QBF

The 2018 Golden Globe Race

Recommended Posts

For the drinkers in SA...

Skipper Gregor McGuckin is taking this barrel of Glendalough single malt around the world, to be sold at a later date.

Glendalough.thumb.jpg.3b5d58496c30b7a2dbed40a9984aca22.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tip and Shaft also managed to get some numbers about the costs of the race. (machine trans). 

Quote

# 1 HOW DON McINTYRE HAS SUCCESSFULLY ORGANIZED THE GOLDEN GLOBE RACE 

The start of the Golden Globe Race , organized 50 years after the original Golden Globe , the first race around the world alone won by Robin Knox-Johnston in 313 days, will be given on July 1 of Les Sables d'Olonne. 18 skippers will race for an old-fashioned nonstop world tour - without electronics or autopilots - on "long keel" monohulls from 32 to 36 feet. A test mounted not without difficulties by the Australian Don McIntyre . Tip & Shaft tells you how. 

Launched in 2015, the Golden Globe Race quickly attracted the interest of many sailors. If it was originally to leave Plymouth , it will finally borrow the Vendée Globe the same port of departure and arrival. Why Les Sables d'Olonne? "Because of the total lack of support in Britain where there was no passion or enthusiasm for the Golden Globe Race," says organizer Don McIntyre, " people have had a hard time seeing the potential of the race." . 

This is Jean-Luc Van den Heede - one of the favorites of the event and former Boc Challenge, as McIntyre - which puts him in touch with Yannick Moreau , president (LR) Sables d'Olonne Agglomeration which brings together seven Vendée towns. The mayor of Olonne-sur-Mer, former MP, long close to Philippe de Villiers (he even worked on the Vendée Globe at his side), is positioned at first for the next edition, in 2022, before discussing Following the withdrawal of Plymouth in June 2017, plans to repatriate the Vendée race. The two parties finally get along last fall. 

The budget of this Golden Globe Race is far from the 6 to 10 million euros that Don McIntyre hoped for a year ago ( see our article ): according to the organizer, it amounts to about "2.5 million euros ". Including "1 million Australian dollars" (630,000 euros) assumed directly by the person concerned, via his company McIntyre Adventure. " I put in the race half of what I own , I did not pay in four years," he says. The agglomeration of Sablaise brings on its side 250 000 euros : "150 000 euros of public money and 100 000 euros of private money that the agglomeration was going to get for the organizer" , details Yannick Moreau. It also provides offices (for a year), the pontoon and the Place Vendée Globe, a media center and a village. 

Wishing to "give this event the scale it deserves" , the Vendée local authority has pushed to raise an additional 500,000 euros from private and institutional partners (PRB, SAUR, Groupe Dubreuil, Urbaser Environnement, the department of the Vendée, the Pays de la Loire region ...). An operation conducted in an original way via the endowment fund Cap to the Maritime Adventure - created in 2016 to finance the exhibition The Adventurers of the Ocean - which allows corporate sponsors to benefit from a tax reduction up to 60% of their payment . The sum was used to "fund all the events on the ground" , including the official evening of June 23, the animation of the village, the TV production for the live broadcast of the departure (on France 3 Pays de la Loire, Tébéo, Tébésud , the channel L'Equipe, TV Vendée). 

In terms of human resources, McIntyre was surrounded by a narrower team of nine providers , helped by about 300 local volunteers. The race director, Patrice Carpentier , says of the Australian: "He puts a crazy energy, it's his thing, he intervenes at all levels: before the parade in Falmouth, he was even there to stream the boats!" . 

An energy that also had to be deployed to fight with the FFVoile , first , who, through his vice-president Henry Bacchini, did not want to give his guarantee to the GGR. Next to the maritime prefecture, which finally gave a favorable opinion at the start of the race, despite the absence of federal blankets. "I do not understand that the French Sailing Federation did not have a positive word about an adventure like this, regrets Yannick Moreau, I deplore their lack of openness . " At the FFV, Henry Bacchini believes that the race does not comply with the RSO (mandatory safety rules) of World Sailing . And for good reason: the Royal Namuka Yacht Club , "host club of the race", is installed in Tonga, country whose federation is not affiliated with the international federation of sailing. "It is good to want to sail like fifty years ago, but the world has changed, and I find it surprising that a former parliamentarian, who has been a legislator, departs from national and international legislation . " And the Vice President of the FFV slip: "And we found that doing this race in Sands blurs the image of the city compared to the Vendée Globe". 

That does not worry the organizers Sablais, who saw 9 000 visitors frequent the village during the presentation of the skippers the first weekend of opening and expect 100,000 people for the departure. Yannick Moreau believes instead that the two events are "complementary and not competing at all" : "The Vendée Globe is a bit like the 24 Hours of Le Mans, while the Golden Globe Race is Le Mans Classic " . And the elected to add: "We have not so far found really important intermediate events, both sporting, media and international.The Golden Globe Race meets these needs, including a plateau very international " . So much so that the agglomeration has already announced its intention, if all goes well, to host the second edition, scheduled for 2022. "Les Sables d'Olonne have an option, other regions from France and other countries are also interested,   Don McIntyre. We will make a decision in December 2019. "

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=auto&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fus12.campaign-archive.com%2F%3Fu%3D1e692787e2c4cc3370813fca1%26id%3D2149c9b096%26e%3D3854e9c80a&sandbox=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

^^^^ Whisky promotion and yachting have always ended up in tears for some reason. The last one from memory.

 https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.smh.com.au/business/whisky-funding-scheme-run-by-bankrupt-keith-batt-who-owes-16-million-20160205-gmmb4f.html

I believe Sir RKJ has been sponsored by a single malt whiskey for some time now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sir Robin Knox-Johnston getting it on with Jean Luc Van den Heede and his band

 

And here is Susie Goodall ripping with Jean Luc Van den Heede

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Author and sailor Jimmy Cornell, flew to the Golden Globe race office to generously gift all of the GGR skippers with a copy of his Cornell's Ocean Atlas.

454823956_JimmyCornell.thumb.jpg.df70b3dbf1358f8cfa277bcf72a84e10.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

^^ I though the rules were all navigation publications had to be in black and white or sepia???

I'm not sure where you saw that...

Sailing like it’s 1968

As a RETRO Race, for the Golden Globe, generally speaking only equipment that was available to Robin Knox Johnston on Suhaili in 1968 may be used. That means NO GPS, Chart plotters, electronic wind instruments, electric autopilots, electronic log, iPhone, satellite phones, digital cameras, computers, cd players, pocket calculators electronic clocks and watches, water makers, carbon fibre, Kevlar, spectra etc… so it is back to film cameras, cassette tapes, sextants, wind up clocks, trailing logs and Dacron sails, wind vanes and typewriters.

Don McIntyre

They will be navigating with sextant on paper charts, without electronic instruments or autopilots. They will hand–write their logs, cook with kerosene and determine the weather for themselves. Only occasionally will they talk to loved ones and the outside world when long-range high frequency and ham radios allowed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When have you ever seen the skippers of the Vendee Globe, Volvo Ocean Race, or any of the other long-distance races having this much fun together?

215038455_OlonnoisBoatRace.1.thumb.jpg.3968be835404d9a235d6f25c52e6093b.jpg

Skippers raced each other aboard 'Olonnois' boats in front of Les Sables d'Olonne yesterday - each GGR skipper was paired with an Olonnois boat and their owner, for a fun race around the buoys. Jean-Luc van den Heede first place, Susie Goodall second & Istvan Kopar third place.

868341712_OlonnoisBoatRace.3.thumb.jpg.fc3ea7d631bc88ca2afb9541b60c5f42.jpg

Here is a link to all the photo's of the Olonnois boat race.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/162765503@N04/sets/72157668410402057

1243797097_OlonnoisBoatRaceWinners.thumb.jpg.ea8394ee1fd461e63bfc6fd2f7aa74bf.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eric Tabarly's boats have started to arrive in Les Sables d'Olonne to celebrate the 2018 Golden Globe Race.

So far, Pen Duick II, Pen Duick V, and Pen Duick VI are at the dock .

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2018 at 7:03 AM, LeoV said:

Or maybe go really old school receive the positions weekly by fax only.

Fax machines really didnt emerge until the 1970s, so they would be illegal.

Xeros made a forerunner of the fax machine in 1966 but it weighed 40+ lbs and could send one page of a letter in around 6 minutes. It didnt exactly gain a market.  Up to date news was sent by telex or telegram.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fax machine dates to 1843. Western Union had a commercial fax operation nation wide in the States in the 1920s.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

Fax machines really didnt emerge until the 1970s, so they would be illegal.

Xeros made a forerunner of the fax machine in 1966 but it weighed 40+ lbs and could send one page of a letter in around 6 minutes. It didnt exactly gain a market.  Up to date news was sent by telex or telegram.

Radiofax is old, it was used during world war 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a video tour of the Golden Globe 2018 village.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2018 at 3:35 PM, QBF said:

Author and sailor Jimmy Cornell, flew to the Golden Globe race office to generously gift all of the GGR skippers with a copy of his Cornell's Ocean Atlas.

454823956_JimmyCornell.thumb.jpg.df70b3dbf1358f8cfa277bcf72a84e10.jpg

Wasn't that printed after 1968!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interview with skipper Mark Slats (English & French)

 

Interview with skipper Antoine Cousot (French)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't realise but they are allowed to motor. It's really weird rules, why would you allow to motor during a sailing race?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Panoramix said:

I didn't realise but they are allowed to motor. It's really weird rules, why would you allow to motor during a sailing race?

Otherwise some would take an half year to cross the doldrums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Panoramix said:

I didn't realise but they are allowed to motor. It's really weird rules, why would you allow to motor during a sailing race?

 

14 hours ago, LeoV said:

Otherwise some would take an half year to cross the doldrums.

Sailing is quicker in these clunkers unless no breeze..as Leo suggests we will all be dead waiting for outcome otherwise.

I haven't checked the original GGR rules but I suspect back then no one really cared if the prop was engaged when charging batteries bearing in mind fuel supply wasn't huge..good for loading up the motor as the toy alternators they had couldn't and so with prop load, their baby diesel engines didn't say goodbye before they finished.

Sounds like a race authentic rule replication.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much fuel are they allowed to bring ? Can not find it inn the rules, nothing about storage or fuel tanks capacity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, LeoV said:

Otherwise some would take an half year to cross the doldrums.

I don't know about suhaili but Joshua didn't have a propeller and managed to cross the doldrums. IMHO having them to dive before the start to remove the propeller would have been more into the spirit of the race. If you are masochistic enough to film with a super 8 camera, you can sail without engine IMHO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LeoV said:

How much fuel are they allowed to bring ? Can not find it inn the rules, nothing about storage or fuel tanks capacity.

Leo the energy storage secret may be in the form of methane/food source and the cans of baked beans they have on board??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2018 at 7:35 AM, QBF said:

Author and sailor Jimmy Cornell, flew to the Golden Globe race office to generously gift all of the GGR skippers with a copy of his Cornell's Ocean Atlas.

454823956_JimmyCornell.thumb.jpg.df70b3dbf1358f8cfa277bcf72a84e10.jpg

Did they get the 1968 version?  

This race is stupid.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2018 at 5:13 AM, jack_sparrow said:

Telex was still in widespread use in early 80's

I’d expect nothing less from the Aussies, probably still in use in some places. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mad said:

I’d expect nothing less from the Aussies, probably still in use in some places. :P

Mad is Maryland  in Aust? You can still send a telegram in a lot of places incl GB I think. An Imarsat C Terminal is telex.

I believe Australia has the worlds highest percentage of technology early adopters and lots of developing countries sit ahead of many European countries and the USA, the latter is nearer to the bottom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is some of Susie Goodall's food supply for the race. No freeze-dried food here!

587321549_AweightpenaltyforSusieGoodallbutNOplastic.jpg.7507dab9934f4eb4dab5e7a6df358728.jpg

 

An Interview with skipper Nabil Amra (Palestine)

i

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Did they get the 1968 version?  

This race is stupid.

There are skippers in the 2018 GGR that have far more ocean experience than anyone on Sailing Anarchy. Yet, some posters in this thread don't seem to think they know what they are doing...

For those who don't like this race, and prefer to criticize it, here is a contact link to the GGR organizers. Write them and tell them why you think their race shouldn't exist; maybe they'll cancel it.
http://goldengloberace.com/contact

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, QBF said:

Here is some of Susie Goodall's food supply for the race. No freeze-dried food here!

587321549_AweightpenaltyforSusieGoodallbutNOplastic.jpg.7507dab9934f4eb4dab5e7a6df358728.jpg

 

 

 

That's got to bloody heavy and potentially scary in a knock down if they are not stowed really well. But beats freeze dried anyday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your can not use a watermaker, freeze dried does not save weight, except the package. She could have canned them. This glass is scary.
looks like 15 choices, so twice a month the same, no bad, that is luxury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Putting first things first, skipper Igor Zaretskiy's boat Esmeralda is fully loaded for his circumnavigation with 600-packs of cigarettes!


Gipsy Moth IV arrives at the 2018 GGR village

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, LeoV said:

If your can not use a watermaker, freeze dried does not save weight, except the package. She could have canned them. This glass is scary.
looks like 15 choices, so twice a month the same, no bad, that is luxury.

Good point, I haven’t looked at rules. No water makers allowed? 

Strangely enough, always taught as a very young kid, No glass on boats. You could be clearing up or finding bits of that for weeks. Along with a load of food that is useless. 

Strange choice really. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The following are typical things NOT allowed. GPS, radar, AIS, chart
plotters and electronic charts, electronic wind instruments, electric autopilots,
electronic log, mobile phone, iPhone, iPod, Kindle or any computer based device,
CD players, electronic watches/clocks, video cameras and electronic digital cameras,
satellite equipment of any kind, digital binoculars, pocket scientific calculators,
electronic clocks or watches, water-maker, carbon fibre, Spectra, Kevlar, Vectron,
any high-tech materials etc, Rod rigging. If in doubt about any piece of equipment
being approved or banned, the entrant should seek immediate clarification from
The Organiser.
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, QBF said:

Here is some of Susie Goodall's food supply for the race. No freeze-dried food here!

587321549_AweightpenaltyforSusieGoodallbutNOplastic.jpg.7507dab9934f4eb4dab5e7a6df358728.jpg

 

I have a feeling she'll be scraping her meals out of the bilge for the 2nd half of the voyage. Why glass? Rust concerns? surely they can paint or otherwise coat steel cans with something.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doubt she's using glass. We use the plastic/acrylic ones on-board and ashore. Great air-moisture-and-insect tight storage, especially since ours can be operated one-handed, just using the thumb to flick open and close.

E.g. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Clear-Plastic-food-storage-airtight-container_60326440724.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mark Set said:

I have a feeling she'll be scraping her meals out of the bilge for the 2nd half of the voyage. Why glass? Rust concerns? surely they can paint or otherwise coat steel cans with something.

Those are kilner jars.  Excellent for preservation and preventing food poisoning.  I believe they are hot filled by the home cook and the cooling process creates a vacuum that makes the content last a very long time.  Look it up.

@ Stief, Yes they are glass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much are people going to pay for an empty barrel of whiskey that’s been around the world? Strange.

On 6/22/2018 at 6:18 AM, QBF said:

For the drinkers in SA...

Skipper Gregor McGuckin is taking this barrel of Glendalough single malt around the world, to be sold at a later date.

Glendalough.thumb.jpg.3b5d58496c30b7a2dbed40a9984aca22.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Laser1 said:

Those are kilner jars.  Excellent for preservation and preventing food poisoning.  I believe they are hot filled by the home cook and the cooling process creates a vacuum that makes the content last a very long time.  Look it up.

@ Stief, Yes they are glass.

Wouldn't be surprised if she's using something like old-school  pickling jars, but  just curious (too busy to write and ask her shore support), how do you know they are glass?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Laser1 said:

Those are kilner jars.  Excellent for preservation and preventing food poisoning. 

^^ This and preserving jars are pretty bullet proof on account they are designed for high heat and reuse. In fact with seal replacement not uncommon to see them passed down a few generations. She might also have a thing about tinned food, allegeries etc. I would be pulling alongside around dinner time and saying hi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Mark Set said:

Those jars are $14 each on Amazon, quite the expense for a few hundred of them! https://www.amazon.com/Kilner-Round-Clip-Top-51-Fl/dp/B004L51AEA?th=1

I thought they might be made of durable borosilicate glass but it doesnt say that anaywhere. Just plain old glass jars bouncing against each other in a locker.

I have several and they’re a lot less to buy than that, it would be a great marketing opportunity for them to heavily discount or just gift them. 

Just seen the first DHL advert this evening for her as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stief said:

Doubt she's using glass. We use the plastic/acrylic ones on-board and ashore. Great air-moisture-and-insect tight storage, especially since ours can be operated one-handed, just using the thumb to flick open and close.

E.g. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Clear-Plastic-food-storage-airtight-container_60326440724.html

Toss them away,  IF they are not food approved, and IF they are approved, check if the approval is not fake.
Friend of mine works in that sector and talked with me about that, his home no anti stick pans, no plastic food containers even if approved,
He knows what is in them and what leaks out. Stick to glass for food.

THey seems way overpriced overthere;
https://www.bol.com/nl/l/weckpotten/N/12008/

Check your Ikea, 3 Euro a piece.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LeoV said:

Toss them away,  IF they are not food approved, and IF they are approved, check if the approval is not fake.
Friend of mine works in that sector and talked with me about that, his home no anti stick pans, no plastic food containers even if approved,
He knows what is in them and what leaks out. Stick to glass for food.

THey seems way overpriced overthere;
https://www.bol.com/nl/l/weckpotten/N/12008/

Check your Ikea, 3 Euro a piece.

Right. We use them for dried foods, and I don't think they were the Alibaba ones. 

Sheesh. Can't believe we are actually discussing food preparation in Ocean Racing Anarchy! Hilarious, but apt for this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No way, food is the most talked aspect over in a long distance trip, but they can only talk when in VHF range. Better have the best food to boast in the talks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, LeoV said:

No way, food is the most talked aspect over in a long distance trip, but they can only talk when in VHF range. Better have the best food to boast in the talks.

Haha. Yep. My favourite is to boil the spaghetti in offshore sea-water, eat out of the pot, and then use the hot water for the dishes. Worked great to conserve the fresh water. 

(miserable failure when I tried it with Kraft mac-and-cheese, though. Had to feed the fish the one time I tried that)

/end drift: chores await)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JoeBleaux said:

How much are people going to pay for an empty barrel of whiskey that’s been around the world? Strange.

And even if it did last the distance, will it be any good?

Mind you, there are some drinks which do improve if you can leave them alone long enough:

http://linie.com/explore-linie-aquavit/

 

A8C5489E-3612-4277-99BF-9D618797F12B.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks SX.

That puts it in perspective, though they're attempting a totally different challenge from the big multis.

Gabart's record run is just mind-boggling.

The GG sailors will be out there for a helluva long time and they're going to get hammered at some point but it's a challenge that many of us will be able to relate to.

Few of us could imagine ourselves circling the globe at crazy speeds while catching a nap.

Bring on the race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not everyone is completely relying on fresh or canned food...

Philippe Péché

1267195570_PhilippePch.thumb.jpg.ea513a04a10de47f419dd5a1470581f2.jpg

 

Are Wiig

385727823_AreWiig.jpg.0a4f3706e50ce38d70cf759ce5adfba2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice article on Commander Tomy

Who says one time is enough? Cdr Tomy prepares for second solo circumnavigation

Not satisfied with circumnavigating the globe solo the first time, Commander (Cdr) Abhilash Tomy is getting ready for his second circumnavigation as part of the Golden Globe Race (GGR).

The 30,000-mile race will begin on July 1, and see 18 other skippers compete to sail around the world in a non-motorised sailboat. Cdr Tomy of the Indian Navy is a special invitee at the race. He had first circumnavigated the globe in 2012-13, becoming the first Indian to achieve the feat by sailing for 151 days on INS Mhadei.

The Golden Globe Race is being held to commemorate 50 years since it was last held, for the first and only time when Sir Robin Knox-Johnston completed the voyage in 312 days becoming the first human to finish solo, unassisted and non-stop circumnavigation of the world.


To read the rest of the article, click the following link

https://www.ibtimes.co.in/who-says-one-time-enough-commander-tomy-prepares-second-solo-circumnavigation-773346

1860469766_ThuriyatheboatbeingusedbyCrd.AbhilashTomy.jpg.4177cde74f64311d32d76ec95de48816.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Seahorse Magazine

The Golden Globe Race Village in Les Sables d’Olonne is buzzing with activity as 18 skippers and their teams from 13 countries work feverishly to be ready for the Noon start on Sunday.

Fifty years ago fellow Italian Alex Carozo, one of the nine starters in the original Sunday Times Golden Globe Race faced a similar problem with his boat and sat on a mooring in isolation for 5 days after the start deadline, completing his preparations. Carozo, now 86, arrives in town on Thursday and will undoubtedly be rolling up his shirtsleeves to help. But Cappelletti has help aplenty. Six apprentices from the local Tabarly professional boatbuilding college have already volunteered their services and other locals are providing moral support. It is time that is not on Cappelletti’s side. All competitors have until Noon on Friday to pass their safety inspections or they miss Sunday’s start.


Competitors still to pass safety inspections:
Note: Some of these skippers have received their Green Cards to officially race. The skippers that today I saw on the GGR website that have received their green cards have a strike-though in their names. Unfortunately, the GGR website does not have an official list of those who have been OK'd to race, and those who are still waiting for their green card.

  • Mark Slats (NED) Rustler 36 Ohpen Maverick
  • Are Wiig (DEN) OE 32 Olleanna
  • Uku Randmaa (EST) Rustler 36 One and All
  • Tapio Lehtinen (FIN) Gaia 36 Asteria
  • Igor Zaretskiy (RUS) Endurance 35 Esmeralda
  • Istvan Kopar (USA) Tradewind 35 Puffin
  • Loïc Lepage (FRA) Nicholson 32 Laaland
  • Francesco Cappelletti (ITI) Endurance 35 007


https://eurosailnews.com/past-issues/2209-scuttlebutt-europe-4122-28-june

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, QBF said:

Not everyone is completely relying on fresh or canned food...

Philippe Péché

1267195570_PhilippePch.thumb.jpg.ea513a04a10de47f419dd5a1470581f2.jpg

 

Are Wiig

385727823_AreWiig.jpg.0a4f3706e50ce38d70cf759ce5adfba2.jpg

Seems the cans and glass jar sterilisation brigade didn't realise to hydrate freeze dried all you need is water....fair bit of it around particularly if you don't mind a touch of salt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, without a water maker/desalinator, how are the boats going to have enough fresh water to last them for the length of this voyage? Gathering floating ice from calving glaciers? Catching rainwater?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Seems the cans and glass jar sterilisation brigade didn't realise to hydrate freeze dried all you need is water....fair bit of it around particularly if you don't mind a touch of salt.

Is there non salted freeze dried stuff already on the market ? AGGR special...
To much salt aint going to work, watch your kidneys. But a quart to half aint bad.
Had a salt water coffee once, you need a lot of sugar to make it palatable... And I drink black no sugar normally.

If you cook smartly, clean up smartly, 1.5 liter a day can be enough. 300 days, only 450 L, so take 600 and hope on some rain.
But fresh, no not after a day. Thats why rainwater was highly praised.
They are not hard boats to sail, they will sleep for hours without moving a  muscle, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, despacio avenue said:

Catching rainwater

Yep and jump up into the fold of the reefed main and have the world's best spa bath. Better than sex.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LeoV said:

Is there non salted freeze dried stuff already on the market ? AGGR special...
To much salt aint going to work, watch your kidneys. But a quart to half aint bad.
Had a salt water coffee once, you need a lot of sugar to make it palatable... And I drink black no sugar normally.

If you cook smartly, clean up smartly, 1.5 liter a day can be enough. 300 days, only 450 L, so take 600 and hope on some rain.
But fresh, no not after a day. Thats why rainwater was highly praised.
They are not hard boats to sail, they will sleep for hours without moving a  muscle, 

Cooking anything with sea water makes them taste terrible. And not only are there potential kidney problems, but it can make you sick.  And I was thinking not just of water for cooking, but drinking water.  Thinking of how to design a method of collecting rainwater on a sailboat that would be effective in rough seas, and not vulnerable to evaporation.  GoIng ashore to find a freshwater stream, as we do, is not feasible in this race. 

And then there is the trash (less so with the glass containers, but they ned to be washed and, as pointed out, carefully packed).  Reusable burn bags probably not allowed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Seems the cans and glass jar sterilisation brigade didn't realise to hydrate freeze dried all you need is water....fair bit of it around particularly if you don't mind a touch of salt.

Like the gas jars, the cans are going going to be a to of weight. Presumably they will pack the stuff in rubber containers, Otherwise, soggy cardboard, paper in the big pump situation redux. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Cooking anything with sea water makes them taste terrible

On the "Acceptable Index" for this race I place an overtake of sodium around a 2. If one likes more salt than others then maybe a 6.

That all said I would be rafting up with the "glass girl" around dinner time. If not with her then the one who has 84 vacumed packed spatchcocks on board. My guess is they are French.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, QBF said:

Abhilash Tomy is BIG news in India right now with all the major news outlets covering his story..that is 10's of millions

https://english.manoramaonline.com/news/nation/2018/06/28/this-sailor-holds-secrets-of-all-seas.html

Nice find. Had to laugh at this passage. Sounds like his sense of humour will spice up his reports, and be a good way to hook many mums into following  the race. Wonder how many of them are or will become Anarchists.

Quote

Cdr Tomy says his mother had come to know about the GGR from an article in Malayala Manorama daily.

“I remember it was on a Tuesday that she learnt about it from Manorama last year. I knew she would be furious. That’s why I did not tell her about my plans in advance. At the end of the day she’s like every mother,” he laughs.

His mother is a little worried, but her reaction wasn’t as extreme as the last time he had gone sailing around the globe. “I am sure she will be proud when I hit the shores on my return,” he grins.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely most problems, be they food, water, nav or anything else have already been solved? 

Its not like this is uncharted territory, unless people have forgotten about all those books we read in the 60's and 70's?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Surely most problems, be they food, water, nav or anything else have already been solved? 

Its not like this is uncharted territory, unless people have forgotten about all those books we read in the 60's and 70's?

 

So,  are the sailors required to wear wool long johns and wool pants under their "hi-tech" plastic Line 7 or Helly Hansen gear and freeze their asses off all the way around?  Or do they get to wear the nice breathable gear that Tomy is modeling?  

Where does stupidity stop?

 

On 6/28/2018 at 9:05 AM, LeoV said:

The following are typical things NOT allowed. GPS, radar, AIS, chart
plotters and electronic charts, electronic wind instruments, electric autopilots,
electronic log, mobile phone, iPhone, iPod, Kindle or any computer based device,
CD players, electronic watches/clocks, video cameras and electronic digital cameras,
satellite equipment of any kind, digital binoculars, pocket scientific calculators,
electronic clocks or watches, water-maker, carbon fibre, Spectra, Kevlar, Vectron,
any high-tech materials etc, Rod rigging. If in doubt about any piece of equipment
being approved or banned, the entrant should seek immediate clarification from
The Organiser .
 

Weren't these items available in 1968?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

Weren't these items available in 1968?

Available is not just the test. For example electronic logs were and with a very simple archaic computer or scientific calculator  you could electronically compute Dead Reakoning positions. However all forms of computation were banned in competition under RORC rules back then. 

That said the electrictronic compass I don't think came into production until post 1968. That and the printed circuit board then heralded the introduction in the 70's of wind instruments we see today. One of the earliest marine instrument makers was Kenyon from the US followed by B&G in England in the 50's/60's who pioneered sailboat size friendly radio direction finders.

Rod rigging and small watermakers are 1970's inventions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

So,  are the sailors required to wear wool long johns and wool pants under their "hi-tech" plastic Line 7 or Helly Hansen gear and freeze their asses off all the way around?  Or do they get to wear the nice breathable gear that Tomy is modeling?  

Where does stupidity stop?

 

Weren't these items available in 1968?

Why is it stupid? This race isn't that far removed from hiscock, pardey,  guzzwell, chichester or others of that ilk.

This is a bunch of blokes having fun in the guise of a race. I wish them the best of luck.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Where does stupidity stop?

In replying above to your 'what was available back then" question I forgot this dumb question. The RO has actually been very smart about the 1968 technological freeze and "race authenticity" which many, even myself have questioned.

Without it I suspect there would be no more than a handful of these enthusiasts arriving at the start line. McIntyte/RO has actually proven that "authenticity," that is being true to the history of any race is fundamental to its acceptance by both competitors and auduence and therefore its future well being.

Something the new owners of the Whitbread/VOR would be well placed taking note of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just explained to my daughter (14) rules of GGR. She asked a few clarification questions and than concluded: “so, it’s kind of like Hunger Games for sailors, right?” 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, vesa said:

Just explained to my daughter (14) rules of GGR. She asked a few clarification questions and than concluded: “so, it’s kind of like Hunger Games for sailors, right?” 

You must feel proud as parents do when they find out their kids are maybe, maybe not smarter but far more worldly than them at a corresponding age. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

In replying above to your 'what was available back then" question I forgot this dumb question. The RO has actually been very smart about the 1968 technological freeze and "race authenticity" which many, even myself have questioned.

Without it I suspect there would be no more than a handful of these enthusiasts arriving at the start line. McIntyte/RO has actually proven that "authenticity," that is being true to the history of any race is fundamental to its acceptance by both competitors and auduence and therefore its future well being.

Something the new owners of the Whitbread/VOR would be well placed taking note of.

We all sat back and watched the Shackleton reenactment with a sense of excitement and appreciation and a lot of 'good on em, but no way would I want to be them'.

This is a way for the everyman to emulate their childhood hero and, this time, most here would love to be there.

Hopefully next time, we have a dozen s+s 34's competing for the perie banou cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Hopefully next time, we have a dozen s+s 34's competing for the perie banou cup.

McIntyre/RO of this race actually provided Jessica Watson with her S&S 34 that she got the youngest (16 years) circumnavigation gong.

images (59).jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn shame about Jess boat. 

What are the rules about motoring. A gate? Limited hours?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who was the guy who had the spreader bolt air dropped to him. Taking away his unassisted? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Skipper Mark Slats unveils his "Secret Weapon!"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Less than a day to go!

1166723191_TheyDepartTomorrow.thumb.jpg.81ff19f6a2dc45ef6a53af400dec61f3.jpg

 

Golden Globe 2018 - Teaser

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Yachting Monthly

Final preparations are underway at Sables d’Olonne in France for the start of the 2018 Golden Globe Race on Sunday (1 July).

But, only 17 of the 18 skippers will cross the start line.

Italian entrant, Francesco Cappelletti is still preparing his Endurance 35, 007, which was trucked to Les Sables while the other skippers were in Falmouth taking part in the Suhaili Parade of Sail to celebrate the start of Sir Robin Knox-Johnston’s successful attempt to circumnavigate non stop and solo around the world.

He also has to make three days of solo sea trials in 007.

Cappelletti, 40, has six days grace to complete his preparations before the start closes permanently at noon on 7 July.

His situation is not too dissimilar to that faced 50 years ago by fellow Italian Alex Corozo, one of nine sailors to start the original Sunday Times Golden Globe Race.

To read the rest of the article, click the following link

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/boat-events/golden-globe-race/ggr-final-countdown-start-les-sablesdolonne-france-65894

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Where does stupidity stop?

I previously posted this for you...

On 6/28/2018 at 8:15 AM, QBF said:

There are skippers in the 2018 GGR that have far more ocean experience than anyone on Sailing Anarchy. Yet, some posters in this thread don't seem to think they know what they are doing...

For those who don't like this race, and prefer to criticize it, here is a contact link to the GGR organizers. Write them and tell them why you think their race shouldn't exist; maybe they'll cancel it.
http://goldengloberace.com/contact

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, vesa said:

Just explained to my daughter (14) rules of GGR. She asked a few clarification questions and than concluded: “so, it’s kind of like Hunger Games for sailors, right?” 

My 14 year old daughter, a keen sailor as well on Lasers and our own family keelboat, was quite intrigued when I explained the “period equipment” requirements to her.  She gets it - as in, wow, that’s a real challenge.  No GPS, no computer, ham radio, etc.

Some years ago our local mountaineering club organized climb to mark the 100th anniversary of the first ascent of a local technical mountain route (I.e, a route requiring specialized gear, not a hike; there are large crevasses, glaciers, difficult route finding, etc.).  It was meant for fun, and participants could not wear Gore-Tex or other modern materials, ice axes had to be wood handled, etc., no GPS, no propane stoves, etc.  Extra challenges for a technical mountain climb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Damn shame about Jess boat. 

What are the rules about motoring. A gate? Limited hours?

from the NOR

Quote

3.1.11 Engine

Propeller shafts are not sealed. The propulsion engine can be run in gear to give motion at any time in the record attempt without penalty, except within 30 miles of the start line and 250 miles of the finish line.

fuel is limited

Quote

A minimum amount of 20 UG gallons 80 ltrs of fuel and a maximum of that which was specified by the original boat builder or 40 US gallons 160 ltr whichever is less.

Fuel limits will add to the strategic choices 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, QBF said:

There are skippers in the 2018 GGR that have far more ocean experience than anyone on Sailing Anarchy. 

You may want to rethink that brain fart sunshine if your OP is about promoting an inclusive audience for this race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites