue the race in some other capacity.  

Not entirely stupid then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Not entirely stupid then

I do think they should be required to have sea serpents and mermaids hand sketched on their paper charts. 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking about this race depresses me. It's like wanting to research how to build garden gnomes, without the benefit of the Internet.

So, you need to visit your local library to ask the librarian if there are any books on garden gnomes you can borrow. But what time does the library open? Look it up on the Internet, stupid. No wait....

Oh fuck, never mind.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, QBF said:

Not sure if you meant my Notice of Race PDF,

No it was a spam attack that was then deleted. I did click on it and discovered there is a women up the street who is a beautiful but mad nymphomanic...so I'm nearly too exhausted to type this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

IT is a "nice" idea to celebrate the 50th anniversary but could you imagine the outcry if a whole bunch of people decided to celebrate/commemorate or whatever word one wishes to use a significant anniversary of the first successful climbing of Everest using only the same gear as Hilary and Tensing. They would be calling them nuts or crazy or irresponsible for putting potential rescuers in danger.

If they are going to go the whole hog with this thing they should insist at 3 months radio silence at some point in the race like RKJ had to suffer and they should draw lots wo see which one will sail aimlessly in circles in the southern Atlantic.

Of course I am being facetious but if this race is supposed to be about sailing boats of the original type then where would the harm be in being able to read a Kindle or iPad (with Navionics disabled of course ha ha)

To set off around the world non stop without the navigational aids available today is irresponsible and for the organisers to  make it a rule that these aids cannot even be on board doubly so and I hope I am wrong but it would not surprise me if it is the last time we see some of these sailors, that or we will see a good number of them make for land well in advance of a complete circumnavigation and that would only be replicating the original event

I hope I am wrong, truly wrong but I have a bad feeling.

SS

Other than the risks attached to their high latitude course, these people are probably better equipped and in better shape to avoid disaster than many cruising dreamers who take off every week to circle the orange. They are also being contantly tracked with regular two way reporting. That said like their cruising cousins I'm assuming some will bail out at some point.

It is pretty easy to list many inclusions that can either raise comfort or god forbid make these leadmines filled to the brim with baked beans go quicker. However I think every concession made would then dilute the spirit and authenticity of the thing to the extent it's attraction to some would be diminished. The wide variety of entrants seems to support the RO's approach, as nutty as it appears.

I suspect the biggest issue will be monitoring them and trying to determine what constitutes a potential onboard problem by just tracked speed of someone who has lost their primary comms (HF) but hasn't broken open the sealed sat phone. That speed will be largely current induced, not self propulsion.

However one thing they will be leaving home with in vast quantities, is pencils.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

No it was a spam attack that was then deleted. I did click on it and discovered there is a women up the street who is a beautiful but mad nymphomanic...so I'm nearly too exhausted to type this.

Are the twins still away, Jack?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

However one thing they will be leaving home with in vast quantities, is pencils.

And real tooth brushes with proper handles, probably. ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great reading the history of this event from 1968-69.

nine entries. One finisher. One went mad and just kept sailing around the world. One tried to cheat and sailed circles in the Atlantic and finally committed suicide. One had never saile before and made it part way around. One sank. And so on. 

Wonder how this one will end. I know one entry personally and I think he is perfectly suited to this type of event. Will be interesting to check in from time to time to see how far this courageous group goes and how many can mentally handle the challenge. Lord knows I could not do it!

also this might be better in cruising anarchy! Seems more related!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bait said:

also this might be better in cruising anarchy! Seems more related!

Even cruisers seem to race each other from anchorage to anchorage then regaling each other with stories at the other end on how they once hit 8k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VDH 1

Peche 2

To me, they are the standouts.

Respect for them all, it's a helluva race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, hoppy said:

to be truely old school, you should wade through your local newspaper for reports on the race, failing that buy yachting magazines to see where the boats were a few weeks earlier.

I'm with you Hoppy..thats the spirit...fuck the tracker watching grass grow and GGR Website updates, it is join in with the authenticity adopted by those participating and follow it just in the Newspaper. However with no electronic devices on board which equals sponsorship and which in turn drives mainstream media we both may be buying a lot of newspapers with no news. So what then?

All is not lost as you say because Yachting Magazines will publish what is going on albeit a few weeks old. So no peaking on their digital platform is allowed people.

However in your part of the world back in the late 60's international as well as local magazines were around 2 - 3 months late in landing there. Your local Yachting ones on account they were low volume colour publications were all printed in Hong Kong and then put on a Sampan, which explains that 2/3 month readership delay.

So that means you can buy the magazine to follow the GGR however for you to maintain late 60's authenticity you can't open it for or a month or so post its purchase in 2018.

Now if all subscribers to this thread maintain that same spirit of authenticity, this thread could become the most "time retarded" forum in internet history. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bait said:

Great reading the history of this event from 1968-69.

nine entries. One finisher. One went mad and just kept sailing around the world. One tried to cheat and sailed circles in the Atlantic and finally committed suicide. One had never saile before and made it part way around. One sank. And so on. 

Wonder how this one will end. I know one entry personally and I think he is perfectly suited to this type of event. Will be interesting to check in from time to time to see how far this courageous group goes and how many can mentally handle the challenge. Lord knows I could not do it!

also this might be better in cruising anarchy! Seems more related!

I don't think that Moitessier went mad he just spent enough time at sea to find the race and the western world futile and decide that he was after a simpler life. In one of his book ISTR he tries to square the paradox of owning a boat made of steel and promoting a simpler civilisation kinder to people. He was in awe that the industrial world would make it possible for a man to sail round the world alone on one hand and on the other hand he had first hand experience of the colonial wars and wanted to reconcile the best of the worlds. He spent a lot of time in Polynesia trying to help islanders have a better life (he had some knowledge in agronomy). He was a complex man but not mad.

Talking of Moitessier there is another event called la longue route to commemorate the golden globe : http://longueroute2018.com/

It's not a race, it was created in reaction to the new golden globe race, some people felt that such a detail rule was against the spirit of the original . Basically you bring the boat you want to bring as long as it is less than 52 feet, and sail around the world starting North enough.

Very little publicity and 26 participants.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I'm with you Hoppy..thats the spirit...fuck the tracker watching grass grow and GGR Website updates, it is join in with the authenticity adopted by those participating and follow it just in the Newspaper. However with no electronic devices on board which equals sponsorship and which in turn drives mainstream media we both may be buying a lot of newspapers with no news. So what then?

All is not lost as you say because Yachting Magazines will publish what is going on albeit a few weeks old. So no peaking on their digital platform is allowed people.

However in your part of the world back in the late 60's international as well as local magazines were around 2 - 3 months late in landing there. Your local Yachting ones on account they were low volume colour publications were all printed in Hong Kong and then put on a Sampan, which explains that 2/3 month readership delay.

So that means you can buy the magazine to follow the GGR however for you to maintain late 60's authenticity you can't open it for or a month or so post its purchase in 2018.

Now if all subscribers to this thread maintain that same spirit of authenticity, this thread could become the most "time retarded" forum in internet history. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Panoramix said:

I don't think that Moitessier went mad ....In one of his book ISTR he tries to square the paradox of owning a boat made of steel and promoting a simpler civilisation kinder to people. 

I'm now readjusting my thoughts on madness and owning a car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Panoramix said:

I don't think that Moitessier went mad he just spent enough time at sea to find the race and the western world futile and decide that he was after a simpler life.

I think a lot of it had to do with not wanting to return to his ex wife, the kids, and the routine.  Often wonder how he just left the kids to start a new life and family in the So. Pacific.

I met him after he lost Joshua in Cabo.  Saw all of those Super 8 movies of the original Red Boat in the So. Ocean.  I was too young to appreciate who he was and what he done or to ask the right questions.  But he signed my copy of The Long Way.  One of my most prized possessions.

A few years later I met Nastassja Kinski.  Her father Klaus had sailed with Moitissier down the CA coast to Mexico where it was lost.  I remember thanking the Lord that I had something interesting to talk to her about because I was completely mesmerized by her beauty.  That chance meeting turned out well.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TBF Moitessier abandoned his wife had a second family in French Polynesia and made a bunch of money off his book - far more than the final winnings. Probably a complex character but not really some esoteric philosopher king that is romanticized these days.

 

Edit: southern beat me to it. Lemme add - his version of romanticized experience in the east and French Polynesia wasn't that peculiar or unique for French colonials of the time. At that time, France was/is complicated re equality and liberty for all while struggling to deal with inherent unjustness of colonial powers, desire for nationalist greatness & treatment of minorities, whether Algerian/Tunisian and including Jews eagerly shipped off during occupation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, southerncross said:

A few years later I met Nastassja Kinski.  Her father Klaus had sailed with Moitissier down the CA coast to Mexico where it was lost.  I remember thanking the Lord that I had something interesting to talk to her about because I was completely mesmerized by her beauty.  That chance meeting turned out well.

I remember that, SX rang me up all flustered wanting to borrow my dick for the evening...so I can confirm what he says is all true..it turned out well. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southerncross said:

I think a lot of it had to do with not wanting to return to his ex wife, the kids, and the routine.  Often wonder how he just left the kids to start a new life and family in the So. Pacific.

 

They weren't his kids and their actual father was probably happy that the children didn't move to Polynesia. Françoise Moitessier divorced her husband to marry Bernard and sailed round the horn with him. After her separation she carried on doing conferences about Joshua and went on sailing a ferro cement boat called croc blanc and married 2 other men.

No doubts that Moitessier could be selfish at times but the story is not as one sided as you present it. I think that Françoise is still alive.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

They weren't his kids and their actual father was probably happy that the children didn't move to Polynesia. Françoise Moitessier divorced her husband to marry Bernard and sailed round the horn with him. After her separation she carried on doing conferences about Joshua and went on sailing a ferro cement boat called croc blanc and married 2 other men.

No doubts that Moitessier could be selfish at times but the story is not as one sided as you present it. I think that Françoise is still alive.

Pano, thanks for that.  I'm glad.  I had always found it difficult to reconcile this choice. 

"During this period, Bernard met again an old childhood sweetheart, Francoise, now grown up and with three children by a former marriage. The two ex-colonials were married and Bernard became the father of a ready-made family."

http://www.bluemoment.com/moitessier.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched this Golden Globe Race video and found the skippers speaking about why they entered Golden Globe Race was quite interesting.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, QBF said:

I watched this Golden Globe Race video and found the skippers speaking about why they entered Golden Globe Race was quite interesting.

 

Are they ALL masochists? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Are they ALL masochists? 

...and with a lot of time to spare and enjoy reading all things paper, including the labels on cans of baked beans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

...and with a lot of time to spare and enjoy reading all things paper, including the labels on cans of baked beans?

IIRC footage from the original race showed a competitor preparing a whole chicken to roast, from a can :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

...and with a lot of time to spare and enjoy reading all things paper, including the labels on cans of baked beans?

When they are reduced to the backs of cereal boxes, then the desperation will set in....

In the meantime, "Les Cyclistes d'Or" have announced they are going to run a replica of the Tour de France using Penny Farthing bicycles while banning any support vehicles not serving Bordeaux and baguettes at lunch.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched the video. Pretty funny that those old guys still don't know they do it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, SCANAS said:

IIRC footage from the original race showed a competitor preparing a whole chicken to roast, from a can :( 

That would be Nigel Tetley "The Globe-Girdling Gourmet."

Here is a snippet from the book "The Circumnavigators - by Don Holm"

In late October, Tetley felt giddy spells, which he diagnosed as dehydration and salt deficiency. He made up for this with Chinese broiled croaker and rice, consumed with lime juice. Feeling better, he planned a dinner of venison in wine.

The next day, he tried out nasigoreng with prawns, fried potatoes, and kidneys in wine. Then he relaxed with Hawaiian music. His portable solar still did not work, so he read Coleridge's Ancient Mariner and snacked on cockles, prawns, and rice.

In the trade winds, he began to get flying fish aboard. These were fried in butter, and supplemented with Polish sausage, roast duck, smoked salmon, onions, cuttlefish, mushrooms, and stereo music.

Nigel Tetley's book Trimaran Solo was a great read and it was fun to read about his gourmet meals and listening to various Marches, Symphonies, Concerto's, and Overtures supplied to him by his sponsor Music for Pleasure. All that while sailing in the roaring-forties in a full bore, cruising trimaran.

Here is a link to the chapter, The Globe-Girdling Gourmet, by Don Holm

http://www.stexboat.com/books/circumnav/ci_29.htm

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2018 at 4:59 AM, QBF said:

Here is a snippet from the book "The Circumnavigators - by Don Holm"

Thanks muchly for those links.

Tetley hooked me with his effort and demeanour when rescued; Holm hooked with his permission for the on-line version and  his credits.

Quote

Tracking down individuals under the circumstances, at times became a frustrating chore, involving hundreds of letters to all parts of the globe to check facts or obtain additional information; many letters required the inclusion of International Reply Coupons for encouragement. Since these are negotiable in many exotic hideaways, and since small boat voyagers as a rule dislike writing letters when wine is cheap and companionship warm, some of the replies no doubt got lost between the anchorage and the local poste marque office. If this is the case, they have my heartiest good wishes and no hard feelings.

But the replies that did come in, and the enthusiastic and spontaneous cooperation encountered among real bluewater sailors, was astonishing, and I am deeply indebted to all these individuals and organizations.

http://www.stexboat.com/books/circumnav/ci_b.htm

Looking forward to reading the rest of the book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2018 at 3:42 PM, stief said:

Thanks muchly for those links.

Tetley hooked me with his effort and demeanour when rescued; Holm hooked with his permission for the on-line version and  his credits.

http://www.stexboat.com/books/circumnav/ci_b.htm

Looking forward to reading the rest of the book.

Another part of Tetley's book, Trimaran Solo that I found interesting was where he described how his boat was falling apart and he was actually drilling holes in his leaking hulls to let the water out as he sailed up the Atlantic on his way home!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The SITRaN Charity Race from Pendennis Point UK, to Les Sables d’Olonne, France, for the start of the GGR has begun This is the first time the fleet has raced together.

One thing that has surprised me is how well Abhilash Tomy's modern build Suhaili replica is doing.

To celebrate India’s heritage in building famous singlehanded yachts in the past (Suhaili and Lively Lady spring to mind) Abhilash will be racing a replica of Sir Robin Knox-Johnston’s original winner. Work began at the Aquarius shipyard on Goa in 2016, not with the rudimentary adze, bow drill and hand saw that shaped Suhaili in a Bombay shipyard five decades before, but with the latest CAD design and CNC cutting machinery to produce a much lighter wood epoxy composite replica. Thuriya was launched in August 2017 and Cdr.Tomy has been conducting sea trials in the Indian Ocean prior to shipping the yacht to Europe in March 2018.
 

This is a screen shot of the race I took just before writing this post.

92496908_LiveTracker.thumb.png.4a5a8af98e196a5df71059a7c3e06179.png
 

The Live Tracker is active for this pre-race, race

SITRaN Charity Race start video

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats for the updates QBF.

RKJ's is an obvious patron of this race...albeit he is still spitting chips the start was moved from the UK to France as no one in his home country gave this race any value.

His thoughts on RTW stuff may interest some here from another thread....the vid marker is VOR centric, he starts a few minutes before that.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we will see these two Frenchman both in Rustler 36's (7 in the race) in a ding dong battle.

Phillippe might have the edge on age but offset, albeit it practical, having his dodger built by a World War 1 tank manufacturer.

Jean-Luc van den Heede 

http://goldengloberace.com/skipper/jean-luc-van-den-heede-13/

Philippe Péché

http://goldengloberace.com/skipper/philippe-peche/

I just hope I'm still alive when they finally finish.

IMG_20180616_114804.jpg

IMG_20180616_114821.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a good measure of who's going to be fast is who's the most skilled celestial navigator and shortwave/SSB guy.  That plus background is going to make the race.  Not sure exactly why, but I'm super pumped about this race.  Best part is, it's going to last forever!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, r.finn said:

Best part is, it's going to last forever!

I hope it's a miserable failure from the get go.  I can't afford to get sucked into another RTW race for 9 mos.  Better put a smily in for the serious folk (:D).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to have to adjust my arm chair into the recline position and brew a cup of tea after watching VOR boats hitting 30 knts in the North Sea and seeing these boats plow and round up. 

Still interesting to watch.  Just a different tempo.  Good on Mr. McIntyre for pulling this off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going thru the race rules, "AIS transponder with No access to GPS" is allowed." I didn't know that was possible.

The propulsion engine can be run in gear to give motion at any time in the record attempt without penalty, except within 30 miles of the start line and 250 miles of the finish line." No watermaker or spectra lines. Head sail furling is acceptable. 
 

Rustler and Biscay boats will probably be off and away before they're past the Canary islands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, southerncross said:

I hope it's a miserable failure from the get go.  I can't afford to get sucked into another RTW race for 9 mos.  Better put a smily in for the serious folk (:D).

Based on footage of the boats sailing and then tracking them, it's going to be much more fun to follow on the map than to watch video highlights.  Not as much boat porn than it is watching Methodists dance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, southerncross said:

I hope it's a miserable failure from the get go.  I can't afford to get sucked into another RTW race for 9 mos.  Better put a smily in for the serious folk (:D).

What we need here is for this thread to turn into a print journal for this race, where we  receive a copy of all the  posts each month and then have two weeks to furiously respond to each other with suitable screeds which would then  have to be mailed in, in time for the next monthly edition of the thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, southerncross said:

No sailboat had ever been registered in India before.  Who knew?

 

What a good interview.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I think we will see these two Frenchman both in Rustler 36's (7 in the race) in a ding dong battle.

Phillippe might have the edge on age but offset, albeit it practical, having his dodger built by a World War 1 tank manufacturer.

Jean-Luc van den Heede 

http://goldengloberace.com/skipper/jean-luc-van-den-heede-13/

Philippe Péché

http://goldengloberace.com/skipper/philippe-peche/

I just hope I'm still alive when they finally finish.

IMG_20180616_114804.jpg

IMG_20180616_114821.jpg

I am great fan of WWI tank styled dodgers... Some idiots actually go to sea with fabric dodgers that you have to furl if the wind gets over 33.7 knots. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a sailing mate who did the two-handed Trans Tasman many years ago - had a solid dodger that he named "the block of flats" - sailed from Sydney to Auckland in his dressing gown.