QBF

The 2018 Golden Globe Race

Come on Jack all these ppl voluntarily signed off for this - but considering her youth and inexperience, Don's supposed experience and being isolated, she's going to be more than likely listen to his half arsed routing because who else does she have?

A voice when you're all alone is a voice you're going to trust. Not knowing what shore team she has, Don deserves whatever fallout if she comes out if this for the worse. 

Miff I don't disagree but simply making the point the opportunities and constraints for this thing were pretty transparent at day 1 and some should have spent more time in the routing department. That is for being competitive and or staying in one piece, their choice. The RO is not responsible for individual responses in that regard.

However those constraints imposed and what has transpired since rests 100% at the RO's door.

From the FP

http://sailinganarchy.com/2018/10/16/the-next-sydney-to-hobart-winner/

I tend to get my S&S pedegree mixed up but pretty sure the orginal timber version of the subsequent GRP production versions (different builders) used by notable solists Jon Sanders double circumnavigation in Perie Banouv (1981/82), David Dicks in Seaflight (1996/97), Jesse Martin in Lionheart (1999-2000) and 16yo Jessica Watson in Pink Lady (the RO's boat) in 2009/10.

Would rather be in this than these long keeled things.

mark-twain.jpg

2 hours ago, bucc5062 said:

She done fairly okay for a young solo sailor.

Just sailed over 12,000 miles solo, in the midst of a big gale in the Southern Ocean, from the tracker it looks like Susie is handling that boat well in the heavy stuff.  I'd say she is several notches above "fairly okay" or the worse treatment from others.  Only three of eighteen have done any better than her so far, and that includes VDH who has has many laps of the planet to his credit so that's sort of another matter. 

As for the advice from Don

image.jpeg.8f222812b46ca139d650d8192183213c.jpeg

7 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

You are missing the point...you don't have to constantly charge their fixed trackers ...a full battery will last for 6 months or more?

I understand what you ate saying jack. I was initially trying to inform anyone who had missed the fact that the tracker had stopped and made it's last report on the 3rd October at 0000. There was some info on the GGR FB page about it. I suppose there is a possibility it could have been damaged by falling rigging ? 

4 hours ago, Miffy said:

And to think they're not even in the worst part of the journey yet. 

Miff if you troll back through the records of BOC, VG and others looking at the lattitude bands, daily runs, who came to grief and how etc. The first half seems to be quick but milder but still a lot of incidents, maybe speed related and second half more brutal intensity and duration plus with less room to escape thanks to Cape Horn low lat target, higher back end  wear and tear, etc but interestingly it seems not a disproprtiate number of more incidents.

However what makes that statistical snapshot quickly irrelevent is the comparative time of the year. The mid year start plus wrongly estimating SOG's incl fleet spread makes the planning behind this thing looks more and more like decision stupidity. Maybe what is behind these brain explosions by the RO to suddenly offer individual routing advice which realistically it is too late.

While Heede's timing/position on the course looks not too brilliant for avoidance, he does have the luxury of tiptoeing to Cape Horn with more weather knowledge at his command and utilising it better it seems than those in his rear vision mirror? Easy to forget it is not even November yet.

12 minutes ago, spyderpig said:

I understand what you ate saying jack. I was initially trying to inform anyone who had missed the fact that the tracker had stopped and made it's last report on the 3rd October at 0000. 

Mate I certainly missed that which your keen eye caught. Maybe cranking up the update interval to continuous or something after it was known he was cactus may have chewed through Tomy's battery capacity?

I wonder what Igor has in the way of spares to repair his forestay as he seems to be confident he can fix it. I can sympathise we him as he is about 1500 miles SSW from where I lost one a couple of years ago.

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Mate I certainly missed that which your keen eye caught.

Too much time on my hands, back on the boat for a  couple of weeks now

25 minutes ago, spyderpig said:

I can sympathise we him as he is about 1500 miles SSW from where I lost one a couple of years ago.

Saved by an inner and outer or were you going downhill and the washing up front suddenly wasn't hanging the way it should? I experienced it once mid ocean when the forestay went to introduce itself to its cap brothers. Had a greater appreciation for beefy MH cutter rigs after that.

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

Saved by an inner and outer or were you going downhill

Had a baby stay and was going downhill , 1000 miles from Rodrigues but is was manageable with 1/4 main and the spi halyard plus topping lift.

8 hours ago, tama_manu said:

Just sailed over 12,000 miles solo, in the midst of a big gale in the Southern Ocean, from the tracker it looks like Susie is handling that boat well in the heavy stuff.  I'd say she is several notches above "fairly okay" or the worse treatment from others.  Only three of eighteen have done any better than her so far, and that includes VDH who has has many laps of the planet to his credit so that's sort of another matter. 

As for the advice from Don

image.jpeg.8f222812b46ca139d650d8192183213c.jpeg

Whoa there, easy on the bat....Fairly okay was not a knock on her sailing as a blue water solo skipper, but as Jack also pointed out, she has, at times, routed or just plain sailed into holes and that may be more from inexperience than anything else.  The fact that Heede is over 1500 miles ahead does speak to what experience brings to the table.  I respect the hell out of what she is doing, but this is her first time racing RTW solo....and doing so with pretty crappy race rules.  If she did this again I bet she'll do even better, because if I was her, after this race I'd go pick the brain of Heede and not let him go till it was picked clean.

What got to me was the RO stepping in with what looked like fairly bad "advice" and as Miffy pointed out,  when one who you consider "experienced" suggests to sail backwards I could imagine it would be hard to go against it.  Since it looks like she survived the worst of it (so far) I do hope the next time he opens his mouth to suggest a course she gives him a huge finger and gets her information from someone else.

edit:

What really frosts me is that before this "advice" she had been making slow ground on Uku.  Now she not only lost over 100 miles sailing backwards, now forward but NE, but the two behind her have gained those same miles and are @ 200 miles.  A distance that can be shrunk even more by weather.  It would royally piss me off to lose so much in what is ostensibly a race.

Someone remind me, the event is sanctioned by FFVoile, the French sailing federation?

9 minutes ago, Chasm said:

Someone remind me, the event is sanctioned by FFVoile, the French sailing federation?

Not really.

http://www.ffvoile.fr/ffv/web/ffvoile/documents/BE/RD_BE_13_01_2018.pdf

Scroll to last page findings that was unanimously adopted. 

They don't consider it an official competition, no referees and no affiliation/insurance - doubts the qualification requirements/reliability of gear. The event isn't insured and they basically gave it up to the maritime authorities to decide whether the event should go on.

Yes, that is very clear. FFVoile has nothing to do with the GGR and does not want to either. Not following any of the applicable rules and that is just the start of the list.

Would have been too easy to give the GGR a wake up call that way....

The irony is there's this image Don is peddling re "good old days" of sailing - when he has arbitrarily put in more rules on the competitors re mandatory waypoints, misguided weather routing & oh... Don owns your pictures and you can't write a book about your own exp without him getting a cut or approving it.

33 minutes ago, Miffy said:

The irony is there's this image Don is peddling re "good old days" of sailing - when he has arbitrarily put in more rules on the competitors re mandatory waypoints, misguided weather routing & oh... Don owns your pictures and you can't write a book about your own exp without him getting a cut or approving it.

And, as far as I can tell, none of the state-of-the-retro-art "Super 8" film has been made pubic? 

Of course, why bother with media when you have a boondoggle on your hands?  Nice of them to use the word "QUIT" rather than abandoned or withdrew.  Especially saying that Tomy or McGuckin "quit" is pretty insulting.

Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 11.46.55 AM.png

1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

And, as far as I can tell, none of the state-of-the-retro-art "Super 8" film has been made pubic? 

Of course, why bother with media when you have a boondoggle on your hands?  Nice of them to use the word "QUIT" rather than abandoned or withdrew.  Especially saying that Tomy or McGuckin "quit" is pretty insulting.

Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 11.46.55 AM.png

I saw this the other day and it pissed me off. It is a very odd choice of word and not one that anybody I know would use in describing retiring from a race. It seems to have been deliberately chosen !

25 minutes ago, littlechay said:

I saw this the other day and it pissed me off. It is a very odd choice of word and not one that anybody I know would use in describing retiring from a race. It seems to have been deliberately chosen !

So the moral of the story is....

"Hey skipper, you masts are all broke, you're boat is sinking and you're 1000 miles from land, you quitting?"  God forbid someone died, would it still be "Quit"?  I think the word "retired" would be respectful.

47 minutes ago, littlechay said:

I will have continued interest in the remaining sailors who are doing hard work under unnatural constraints.

But I'm done with the "event" and will avoid giving the race website any clicks and will get updates here.  While my personal interest is perhaps irrelevant to the organizers, I've lost all remaining respect for the RO, what little was left.