QBF

The 2018 Golden Globe Race

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Miffy said:

If I recall correctly, Dong Feng got quite a bit of help from MAPFRE's logistics there - and the existing rig (broken at the 3rd spreader) was repaired with locally sourced parts (new 2nd spreaders).  Mainsail purchased from cruising boat - might have been one of Novak's boats.

Vestas' Falklands repair might have been a telephone pole.

You are correct.....i stand corrected on that, though the rest happened.  It is a different race, but more to the point a banged up boat in bad conditions made it into the channels and eventually to Ushuaia.  I thought it an option and I'm accepting wisdom from Demi-Gods.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, if Susie doesn't turn south soon she may wind up hitting NZ.  She's adding miles that Kopar can gain on.  Then again she's been heading close to due east for 119 miles...maybe she's setting up for a deeper run to the mark?...it seems a strange course at the moment given the conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, littlechay said:

Seems that they competitors do have GoPros aboard provided by GGR -

Don has been hiding/avoiding their existance..that is funny. GoPros are OK but you are only allowed to listen to music on calm days when the needle doesn't skip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Don has been hiding/avoiding their existance..that is funny. GoPros are OK but you are only allowed to listen to music on calm days when the needle doesn't skip.

Or the player piano rolls aren't too wet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing rolling is the loose marbels in his head....he is off his fucking rocker. What is  he intending to do ..have opening credits run to the sound of film going through the sprockets. I can't wait to see it.. Susie will be wearing a 1960's bikini and all the lads smoking pipes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, littlechay said:

On his way according to FB.  

Thanks Chay

The tracker still shows him at Kingston Beach, zero knots.

A glitch with the tracker, hopefully.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, harrygee said:
3 hours ago, littlechay said:

On his way according to FB.  

Thanks Chay

The tracker still shows him at Kingston Beach, zero knots.

A glitch with the tracker, hopefully.

Posted to FB 2 hours ago ...

Tapio checking his mast just found a problem with yankee halyard snap shackle open so now has to come down to ease halyard then back up again to reconnect then tension so may leave in a few hours.

45590109_2160804600839593_7496566824746614784_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Sea Breeze.

Even when they're resting, there's no rest.

He's been there a while, maybe 24 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, harrygee said:

Thanks Sea Breeze.

Even when they're resting, there's no rest.

He's been there a while, maybe 24 hours.

Hang on a minute, you're in Tassie  .... just pop your head out the window and have a look :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What was the deal with his barnacle infestation the bit of his hull I saw on approach it looked pretty clean... I assume further down it was a shocker? Lovely looking boat and though a more wet one, with lighter ends I would much rather be on going down hill hard if I had to be in a long keeler. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Posted to FB 2 hours ago ...

Tapio checking his mast just found a problem with yankee halyard snap shackle open so now has to come down to ease halyard then back up again to reconnect then tension so may leave in a few hours.

45590109_2160804600839593_7496566824746614784_n.jpg

Don manages to get an ad in that pic..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Hang on a minute, you're in Tassie  .... just pop your head out the window and have a look :D

He's over the hill.

And I'm over the hill.  :)

Might have a look tomorrow if he's still there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

Nice, but what don’t these guys understand about waterline length?

Rustler has around a 1 foot LWL advantage which isn't a lot, but out of the shop the S&S has a SA/D ratio of 15 and the Rustler a horrible <12. Looking at Tapio's performance so far, in the process of rebuilding I think has murdered that SA/D advantage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's still up the stick apparently....

Screenshot_2018-11-08-18-33-29-07.thumb.png.b0782982b3db949936ec9efef0d2e787.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this response from Don on Tapio's FB.

Dons response to Kai :

“Tapio can clean his hull in Hobart..just needs to slip the boat or do it at sea which he chose not to do.. only Susie took about 50 barnacles from her hull in Hobart without realizing the breech of regulations., Mark just wiped down and he had done at sea it before arriving.  GGR does not manage fouling issues for entrants. thanks.Don”

What the F is he saying, slip the boat and go to chichester? Or is it a new rule again? Of course "chose not to" clean at sea, underway. When he knew that all of his competition had cleaned the bottom nicely anchored.

If GGR does not manage the fouling issues, then he should have said nothing. Request for redress. None of the boats have been inspected for biofouling by official so I am sure he just came up with this "barnagate" himself. Guy is a joke.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interestingly, the entry guidelines to Australia also prohibit contact with other vessels or people before clearance by customs and ag department.

so, not only are these boats violating our bio security guidelines  if they clean their hulls, they are all also violating customs regs by handing over goods before customs clearance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Itsabimmerthing said:

Found this response from Don on Tapio's FB.

Dons response to Kai :

“Tapio can clean his hull in Hobart..just needs to slip the boat or do it at sea which he chose not to do.. only Susie took about 50 barnacles from her hull in Hobart without realizing the breech of regulations., Mark just wiped down and he had done at sea it before arriving.  GGR does not manage fouling issues for entrants. thanks.Don”

What the F is he saying, slip the boat and go to chichester? Or is it a new rule again? Of course "chose not to" clean at sea, underway. When he knew that all of his competition had cleaned the bottom nicely anchored.

If GGR does not manage the fouling issues, then he should have said nothing. Request for redress. None of the boats have been inspected for biofouling by official so I am sure he just came up with this "barnagate" himself. Guy is a joke.

Itsabim I  have a horrible feeling my biosecurity post last month as follows might have done his head in.

 

34 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

Interestingly, the entry guidelines to Australia also prohibit contact with other vessels or people before clearance by customs and ag department.

so, not only are these boats violating our bio security guidelines  if they clean their hulls, they are all also violating customs regs by handing over goods before customs clearance.

olaf my understanding is he has the OK from Australian Border Force crowd  for this stopover and what is transpiring. The only oversight it seems was the hull cleaning and biosecurity aspect. A bit of a brain fart on his behalf having regard to his experience with Antartica's regulatory environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tapio has finally got out of Dodge.

Some quick grabs.

7.40  35mm and Super8 film offload by the truckfull. 2 X 1 hour documentaries coming out, GGR to be seen at film festivals etc. The word "GoPro" not mentioned.

14.10. Don reackons the strongest rig in the fleet

17.35. The mid or later life crisis of rediscovery after already being around on a crewed racer.

18.25 Planning and execution didn't align.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, olaf hart said:

so, not only are these boats violating our bio security guidelines  if they clean their hulls, they are all also violating customs regs by handing over goods before customs clearance.

Perhaps the the RO has come up with the most perfect drug smuggling operation ever conceived. How to move narcotics from Europe > Africa > Australia > Europe without ever making landfall and in plain sight of the 12 or so of us actually following the race, Brilliant :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Hearing of Heede's predicament he is duct taping a Beachball to the top to speed up self righting???

I think you'll find that technology already covered by a 1968 copyright!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

I think you'll find that technology already covered by a 1968 copyright!

Yes you are right about self righting inventions to Multi's back then to counter their bad reputation for turning turtle being a dime a dozen. 

For instance Crowhurst's version was to be deployed via Bluetooth an interface he got inspiration from having a dental checkup pre race but was still working on before leaving.

In Tetley's case he only thought about it post race when building his new Tri "Miss Vicky" with the view to having another shot at circumnavigating. His self righting device however wasn't a device, but was just peace of mind he gained from gazing up at Miss Vicky's rig.

IMG_20181108_193721.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suzie now has company..Captain Coconut or now called Cpt Cocolicious goes down in history as the first person to successfully undertake a DIY sex change using just a marlin spike, dettol and a band-aid.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don live on FB:

Jean-Luc is going to repair at sea and carry on.  Not stopping in Chile.

Will get an 18 hour time penalty for 2 satellite phone calls to his team to move out of Chichester back into GGR class

Effectively he was moved to Chichester when he made the calls just after the mast issue, but Don was too busy with Tapio to announce anything to the public.

Can't be bothered to listen anymore.

The mind boggles...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The long and short of it is that he is making up the rules as he goes along.  Apparently he is feeling sorry for some of the sailors....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JMore said:

The long and short of it is that he is making up the rules as he goes along.  Apparently he is feeling sorry for some of the sailors....

Also, he might loose his temporary home in France if does not reinstate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic outcome for the French Maths Teacher...and Buccy

As for administration of a yacht race this horseshit now ranks alongside a very grubby group in history.

For instance one that comes to mind is the New York Yacht Club over looking their AC defender in the mid 70's down changing weight by nearly a tonne mid finals when things went light and then go on to beat the Aust challenger who was quick. A fact never found out until years later. But that was a yacht race. Has this thing from the beginning really been a yacht race for daily public consumption via mainstream media? 

The RO indicating in this vid that Kopar, Peche and Heede have been treated on equal terms is complete fucking fiction. I will gladly substantiate that if anyone is too lazy to go upthread and find that out.

The RO is not a RO of a yacht race. He is a crazy fucking Executive Producer and Director of a re-positioning of the original 68 GGR on film that won't be produced and revealed until post race. Director GoPros have been secreted on board and my guess he goes to bed at night dreaming of standing beside  Robert Redford at the Sundance Film Festival.

As for characters, well Heede from the start was a Moitessier version who kept racing to the finish . Peche a second competive Frenchman didn't fit the script so a way had to be found where he exited stage left, a point the Director always said would happen. Funny about that.

Anyway Slats is now RKJ's standin but my guess the Director was originally hoping Suzie would take that role with a modern gender boost. Not to be so he is now chasing Mark Slats Dutch family in the hope he had a British passport at some time for RKJ stand-in authenticity.

If I was Peche I would engage a media lawyer...you can't make this shit up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

unless I am mistaken this is the first video to emerge from any of the film drops. Looks well in control but not sure why the tiller is not locked?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

...

The RO indicating in this vid that Kopar, Peche and Heede have been treated on equal terms is complete fucking fiction. I will gladly substantiate that if anyone is too lazy to go upthread and find that out.

The RO is not a RO of a yacht race. He is a crazy fucking Executive Producer and Director of a re-positioning of the original 68 GGR on film that won't be produced and revealed until post race. Director GoPros have been secreted on board and my guess he goes to bed at night dreaming of standing beside  Robert Redford at the Sundance Film Festival.

Please do substantiate, to spark up the conversation :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, spyderpig said:

unless I am mistaken this is the first video to emerge from any of the film drops. Looks well in control but not sure why the tiller is not locked?

I think in the business they call that a film teaser. Like Ursula and Hally coming out of the water 12 months in advance of actual  movie release. BTW some places Ursula only appeared on B&W TV (6 years B4 the GGR) , luckily when Hally had to get wet, TV had gone colour.

Or in the metro-sexual era the producers saved money and just used Daniel to cover most movie goers.

I'm not sure the RO understands these complex media and entertainment promotional concepts to be doing what he is doing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the proper ridicule aside, I think the best news is that Heede can carry on once he completes repairs...whatever they may be since it may take some time to ever get the real shit on this issue.  Fortunate he's got a lull to do what he needs to do and then get on quick.

Susie's arc was interesting, but she really has a head of steam last update.  Perhaps she's got her head back in the game.

Why does not the RO just abolish Chi-Chester since he seems so quick to take people out of it and just play his random hours game instead.  "What, you talked on a Sat phone to figure how to use the GoPRo...ummmm...1 hour penalty".  "What, you used the Sat Phone to get information on how to fix a 10 gal a min leak from a fitting...20 hours and you must sail backwards for 1 day".

 

The only two left to worry about for stopping and barnacles I don't think have any concern about how much growth is under the water.  Still, one should try slipping and then argue to take hours over Chi-Chester...just for fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

All the proper ridicule aside, ..

Bucc only improper so far, you best not be here for when it goes proper. I'm not sure your Methodist upbringing can handle that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, daan62 said:

in response i asked them: 

how does that relate to NOR § 3.1.9 "Banned equipment" ? Are the sailors forced to break the rules?

image.png

Maybe it's so that if he doesn't like the look of whoever wins he can DSQ them on the grounds of banned equipment and in favour of his golden boy or girl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JMore said:

Maybe it's so that if he doesn't like the look of whoever wins he can DSQ them on the grounds of banned equipment and in favour of his golden boy or girl.

mmm..I'm starting to think Peche dropped his GoPro overboard by mistake?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a clip from when Are Wiig rolled over. I am pretty sure the film is not from his Super 8 camera... Starting at 1:40.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The villian is Slatts who slipped up shown handing over a GoPro SD card in Hobart and letting the cat out of the bag...the Studio then forced into PR defence mode.

P.S. I'm not sure how a Harvey Weinstein me/too thing will work its way in here in due course, but rest assured it will happen, maybe just involving de-sexed gold fish but a worry all the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The GGR Rules of Race as published state:

"Umpiring. The umpiring of the Record will be provided by a team of qualified people TBA making the Jury."

Leaks about the GGR via whistleblowers and even those that can't whistle for nuts are now appearing daily at gay abandon. The "team of qualified people" comprising the GGR Jury as described in the rules above..well a photo has just been leaked today via goldenglobieleaks.com

alfred-hitchcock.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Bucc only improper so far, you best not be here for when it goes proper. I'm not sure your Methodist upbringing can handle that.

Dutch Reformed PK.  I think I could handle it.

Gotta hand it to the sailors for being tight-lipped about GoproGate.  Wonder if there was a little 'Family' pressure put on them like 'Hey, youz wanna talks about usin' de fancy camera?  Youz wants to go talks wid da fish ,huh...good onez, right?"

Then this...

Quote

VIDEO ALERT !!! Mark Slats brought back some impressive images from his onboard digital camera from Indian Ocean. Super8 film and 35mm photos are free for entrants to use and many are (A 1 hour GGR film Documantary will be produced from this film)....the GGR also has Video cameras onboard for short International News release and for the Official GGR two part documentary. GGR has released this peice of footage as an expression of what Mark is experiencing at sea.

WTF does that mean....free to use.  Sooooo, the GoPro costs them something to use?  Why have a 1 hour GGR documentary in super 8 when you are going to have a 2 part documentary using the GoPros?  As I remember, super 8 didn't have sound though I found this...

Quote

If you have regular 8mm film, the chances are actually very rare that it contains sound, but it is a possibility. To check yourself, just look for a small magnetic strip along the same side as the sprocket holes. Sound is still rare on Super 8 film, but much more likely to have sound than compared to regular 8mm

So we have the potential of watching a film with not so great video imagery (checking google)

Quote

Black and white can have/has had higher resolutions than its color counterparts. I would say with Super8 you can get between 1/4 to 1/2 a MP of real resolution extracted by a quality (dedicated) scanner.

In other words from 640x400 to 800x464. Basically it was our grandparents version of YouTube for quality before the HD content. ~460p


You can convert it to -any- resolution you want. 1080 if you can find a place that will do it. That doesnt mean youre going to be able to have more fidelity, just a bigger image. Like going into photoshop and enlarging a picture. Its bigger, has more resolution, but its not 'real' resolution.

or one made with modern digital resolution and sound.  Gosh...what a choice.

 

I thought the original intent of just having throwback recording media was dumb since issues of power and resolution and storage aside, waterproof was not a strong point back then.  Now we come to find that, no, they have modern equipment to record events (though what events?).  Kind of makes the whole throwback thing ridiculous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

  As I remember, super 8 didn't have sound though I found this...

No sound is OK..what worries me is if they're wearing funny hats doing this weird shit.

Chaplin-Charlie-His-New-Job_011.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About the barnacle topic...  Is the 200 nm limit a local Aussie or Tassie regulation or an IMO Biofouling rule?

I ask because I was just checking the NOR to see whether the issues is relevant within the strict context of the race rules.  Because I'm wondering about the "GGR does not manage fouling issues for entrants" statement.  The NOR says...

 

3.4.1 Applicable documents

a)  All Boating regulations enforced by the government of UK and France.

b)  The Golden Globe 2018-19 sailing instructions and amendments thereto.

c)  All sections of the International COLREGS...

d)  IMO rules for the prevention of pollution at sea.

e)  GGR Special equipment rules.

g) The Golden Globe 2018-19 Notice of Race, its appendices and any future amendments. 

 

So...  if it's an IMO rule, then violating it is a violation of 3.4.1d and I'd take "GGR does not manage fouling issues for entrants" to mean that, like any racing rules violation where no other competitor is around to protest you if you violate the rule...  it's on your own honor and integrity to follow the rule or self-report...  and that GGR (Don) doesn't intend to ask questions about how/when/where your bottom got cleaned.  And he's hoping it won't be pressed by a third party or other competitor to a point where he's forced to penalize someone against 3.4.1d.  Possibly because no one cared about this stuff in 1968.

But...  if it's a local rule...  then while it's still important to observe for a variety of good reasons, violating it might not be a violation of race rules.  In which case "GGR does not manage fouling issues for entrants" makes more sense.  In that case, I'd take it to mean...  The sailors should behave appropriately with regard to all local environmental laws, but failure to do so isn't going to be penalized by GGR because it isn't explicitly against GGR's rules.  Therefore, Don is essentially advising the skippers to handle it properly while also saying it isn't his purview.  I guess the implication would be that the competitors' biggest concern if they violate it would be getting in trouble with local authorities (and I suppose if a local authority boarded their vessel, that may then become a GGR violation) rather than a direct GGR penalty.

Either way, it would have been better to keep the communication between himself and the skippers rather than having it go public (unless a third party went public first by raising a concern publicly that Don had to respond to).  Tough, though...  Presumably the importance of managing barnacles wasn't anticipated as a major element of the competition, so the fact that bottom cleaning at sea would ever be a topic for public discussion wasn't anticipated, so when it came out, it was discussed with interest before anyone realized the implications for a possible environmental conflict, and then the cat was already out of the bag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just noticed...  unless I'm looking in the wrong place...  The skipper list has been adjusted to use "OUT" instead of "QUIT".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the retranscription of the message of Jean-Luc Van Den Heede recovered thanks to the radio-amateurs network and the Terre & Mer collective : #GGR2018

"I had plenty of time to think about my situation during these four days of escaping the storm (220 miles lost to the North)." My mast is now extremely precarious due to my capsize. If I stop to make a repair, it will be only temporary. For Matmut to continue sailing, it will need more or less long to change to a new mast.

So I decided, to save my soul (dixit Moitessier), to continue my route non-stop and head for Les Sables d'Olonne.

As soon as the sea will allow it I will climb in the mast to secure it as best as possible with what I can use onboard. If I get dismasted, I have like all competitors a jury rig that will allow me to reach a port in full autonomy. I am no longer in racing mode but in safe mode. This is not the first time I will attempt to bring home a damaged boat. And if by miracle I get to Les Sables d'Olonne, I do not care about the ranking, at least I will have tried. I cross my fingers and thank all those who help me in this adventure.

The message has been transmitted thanks to the network of radio amateurs and the Collectif Terre et Mer, which is our only way of communicating with the earth and providing all the competitors with weather situations. I thank them warmly".

Signed: JLVDH.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, littlechay said:

Here is the retranscription of the message of Jean-Luc Van Den Heede recovered thanks to the radio-amateurs network and the Terre & Mer collective : #GGR2018

"I had plenty of time to think about my situation during these four days of escaping the storm (220 miles lost to the North)." My mast is now extremely precarious due to my capsize. If I stop to make a repair, it will be only temporary. For Matmut to continue sailing, it will need more or less long to change to a new mast.

So I decided, to save my soul (dixit Moitessier), to continue my route non-stop and head for Les Sables d'Olonne.

As soon as the sea will allow it I will climb in the mast to secure it as best as possible with what I can use onboard. If I get dismasted, I have like all competitors a jury rig that will allow me to reach a port in full autonomy. I am no longer in racing mode but in safe mode. This is not the first time I will attempt to bring home a damaged boat. And if by miracle I get to Les Sables d'Olonne, I do not care about the ranking, at least I will have tried. I cross my fingers and thank all those who help me in this adventure.

The message has been transmitted thanks to the network of radio amateurs and the Collectif Terre et Mer, which is our only way of communicating with the earth and providing all the competitors with weather situations. I thank them warmly".

Signed: JLVDH.

I ponder his safe mode might still be swift enough to keep him in the lead for some time.  It might take a week to see what his average speed is in varying conditions and from there see if Slats can catch and pass.  I admire his decision for it seems in keeping with his spirit.

Of course if he didn't have the stupid ass chi-chester rule, then a stop at a port where he could perhaps weld plates over the damage, reset the bolt and tang set up and maybe have been off inside 24 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

I ask because I was just checking the NOR to see whether the issues is relevant within the strict context of the race rules.....

My favourite section in the NOR is this one, 9.3 titled Risk, last sentence, which is a bit like all a roads lead to Rome provision re the RO's advise in any matter.

"The entrant also accepts and agrees that the organisers are non-expert in the running of such events and he/she does not rely on any aspect of the advice opinions or rules of the Golden Globe in making the decision to attempt this Race."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

My favourite section in the NOR is this one, 9.3 titled Risk, last sentence, which is a bit like all a roads lead to Rome provision re the RO's advise in any matter.

"The entrant also accepts and agrees that the organisers are non-expert in the running of such events and he/she does not rely on any aspect of the advice opinions or rules of the Golden Globe in making the decision to attempt this Race."

 

you mean....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, spyderpig said:

Looks well in control but not sure why the tiller is not locked?

How would you expect the windvane to be able to steer if the tiller was locked?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Airwick said:

How would you expect the windvane to be able to steer if the tiller was locked?

Depends on the windvane - most these days, to minimize the windage and amount of force needed, control a small independent rudder and doesn't control the boat's rudder.

Re not locking tiller - depends on the boat, some boats, you use a bungee that has some flexibility and it'll hold course and be more forgiving of sea state/brief wind changes while you tend to your sails. A locked tiller makes no adjustment and fights the elements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Airwick said:

How would you expect the windvane to be able to steer if the tiller was locked?

oops - it is that red vane made it look like a Hydrovane. On second look it is an Aries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, spyderpig said:

oops - it is that red vane made it look like a Hydrovane. On second look it is an Aries.

Yea, you wouldnt want anything else would you  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, littlechay said:

Yea, you wouldnt want anything else would you  ;)

are we going to start that argument, I mean discussion, again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

URGENT NEWS/NOTICE 

The Producer/Director outlines new script, where copies are available from the studio office and on the Set.

For the avoidance of doubt any reference to Jean Luc Moitessier heading to Chile to "save his soul" and people whispering into their HF microphones that Sir Mark Knox Slats just got lucky and can't sail for peanuts is to cease imediately. Any Super8 film of that must be destroyed and on those other secret things just push button marked delete.

The Producer/Director also informs the scene about Jean Luc Moitessier's satelite phone call use, then him cursing the Director while locking it back in its box and him moving backwards and forwards between deck chairs on set, not to mention up and down the film credits list, hasn't been officially written yet. However for guidance everyone can assume an 18 hour "hang around twiddle his thumbs penalty" will be gospel after the Producer/Director has had a chance to change into his Scriptwriter guise. BTW this out/in penalty stuff is not to be discussed  with actors who have already been kicked off the Set for doing the same shit with the Satphone thing. 

Filming recommences in the Pacific Studio on Lot 7 at 0600.

https://goldengloberace.com/day-130-jean-luc-van-den-heede-to-continue-racing/

 

IMG_20181109_152249.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, spyderpig said:

are we going to start that argument, I mean discussion, again.

Looking at the bits piling up in the Studio workshop, Aries is currently hot favourite of all the nominees to take out the Best Vane Award. 

golden-globe-nominations.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Looking at the bits piling up in the Studio workshop, Aries is currently hot favourite of all the nominees to take out the Best Vane Award. 

golden-globe-nominations.png

May I nominate:

___________________________________________________________

I                                                                                                         I

I                                                                                                         I

I                                                                                                         I

I                                                                                                         I

I                                                                                                         I

I                                                                                                         I

I                                                                                                         I

I                                                                                                         I
___________________________________________________________

For the best Super 8 home movie?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Putting all  "GGR Rules of Race" chaos aside, watching this gentleman doing what he is doing is something very special ...  5.5kn@135 .. Are You Not Entertained?!

 

JLV.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VDH has made 86 M during the last 16 hours. So he is still making 130 M/day and seems to be going almost as fast as before the accident.

Mark is flying. He made 108 M during the same 16 hours. Thus 162 M/day pace. Much more than his average. He'll need to average about 20 M/day more than VDH for the remaining race in order to catch him.

Mark is not likely to keep up 150 M/day, but will VDH be slower than 130 M/day. Has VDH already made the fix he hopes to last all the way or is he still working on it and possibly becoming even faster than now?

Susie was the fastest of the next "group", but made only 80 M during the last 16 hours. Istvan and Uku made about 70, Tapio only 55 M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Joakim A question if I may - out of interest, how well was Tapio known in the sailing circles in Finland before this race? You may have seen my post about him above and the video about supporting youth sailing but I had never heard of him before now.  Is he an active sailor and known in his home country?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, vesa said:

Putting all  "GGR Rules of Race" chaos aside, watching this gentleman doing what he is doing is something very special ...  5.5kn@135 .. Are You Not Entertained?!

 

JLV.jpg

He is putting on a master class in how to make beautiful music with a box and cat gut for strings. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he figured a way to set up adjustable back stays to help support in line pressures so he could fly a chute (gybing would be much more work) and figuring out how to tighten the side shrouds, added extra support with line and block and tackle to help support lateral forces.  Maybe he was able to reposition the bolt though the (tear?) would still now be a weak point on the tube.  When he makes it to France is when we'll know unless there is a fly by as he rounds the Cape.

My hope is that once he gets the feel for what the rig can take he will push a little more in flatter conditions, back off when the seas are less predictable and keep that 24 distance up in the 120s.  That video of Slats in a storm showed me just how rolly these boats seem to be and that has to wear on a rig over time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Susie's going to get a nice boost around NZ in the next few days.  She's added some miles on Kopar and if she can up her game a bit, could run down Uku over time for it seems she ate into his lead a bit as well.

(hell, just trying to find something exciting in this "race").

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JMore said:

@Joakim A question if I may - out of interest, how well was Tapio known in the sailing circles in Finland before this race? You may have seen my post about him above and the video about supporting youth sailing but I had never heard of him before now.  Is he an active sailor and known in his home country?

Well, he has done the Whitbread (1981-82), but is not that much known for that and more than half of the crew on that boat would be totally unknown to most Finnish sailors. The whole crew was followed by many sailors back then, since this was the first Finnish Whitbread project, but there were many others after that with more publicity during the 80's.

Probably he is mostly know as a father of Silja Lehtinen (now Frost), who won Olympic Bronze as a skipper of Elliot and has been successful in other classes as well. Also his son has done well in the Olympics (7th in 49er). Both 2012 London.

Also he is know as a former Commodore of a rather big (among the ten biggest here) Finnish Sailing club and lots of sailing politics related to that (and upsetting quite a few sailors).

He has sailed a 6 MR for a long time, so he is known in those circles. His best 6 MR results are probably mostly thanks to his daughter Silja.

So he's not known as one of the best sailors in Finland (like his daughter is) and would be quite unknown without being very active in sailing politics and taking part in GGR, which has given more publicity than any other sailing outside Olympic classes in Finland. I don't think he really wanted that publicity GGR gave him in Finland. It was more the Finnish media digging the information than him pushing it.

Common public in Finland would know him only from GGR, if they happen to see him in TV news or in the newspaper. There are may other sailors better known by common public, but not many of them are outside Olympic classes, which get 99% of the sailing media coverage in Finland. Route de Rhum has a Finnish participant (Ari Huusela) as well. He's more known to public, since this is not his first event with media coverage during this century. Finnish media seems to like more to tell about these adventures than Finnish Sailors getting medals outside Olympic classes. E.g. there has been Finnish Offshore World and European champion medal winners with zero media coverage during the past few years (except for the sailing magazine).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Joakim said:

GGR, if they happen to see him in TV news or in the newspaper.

Wow...  GGR is occasionally on TV there?  In the US, coverage of any kind of sailing on TV, even the Olympics and America's Cup is rare.  Even when US sailors are doing well.

Regarding VDH...  As soon as he said "safe mode", I had to laugh...  the first thing that crossed my mind was "his 'safe mode' will still be faster than everyone but maybe Slats".  He won't want to take 200 more days to limp home at 2 kts.  If he can make the rig do 4-6, he will...  and if he breaks it trying, he already pointed out he can jury rig and get to shore safely.  He might lose Slats, but I'm doubtful anyone else will get close.  Or he'll break the mast and Susie, Uku, and Kopar will be racing for second.

Actually, I'm kinda hoping he'll get most of the way to the finish, break it in a squall with 200 nm to go, and win under jury rig.  (By enough for the time penalty to not matter).  Probably doing 3 kts under jury rig, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Wow...  GGR is occasionally on TV there?

Well not really GGR. They don't show results or such. They just tell about Tapio, his problems and how HAM community is helping him. So the interest is more about a Finn doing an extreme thing than the actual event or race. And not often maybe two or three times a short report during the whole GGR so far. But VDH having problems with his mast made the newspaper. Maybe because Tapio was in Tasmania?

It's a huge contrast to Estonia. They have live TV coverage and newspaper front page stories about their offshore regatta's. There used to be a lot of media interest in offshore sailing in Finland during 80's. Especially at the end of 80's when we had three (!) Whitbread entries, but also local offshore regatta's got media interest.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, gone for a day and not a comment?  

Susie's trucking at 6 kts and gained slight distance on Kopar, eaten a little more into Uku...What she may be eating will not be enjoyable sine she lost some burners 9for now)

Heede's text message was sounding like he's stalled, but the tracker shows him at 6 kts which tells me he's happy with his rig at the moment.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

919707527_images(78).jpeg.b9cb736db7ef78e66612c94ece93bddf.jpeg

Remembrance Day and a big one being the centenary for the end of WWI. A very strong connection between France and Australia was formed from that. Hats off to those who made the absolute sacrifice.

  • Like 3
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Courtesy of RO. Interesting book read about Cheers a Proa that Tom Follet skippered in the 1968 Observer Single Handed Transatlantic Race in 1968 coming in third. I'm not sure I would jump in her today let alone in 1968. We have had some rescues in this race but I don't think betters one in this race where a doctor parachuted from a plane to attend to some guy who was very ill.

The interesting bit is Cheers has been completely restored and sailing again in Port Saint Louis south of France, and has been designated as a “monument historique” and now protected by the French Governement.

https://www.amazon.com/Project-Cheers-Jim-Morris/dp/1523961163/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1464298984&amp;sr=1-1&amp;keywords=Project+Cheers

Some background to Cheers and some great pics of it being built in the Caribbean.

https://cheersdicknewick.com/

Film of 1968 OSTAR which not filmed on a GoPro.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2056184064438128&amp;id=967989813257564

 

cheersbookcoverpic-sm.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While unsuccessfully scouring the internet for an extract from Chichester's book highlighting a celestial navigation issue (It's on Uku Randmaa's FB page linky below in some Estonian dialect) I came across this bizzare quote.

While loading gin aboard Gipsy Moth IV Chichester was quoted as saying: “Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk.”

So it would appear he was knighted for being a really good drunk that managed to find his way home after taking the long way?

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Courtesy of RO. Interesting book read about Cheers a Proa that Tom Follet skippered in the 1968 Observer Single Handed Transatlantic Race in 1968 coming in third. I'm not sure I would jump in her today let alone in 1968. We have had some rescues in this race but I don't think betters one in this race where a doctor parachuted from a plane to attend to some guy who was very ill.

The interesting bit is Cheers has been completely restored and sailing again in Port Saint Louis south of France, and has been designated as a “monument historique” and now protected by the French Governement.

https://www.amazon.com/Project-Cheers-Jim-Morris/dp/1523961163/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1464298984&amp;sr=1-1&amp;keywords=Project+Cheers

Some background to Cheers and some great pics of it being built in the Caribbean.

https://cheersdicknewick.com/

Film of 1968 OSTAR which not filmed on a GoPro.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2056184064438128&amp;id=967989813257564

 

cheersbookcoverpic-sm.jpg

Was that a fin keeled boat dropping in the water @ 2:12... and here I was given the view that they didn't exist back in 1968, according to the RO of the GGR.

Gotta, love that super 8 video quality (rolls eye).  Back then I can understand, but in the 21st century it will be painful to watch, if they even bother given there was digital tech aboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bucc5062 said:

Was that a fin keeled boat dropping in the water @ 2:12... and here I was given the view that they didn't exist back in 1968, according to the RO of the GGR.

I don't recall the RO ever saying that and if so he was wrong. The long keel nonsense came from him replicating Suhali, which in 1968 was already a museum piece.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the good news is the RO has conclusively proven fin keel boats are safer at sea than full keel boats...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, olaf hart said:

I guess the good news is the RO has conclusively proven fin keel boats are safer at sea than full keel boats...

Maybe said with tongue-in-cheek?

I doubt that the length of keel has been a major factor in any of these incidents.

The boats are slow, which is not helped by the extra wetted surface, but they'd be slow with fin keels.

Are they getting rolled because the extra grip of the full keel doesn't allow the boat to slide sideways in a breaking sea?

These boats are comparable to many cruising boats, so there's a lot be learned from the school of hard knocks that we're watching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This many knockdowns and lost rigs, when the rigs are in great condition, suggests there is a problem with these things broaching in following seas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites