QBF

The 2018 Golden Globe Race

There you are, Page 14.

Thanks to all of the great analysts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Not custom but like most things Tapio I get the impression he only opened his wallet for the best. With that $ approach to outfitting he must be very frustrated by his current power dilemma.

My guess he has standard Solbian panels (Italian origin coincidently like his boat) which has short handed sailing solar power in their DNA.The first SH boat to be fitted with Solbian modules was Giovanni Soldini’s Class 40 around a decade ago.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.solbian.eu/img/cms/PDF/catalogo_ENG_LD.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjVxqGav9jcAhWOAYgKHeDAA24QFjADegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw280j8oo3OE_5ruA1x5SC3U

My comment above was that the installation looked very vulnerable to shadows.  I understand that Solbain (translates as "Sunbath"?) panels are very good, but installation looks iffy.  You guys know better than me.

38 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

My comment above was that the installation looked very vulnerable to shadows. 

It is pretty horrible location but there are very few options on that canoe. Even the cabintop location on some of the Rustlers isn't that great.

Locating solar on monos is hard at the best of times and require some sort of structure proud of the deck for max efficiency. For those that don't want the stainless forrest portable flexible panels is one solution, but the downside is passage making relys on other charge sources and no good for this crowd who don't stop anywhere.

Spanning the 5 most southern Capes, between SA, Aust, NZ and Chile these guys are in a HF comfort zone serviced both official and unofficial that arguably doesn't exist anywhere else on earth, which is very important down there having regard to high lattitude HF propogation issues. 

As they roll though spring and summer they are going to get into good propagation. North - South propagation is rarely a problem so there will always be somebody to talk to somewhere in the world. The official forecasts are broadcast at set times of course so they will find their day revolving around the broadcasts that work for their position.

There will be quite a gap of useful information between NZ and Cape Horn as NZ's coverage of the anything south of the Coconut milk run is abysmal.

At least that far out at sea there is little man-made noise about :)

They use amateur radio frequencies?

As far as I know, radio amateurs are not enthusiastic about this kind of use of frequencies allocated for amateur radio.

American HAM's are simply struggling with this.

1 hour ago, Buna said:

They use amateur radio frequencies?

As far as I know, radio amateurs are not enthusiastic about this kind of use of frequencies allocated for amateur radio.

American HAM's are simply struggling with this.

A lot of Hams are very enthusiastic about it and there are some very active HAM maritime mobile nets such as the one on 14.300 MHz the Pacific segment of which is run by mainly US/Hawaii HAMs. The amateur style of this event kind of fits nicely into HAM ethos and certainly doesn't break any rules or codes of conduct. 

Hams only get excited about it if the user is not licenced.

As long as the operator is licenced, this stuff is embraced by the Hams.

The licence involves some knowledge of electronics, propagation, antennae, stuff you'd expect a radio enthusiast to know or want to know.

Morse is no longer required, though I'm unsure whether that is universal.

Mounting solar panels in the shade is not very succesful.

I imagine some of them will be mounting them vertically from the rail as they get south, if they need the power.

Cable-tied and removable.

11 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Not custom but like most things Tapio I get the impression he only opened his wallet for the best. With that $ approach to outfitting he must be very frustrated by his current power dilemma.

My guess he has standard Solbian panels (Italian origin coincidently like his boat) which has short handed sailing solar power in their DNA.The first SH boat to be fitted with Solbian modules was Giovanni Soldini’s Class 40 around a decade ago.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.solbian.eu/img/cms/PDF/catalogo_ENG_LD.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjVxqGav9jcAhWOAYgKHeDAA24QFjADegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw280j8oo3OE_5ruA1x5SC3U

Definitely from the custom (or semi custom if you like) panel range because they have been built to fit around the lazarette hatch. 25 cells per side on the aft section, not a lot especially with a shadow or two limiting output from a few cells. Another 10 or so on the cockpit sides.. depends on what arrangement of series and parallel he has too.

Yea small monohulls are not solar friendly and if you start putting them on stainless spaghetti the first decent green wave and they are a gift to Neptune. They'll work better in the south once they get cold, and in a few months time once the Sun is a bit higher in the sky and with the wind south of west .... :)

On 8/6/2018 at 4:40 AM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

If you’re ever there, it’s worth seeing the world’s first chip - the Jack Kilby-designed 1958 one, the famous “flying wires” design (http://smithsonianchips.si.edu/augarten/i6.htm)...and compare to Noyce’s slightly later elegant planar process design...https://www.edn.com/electronics-blogs/edn-moments/4412805/Noyce-receives-1st-IC-patent--April-25--1961-

Cant remember how many individual transistors have been made to fit on a chip now - over a billion...1630CCC4-7A00-4D91-AAFC-E7D4466593CA.jpeg.127bea6c9f22634e183d3a531a05c078.jpeg

Fabulous place requiring many visits to appreciate it all. Science and Technology and Maritime museums are my favourite touring haunts.

Kilby was working for Texas Instruments when he came up with that. Noyce who subsequently got the patent first worked for a guy called William Shockley (who was jointly awarded the 1956 Nobel Prize in Physics for research on semiconductors) but left with a bunch of engineers  to create Fairchild Semiconductor and where he was when patent was awarded. After suing each other Texas Instruments and Fairchild then shared the spoils. Shockley while a prolific securer of patents never profited to the extent others did, however it is acknowledged he is the one who brought silicon to Silicon Valley.

Seems like it was a very incestious business back then.

Everyone automatically thinks the Integrated Circuit gave birth to the personnel computer which indeed it did however remember most universities and businesses were still importing data via punch cards onto mainframes for another two decades. Even with the wider introduction of the IBM PC in early 80's they were hellishly expensive and a shared resource in the workplace.

The thing that impacted upon most people's lives was the introduction of the electronic calculator in the late 60's by company's such as Texas Instruments and Hewlett Packard. The best example of how the PC was slow to launch is HP came up with a desktop PC in late 60's but elected to call it a "calculator" fearing market resistance to the word "computer".  Steve Wozniak (Apple tech wizard and joint founder) was working at HP developing the Apple 1 in his spare time and offered it to HP half a dozen times under a first right of refusal arrangement, yet HP knocked him back.

I first starting using a scientific calculator in the 70's then splashed out on a Tamaya NC2 navigation calculator to speed up the transformation of sextant readings into celestial fixes. This was before the Sat Nav or NAVSTAR was made available to the public by US Defence in early 80's (intertmitant fixes not continuous like current GPS) though recievers cost an arm and a leg ensuring the sextant still had a life. GPS as we know it today didn't arrive until the early 90's but with no electronic maps. However you could get a electronic plotting device that took the fix from the Reciever and when calibrated to and laid over a paper chart it showed the fix on the paper chart.

I think of the time that navigation calculator saved plus you tended to get less errors compared to these guys having to do it all longhand.

I still have a HP Financial Calculator released in the early 80's and cost I recall a couple of hundred dollars which in today's dollars is thousands. HP still make that exactly the same calculator today but costs less than a $100.

Long live the humble calculator. 

TamayaNC2_1.jpg

• Like 1

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I still have a HP Financial Calculator released in the early 80's and cost I recall a couple of hundred dollars which in today's dollars is thousands. HP still make that exactly the same calculator today but costs less than a $100.

Long live the humble calculator. 

I still have, and use, an HP32 RPN calculator. My fingers can fly though a set of calculations using RPN .. I even have a soft version on my phone these days. 

42 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I first starting using a scientific calculator in the 70's then splashed out on a Tamaya NC2 navigation calculator to speed up the transformation of sextant readings into celestial fixes. This was before the Sat Nav or NAVSTAR was made available to the public by US Defence in early 80's (intertmitant fixes not continuous like current GPS) though recievers cost an arm and a leg ensuring the sextant still had a life. GPS as we know it today didn't arrive until the early 90's but with no electronic maps. However you could get a electronic plotting device that took the fix from the Reciever and when calibrated to and laid over a paper chart it showed the fix on the paper chart.

Here's a paperback version of the scientific calculator.  I've found it to be really quick and perfectly accurate for reducing sites from a small boat.  And at only 9 reference pages, it's really "racey" :) https://www.amazon.com/Celestial-Navigation-Table-Mike-Pepperday/dp/0939837099

OFF

Well, if you are so sick of ot nostalgia.

Perfectly working.

2018-08-0709-18calculator.jpg

Slats set to cape.
The wind there  already enough.
Soon we will see who is first and who is the eleventh.

53 minutes ago, Buna said:

OFF

Well, if you are so sick of ot nostalgia.

Perfectly working.

Is that a Russian PC? :-)

One of my calculators last time I changed the battery was last century 

jast

OFF

On ebay I do not sell, on photostock let they steal

I think they took off with HP (nip), but I do not know the model

Logarithmic ruler of  father's 50 years Germans

Accumulators such for a long time did not see NiCd

2018-08-07 10-46-54.249loglin.jpg

2018-08-0709-18calculator2.jpg

2018-08-0709-18calculator3.jpg

10 hours ago, littlechay said:

I still have, and use, an HP32 RPN calculator. My fingers can fly though a set of calculations using RPN .. I even have a soft version on my phone these days. 

Ah, finally something I can contribute.  The one on the right was my workhorse all through college and beyond.

The secret weapon is my little friend made of bamboo in the bottom of the picture, complete with magnifier.

IMG_20180807_064158775a.jpg

Since y'all are walking down this past highway, I cut my teeth on the IBM 370 then moved on to the sleek HP3000 before going to the dark side of distributed systems and the client/server world.  I wrote my own calculator programs ^_^

The HP had disk drives the size of small washing machines holding maybe 10 megs of data on  multiple disks and the first system I worked on had 4 meg of RAM.  Still, these systems were able to do so much, because back then programmers had to learn how to wring the most out of code in the least amount of instructions.

Good times.

As to the race, Susie needs to start showing a better commitment to an easterly heading or she'll lose what she's gained on Slats and Gregor.  86 miles separation between Peche and Heede with Peche more south, Heede more east and still a toss up on who passes the Cape first (still betting Heede).  Igor must have fallen in a hole for he had been up with that east pack, but is now a good bit behind.  Are is slowly knocking them down and it is a long race, but come on Susie, time to turn left.

c35d778b5701340384f5e88c7d1e254c--computer-technology-retro-design.jpg

3000-70_filled-37.jpg

Has Are Wiig enough diesel to run his engine all the way around?!? He has had impressive boat speed over the last week, caught up and now in probably a real 3rd / 4th.

Аllowed to row:rolleyes:

Mark Slats is climing in the ranking to 4e place. If you look at the 24 run he is sailing very vast (vmg 44kn and 711nm):lol:

6 hours ago, bucc5062 said:

Since y'all are walking down this past highway, I cut my teeth on the IBM 370 then moved on to the sleek HP3000 before going to the dark side of distributed systems and the client/server world.  I wrote my own calculator programs ^_^

The HP had disk drives the size of small washing machines holding maybe 10 megs of data on  multiple disks and the first system I worked on had 4 meg of RAM.  Still, these systems were able to do so much, because back then programmers had to learn how to wring the most out of code in the least amount of instructions.

I learnt on the  PDP8 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDP-8 and later on the BBC model B, and yes the PDP 8 hard drives were in another room and the size of a washing machine.

Slats must be getting weather, now at least, because it looks like he is coming east harder than he would have done if sailing to a plan. 

19 minutes ago, littlechay said:

I learnt on the  PDP8 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDP-8 and later on the BBC model B, and yes the PDP 8 hard drives were in another room and the size of a washing machine.

Ah , quite a modern machine, I was at North Staffs College where we had a DEUCE , no semiconductors , you could walk around inside it and the valves kept you warm, cathode ray memory as well as a prototype drum.

Great to see the fleet all pushing on and enjoying the race. Keep up the excellent analysis.

4 hours ago, Cuffy said:

Has Are Wiig enough diesel to run his engine all the way around?!? He has had impressive boat speed over the last week, caught up and now in probably a real 3rd / 4th.

Are Wiig is one of few in the fleet that is not using his engine at all, actually! Just look at the tracker from Biscay and after Cape Verde where he was drifting around in circles and being left behind the others. He said before the start and also at his sat call last week(in Norwegian) that he is not using the engine for propulsion and he is not going to do so, as he wants to be the first Norwegian who is sailing solo non-stop around - the proper way. He rather saves the fuel for his Dickinson diesel heater for drying clothes and have a comfortable cabin when in the Southern Ocean. 

So yes, the small old Swedish double ender is impressingly fast! On his sea trials last October, he broke the record of sailing from the Southern cape of Norway to the Northern Cape; 7 days, 1 hour, 1 min. 10 hours faster than the old record held by a fully crewed Pogo 10.50! (netto 7 days, 11 hrs, 27 min, but they had one stop of 2 days to repair their forestay, so actually 9 days, 11 hrs, 20 min).

Check out his official Facebook site Are Sailing, if you want see some photos and films from his preparations for the race. 

https://www.facebook.com/aresailing/

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bucc5062 said:

As to the race, Susie needs to start showing a better commitment to an easterly heading or she'll lose what she's gained on Slats and Gregor. 

Buccaneer nothing has changed from my weekend offering below.

Sheis now stretched out to being around 30 mile further south than those on the inside and still going quicker. When the wind backs your wish will come true.

On 8/4/2018 at 5:54 AM, bucc5062 said:

Susie may want to start bending east if she can and close the gap on Uku for it does seem that the center east is the place to be with these speed daemons, but sitting fourth is not too shabby.

On 8/4/2018 at 7:47 AM, jack_sparrow said:

Those GGR reports using tracker positions are nonsence. Susie is third :-)  and the weather will be the decider of her route not where Uku is. I would rather be where she is looking ahead, get south and east will look after itself.

48 hour over the ground numbers to midnight for my Top 3 are:

Peche 267 mile or 5.6k average;

Heede 252 mile or 5.3k average; 

Slatts 327 mile or 6.8k average

Very simply Heede unchanged doing what he does, Peche shortening the string on the old fellow and Slatts on fire, not only BS but a VMG nearly the same, noting the tracker stating it is 45k is a tad overstating his good fortune. He is not only blitzing it getting east but extended his southern seperation out to around a 100 mile. 

However as forecast last weekend the tables are going to turn suddenly today and both Heede and Peche will get to enjoy the backside of the High coming through with around 25+ and backing north through to the weekend. This will put them below 30S and with more east. Good place to be.

Slatts on the other hand is falling off the back of the High as we speak and will hit the wall with a mix of light stuff through to the weekend. He is going loose out quite badly from this system cycle.

The weekend is looking very interesting with potentialy the three of them getting a sling shot, for Peche and Heede it will be out the barrel heading east but for Slatts he might need his thermals.

If this occurs it will be luck for Team France not weather routing as this opportunity did not exist last weekend. Having said that subject to sea state this might be the first time in the race they will need to take it easy or we might be hearing about busted gear. 

Who said this race was like watching snails fight over a dead ant.

On 8/7/2018 at 11:57 AM, littlechay said:

Would be interesting to hear how these HAM guys are finding it being we are at bottom of the 11 year sun spot cycle and its impact on propogation at the moment. See linky below for background.

So bad HF propogation now and next peak of good HF propogation around 2024.

It seems sunspots have recently vanished far quicker than thought would happen as the current solar cycle called number "24” comes to an end or in fact cycle "25" may have already started? The chart below is dated 2 days ago 6 August.

https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/antennas-propagation/ionospheric/sunspots-cycle-activity.php

Bit of thread drift killed nobody 

unnamed (7).gif

Supposed by my system of atmospheric fronts to the road to  cape.
Seen that the model data weakly reflect the actual

not happen right

zygrib080818.jpg

sat070818.jpg

LATEST SAT TEXTS

Mark Slats P68 ALLES TOP EN MENSEN BLIJF AUB DONEREN OP SAILING4CANCER
(Note:Normally when Entrants' message started with P, it's not for public, but this one authorized by  Marks Slats' team to share, it's Mark asked for donations for his sailing for cancer. )

Istvan Kopar 37GDHADTOCANCELNOONSIGHTDUETOGRILLIMGSUNGOTSBURNINSPITEASSIESS

Tapio Lehtinen 6IN SE TRADES WITH GREAT H1 GENOA BY J WILENIUS/WB-SAILS,12V55%

Jean-Luc Van Den Heede 8 DU VENT DEPUIS CE MATIN 1RIS ET3TOURS DE GENOA.ON PROGRESSE!T

Abhilash Tomy 05 HOPE THERE IS MORE TO SAILING THAN CLOSEHAULED

Uku Randmaa HEADING TO SOUTH.ALL OK.:)

Mark Sinclair 88 STAINLESS STEEL BUCKET TORN FROM GRASP DURING SALTWATER BATH

Philippe Peche 85 SATPHONE LOOK!NG 4 NETWORK W!LL CALL ASAP

Antoine Cousot 1 J AI CROISE DE NOMBREUSES BALISES METEO/OCEANOG(?) RECEMMENT

Igor Zaretskiy ESMERALDA OK

This is an interesting report and a concerning one for two competitors by my reading, but which might well be wrong.

Tapio still in a spot of bother but maybe implies otherwise. 55% refers to his battery(s) State of Charge (SOC). Ordinarily most people would say that is fine, however I think not. Assuming Tapio has AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) not FLA (Flooded Lead Acid) batteries these should not be taken below 50% SOC (Or abt 12.1volts) and should be brought regularly as close as possible to 100% SOC.

To not do so their capacity will rapidly shrink and becomes more difficult to accept a charge over anything but over an extended period or with a meaningful charge rate. Bearing in mind engine starting and HF induce the greatest loads and voltage sag he is on the brink of having no energy storage and will be limited to what he can produce on a daily basis. That becomes more acute at high latitudes where solar (great panels, shit location)) and hydro (sea state/weather) become troublesome/unreliable subject to conditions. One saving grace is his Euro centric HF model employs a power supply which deals with voltage sag.

He really needs to sort his power issue while he can while in low lats otherwise he won't be able to comply with Rules of Race regarding maintaining comms, which includes HF reporting and keeping sat comm devices charged.

VDH..working his Genoa to death to progress I think?

Philipe I fear he has a significant issue other competitors or his HAM crowd can't help with, bearing in mind he made his weekly sat phone call yesterday and he normally texts in French.

The Rules of Race state with my emphasis;

"3.1.3 Without assistance

It is understood and agreed that in no circumstances can the skipper receive any assistance or external help, either requested or otherwise, including: Personalized weather assistance.

4.9 Position reporting

3rd Paragraph. Entrants are free to call GGR headquarters with the sat phone at any time, to make a confidential ‘Voluntary SAFETY REPORT’. No information from this SAFETY REPORT will be passed on to any other person unless considered appropriate by the GGR Committee."

Bear in mind Kopar was initially DSQ then reinstated with a time penalty on the basis the RO/Jury??? determined his issue did not constitute a "Safety Report" which is not a defined term in the Rules of Race and where it was deemed "outside assistance" applied.

I therefore hope for Phillipe nothing is wrong and if so, he is abreast of the RoR's and the RO's arbitary interpretation of them post Kopargate that don't appear to involve a proper Jury as stipulated in those RoR.

16 minutes ago, Buna said:

Supposed by my system of atmospheric fronts to the road to  cape.

zygrib080818.jpg

Buna actually even "half weekly forecast" compared to "actual" don't match by over 1,000 mile. Read my latest 48 Hour Report just up thread posted 4 hours ago where I said this;

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

The weekend is looking very interesting with potentialy the three of them getting a sling shot, for Peche and Heede it will be out the barrel heading east but for Slatts he might need his thermals.

If this occurs it will be luck for Team France not weather routing as this opportunity did not exist last weekend.

To explain I will post some graphics shortly.

No, I  compare the current satellite image and model.
Not immediately able to place.  Necessary to compress pictures.

13 minutes ago, Buna said:

No, I  compare the current satellite image and model.
Not immediately able to place.  Necessary to compress pictures.

I now see the current Sat image you added after my post. Understand what your saying but the forecast image you posted is not a week old as you originally said 

47 minutes ago, Buna said:

That forecast model you posted is maybe 24 hours old at best.

No worries I understand English not your 1st. Enjoy reading your Russian centric posts.

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I now see the current Sat image you put in after post. Understand what your saying but the forecast image you posted is not a week old as you said.

That forecast model you posted is maybe 24 hours old at best.

I think he really did mean that it weakly reflects the actually.. not weak as a measure of time . 

• Like 1

I did not say anything about the week

Sorry

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, littlechay said:

I think he really did mean that it weakly reflects the actually.. not weak as a measure of time . 

Yep got it..He hadn't posted that sat image when I replied. Then again didn't it as a weak comparison having regard to Lattitude.

Maybe this thread needs a full time launguage interpreter, just for me and my posts :-) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buna said:

I did not say anything about the week

Sorry

No need ...my mistake. Your English comprehension is better than mine.

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

I therefore hope for Phillipe nothing is wrong and if so, he is abreast of the RoR's and the RO's arbitary interpretation of them post Kopargate that don't appear to involve a proper Jury as stipulated in those RoR.

Park the weather and linguistics.. I'm worried about a potential "Pechegate" with this nutty RO.

All things spring to mind ..the RO is staying in VDH's apartment in le Sables and I still think no one landed on the moon on 69 and that was a Hollywood production made around the time RKJ got home 51 years ago in this race.

Lucky I'm not into conspiracys.

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

LATEST SAT TEXTS

Philippe Peche 85 SATPHONE LOOK!NG 4 NETWORK W!LL CALL ASAP

Philipe I fear he has a significant issue other competitors or his HAM crowd can't help with, bearing in mind he made his weekly sat phone call yesterday and he normally texts in French.

Jack, I think you should not be too worried about this message from Peche. All entrants are to make a sat call to the RO office every week at a certain time, or they may get penalties. So if Peche is to make his sat calls every Tuesday at UTC 11:00 AM (I do not know his exact call-in time), he needs to do that or the RO start to wonder what's going on/consider penalty.

To me it seems that Peche tried to make his call at his time and were not able to do so due to missing network/signal, and therefore sent a tweet immidiately to the RO telling them that he will try to make the call as soon as he gets signal. And just an hour or so after this tweet, he managed to call the the RO office where he didn't mention anything about this "problem" (in the English bit, at least).

I don't know anything about sat phones, so please arrest me if I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, LOK77 said:

Jack, I think you should not be too worried about this message from Peche. All entrants are to make a sat call to the RO office every week at a certain time, or they may get penalties. So if Peche is to make his sat calls every Tuesday at UTC 11:00 AM (I do not know his exact call-in time), he needs to do that or the RO start to wonder what's going on/consider penalty.

To me it seems that Peche tried to make his call at his time and were not able to do so due to missing network/signal, and therefore sent a tweet immidiately to the RO telling them that he will try to make the call as soon as he gets signal. And just an hour or so after this tweet, he managed to call the the RO office where he didn't mention anything about this "problem" (in the English bit, at least).

I don't know anything about sat phones, so please arrest me if I'm wrong.

LOK I think you maybe be on the money there on account the RO has little regard for time and timing...in accord with race flavour and it seems to me not really giving a fuck about that. 

If your right and I now think you are, Peche's weekly sat call was uploaded one day and his and everyone else's daily texts that predated it were uploaded the next day. 

That means the daily short texts are probably more than 24 hours old, bearing in mind boats and HQ are currently in the same time zone plus or minus. That timing should be interesting when they go east and don't. Yet in the same period post Peche sat call a plethora of RO uploads including a round Aust race many moons ago where he was the RO etc. WTF.

The bloke hasn't a clue about fan engagement or anyone else who puts up the bucks to make his fantasy happen. It is now all smelling self promotion looking to the next deal?

He is in some sort of bubble world, hoping no one will notice is my best guess.

Relying on the tracker which is 4 hour real time, best place to follow this race is here I think, not via the RO's efforts of pitiful and outdated  information, that leads to useless posts about their text messages and bothering to interrogate them as I have stupidly done.

Wow, Slats is really rowing hard there! Nearly 800 nm on the last 24 hours, close to Gabart record...

image.png.4fbd4d1d09bd456a9a7ca49e7efe5e92.png

Does anyone know if the reported position of Slats is correct? Quite difficult to have an idea of the current standing with the fleet spread like this except that Gregor doesn't look like a net 12th.

Edit: In case it's not obvious, the question is more about where those 783 nm might be coming from and if the position of his boat is wrong or if there was some miscalculation before.

41 minutes ago, Lakrass said:

Wow, Slats is really rowing hard there! Nearly 800 nm on the last 24 hours, close to Gabart record...

image.png.4fbd4d1d09bd456a9a7ca49e7efe5e92.png

Does anyone know if the reported position of Slats is correct? Quite difficult to have an idea of the current standing with the fleet spread like this except that Gregor doesn't look like a net 12th.

Edit: In case it's not obvious, the question is more about where those 783 nm might be coming from and if the position of his boat is wrong or if there was some miscalculation before.

800 mile..wow...hint maybe read this thread about tracker nonsense or even just 9 hours ago about run numbers before posting shit otherwise I will start wondering why I bother putting the work in here deciphering the tracker for mankind and my dog.

I appreciate your effort to provide us instructive reports, You really make the race interesting to follow (along with Chay). I would still like to understand how the tracker could provide such numbers and where they are coming from. For a better understanding of the leaderboard and tracker, make my own opinion before coming here and read your report and strategy situation. 

But I have a hard time understanding where the tracking numbers are coming from, especially for DFT and Distance (24h). It lloks like the distance (24h) is only a delta of DFT at 24h intervall. Then how can the DFT be reduced by more than the distance sailed (+ drift) is where I struggle.

Regarding the previous post, this was only meant to highlight the magnitude of the aberration shown by the tracker as it takes a multi in proper wind condition to reach that kind of distance over 24h.

LATEST SAT TEXTS

Jean-Luc Van Den Heede 8 DU VENT DEPUIS CE MATIN 1RIS ET3TOURS DE GENOA.ON PROGRESSE!T

VDH..working his Genoa to death to progress I think?

Who said this race was like watching snails fight over a dead ant?

Not quite :-)   He has good breeze since this morning, 1 slab in the main and 3 turns on the furler.

Our French cousins have a way with one liners to say that they are going well : ça bouge,  ça marche, ça progresse, ça glisse. .....

Hmmm ... only a certain feathered friend mentioned ants & honey a few weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Lakrass said:

I appreciate your effort to provide us instructive reports, You really make the race interesting to follow (along with Chay). I would still like to understand how the tracker could provide such numbers and where they are coming from. For a better understanding of the leaderboard and tracker, make my own opinion before coming here and read your report and strategy situation. 

But I have a hard time understanding where the tracking numbers are coming from, especially for DFT and Distance (24h). It lloks like the distance (24h) is only a delta of DFT at 24h intervall. Then how can the DFT be reduced by more than the distance sailed (+ drift) is where I struggle.

Regarding the previous post, this was only meant to highlight the magnitude of the aberration shown by the tracker as it takes a multi in proper wind condition to reach that kind of distance over 24h.

First, there is the notion of applying basic math.  798 nm in 24 hours would yield a estimated speed of over 33 kts, average.  Unless Slatts swapped boats somewhere I doubt he pushing his Rustler 36 (low @ 27 ft) past hull speed.  Even Are's 10.1 kts is borderline suspicious though if he is surfing a lot..maybe?

Depending on where they have the waypoint set in the program, it is possible you are seeing a algorithm error or there was a glitch in the on board system that reported a set of data incorrectly leading to such a number.  More I think about it, I'd go with a data reporting issue though sadly, we do not have access to more granular data I suspect Y Tracking has in its database.The more I read Jack's posts, the more I get the feeling the infrastructure for this race was designed and built on a shoe string.

Thanks to the comments from Jack and LC I checked out some free routing programs and have tried to follow the analysis with my own behind the scenes effort.  About the only thing I trust on this tracker is their last current position.

3 minutes ago, Laser1 said:

Not quite :-)   He has good breeze since this morning, 1 slab in the main and 3 turns on the furler.

Our French cousins have a way with one liners to say that they are going well : ça bouge,  ça marche, ça progresse, ça glisse. .....

Hmmm ... only a certain feathered friend mentioned ants & honey a few weeks ago.

I seem to remember that as well....hmmmmm

According to the latest status on the tracking map, Slats has sailed 798nm VMG the last 24 hrs, which is of course not possible at a speed of 5.8 kts.

Slats complained in one of his tweets the other day about the poor battery capacity of the tracker transmitter(s). The entrants have three of those on board, 1 main, 2 in spare. So I believe one explanation for this bug might be that Slats swaps between these 3 transmitters. And if he now turns on one he hasn't used for a week or so, the system suddenly thinks he has moved very quickly from a position he was last week till where he is now.

It would make sense. My initial though was if the tracking system was not crediting Slats of enough progress and suddenly caught up, but your explanation seems more appropriate. Even if the 3 transmitters refer to the same boat, they might have different identification codes which could lure the tracking system into this situation (current tracker last used 1-2 weeks ago when Slats was ~650-700 nm away from now to which his actual displacement is added).

I remember some competitors having trackers not working at time (or voluntarily disconnecting them) during a Vendee Globe. But Slats tracking has not been off for 6-7 days! That we would have noticed.

12 minutes ago, Laser1 said:

9 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

I seem to remember that as well....hmmmmm

.. you guys are obviously subscribers of Fake News..if you scroll back I said I recall in a reply to @LeoV  it was treakle not honey and first positioned at the ceiling cornice and about now it would be level with the top of the bookcase (which it is) with the top of TV and skirting board yet to come.

Welcome to be corrected but if not, then you both get the "Trump GGR Mid Race Fake News" challenge another poster award.

He comes with a phone and  tweet account .. but please use it sparingly.

1600755711_unnamed(3).jpg.7a6e8c094e238269fd8a45e14a3aeb8f.jpg

44 minutes ago, LOK77 said:

Slats complained in one of his tweets the other day about the poor battery capacity of the tracker transmitter(s). The entrants have three of those on board, 1 main, 2 in spare. So I believe one explanation for this bug might be that Slats swaps between these 3 transmitters.

No bug  He can't interrogate anything ..main YB transmitter is fixed and not accessible to competitors. Redundancy YB incl YB3 yes they have access to and that is which he refers to about battery capacity. 

20 minutes ago, Lakrass said:

It would make sense. My initial though was if the tracking system was not crediting Slats of enough progress and suddenly caught up, but your explanation seems more appropriate.

See above.

No onboard tracker problem only you're interpretation of tracker output which is wrong but forgiven as tracker output is shit.

Until they all start going east only sailed miles over the ground and COG count. Hence my 24/48 miles over the ground as average SOG's I have been posting. 

Having regard to your posts should I bother to keep doing that?

On 7/14/2018 at 12:04 PM, jack_sparrow said:

That would be like trying to make an ant crawl over toast with honey. 

Sparrow time for some fresh bird feed.  The current batch seems to have gone orf a bit ....lol

10 minutes ago, Laser1 said:

Sparrow time for some fresh bird feed.  The current batch seems to have gone orf a bit ....lol

Quote out of context you are now the proud owner of two Trumpy dolls Laser.

The next one is the Boris Award..you won't like that.

29 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

.. you guys are obviously subscribers of Fake News..if you scroll back I said I recall in a reply to @LeoV  it was treakle not honey and first positioned at the ceiling cornice and about now it would be level with the top of the bookcase (which it is) with the top of TV and skirting board yet to come.

Welcome to be corrected but if not, then you both get the "Trump GGR Mid Race Fake News" challenge another poster award.

He comes with a phone and  tweet account .. but please use it sparingly.

1600755711_unnamed(3).jpg.7a6e8c094e238269fd8a45e14a3aeb8f.jpg

My mind will never forget that image...damn you....

and yet...a rose by any other name still smells as sweet.

Ah..and please keep the 48 hour analysis coming. 

12 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Peche 267 mile or 5.6k average;

Heede 252 mile or 5.3k average; 

Slatts 327 mile or 6.8k average

Very simply Heede unchanged doing what he does, Peche shortening the string on the old fellow and Slatts on fire, not only BS but a VMG nearly the same, noting the tracker stating it is 45k is a tad overstating his good fortune. He is not only blitzing it getting east but extended his southern seperation out to around a 100 mile. 

However as forecast last weekend the tables are going to turn suddenly today and both Heede and Peche will get to enjoy the backside of the High coming through with around 25+ and backing north through to the weekend. This will put them below 30S and with more east. Good place to be.

Slatts on the other hand is falling off the back of the High as we speak and will hit the wall with a mix of light stuff through to the weekend. He is going loose out quite badly from this system cycle.

If this occurs it will be luck for Team France not weather routing as this opportunity did not exist last weekend. Having said that subject to sea state this might be the first time in the race they will need to take it easy or we might be hearing about busted gear. 

Who said this race was like watching snails fight over a dead ant.

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

To explain I will post some graphics shortly.

Sorry took a while having to deal with the riff raff first. Forecasts are now half a day out of date but still relevant.

Firstly actual progress and what is out there having regard to the above comments.

Pic#1  macro forecast at 0000 UTC today bearing in mind model predated that by around 8 hours and positions marked. Having regard to progress today that forecast looks to be around 6 - 12 hours ahead of actual. Slatts progress today reinforces that.

Pic #2  is current forecast as at Sunday 0000 UTC with 30 south marked. After the above compression I believe the systems will accelerate and the actual weather this weekend could be different hence my comments above towards a possible slingshot happening.

Secondly to show how dynamic weather systems are at the lattitudes they are approaching and subject to large changes.

Pic #3 This is the macro forecast I posted last weekend for 0000 UTC today. Compare it to Pic #1 for today's forecast. The ball bearing Low ended up displacing the the golf ball sized High and not being displaced itself.

Pic #4 The forecast last weekend for this weekend. Compate that to Pic#2 the current forecast. The two are very similiar despite actual midweek not matching forecast. I think the same thing may happen again, hence my suggestion something may happen this weekend contrary to forecast.

I hope this provides some idea about appreciating how the weather systems operate in the postcode they are now entering and how it may produce some winners and losers over the next week at the front end.

PS. After posting just noticed Pic #3 and #4 Forecast Labels are wrong. Should read Friday PM 3 August for the 8th and 12th.

IMG_20180808_203830.jpg

IMG_20180808_203858.jpg

IMG_20180808_203928.jpg

IMG_20180808_203950.jpg

On Saturday Peche/Heede will be sitting on Jacks's magical 30 degrees when the Southerlies kick in.

On Monday they will be drawn to the centre of the next system, like flies to a lamp, but this will only last 20 Hrs because it is fast moving and going round is not an option.

Thereafter they will catch the elevator South and the systems will start overtaking like a freight train.  The difference in speed between the boats and systems is frightening looking at the animation.

Routing 8-8 pos 11-8

Routing 8-8 pos 13-8

Routing 8-8 pos 14-8

image.png.a15fde4c9412becf4d9448330086d6e2.png

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

System has stalled so Slatts still enjoying good conditions and the other two still close to on the breeze waiting for it to back so they can get a move along. Slatts might have just got another gift from above.

Interesting thread statistic ....around 600 to 700 views here per day so this race is generating some interest out there.

10 hours ago, littlechay said:

image.png.a15fde4c9412becf4d9448330086d6e2.png

Is he creating his HF land station network after leaving or is just a onboard radio problem???

Had to laugh under the rules "we can tell him what kind of weather he has in front of him, but not tell him where to go"

Maybe they just say 9 to 7 o'clock bad weather 8 o'clock good weather.

• Like 1

What would you rather do or which boat would you rather do this sort of race on? Vendee Globe IMOCA 60 or this? Obviously these boats are not rocket ships however may be more manageable and comfortable (Are they? LOL) What sort of time is it going to take to complete the race? Comparison to an IMOCA 60 Foiler would be interesting?

1 minute ago, terrafirma said:

What would you rather do or which boat would you rather do this sort of race on? Vendee Globe IMOCA 60 or this?

3 months by myself is my limit, not 8 or 9.

He is a timber boat with I imagine pretty similiar long keel underbody to the Rustler compared to a modern fat number with a fin keel in around same conditions Heede and Peche are experiencing now.

Though under/comfort canvased and reaching in the Baltic somewhere, I know which one I would rather be on simply by the motion.

images (80).jpeg

images (81).jpeg

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Is he creating his HF land station network after leaving or is just a onboard radio problem???

Had to laugh under the rules "we can tell him what kind of weather he has in front of him, but not tell him where to go"

Maybe they just say 9 to 7 o'clock bad weather 8 o'clock good weather.

That's what it sounds like to me. Shore team have worked out what the others are doing and got word to him and now they are trying to figure out how this HF shit works. 

And yea that routing without actually spelling it out stuff .. .. 

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

What would you rather do or which boat would you rather do this sort of race on? Vendee Globe IMOCA 60 or this? Obviously these boats are not rocket ships however may be more manageable and comfortable (Are they? LOL) What sort of time is it going to take to complete the race? Comparison to an IMOCA 60 Foiler would be interesting?

Well if you like rolling +/- 30 degrees downwind for four months choose one on the GGR boats. I haven't done many miles in Open 40, 50, 60s and none in heavy conditions but I reckon they would roll less and even slowing down a bit to avoid slamming they will get the run along 45 done a lot quicker, and a lot more fun on the reachy bits :) On the other hand the GGR boats, well some of them, still have a full galley so you could have an occasional Sunday roast of a can of corned beef wrapped in bacon ... a lot more Sundays on the GGR boats for the same amount of miles. If it gets really rough then having a full crew on an open 60 might be more reassuring than alone in GGR boat but if I was solo on the IMOCA60 or whatever I would be wishing I was solo on the Rustler.... hmmm

• Like 1

LATEST Sat. text from the fleet...FRENCH and ENGLISH

Peche: TOUT VA B!EN A BORD SOLENT GV 1R CA AVANCE B!EN / 
 "All good onboard solent Mainsail 1R it's going well"

Wiig: ST.HELENA IS PAST,PREPARE FOR SOUTHERNOCEAN.ALL OK / 
 "St Hélène est derrière, prêt pour l'océan austral.Tout est ok"

Lepage: A 500M DE L ILE TRINIDAD.A VOUS DE LA TROUVER! / 
 "500NM from Trinidad island. Find it!"

Heede: VBNT TRES VARIABLE EN FORCE ET DIRECTION.CA MANEUVRE CONSTAMEN / 
 "Wind very variable in strenght and direction. Constantly maneuvering"

Cousot: METIER INTERIM TOUJOURS A 45 DEGREE DE GITE MAIS ON AVANCE BI / 
 "Metier Interim still on 45 degres list but it goes well"

Tomy: When I am done with this, I am going to order a pizza. And popcorn / 
 "Quand j'en aurai fini avec ça, je vais me commander une pizza. et popcorn"

Lehtinen: SAILG LATAA VAIN 2.RYHMAA59%1.47%,ANTANUTHERJAN BAD BATT CONNE

McGuckin: LIGHT WINDS AND LUMPY SEA.HARD WORK. GOODBYE TRADE WINDS!L  / 
 "Faibles vents et mer agitée. dur travail. au revoir les alizés!L"

Randmaa: HEADING STILL TO SOUTH. ALL OK.  / 
 "Toujours en route vers le sud. Tout est OK."

Tomy: MY REGRDS 2 CAPT JACOB WHO SENT HIS HELLO THRU ARE AND UKU.CU  / 
 " Mes salutations au CAPT JACOB qui a envoyé son bonjour par ARE et UKU.CU"

Slats: ALL GOOD PLENTY RAIN HERE WATERTANK FULL TAKING BATH IN CPIT /
 " Tout va bien plein de pluie ici la réserve d'eau est remplie bain dans cockpit"

Susie missed another one???? 

Big and heavy is nice at sea, small and light is nice coming into a marina, until tied up, when big comes into its own again.

There are limits.

Lightweight race boats can be surprisingly comfortable at sea (well, it's surprised me a few times) but they're lively.  Shape has a more to do with it, flat entry being pretty disturbing.

Most of my sailing has been on clunky cruising boats, often with dead engines, no / failed autopilot, rattling stern bearings, loose rudders.  I found that uncomfortable.

1 hour ago, harrygee said:

Big and heavy is nice at sea, small and light is nice coming into a marina, until tied up, when big comes into its own again.

Having sailed both I have to disagree, The lighter boat is not smaller but built of lighter materials and normally have more internal space. In large seas he lighter boat gets moved out of the way easier and is thus drier.

7 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

LATEST Sat. text from the fleet...FRENCH and ENGLISH

Peche: TOUT VA B!EN A BORD SOLENT GV 1R CA AVANCE B!EN / 
 "All good onboard solent Mainsail 1R it's going well"

Wiig: ST.HELENA IS PAST,PREPARE FOR SOUTHERNOCEAN.ALL OK / 
 "St Hélène est derrière, prêt pour l'océan austral.Tout est ok"

Lepage: A 500M DE L ILE TRINIDAD.A VOUS DE LA TROUVER! / 
 "500NM from Trinidad island. Find it!"

Heede: VBNT TRES VARIABLE EN FORCE ET DIRECTION.CA MANEUVRE CONSTAMEN / 
 "Wind very variable in strenght and direction. Constantly maneuvering"

Cousot: METIER INTERIM TOUJOURS A 45 DEGREE DE GITE MAIS ON AVANCE BI / 
 "Metier Interim still on 45 degres list but it goes well"

Tomy: When I am done with this, I am going to order a pizza. And popcorn / 
 "Quand j'en aurai fini avec ça, je vais me commander une pizza. et popcorn"

Lehtinen: SAILG LATAA VAIN 2.RYHMAA59%1.47%,ANTANUTHERJAN BAD BATT CONNE

McGuckin: LIGHT WINDS AND LUMPY SEA.HARD WORK. GOODBYE TRADE WINDS!L  / 
 "Faibles vents et mer agitée. dur travail. au revoir les alizés!L"

Randmaa: HEADING STILL TO SOUTH. ALL OK.  / 
 "Toujours en route vers le sud. Tout est OK."

Tomy: MY REGRDS 2 CAPT JACOB WHO SENT HIS HELLO THRU ARE AND UKU.CU  / 
 " Mes salutations au CAPT JACOB qui a envoyé son bonjour par ARE et UKU.CU"

Slats: ALL GOOD PLENTY RAIN HERE WATERTANK FULL TAKING BATH IN CPIT /
 " Tout va bien plein de pluie ici la réserve d'eau est remplie bain dans cockpit"

Susie missed another one???? 

I noticed that as well.  She is beginning her angle to the east and if the magical point is half way between Cape Hope and the top of the Ice line then she's got a line along with Heed and Peche. 

16 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

I noticed that as well.  She is beginning her angle to the east and if the magical point is half way between Cape Hope and the top of the Ice line then she's got a line along with Heed and Peche. 

Bucc, don't really get what you say there.  She's well over 500Nm behind the Frogs + she let the others in on the inside.

Once the leaders are on the elevator South she'll be sailing in a different system/weather pattern.

His barometer was from the pub.  "Good day for a Guiness". RNJ.

9 hours ago, spyderpig said:

Having sailed both I have to disagree, The lighter boat is not smaller but built of lighter materials and normally have more internal space. In large seas he lighter boat gets moved out of the way easier and is thus drier.

The question comes down to:  Do you want to be "in" the ocean, or "on" the ocean.  I'd prefer to be "on" the ocean.

2 hours ago, Laser1 said:

Bucc, don't really get what you say there.  She's well over 500Nm behind the Frogs + she let the others in on the inside.

Once the leaders are on the elevator South she'll be sailing in a different system/weather pattern.

AH...I look at this as two (maybe three) races at the moment, the front two, the pack led either by Susie or Are, and those that went way west.  I've been watching/waiting for Susie to start to translate some of the southerly direction more towards the east and she has.  It would seem she waited too long and those east of her may roll over the top (in a macro way).  However when I move a day ahead from a Windyty model she may skirt around a high that those east may run right into which will help her out.

Peche and Heede are sailing a completely different level of racing and it has been a learning experience as I play with FreeSea and pull in analysis from LC and Jack.  I'm still taking Heede to cross the imaginary line past CH first.

1 minute ago, Left Shift said:

The question comes down to:  Do you want to be "in" the ocean, or "on" the ocean.  I'd prefer to be "on" the ocean.

I think Tapio may have chosen option three, under the ocean given his freeboard.

1 minute ago, bucc5062 said:

I think Tapio may have chosen option three, under the ocean given his freeboard.

He might be auditioning for a position on a VOR-65.  But then again, he may not get back in time to sign up for the 2021 race.

• Like 1

If you sail a Class 40 , they only suck upwind, but if you go the speeds the Rustlers do upwind, it is almost comfy.

Here are a couple of forecast positions for 5 days time and 10 days time. Waypoint at about 43 South north of Prince Edward Island

Very normal looking South Atlantic at the moment :)

Slats will make up some ground on the traditional route.

The Frenchies up front remain joined at the hip.

The Suzi, Wig, Tapio group are forecast to be neck a neck at CGH

1851846496_15Aug.thumb.jpg.97969d12f96ddbdc4d21a00e96bfabd9.jpg

1421118515_20Aug.thumb.jpg.d006990c9930b89e1704c762d6ea1a72.jpg

Peche 280 mile or 5.8k average;

Heede 288 mile or 6.0k average; 

Slatts 268 mile or 5.6k average.

Slatts monster run came to a close later than forecast on account the system slowed so he produced a far better run than predicted. Conversely Peche and Heede took a bit longer to get into the next gear so while good they have no chance of repeating Slatts numbers since the weekend. So Slatts has got  quite an unexpected win on both counts of them and me.

However he has spent the last half day going pretty slow and the only respite possibly headwinds over the weekend.

Peche and Heede may either get a reasonable ride or headwinds too this weekend, a bit hard to tell.

The interesting thing about those two is they might suddenly have a different Cape rounding approach. You would expect at the top of the High Heede further east and north would be in a easterly flow while Peche further south and west in a NE maybe even northerly flow. Therefore you would expect Heede to be the one going more south and Peche taking the opportunity to get some easy eastern miles in.

However it is the exact opposite with Peche the one diving south. Won't take long to see if this is indeed happening or just a case of local weather differences. If it is happening then Peche is a subscriber to the get below 30S quickly approach.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, spyderpig said:

Well, fancy that, we disagree.

We probably sail different boats, which accounts for the diversity we see when we look around.

My informed opinion is that big and heavy is nice at sea.

How about opening a can of worms and pontificating on the ideal dinghy.

All said with a smile.

Cheers

8 hours ago, bucc5062 said:

I've been watching/waiting for Susie to start to translate some of the southerly direction more towards the east and she has

Unfortunately the easting I promised you for Suzie didn't materialise on account of the significant system stall referred to above so she will now just have to bide her time and wait for her lucky break.

20 minutes ago, harrygee said:

My informed opinion is that big and heavy is nice at sea.

Yes ploughing upwind is a lot nicer than crashing, but rolling and ploughing off the wind is not so nice. 5 Capes of the latter is a long way. Unfortunately Rules of Race preclude a gimbled cabin :-)

11 hours ago, littlechay said:

The Suzi, Wig, Tapio group are forecast to be neck a neck at CGH

Gregor might well join them as well. According to your routing he doesn't seem far off the rest of the group.

Slats needs a bit more fortune to get back in touch with the leading two.

Great to see all boats going well after the hiccups following the start, no serious incident reported for a while. Few equipment lost but nothing race stopping and still a decent fleet with battles in different groups, probably as good as one could expect at the start.

17 minutes ago, Lakrass said:

Great to see all boats going well after the hiccups following the start, no serious incident reported for a while. Few equipment lost but nothing race stopping and still a decent fleet with battles in different groups, probably as good as one could expect at the start.

Lak it is actually closer for the front half of the fleet than I expected, which is testimony to how keen that group are to do well, not just be a competitor. 

I always imagined Peche, Heede and Slatts to be where they are. That all said once they all turn the corner the dynamics change enormously. It will be spread between those who can sail quick using the minimum sailed miles but staying in one piece versus those that stay in one piece but using the foetal position when things get tough.

It then becomes little different to any RTW Race regardless of platform, save for this crowd can generally neither escape from or profit from weather by plan.

29 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

using the foetal position when things get tough.

I resemble that remark.

53 minutes ago, Lakrass said:

regor might well join them as well. According to your routing he doesn't seem far off the rest of the group.

Hopefully a Tracker glitch as he appears to be going backwards at present. Wind show little to no wind where he is.

40 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I always imagined Peche, Heede and Slatts to be where they are. That all said once they all turn the corner the dynamics change enormously. It will be spread between those who can sail quick using the minimum sailed miles but staying in one piece versus those that stay in one piece but using the foetal position when things get tough.

10 minutes ago, spyderpig said:

I resemble that remark.

I feel like I should resemble that remark, it's what I want to do, but I know it is almost always better to push on and actively steer and drive than curl up in a ball and wait for it to end :)