QBF

The 2018 Golden Globe Race

36 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Thanks Leo I got it from on board first hand not long after they docked. I'm super happy for the guy as he fully deserves it from before and from after his VOR Cargados Carajos career defining speedbump.  

23 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

A delta of 630 mile based on the tracker distance to go is now pretty irelevant as they go away from the tracker rhumline. So your delta of 900 mile bow to stern is more accurate. 

The tracker says Slats has reeled in 120 mile on the old guy since funny maths time. So back to the funny maths.

Slats leverage has reduced from 300 to around 250 mile, largely because of easting Heede has made in the last few days. That is not good for Slats.

Slats leverage today compared to Heede when at this same latitude around 10 days ago was only 150 mile. That is even worse news for Slats. However from this point if Slats maintains his current course of 355 degrees he will be sailing around 10/15 degrees higher than Heede did in the same period so there is a prospect that leverage may increase.

What ever way you cut it I would still be chopping around 300 mile off your 900, so make that 600. Then take off 100 for the penalty box to reveal a true delta of around 500 mile. 

When I first did the funny math that true delta was 350 mile so Slats has gone down the toilet 150 mile not caught the old guy up by 120 as shown by the tracker.

The next 10 days are critical for Slats. He has to sail around 10/15 degrees higher than Heede in the same period plus not slow. The former is doable subject to weather, the last bit will be the hard bit with a doldrums exit still to do.

Pendulum has swung in the old guys favour.

I don't quite follow your logic. The tracker seems to show quite accurately now the DTF even for VDH who is far from the tracker rhumline. The tracker shows 2233 DTF for VDH and that is the shortest distance to finish. The same applies for Slats. So VDH has about 620 nm less distance to finish. Slats was much further behind 10 days ago.

The winds seem to be quite unpredictable so Slats may or may not have advantage of his more eastern position. It may be possible for VDH to get close to Spain without tacking. So far Slats seems to have had better luck with winds since Cape Horn.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joakim said:

I don't quite follow your logic. The tracker seems to show quite accurately now the DTF even for VDH who is far from the tracker rhumline. The tracker shows 2233 DTF for VDH and that is the shortest distance to finish. The same applies for Slats. So VDH has about 620 nm less distance to finish. Slats was much further behind 10 days ago.

While DTF may be accurate, using the tracker DTF to work out the delta is far from accurate. Slats is close to the tracker Rhumb line now. So what happens to his DTF when he moves away from it which he must do? His VMG starts dropping like a stone because his DTF reduces but at an increasingly slower rate. Heede on the hand as soon as he starts getting some easting his VMG will start rising because his DTF is reducing at a might higher rate.

This true delta approach is simply trying to reflect their future VMG's with a nautical mile number because the DTF one assumes they can sail direct along that line, which they can't, thus making it false. 

Copy and paste
Golden Globe Race

3 hrs · 

UPDATE Jean Luc Van Den Heede 18 Hour Time penalty.

Notice of Race 2.5.2 Course penalties...RULE...The Entrant suffering a time penalty must then return south of that latitude (Penalty time starts) and NOT cross North again of it ( within 40 miles of the crossing longitude), until the time penalty has been served. The entrant may then make for the finish line.

Situation for JL VDH...

The 18 Hours MUST be spent below the Latitude at the time of official turn at 0010UTC 5th Dec. Unfortunately JL VDH has moved North of that line at approx. 0318UTC and is currently 1.8 miles North of that line at 0620UTC. Only 3hrs and 8 minutes of his time penalty has been served and the clock does not start again until he returns south of that line so he still has 14hrs and 52 minutes to serve. He has been advised of this situation. It is NOT the responsibility of GGR to monitor entrant position in real time but GGR may provide advice at any time. #GGR2018

No photo description available.

looking at that course he is returning to complete the stupid penalty.

The way I read it, there's been a miscommunication, VDH thinks he has to wait until the penalty is over until he can pass the designated latitude on his way to the finish - he probably thinks he's just killing time.

They are restarting the penalty because he crossed the latitude limit while using celestial and DR as his go by.  Dumbest rule ever.  Is it just me or do Don's FB responses sound like this :"It is harsh, but I don't make up the rules"?

2 hours ago, littlechay said:

Comical indeed. Nothing like a bit of drama :-)  I’d like to read the “grumpy old man” complaint “tweet” by VDH that was referenced in the FB comments!  Which he’ll supposedly “regret sending.”

Wonder where that would be?  (It’s not on his team FB page.)  A radio message from him that someone transcribed and posted somewhere?  Puzzled.

0B6850D6-1502-4495-B1DB-D6FEEFD50C6E.jpeg

There will be a jury as JL has turned his grumpy text (they are not tweets)  into a formal protest.  Don is too busy right now so he is going to have a think about and meet with himself later. 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2198620000391386&id=1751709878415736

• Like 1

IMG_20190106_114755.thumb.jpg.251780f7ffa35806824d3748fbf58cea.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, littlechay said:

Don is too busy right now so he is going to have a think about and meet with himself later. 

It's too bad there's no laughing emoji.  What a mess.  

I'm starting to wonder if Kopar might be able to make a move on Uku for third.  That seems more likely than Slats catching VDH.  Not that Slats isn't doing well, but if VDH's rig stays intact I can't see him closing the gap.

Tapio seems to have been cursed to sail upwind for the last 2-3 months.  

5 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Sail south for a few hours, tack, head north a few hours, head south, etc.  How hard can it be without GPS?

You are not allowing for current.

On 1/4/2019 at 7:40 AM, jack_sparrow said:

However from this point if Slats maintains his current course of 355 degrees he will be sailing around 10/15 degrees higher than Heede did in the same period so there is a prospect that leverage may increase.

. ....The next 10 days are critical for Slats. He has to sail around 10/15 degrees higher than Heede in the same period plus not slow. The former is doable subject to weather, the last bit will be the hard bit with a doldrums exit still to do.

Approaching day 3/10 Slatts is doing exactly that..he also may even be over the hump already.

7 hours ago, spyderpig said:

You are not allowing for current.

Yeah, I realized that after I posted - even so, seems to me he should’ve easily been able to do it sans GPS (VDH should’ve allowed for possible current! :-)  By sailing further south before tacking north...!  )

17 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Yeah, I realized that after I posted - even so, seems to me he should’ve easily been able to do it sans GPS (VDH should’ve allowed for possible current! :-)  By sailing further south before tacking north...!  )

Only if he knew it was there ;)

51 minutes ago, littlechay said:

Only if he knew it was there ;)

Fair enough.  I just meant I’m a bit surprised VDH wouldn’t have left just a bit more margin for “error” - which clearly this was on his part.  If, as VDH complained, “Ils exigent une precision comme un GPS”, he should’ve been more careful, IMO.  20*N is, indeed, precise :-)

As we can plainly see, it’s part of an Anglo Master Plan to deny a Gallic victory, at all costs.  That’s what the sages on FB are saying anyway :-) :-)

45B0837D-6A19-4063-9CF7-421A09581B7F.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

The rule as it stands is not well written (just like a lot of the NOR). Jean-Luc is right that you need a GPS to be able to serve the penalty. Without it or notification from Race Control you stand every chance of over-serving the penalty. Also adding the 3 hours he was North of the line is ridiculous. The important point is that he is below the line at the end of the penalty period, it matters not a jot where he was in between the start and the end of the penalty period. (Not aimed at you Jud, I just needed say this as the whole penalty thing has put JL in a nasty hole which could cost him a lot of miles).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

it’s part of an Anglo Master Plan to deny a Gallic victory, at all costs

Yeah, but didn't some bright spark on Facepalm say that Slats was English ?  Haha .... Cloggy victory then.  La victoire des sabots :o   Breaking news, you read it here first !!

OMG How can I be surprised at this fuck up by GGR.....Oh I can't for I had called this before it happened.  This was a shit manner of penalty applied in a way that a non GPS boat  cannot hope to comply with without extending the penalty even further.

I think I remember reading up thread that he would be told when the penalty starts and if so, why then not tell him when he is close to violating it so he can correct and still perform the requirement.

The proper way to have applied this would have been to..Don.....SHUT THE FUCK UP...and let the racer figure it out him or her self.  You know, like they would had to in 19 fucking 68 before they carried YB trackers on board like big brother.  You forced 18 hours on a man who's crime was wanting to talk to loved ones mainly, because he was not in a nice moment.  Fine, be the Ass and give him 18 hours, but in truth, had you done this the proper way it would have been up to 24 as he ensured buffers related to DR and sextant navigation.

I was hard pressed to see how this race could get more embarrassing, but Don has done a fine job to take it down one more notch.  JLH has put on a master class on how to do even a POS race like this and his "reward" is to have some self centered narcissist get to play God in an attempt to shape the outcome of this race.

He should not have called it the GGR, but WWE. 

I know he won't do it, but I would cheer if Heede, first in hand, would get 100 ft from the finish, tack away and tell Done to go fuck himself.

So is this ridiculous penalty over and done with?

Sorry for asking, but was the foul this time?  I can’t be fucked to keep up to date with the rule changes all rime. 

1 hour ago, mad said:

Sorry for asking, but was the foul this time?  I can’t be fucked to keep up to date with the rule changes all rime. 

I believe the 18-hour penalty is because he called his wife on the sat phone after rolling to 150 degrees and damaging his mast, to let her know he wasn't dead.  I thought the penalty enforcement was to be enforced upon reaching 40N, but apparently it was at 20N.  The trouble was that he was required to dip back below 20N for 18 hours after crossing it, and stay below it for 18 hours...  and without being allowed to use GPS, it turned out he spent hours north of 20N, thinking he was serving his penalty, when in fact he wasn't yet.

Anyway...  it's over and done with now.  He can race Slats to the finish straight-up.

• Like 1

The penalty has been hanging over his head for months. There is only one penalty box I think.

Mom was just quicker than me.

Tapio appears to be below 46S.  Was that line waived permanently?  I thought it was just temporary for the 2 or 3 boats that were given permission to dive south to avoid storms.

7 hours ago, spyderpig said:

The rule as it stands is not well written (just like a lot of the NOR). Jean-Luc is right that you need a GPS to be able to serve the penalty. 

Why do you need a GPS? The RO rang him up the other day - said, basically, “hey, dude, you’ll cross 20N at 0010, so then head back south and, using DR, stay below 20N for 18 hrs.” How hard can it be?  VDH basically fucked up by not going far enough south, not giving himself plenty of margin, before turning around, and he didn’t know (he couldn’t have) that there was a current, which carried him above 20N for ~3 hrs.  The way I see it is he should’ve been more cognizant, but probably was tired, it was night, etc.  He fucked up —not majorly— and it’s a stupid penalty, but he did.  I mean, he hasn’t needed a GPS so far to get around and stay out of the “no go” zones in southern S. Pacific...

Anyway...moving on...his problem now really seems to be lack of wind (and compromised mast), as Slats tries to hunt him down.

5 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Tapio appears to be below 46S.  Was that line waived permanently?  I thought it was just temporary for the 2 or 3 boats that were given permission to dive south to avoid storms.

Looks like you’re right. The RO is probably still asleep in France at the moment (0145), unaware.  

Quick - somebody fire off a text to Tapio - or he’ll be doing the 20N penalty dance later on in the Atlantic too!! :-)

53 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Looks like you’re right. The RO is probably still asleep in France at the moment (0145), unaware.  

Quick - somebody fire off a text to Tapio - or he’ll be doing the 20N penalty dance later on in the Atlantic too!! :-)

Well, the fact is that these boats are so slow that just requiring them to do 720° circles would be a severe punishment for almost any infraction.  

2 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Why do you need a GPS? The RO rang him up the other day - said, basically, “hey, dude, you’ll cross 20N at 0010, so then head back south and, using DR, stay below 20N for 18 hrs.” How hard can it be?  VDH basically fucked up by not going far enough south, not giving himself plenty of margin, before turning around, and he didn’t know (he couldn’t have) that there was a current, which carried him above 20N for ~3 hrs.  The way I see it is he should’ve been more cognizant, but probably was tired, it was night, etc.  He fucked up —not majorly— and it’s a stupid penalty, but he did.  I mean, he hasn’t needed a GPS so far to get around and stay out of the “no go” zones in southern S. Pacific...

Anyway...moving on...his problem now really seems to be lack of wind (and compromised mast), as Slats tries to hunt him down.

See, the hiccup in that logic is that the RO "rang up" the competitor to tell him, within a very close distance", time to turn south.  Now, You're on a boat, not GPS, no way to know, in that moment were you are...exactly, and yet you turn south.

How far south.  At what angle?  maybe it is night and no stars so it is all DR....maybe you get a sight (if you are sharp), but still have to go to DR.  You sail south.

Can you see the lines on the ocean?

You sail south as best you can with a broken mast.  You look at a watch, you gauge the average speed, you turn back thinking...Current speed, time heading south, (was my course good?) and head back thinking you are ticking off a penalty (one that is bullshit).

The RO told him when to start, the RO is watching his course, the RO has the ability to then tell him....no...stop..you are not done.  he does not.

Do not throw this on a man who has sailed a few thousand miles, after getting pitchpoled and repairing a mast and sailing a few thousand more, and say "you didn't need a GPS"...when the POS RO told him when to start.

If his penalty is vacated and it's back to a one on race, then I'll still put money on the old man.

btw, from past reading, the RO was apt to tell boats if they were going to hit the no go zone so your point there is not quite correct.  The rest of it, he had good weather support and knew where to put his boat when.

Don fucked up...not Heede.

50 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

Don fucked  is a fuck up...not Heede.

FIFY

9 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

By the time Tapio reaches 20N all other boats are at home. Will Don still bother with penalties and will somebody be still following Tapio's slow progress?

7 hours ago, Joakim said:

By the time Tapio reaches 20N all other boats are at home. Will Don still bother with penalties and will somebody be still following Tapio's slow progress?

In yesterday's skipper updates, Don indicated that Tapio has wondered if he might break the record for slowest circumnavigation.  I'm not sure if he's serious or not, nor whether Tapio actually said something like that (versus Don speculating that Tapio must be thinking that, or something along those lines).  Since the whole race is a novelty anyway, I find the question interesting.  It's a difficult "record" to define...  I assume we'd have to be talking about a solo record starting and finishing in Europe without using the Panama Canal...  and either truly nonstop or at least with no assistance or landfall during stoppages.  Something along those lines..  Similar to the rules to be ratified for the "fastest solo non-stop circumnavigation" record, just on the slow end instead.  Anyone have any idea what the record would be?

The slowest I can find are RKJ on Suhali at 313 days Eastabout, and Wilfried Erdmann on Kathena Nui Westabout in 343 days (2000-2001).  I found slower circumnavigations, but they seem to all be with stops and/or crewed and/or not on what I understand to be a qualifying route (but perhaps I'm wrong about what qualifies a route).

So...  has anyone done a qualifying solo non-stop voyage Eastabout SLOWER than Suhali?  Or in either direction slower than Kathena Nui?  Just how slow would Tapio have to be in order to claim the distinction?  (And...  does he have enough food to do it?)

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

In yesterday's skipper updates, Don indicated that Tapio has wondered if he might break the record for slowest circumnavigation.  I'm not sure if he's serious or not, nor whether Tapio actually said something like that (versus Don speculating that Tapio must be thinking that, or something along those lines).  Since the whole race is a novelty anyway, I find the question interesting.  It's a difficult "record" to define...  I assume we'd have to be talking about a solo record starting and finishing in Europe without using the Panama Canal...  and either truly nonstop or at least with no assistance or landfall during stoppages.  Something along those lines..  Similar to the rules to be ratified for the "fastest solo non-stop circumnavigation" record, just on the slow end instead.  Anyone have any idea what the record would be?

The slowest I can find are RKJ on Suhali at 313 days Eastabout, and Wilfried Erdmann on Kathena Nui Westabout in 343 days (2000-2001).  I found slower circumnavigations, but they seem to all be with stops and/or crewed and/or not on what I understand to be a qualifying route (but perhaps I'm wrong about what qualifies a route).

So...  has anyone done a qualifying solo non-stop voyage Eastabout SLOWER than Suhali?  Or in either direction slower than Kathena Nui?  Just how slow would Tapio have to be in order to claim the distinction?  (And...  does he have enough food to do it?)

Well, I doubt he's even in the running for that "award".  For example, I started sailing in the 1970's and haven't made it even a third of the way around yet.

And then, there is always Reed Stowe, who was accompanied by his Parmesan Cheeseball, so I guess that wasn't single-handed.  

19 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Well, I doubt he's even in the running for that "award".  For example, I started sailing in the 1970's and haven't made it even a third of the way around yet.

And then, there is always Reed Stowe, who was accompanied by his Parmesan Cheeseball, so I guess that wasn't single-handed.  

Hence the need to qualify with the same standards as a fastest "solo nonstop circumnavigation".  I assume you haven't been going nonstop since the 70s.  ;)

Has anyone done it slower, solo nonstop, than RKJ and Erdmann?

I set about swimming around the world. Unfortunately I abandoned after getting a cramp after 100 metres, actually only 50m because I waded the first 50. Anyway if it helps my calculations were 3-5 years with antifouling, 4-6 without.

20 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

This is all a storm in a teacup. The rule is shit. It should have read something along the lines of "on passing 20N the vessel shall loiter in the area before again passing South to North across 20N after 18 hours have passed, and within 40NM of the original point". This would allow the competitor to tack back and forth across the line as JL was doing and result in exactly the same time penalty without requiring such precise navigation. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Picking up on Tapio again, I wonder why he’s still below the no-go zone line/latitude - and why no mention of it.  I dug back a few days on GGR FB site and saw no mention of him being given an allowance (as Istvan was earlier, to avoid a storm).

Am I missing something?  Tracker inaccurate?

13 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Picking up on Tapio again, I wonder why he’s still below the no-go zone line/latitude - and why no mention of it.  I dug back a few days on GGR FB site and saw no mention of him being given an allowance (as Istvan was earlier, to avoid a storm).

Am I missing something?  Tracker inaccurate?

The no-go-zone was lifted for the Tapio's Ark (weekly satellite call) because of an approaching storm. Later storm vanished. And only "now" he has crossed the forbidden line.
Only the RO knows if the no-no-zone was lifted only for that storm or generally. I see the Ark being too slow and as such a safety risk for itself, sooner Tapio gets away better.

0800Z 4.8 knots was likely his record since Hobart.

53 minutes ago, littlechay said:

This is all a storm in a teacup. The rule is shit. It should have read something along the lines of "on passing 20N the vessel shall loiter in the area before again passing South to North across 20N after 18 hours have passed, and within 40NM of the original point". This would allow the competitor to tack back and forth across the line as JL was doing and result in exactly the same time penalty without requiring such precise navigation. 

Could have stopped right there.

3 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Hence the need to qualify with the same standards as a fastest "solo nonstop circumnavigation".  I assume you haven't been going nonstop since the 70s.  ;)

Has anyone done it slower, solo nonstop, than RKJ and Erdmann?

As far as I can tell, these tubs have been pretty much stopped for most of the trip.  How else do you explain an average of 3.5 knots across the south pacific. 

On the other hand, according to my doctor, except for that one regrettable defibrillator incident, I have indeed been going non-stop since the 70's.  

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I set about swimming around the world. Unfortunately I abandoned after getting a cramp after 100 metres, actually only 50m because I waded the first 50. Anyway if it helps my calculations were 3-5 years with antifouling, 4-6 without.

You might need more anti-fouling than the average bloke.

4 hours ago, Your Mom said:

If anti-fouling was painted on Jack it would immediately slough off saying ' Jack has his unique formula of fouling and does not need us'.  I would also contest his statement for I swear I read once he was some crazy ass long distance swimmer...or was that staysail?  Hard to keep up with these curmudgeons   You do give an idea to having the GGR being swimmers going round the world with a GGR boat as support.  The main issue might be that the swimmer would be having to slow down and wait for the boat to catch up to them.

17 hours ago, Texcom said:

The no-go-zone was lifted for the Tapio's Ark (weekly satellite call) because of an approaching storm. Later storm vanished. And only "now" he has crossed the forbidden line.
Only the RO knows if the no-no-zone was lifted only for that storm or generally. I see the Ark being too slow and as such a safety risk for itself, sooner Tapio gets away better.

0800Z 4.8 knots was likely his record since Hobart.

Now they're advising Tapio to get North as fast as he can to avoid the next storm.  They've got him zig-zagging S-N while storm after storm come along, when he really just needs to get to Cape Horn and get out of harm's way.

One tough thing with 4ksb's is that since you can only do 100 nm per day, you have to start routing away from these storms when they're still 4 days away...  which means the forecast may well be wrong.  He could easily spend a day gaining 100 nm to the North only to discover tomorrow that the storm is going to run him over anyway.

18 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Wot you on about. I have too run around in the shower to get wet.

2 hours ago, r.finn said:

VDH is serving a week long sentence.  Terrible.

Funny maths. Nose to tail now low 600's. Leverage to Slats around 200. Then the new funny math is how far is old guy from getting fast easting = oodles before Slats. Unless stick falls down the old guy at least 4 days on the piss before the cloggie appppears at the finish.

11 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Funny maths. Nose to tail now low 600's. Leverage to Slats around 200. Then the new funny math is how far is old from getting fast easting = oodles before Slats. Unless stick falls down the old guy at least 4 days on the piss before the cloggie appppears at the finish.

If VDH didn't have a compromised mast, I wouldn't see a problem.  Hopefully this "time to reflect" for him also results in better mast reinforcement.  

The latest tweets suggest Tapio has had trouble with water ingress in his forward compartment.  Between that and the barnacles, I really fear for his safety.  He seriously needs to get around Cape Horn before he gets run over by a huge storm.  His boatspeed is too slow to do much avoidance, and the longer he's there, the more it's simply pushing luck.  I'm pondering the physics of a little boat covered in barnacles with water forward in large seas, and I'm having trouble envisioning any results better than the boat burying its bow, turning sideways, and rolling over.

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

The latest tweets suggest Tapio has had trouble with water ingress in his forward compartment.  Between that and the barnacles, I really fear for his safety. 

547755342_CaptureTapio.PNG.8064509e5c266b997410526021057621.PNGI can see why you might be concerned Mom.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 4:19 AM, r.finn said:

If VDH didn't have a compromised mast, I wouldn't see a problem.  Hopefully this "time to reflect" for him also results in better mast reinforcement.  

Didn’t VDH choose a light weight shorter mast as part of his refit ?

2 hours ago, Third Reef said:

Recall Don talking about thinner section in the video with his mate who bought the old mast...was extolling wisdom of that choice back then, but that may have been more about reduced length.

4 hours ago, Third Reef said:

Better. Replaced a new one with a shorter one after a rethink. Don't know of any wall thickness difference.

There have been two Rustler 36 pitchpoles in this race, guess which one survived. 

4 hours ago, Laser1 said:

Mark now closing fast.  Restart 2K miles from the finish.  Bring it on!

Not according funny math

From the 1000 mile lead VHD held when Slats rounded Cape Horn almost 6 weeks ago, the big lead has dropped so slowly to the present 200 miles despite Slats gaining with better wind most all of that time. The change took that long even with VDH doing the ridiculous penalty.  It appears the tide will turn to help VDH now, hard to be sure with the fickle winds, but what a different experience to watch the crawl of the modest boats allowing Slats to tick down the lead over so many weeks.  The new world created by the IMOCA / VOR / Ultimes sees the boats covering between half to the whole planet in that time!  The "new normal" fast paced boats amplify the conditions to make us accustomed to much quicker changes in the racing distances.  The languid pace of this lap provides a perspective from the past. In that regard, the sailors of the GGR 2018 are accomplishing its goal.

Meanwhile, over at the Longue Route, it is great to see Suzanne Huber-Curphey follow Moitessier to round the Cape of Good Hope a second time to save her soul.  Another perspective from the GGR 1968.

1 hour ago, tama_manu said:

The new world created by the IMOCA / VOR / Ultimes sees the boats covering between half to the whole planet in that time!   The languid pace of this lap provides a perspective from the past. In that regard, the sailors of the GGR 2018 are accomplishing their goal.

Languid ain’t all bad.  (And, realistically, it’s probably the kind of boat that most of us can afford.)

(This is actually a great philosophical book.)

6009C477-7CA9-43BD-8D49-6F526D7C2B58.png

Nah,  go the "old guy".

3 hours ago, tama_manu said:

The new world created by the IMOCA / VOR / Ultimes sees the boats covering between half to the whole planet in that time!  The "new normal" fast paced boats amplify the conditions to make us accustomed to much quicker changes in the racing distances.  The languid pace of this lap provides a perspective from the past. In that regard, the sailors of the GGR 2018

The English language picks up the difference too.

Like if given the choice what do people chose a "fast" or a "slow" death? Or for those unlucky enough to get a manner of death choice will they wish for one involving excitement or boredom? If slow can be atractive how many prople decant their red wine versus those that just chug it down? Would you prefer to be regarded as "prompt and fleet of mind" or "tardy and retarded"? In the battlefield which bullets would you like to come out of the barrel of that gun, the "rapid firing high volocity" or "intermittent slow" ones? Why is there the term "double quick" but not "double slow" or "red hot" but not "blue cold"?

Tama if convention is going to be turned on its head and this race is going to be "holding on to it downhill" going beyond the novelty.stage, then maybe I will have to read Aldous Huxley's Brave New World backwards to understand why.

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

In the battlefield which bullets would you like to come out of the barrel of that gun, the "rapid firing high volocity" or "intermittent slow" ones?

Rodney Dangerfield used to say that in his old neighborhood, the tough guys didn't shoot you; they inserted the bullets manually.  If I'm the victim, I'm going with high velocity...

• Like 1

Funny guy. He also said his neighbourhood was so tough, that when he put his hand in some cement he felt another hand.

Just saw on a thread in main forum, Robin Davies is overdue into Falmouth. Not good 

Story on GGR Facebook page now.

Doesn't sound good for the guy. Always seemed a decent sort on the livestreams with the fucking idiot who runs this.... occurrence. 

That is not very good in that small postcode and in pretty benign conditions as reported. They are in fact the ones that catch even the most experienced SH out.

7 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

That is not very good in that small postcode and in pretty benign conditions as reported. They are in fact the ones that catch even the most experienced SH out.

Very very busy area for shipping. 

12 minutes ago, Icedtea said:

Very very busy area for shipping. 

Stats don't favour that. Falling off through complacency is the biggest threat for SH's. I hope not. He seemed like a very decent and experienced fellow you would like to know.

Again with his experience I would not favour a run down over a onboard incident. I hope we are speaking hypothetical and this works out. However the time line looks very depressing.

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Again with his experience I would not favour a run down over a onboard incident. I hope we are speaking hypothetical and this works out. However the time line looks very depressing.

Agreed. 

Also imagine he would have been well within VHF range of other vessels.

Can't say I feel good about this one

13 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

@sidmon started a seperate RD thread.

Icedtea crossposted here a couple hours after I put that up...

It is understood that Davie, who is from St Agnes in Cornwall,  doesn’t have AIS or an EPIRB, and just a hand-held VHF radio. He does have a liferaft, complete with GPS and a spare VHF.
Read more at https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/news/alert-issued-overdue-british-solo-sailor-robin-davie-68556#IfWeT5jxsIHiac7k.99

The luddite GGR mindset proves just a bit problematic once more.  

2 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

It is understood that Davie, who is from St Agnes in Cornwall,  doesn’t have AIS or an EPIRB, and just a hand-held VHF radio. He does have a liferaft, complete with GPS and a spare VHF.
Read more at https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/news/alert-issued-overdue-british-solo-sailor-robin-davie-68556#IfWeT5jxsIHiac7k.99

The luddite GGR mindset proves just a bit problematic once more.  

I wouldn't assume luddite here.  From personal experience, this can sometimes be a $ problem.   

12 minutes ago, r.finn said:

I wouldn't assume luddite here.  From personal experience, this can sometimes be a $ problem.   

Money can certainly be a issue.  No argument there.  But...he just did a complete refit including a new mast and new rigging.  Adding AIS would be a rounding error on that project.  And if there is any place on the planet that having AIS would be valuable for a single-hander it would be on slow sailboat crossing the English Channel.

4 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Money can certainly be a issue.  No argument there.  But...he just did a complete refit including a new mast and new rigging.  Adding AIS would be a rounding error on that project.  And if there is any place on the planet that having AIS would be valuable for a single-hander it would be on slow sailboat crossing the English Channel.

He’s been “found” (just checked in via VHF).  A bit overdue, is all.  But people love jumping to conclusions (lost, Luddite, etc).  Sheesh.   

As you were. :-)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2202166426703410&id=1751709878415736

Well he is going to be well suited to this race.

I wonder if he just dropped off somewhere and got on the piss for a few days? 

Back to our regular program.  VDH/Slats delta now 185 Nm .... not allowing for the funny math.

And VDH now on his supposedly fragile port tack with Slats gaining 23Nm on him last 24 Hrs.

Go Mark!!

If Slats gets into the same weather system as VDH he can make it a close call. So in 4 days we will know with the low coming from the US.

Slats had been using the desalinator in the grab bag for a week without a penalty. Has this been allowed all the time or has the rules been relaxed once again?