QBF

The 2018 Golden Globe Race

38 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

This comment from Goodall was an eye opener.

Today, Goodall highlighted a problem most are facing: Low cloud cover is restricting their ability to get a sun sight. “I’m worried about finding the Canaries.” She reported.

Hmm, they all would’ve been well served, before leaving, to have studied David Burch’s great book, ’Emergency Navigation,’ as well as Jack Lagan’s ‘The Barefoot Navigator’...

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

The mark drop off Marina Rubicon...over half a day before they get there..Finding it at night should be fun. The RO cracks me up...admiration on one hand..on the other he couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery...then again that is flavour of this thing.

The guy says leave the mark to Port? NOR says starboard which would be right else the boats would go nowhere near the Canaries.

2 hours ago, spyderpig said:

The guy says leave the mark to Port? NOR says starboard which would be right else the boats would go nowhere near the Canaries.

He also said they’re going fast.(It’s all relative :-) )

He got his tongue tied ...also said they go around between mark and the dirt which would then leave it to starboard.

So they have to find a 3' big yellow bouy, using only a sextant and the sky is overcast.  Will they even find the island?

4 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Hmm, they all would’ve been well served, before leaving, to have studied David Burch’s great book, ’Emergency Navigation,’ as well as Jack Lagan’s ‘The Barefoot Navigator’...

Burch's techniques won't be more accurate than celestial, however they should be able to pick up cloud patterns and such as they close in, and switch to pilotage. None of leading half dozen or so are far enough away that they can't find the islands by DR. However they might not know where they are :)

Another good book: "The natural Navigator" Tristan Gooley 

59 minutes ago, Foolish said:

So they have to find a 3' big yellow bouy, using only a sextant and the sky is overcast.  Will they even find the island?

No they only have to find an archipelago by celestial navigation, the buoy they will find by very standard pilotage.

5 hours ago, bucc5062 said:

Pretty good recap here with some added news regarding equipment issues.  Self steering systems on a number of boats are failing and at least one competitor may stop to try and repair. 

I wonder if they have actual faults with their self steering or the problem is with the operator? They can be tricky to get the hang of and a couple of thousand miles might not give enough experience in enough conditions.

I went to the skippers pages and had a look at the two boats reported as having problems and one has a liferaft lashed in front of his windvane, the other has horseshoe boys on his stern rails. I know from experience that crap lashed to the stern rails like that can upset windvanes in light airs. They are alone so could easily lose the horseshoes and stow them in the cabin or a locker and clean up the airflow. They may also have rigged sun-shades etc.. I'm sure they are thinking about these things but if their sleep management is off perhaps they are not thinking clearly. 

Changing the size and balance of the vanes can help a lot (it is not just about the weight), the angle of attack, laying the vane down to let the counter weight work better in light air and ocean swell.. there are many tricks .

LATEST SAT TEXT...

ARE wiig.. FINE MORNING FOR SAILING,ALL ONBORD FUNC OK,NO GEARFAIL SOFAR
Susie… LOSTSIGHTOF UKU&ARE SADLY.JUST OCEAN AGAIN
JL VDH.. CIEL TOUJOURS COUVERT DEPUIS 3 JOURS!ETONNANT POUR LA REGION
Tapio… 6THXCALLEDKKHAVINGSTARTEDANOTHEABCHANGEDTOKEFEXINBTWYB3ALLOWMAX
Nabil.. IM DRIVING THIS GOOD SHIP
Mark slats.. ALL GOOD I HOPE SEXTANT WORKS OK OTHERWISE I MIS THE CANERIE
UKU… LANZAROTE, HERE WE COME! 200 MILES TO CO
Abhilash… VIPASANA GETS OVER IN 9DAYS. I AM ON 11TH
Coconut… FANTASTIC TO HEAR ON BBC4 200KHZ THAI BOYS RESCUED FROM CAYE 
Coconut…RUNNIMG S 300NM OFF COAST OF MOROCCO BEFORE NW FORCE
Antoine… DERNIER CONCOMBRE ON ATTAQUE LE CHOUX EN SALADE
Antoine… FOOTBALL WORLD CUP & HAPPY HOURS TONIGHT!!
Philippe… ALL GOOD ROUGH N!GT HF NOTWORK!NG
Philippe… WILLDROP 6S8 +1FILM +1TAPE +1LETTER TKS PP
Istvan… 374I HAVE HAVE BEEN SENDINGMSGDAILY
Gregor… 22POSITION GOT,WEATHER FAIR,COFFEE ON, VERY HIGH SPIRITS ONBOAR Position: 33' 25.085 N 012' 03.335 W at 09:15 UTC

Philipe still no HF. That's a worry. 

• Like 1

Philipe report earlier today he had found the fault and his HF was now working OK. On gthe other hand he reported problems with his self-steering with the blade coming out of the water and not able to get it back in. Sounds like he was lucky not to damage his spinnaker. After lowering his main as well he says he got it back working, nice he calls it Otto.

26 minutes ago, spyderpig said:

Philipe report earlier today he had found the fault and his HF was now working OK.

That was from his weekly soundbite dated the 10th. The above sat text dated the 11th indicating HF not working.

4 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

That was from his weekly soundbite dated the 10th. The above sat text dated the 11th indicating HF not working.

Bugger, I thought the report about the HF was the one on the 8th, hopefully he can sort it soon.

2 hours ago, littlechay said:

Burch's techniques won't be more accurate than celestial, however they should be able to pick up cloud patterns and such as they close in, and switch to pilotage. None of leading half dozen or so are far enough away that they can't find the islands by DR. However they might not know where they are :)

Raced to Hawaii with Dave B as navigator.  Took his course as well.  Really nice guy.  We played with celestial on the way across for fun and keep in practice. 

Dave always knew where he was...when asked "Where are we?" in mid-Pacific, he'd point to the cabin sole and his feet, and say "We're right here, where did you think you were?  More important, why we aren't going faster?"  

Interesting corrected stats now that are nearly on the same line. Slats 1 mile in front of Heede and sailed 9 less miles. Peche 47 miles in front of Slats and sailed 34 more miles.

Peche and to lesser extent Heede are happy  to go looking for the breeze and or optimising wind angles for better VMG and auto pilot efficiency. Slats has largely been straight lining it. That seems to indicate that when they get to around Cape Verde and have to pick a line to get around the Cape of Good Hope, Slats may be at a disadvantage in the routing department.

Natural Navigator - good book. 

One they should have on board for when they're down in our neck of the woods (or anywhere) is David Lewis's We, the Navigators. Seminal book that resurrected Polynesian traditional nav. 

9 minutes ago, AKL wino said:

Natural Navigator - good book. 

One they should have on board for when they're down in our neck of the woods (or anywhere) is David Lewis's We, the Navigators. Seminal book that resurrected Polynesian traditional nav. 

Yes a good book. Not the easiest read due to his writing style but good content :) 

The OD aspect of this race with the Rustler brigade is a plus in terms limiting spread in the fleet and keeping interest up. I wonder if that was the RO's intention? Peche seemed to know to the kilo the stores he had to move to get to the HF transciever so my guess he is not carrying any weight that is not essential and boat remains balanced as it lightens up down the track.

Probably a matter of no money left in the tin, but a few more drop marks/gates would also help keep eyes on the race such as Cape Verde, Cape Town and maybe even Dunedin. 

• Like 1

Not sure what to think about this... does he know where the buoy is?

2F6F48D5-2449-44A9-ADEB-2634A95DD7B8.jpeg

14 minutes ago, vesa said:

Because of the tracker update interval of 3 hours some very weird tracks will appear including overlanding and not going around the mark etc. The RO might pay YB the extra bucks to reduce the interval maybe??

In Peche's case there is around a hour and half of interpolation on map based on last SOG/COG since last upload off the boat at 0400 UTC. At 0700 UTC update he will be ploughing a canal.

9 minutes ago, vesa said:

It was dark, he is sailing on DR, probably waiting until it was safe to make the turn and be approaching the island and mark in the daylight. A couple or three hours have passed now so I expect he is well on his way on the run in. 

15 minutes ago, littlechay said:

It was dark, he is sailing on DR, probably waiting until it was safe to make the turn and be approaching the island and mark in the daylight. 

Explanation ^^^ That aside wind tracker back to 0200 UTC. Dark and a lee shore not worrying him slide down beside the dirt. There is a light on the SW corner to take bearings off when making the turn.

9 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Explanation ^^^ That aside wind tracker back to 0200 UTC. Dark and a lee shore not worrying him slide down beside the dirt. There is a light on the SW corner to take bearings off when making the turn.

Well it seemed like an explanation! 

Capture.JPG

20 minutes ago, littlechay said:

Well it seemed like an explanation

Another 30 minutes he will have turned back and grown wheels. I was going to explain he had caught the disease "Early Onset Moitessier", but thought some would think I was serious.

RO needs a kick up the bum for not having YB reduce the update interval here as this could seriously worry some people.

14642218_1757659077820816_51323173134255

4 mins · 

Opps!! PRB MISSED the mark and sailed straight past a huge light house and headed to another island so is now headed back into the wind to Marina Rubicon...we have been out waiting beside the lighthouse so will go live when he comes back .

Posted on Facebook
  • Like 1

So, that's straight from the horse's mouth.

Communication ballsup?

Did they have a known waypoint when they left or was it "somewhere in the Canaries"?

Probably some French expletives on board just now.

Looks like a minimum of 11 miles upwind sailing, probably going to take 3 to 4 hours. I wonder if Philippe realised his mistake or did the RO get on the sat phone?

Trivia. The original lighthouse built 1866. New one 1988. Range of 17nm. Fl (3) W 30s. Focal height 55m. One of the tallest in the Canarys.

Maybe someone tripped over the extension cord?

Lanzarote_Faro_de_Pechiguera_R07.jpg

One of the most experienced...albeit was around only 20yo when GPS first appeared....Don't think Heede will miss it albeit daylight now..the RO is going to be shitting himself now at afterdark roundings by the newbies...it might be like a bowling alley full of drunks. I hope the island is insured or has soft rocks.

6 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

soft rocks

The canaries are very sharp, unlike me at this time of day.

6 minutes ago, spyderpig said:

The canaries are very sharp

The rocks yes..but the women have soft teeth.

• Like 1

Talking of people going the wrong way Are appears to be heading for Teneriffe, much nicer than Lanzarote but not getting the job done.

Tracker just updated with Peche about 2nm from the mark.

Go to GGR Facebook for hopefully a live rounding by PBR....adjust your display settings to reduce red glow from Peche's face.

LIVE MARK ROUND IS UP

PS. Now stopped as still a mile or so from the mark...but back soon..RO obviously has a bandwidth budget but great shoestring media effort

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, spyderpig said:

Talking of people going the wrong way Are appears to be heading for Teneriffe, much nicer than Lanzarote but not getting the job done.

DDW gybe angles 

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

DDW gybe angles

Looks like he has gybed now.

Love the live feed telling Philippe the mark is under the left hill.

Well, that was really crazy: Phillppe transferring his film, etc. to a fishing net on a pole  because he had no wind. The contrast to the VOR could not be greater (except the "no wind" bit, on occasion). 

3 hours ago, spyderpig said:

I wonder if Philippe realised his mistake or did the RO get on the sat phone?

Under SI's that is external assistance if that occured then we have  "Lighthousegate". However where Peche turned around (just south of the tracker position) was directly abeam a shore light where, albeit not big, he was very close to shore. He knew at that point he had overshot.

His excuse is actualy very understandable. He closed the western side of the rounding mark island at night, it is largely uninhabited and flat terrain so no distinguishable marks. So in short he was DRing it using a piece of string hanging off the back, but going quicker than he thought and the string told him and so over shot the turn. The lighthouse on the SW corner is actualy not on the SW corner but one headland in and whilst high is also masked by surburban development at that corner of the island. His approach angle parallel to the coast meant that the two islands would have blended into one, with the channel between the two very hard to pickup at night.

Peche finally knew he had fucked it up without the RO sending out a "do you know where you are message" and by the way with what? Their YB text trackers are only turned on to TX once a day, Peche's HF was down and did he have his VHF on?

The other thing is don't judge his actual course by the Tracker. Having a 3 hour update interval it smoothes out actual positions between say 20nm when doing as he was 6k+ SOG. He was around 12nm from the mark when he realised he screwed up.

Under World Sailings RRS 41 the RO could have done that warning with no penalty on account no advantage was involved. However for this race the SI's overide those provisions for outside assistance to the extent it is a no go zone for this race. So my reakoning is the RO said nothing and just watched Peche sail south shitting himself.

So no "Lighthousegate" and ironicaly something that just sort of fits into this whole race genre. It is weird but sort of refreshing.

My two bobs worth.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Under World Sailings RRS 41 the RO could have done that warning with no penalty on account no advantage was involved. However for this race the SI's overide those provisions for outside assistance to the extent it is a no go zone for this race. So my reakoning is the RO said nothing and just watched Peche sail south shitting himself.

Unfortunately RRS forms no part of the rules for this race, but I suppose back in 1968 the did not use the equivalent then. Great coverage though especially considering the shortage of funds. I need to stop watching and get on with sorting my boat.

Are they allowed RDF? Anyone have it?

Back in the day I figured sun sights and DR were to get me in range of the radio beacon at my destination.

8 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Are they allowed RDF? Anyone have it?

Back in the day I figured sun sights and DR were to get me in range of the radio beacon at my destination.

If they have a portable radio aboard they have it :)

48 minutes ago, spyderpig said:

Unfortunately RRS forms no part of the rules for this race, but I suppose back in 1968 the did not use the equivalent then.

They actually did.  The Royal rules at that time banished anything high tech electronic notwithstading Chichester went around the fastest solo 2 years before (but with a stop in Australia cutting him out of the 1968 no stop deal) with a full suite of B&G instruments on board, albeit some in Betta form and not all available off the shelf even at the time the GGR started in 1968.The Royals didn't relax that ruling until the early 70's. Great example of rules stiffling inovation. VOR listen up.

As for RO's that fuck around with the RRS's that get tested every week around the globe be they good or bad they cover nearly every outcome. I think Left? mentioned this upthread. RO's that do so do it at their peril because most controversial decisions emanate from those rules being fucked with, mostly for enhancing entries or for marketing reasons. 

Start with last edition of S2H then go backwards.

19 minutes ago, littlechay said:

If they have a portable radio aboard they have it :)

Chay but they are not allowed  to listen to anything post and including the White Album??

images (1).png

It seems to take a while before Facefuck Live linkys can be copied and imbedded. Someone smarter than me knows why so..maybe a simple view with no push marketing discourage thing? I'm FB illiterate.

Here is Peche's rounding.

And Slats but the RO is doing a Charlie Chaplin no talky production. For those wondering why they are not in and out, the SI's stipulate a mandatory one sail slow (20 minutes I think) rounding rule

21 hours ago, spyderpig said:

Live answered that question it is now a port rounding not a starboard passing mark as first mooted we thought. 

Heede just rounded Live on FB much fresher conditions than the first two. Will post linky when FB allows.

On 7/11/2018 at 7:43 AM, ALL@SEA said:

Pretty sure I read that Heede shortened his rig by the best part of a meter, so light to moderate breezes won't be his strong point.

On 7/11/2018 at 9:26 AM, jack_sparrow said:

I think he may have done more to his boat than Peche including a new rig so doubtful a chop job. He did do some heavy weather Biscay testing so maybe one aspect he was keen to capaitalise on by design.

The Ole Man of the Sea around the mark. Good spotting All@Sea..he does have a stumpy rig.

Press Release, no explanation about missing lighthouse

http://goldengloberace.com/drama-philippe-peche-sacrifices-a-4-hour-lead-with-navigation-mistake-at-first-gate-of-lanzarote/?preview_id=3226

Good pics on FB that unfortunately locked and can't download.

These two from above PR.. Peche going uphill back to the drop mark and Slatts steering a lot and rowing up to 6 hours?? Can't say I get that idea.

Peche now into some real breeze doing high 7's and already back to a 25 mile lead over Heede. Slats sailing 20 degrees higher than both of them which is a bit of a puzzle. Maybe he tends to double wing square more DDW?

One thing I did note from above vids is Peche looks to have more string on his boat than anyone else and some nice custom touches like the twin poles off lower mast mounts etc.

Philippe_Peche_Marina_Rubicon_sail_away.jpg

Mark_Slats_hands_Marina_Rubicon.jpg

It would be great to have a routing option like the VOR tracker had.  It would be fascinating to compare optimal routing to what is actually sailed.  Once they swing past the Verdes do they head out further into the Atlantic and try to do more long reaches or head more directly south and tack back and forth in the prevailing that looks like it would be on the nose?  After following the VOR twice I understand better why they swing way around, but with a displacement boat....curious to hear from experienced folks that may have sailed that route.  Adding miles on a boat locked into a max speed does not seem to be the best choice with supplies that are meant to last the whole trip.

Some nice video footage of the drop off.  Still some close sailing back in the pack which may make the drop off a busy place the next few days.

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Chay but they are not allowed  to listen to anything post and including the White Album??

images (1).png

Lots of South American stations still playing Los Beatles ;) 

35 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

One thing I did note from above vids is Peche looks to have more string on his boat than anyone else and some nice custom touches like the twin poles off lower mast mounts etc.

I was looking at the string too. I plan on doing something similar with the poles on my own boat for DW work. Heede's rig looks like the local boats that have been in my home port a long time. If you never hoist the sail past the 1st reef (or even the second) you may as well cut the top of the mast and the bottom off the sail :)

11 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I missed the lighthouse by this much

36969652_2073887509531303_175861219800907776_o.jpg

The most experienced and the only one using harness (so far).

33 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

Once they swing past the Verdes do they head out further into the Atlantic and try to do more long reaches or head more directly south

They don't have enough BS to visit Brazil twice on this tour and down wind on these things best VMG is deep, not gybing all the time.

19 minutes ago, littlechay said:

I was looking at the string too. 

I think he was too .... maybe a contributer to lighthouse blindness? I think he is pretty busy on that thing..the extra BS he is getting doesn't appear by magic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bucc5062 said:

Once they swing past the Verdes do they head out further into the Atlantic and try to do more long reaches or head more directly south and tack back and forth in the prevailing that looks like it would be on the nose? 

There are several things to consider even without access to weather forecasts. Firstly the dreaded doldrums which move about. Secondly the Saint Helena high which sits right in the middle of the South Atlantic giving you headwinds if you try to go down the east. Thirdly the Benguela current which flows up the eastern side of the South Atlantic and south down the coast of Brazil although by this time it is not called the Benguela current. And finally , especially at this time of the year , tropical rotating storms are forming. So best plan for me would be go south from the Canaries until, as the proverb says, the butter melts, then go to the west of the Cape Verdes, and head SSW into the doldrums. Once through, I agree with Jack not too close to Brazil but beware going East too soon and wait until about level with Namibia then gently start your turn such that you will be going East and pass 100 miles south of Cape of Good Hope. 

Great pics of the double Genoa sail, I have never seen then used in anger. I gather Philippe poles out his on both sides. Both leading boats without furlers as well! 

Great pics of the double Genoa sail, I have never seen then used in anger. I gather Philippe poles out his on both sides. Both leading boats without furlers as well! 

If you are sailing under poled out double headsails in anything less than 35 knots, you are certainly not sailing "in anger".  

Nothing about this event is "in anger".  Actually even the AC and the VOR aren't sailed "in anger".  Very contrived phrase that somehow has gained currency and needs to be retired.  

Admittedly I've sailed with one or two owner's who did seem to have an anger problem, but that had nothing to do with sailing.

5 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

If you are sailing under poled out double headsails in anything less than 35 knots, you are certainly not sailing "in anger".  

Nothing about this event is "in anger".  Actually even the AC and the VOR aren't sailed "in anger".  Very contrived phrase that somehow has gained currency and needs to be retired.  

Admittedly I've sailed with one or two owner's who did seem to have an anger problem, but that had nothing to do with sailing.

From one of the most famous books in the English language, James Joyce’s “Ulysses” (thank you Google).  Are you calling Joyce on his language?! :-) 

- I know where he's gone, says Leneban, cracking his fingers.
- Who? says I.
- Bloom, says he. The courthouse is a blind. He had a few bob on Throwaway and he's gone to gather in the shekels.
- Is it that whiteeyed kaffir? says the citizen, that never backed a horse in anger in his life?

• Like 1

Probably the most common setuup on RTW cruisers for decades and excellent SH racing DDW in a variety of conditions. Slocum had a similar setup.

There has been a bit of a shift in recent times with furled downwind sails on  prodders following their racing cousins but the reality is they can't go DDW and are too heavy to compensate for the extra distance sailed by gybing at lower TWA's.

The advantages of twin poles versus coloured sails is no fordeck work so good for carrying a large sail plan into the night and in heavy weather and there is less rolling so more comfortable for humans and autopilot. Unhooked from wisker poles both jibs lay together and you can tack, or go off the breeze and they go to their respective sides ready to connect to wisker poles already deployed. They can be reefed/furled together just like a single headsail .

Set up is identical high clewed sails utilising twin groove headstay foil on one halyard and two wisker poles with lift and a guys. Both jibs have their own sheets so a lot of line floating around. Can be used alone or with the main. With the main wind tends to roll off main onto windward jib and then around to the blanketed leward jib.

There are many varients like Armel have a articulating fixed wisker poles on mast ball joints arrangement and a halyard lock to carry a jib and a light coloured balloon type sail both on their own halyards and together. See photo.

These guys with hanked on sails the system is obviously not so simple at hoist, strike and reef time. The extra speed they get certainly comes with a lot more effort. They also have a large overlapping headsail for windward work to deal with.

furling-ballooner.jpg

There are several things to consider even without access to weather forecasts. Firstly the dreaded doldrums which move about. Secondly the Saint Helena high which sits right in the middle of the South Atlantic giving you headwinds if you try to go down the east. Thirdly the Benguela current which flows up the eastern side of the South Atlantic and south down the coast of Brazil although by this time it is not called the Benguela current. And finally , especially at this time of the year , tropical rotating storms are forming. So best plan for me would be go south from the Canaries until, as the proverb says, the butter melts, then go to the west of the Cape Verdes, and head SSW into the doldrums. Once through, I agree with Jack not too close to Brazil but beware going East too soon and wait until about level with Namibia then gently start your turn such that you will be going East and pass 100 miles south of Cape of Good Hope. 

^^^^^^ and i guess they will have an old copy of the Admiralty "Ocean Passages of the world" or equivalent from other hydrographic offices aboard. The 1973 version was the last to be published with the wallet of charts, I think. Superb reference, admittedly slightly dated but not enough to worry competitors in an event of this type. It's great to pull the charts out and plan. 

https://www.amazon.com/NP-136-Ocean-Passages-World/dp/B000KEY75A/ref=pd_cp_14_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=80460301815383741&pf_rd_r=V9KAEM46CEJW4R51HY3D&pd_rd_wg=xtoe3&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=BvQKj&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=f9f8b456-8633-11e8-abf4-0dab813930ac&pd_rd_i=B000KEY75A&psc=1&refRID=V9KAEM46CEJW4R51HY3D&dpID=41qoT39Q4CL&preST=_SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=detail

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

These guys with hanked on sails the system is obviously not so simple at hoist, strike and reef time. The extra speed they get certainly comes with a lot more effort. They also have a large overlapping headsail for windward work to deal with.

This one is a single double leeched sail I think ? Just one set of hanks but no reefing option.

36981021_2073991592854228_9146423802211598336_o.jpg

5 minutes ago, littlechay said:

This one is a single double leeched sail I think ? Just one set of hanks but no reefing option.

I think he only has a single pole unlike Peche?

35 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

From one of the most famous books in the English language, James Joyce’s “Ulysses” (thank you Google).  Are you calling Joyce on his language?! :-) 

- I know where he's gone, says Leneban, cracking his fingers.
- Who? says I.
- Bloom, says he. The courthouse is a blind. He had a few bob on Throwaway and he's gone to gather in the shekels.
- Is it that whiteeyed kaffir? says the citizen, that never backed a horse in anger in his life?

Rather tempted to call out Joyce on "whiteeyed kaffir" as a bit of old school racism, but as long as we have the Andalusian girls, I've give the old pedant a break.

“I was a Flower of the mountain yes when I put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian girls used or shall I wear a red yes and how he kissed me under the Moorish wall and I thought well as well him as another and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes.”

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I think he only has a single pole unlike Peche?

Yes I think so, quite traditional. I would prefer two poles on a voyage of this sort even if just to have a spare ;)

I think that in general a double headed, twin poled, rig is better with two different sized sails, a bit less rolly as one tends to dominate. One pole to windward as Slats has would be less rolly but not as deep so no DDW for that rig. 

3 minutes ago, littlechay said:

One pole to windward as Slats has would be less rolly but not as deep so no DDW for that rig

I assumed with his sailed miles efficiency and different TWA he was the one DDW. But maybe not and it is Peche and Heede who are combining the deep VMG stuff with a few other variants.

That would explain Slatts course after the mark rounding which actually brings him periously close to the wind shadow of the Big Canary.

10 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I assumed with his sailed miles efficiency and different TWA he was the one DDW. But maybe not and it is Peche and Heede who are combining the deep VMG stuff with a few other variants.

That would explain Slatts course after the mark rounding which actually brings him periously close to the wind shadow of the Big Canary.

Yes the next couple of tracker updates will confirm his handling of that and perhaps give some clues regarding knowledge of wind around islands :) He might also be thinking about taking his departure (from a land fix) from a bit further down the track. 

I'm actually finding this quite interesting thanks to the tracker and Windy etc.. Before the start I didn't think it would be worth following :) 

36 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Rather tempted to call out Joyce on "whiteeyed kaffir" as a bit of old school racism, but as long as we have the Andalusian girls, I've give the old pedant a break.

“I was a Flower of the mountain yes when I put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian girls used or shall I wear a red yes and how he kissed me under the Moorish wall and I thought well as well him as another and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes.”

Joyce a pedant, you say.  But how else to write something so dastardly and utterly brilliant and crazy as Finnegan’s Wake.  (Now there would be a book to try to finally dive into on a solo RTW over the course of 6-7 months :-) )

http://www.finwake.com/ch01/ch01.htm

50 minutes ago, littlechay said:

I'm actually finding this quite interesting thanks to the tracker and Windy etc.. Before the start I didn't think it would be worth following :) 

Brace yourself ...we have a split!!!!!

Wiig is going the eastern route.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, littlechay said:

I plan on doing something similar with the poles on my own boat for DW work.

Smart design. Attached down low puts more compression and less bending moment into the whisker pole and in the event of a wipeout the pole sits behind the caps so less chance of taking the rig out if the foreguy was to say goodbye. Very Peche thinking. 

40 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Brace yourself ...we have a split!!!!!

Wiig is going the eastern route.

This is getting as exciting as the Volvo!

8 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

This is getting as exciting as the Volvo!

Steady! 

Yes the next couple of tracker updates will confirm his handling of that and perhaps give some clues regarding knowledge of wind around islands :) 

My experience there is in a northerly wind volocity increases substantially between the high islands and on their flanks. However the shadow on the lee for miles is a dead zone. Verdes also similiar. Where Slats is atm he probably enjoys a bit more pressure coming  down the edge of the Big Canary compared to the eastern line of the other two. However the price might be a pile up in front if he is not careful and he won't see it coming being night.

Facebook now live with Suzi Goodall

WTF.. she passed over a SD card with apologies that it only had 2 minutes on it as she had accidentally wiped it yesterday.... so much for the 1960s media !!!

17 minutes ago, littlechay said:

WTF.. she passed over a SD card with apologies that it only had 2 minutes on it as she had accidentally wiped it yesterday.... so much for the 1960s media !!!

Their YB3's transceivers incorporate SD storage. That aside why they hand that over no idea. Maybe to fill in data gaps for race stats/mapping on account the they have such a long upload interval of only spot data??