QBF

The 2018 Golden Globe Race

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I think the Jury is in.

Slatts got the extra breeze staying close to the Big Canary where Peche could not get away as he should. The tracker positions showing Heede ahead of Slatts are artificial as the next Tracker waypoint favours the eastern side. Slatts is clearly #2. Only issue uphead is those to left or East have more leverage in the northerly airstream to get to the Verdes quicker. That is obviously Peche and Wiig's thinking. Slatts and Heede don't think so.

Yea Slats might catch a little of the wind shadow but looks like he got a nice run down the coast. Nice work. 

6 minutes ago, Moonduster said:

Rolling in my grave? Not likely.

Well you rolled out enough to post. 

6 minutes ago, Moonduster said:

Wishing you were rolling in yours? Definitely

Nah it's gimbelled. Take a grumpy pill.

15 hours ago, spyderpig said:

There are several things to consider even without access to weather forecasts. Firstly the dreaded doldrums which move about. Secondly the Saint Helena high which sits right in the middle of the South Atlantic giving you headwinds if you try to go down the east. Thirdly the Benguela current which flows up the eastern side of the South Atlantic and south down the coast of Brazil although by this time it is not called the Benguela current. And finally , especially at this time of the year , tropical rotating storms are forming. So best plan for me would be go south from the Canaries until, as the proverb says, the butter melts, then go to the west of the Cape Verdes, and head SSW into the doldrums. Once through, I agree with Jack not too close to Brazil but beware going East too soon and wait until about level with Namibia then gently start your turn such that you will be going East and pass 100 miles south of Cape of Good Hope. 

Thank you for that explanation.  I don't think they have the option of going west past the Verdes

" An Inshore Cape Verde Island mark (TBA) to starboard- another film drop.

24 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

" An Inshore Cape Verde Island mark (TBA) to starboard- another film drop.

That did not make it to the NOR, has any mention of it been made during the Canaries way point? The only thing I heard was , see you in 2 months. which I took as being an optimistic ETA for Storm Bay.

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Don't understand your point.

Not sure I do now, something to do with leaving the thing down for the whole passage and it would just turn into a drogue., nah forget it

16 minutes ago, spyderpig said:

An Inshore Cape Verde Island mark (TBA) to starboard- another film drop.

Live just said to Tapio, "See you in Hobart", 

3 hours ago, spyderpig said:

Live just said to Tapio, "See you in Hobart", 

He may have been taking specifically about himself and that others may be meeting the boats in the Verde's.  I pulled the info from the Route Web page and given the somewhat loose rule applications, it would not be a surprise that they removed it.  I guess we'll find out in about a week or so.  Getting the media retrieved from this current drop might take a bit since they have to actually develop the pictures (sigh). 

The show slowly goes on.

Gregor and the first of the ketch's. Sort of expected a bit more of this sail plan, maybe they have had a bit too much DDW to date and maybe shine down the track.

Jeans and crocs, nice.

Best sail plans, Slats and Peche.

12 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Tapio in the wet S&S..she will fly uphill though. Another HF casualty though TX only so maybe operator error.

FB_IMG_1531505734444.jpg

FB_IMG_1531505695826.jpg

FB_IMG_1531505766997.jpg

It’s little scary how low in the water she is .... is it a safety risk factor or just very wet submarine like experience?

24 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Tapio in the wet S&S..she will fly uphill though. Another HF casualty though TX only so maybe operator error.

FB_IMG_1531505734444.jpg

FB_IMG_1531505695826.jpg

FB_IMG_1531505766997.jpg

Not only wet, but a little more cramped.  The others look like sailing palaces compared to this one.

Peche's HF up and working again. Slatts and Heede (his short stick not slowing him down) making Peche earn every mile in this drag race having gained only 4 mile since rounding. However won't take long for that to accumulate.

6 minutes ago, spyderpig said:

Tony now live

So they can use the engine?  I didn't see anything in the rules against.  If so, with two doldrums to cross I wonder if there is strategy in when and how long given they have a finite amount of fuel. 

As a side note, it would be nice if the host of these videos got a parabolic mic to better hear the skippers.  These interviews are almost as painful to listen to/watch as some of the early 2015/16 VOR daily shows.  With that said, it is good to get something and to see each boat with time to review the rig, set up and movement through the water.

20 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

As a side note, it would be nice if the host of these videos got a parabolic mic to better hear the skippers

You forget the wind noise (which they deal with well). Better if they handed them a wireless headset.

Commander Tomy.  For those that don't know not only a replica in wood epoxy of Suhaila but Iike the original also built in India. This vid just the approach. Seems to be a delay with actual rounding and chat/handover.

Abhilash-Tomy-Replica.jpg

1 hour ago, vesa said:

It’s little scary how low in the water she is .... is it a safety risk factor or just very wet submarine like experience?

Why do you think that could be a safety risk factor , please explain ?.

Yes, I can assure you it is a submarine upwind in a chop.

Uku

Saw Uku and  the boat in Falmouth.  That is a stunning looking Rustler 36.

What is his hydro generator? The custom Swedish one ?

FB_IMG_1531505766997.jpg

2 hours ago, littlechay said:

FB_IMG_1531505766997.jpg

Geez, that's a lot of strings.  

I guess line bags hadn't been invented in 1968.

7 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Gregor and the first of the ketch's. Sort of expected a bit more of this sail plan, maybe they have had a bit too much DDW to date and maybe shine down the track.

I suspect the real advantage of the ketches will be in ease of use.  I doubt they will be faster.

According to Windy, they'll be running in 30+ knots (gusting 40+) in the next day or two.

Sacrificial poles bouncing off sacrificial furlers.

We might have to review our choice of which rig looks good.

Watching the videos of the mark-rounding, it's interesting to see who has a preventer rigged, who is nursing their sails from chafe, who seems comfortable turning their back to a flopping boom.  Even when tired, the pros are making good choices.

8 hours ago, littlechay said:

Looks like a Sailnsea Sailngen from Germany. Produce about 200W, small scale production from a talented engineer/sailor.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Laser1 said:

Why do you think that could be a safety risk factor , please explain ?.

Yes, I can assure you it is a submarine upwind in a chop.

It was more a question rather than a statement, however I was thinking about skipper exposure caused by combination of relatively shallow cockpit and very low freeboard. 

5 hours ago, harrygee said:

According to Windy, they'll be running in 30+ knots (gusting 40+) in the next day or two.

We might have to review our choice of which rig looks good....

Might not be quite as tough as that. 

Here is a ECMWF Model snapshot of current (early Saturday morning) weather and positions and then when breeze peaks early Monday morning local time for the second group in relation to to anticipated positions then. There will be more breeze on the left or east side. The leaders by then will have the breeze starting to drop and back to the north  pushing them west as they try to hot up to compensate and pick a route through/past the Verdes. Then their gains might be wound back a bit with compression depending on how gung ho the followers are in the fresher stuff. 

Also shown is a graph showing 4 models for wind speed and direction up to midnight Wednesday when it has fallen away for those coming up behind i.e the Green Dot. 

Will be a bit sporty and as you can see right up the arse. The Rustlers particularly those like Peche and Slatts with their twin headsail DDW set ups and Heede with a more manageable stumpy rig will excel. The ketches won't like it too much having to find that balance between avoiding DDW rolly polly by heading up but staying manageable in a shitty sea state. They will be loving their furling headsails is my guess. 

20180714_0500UTC.jpg

20180716_0500UTC.jpg

20180714_0500UTC - 20180718_0000UTC.jpg

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Here is a ECMWF Model snapshot of current (early Saturday morning)

Great work Jack.

5 minutes ago, Laser1 said:

Anybody on here doing the virtual GGR?

That would be like trying to make an ant crawl over toast with honey. 

Looking at the fleet spread I hope the RO went for a monthly accommodation rental deal for hanging around at the pick-up/turning mark.

Feel sorry for Commander Tomy in his small ketch having to hot up..and go off the DDW Rhumb Line..either that or he has a hot date at Tenerife.

Peche is now starting to pull away in the freshening breeze, albeit only a few mile. Interesting thing is after tracker DTF/WP corrections Heede in the building breeze and with a lesser sailplan area is holding on to Slatts. Maybe a case of old creme rises to the top???  

Keep an eye on those two over the next couple of days when things get a bit more sporty.

20180714_1000 UTC.jpg

9 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Looking at the fleet spread I hope the RO went for a monthly accommodation rental deal for hanging around at the pick-up/turning mark

I hope the locals do not take offence to Don's mangling of the name of the Island, makes me chuckle every time I hear him say Lanzatory.

34 minutes ago, spyderpig said:

I hope the locals do not take offence to Don's mangling of the name of the Island, makes me chuckle every time I hear him say Lanzatory.

My bet is Don's next latin launguage pronunciation torture will shortly be .."Verdaay"

Possibly an explanation behind why the RO waa forced to remind Loic he had to text in once a day...what is wrong with my sextant Anglo?

Nice looking boat.

FB_IMG_1531571726917.jpg

FB_IMG_1531571769053.jpg

FB_IMG_1531572196289.jpg

Thanks jack_sparrow and all for the video and picture updates here :) Much easier to read than with FB!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Here is a ECMWF Model...

20180714_0500UTC.jpg

I see on the chart, it’ll be the last chance before Cape Town for anyone in the fleet who’s ever wanted to visit Nouakchott, “Place of the Winds,” (Arabic/Berber), the capital of Mauritania...probably not passing that way again...where the Sahara meets the sea (and one of the key places in all of Africa to obtain rare Saharan meteorites)  :-)  Dakar, Senegal is a much more interesting and vibrant city, just down the coast.

Carry on.

(Pic: Port de Pêche, Mauritania)

C6E1DCD3-082B-442D-B29F-F3A46BCB0528.jpeg

The top three are not heading out into the mid atlantic so I',m getting the feeling they have a mark in the Verde's.  Susie's got two good boats dogging her heels and Are, well he' seems to keep dialing that boat in for he still is making good pace.  What I don't get is Gregor's course?  Due south on the tracker and he would seem to have a good broad reach angle if he turned left a bit more.  

There is a clear three boat race going on in the front and Phillipe maybe hard to pass, but Heede and Slats are not letting off the pressure.

Nabil is live now

let's assume the the top sailors have the intent of a race, more than "can I survive".  Given the limited data they get on weather, what is their day like?  Do they get a wx post, make a best guess on what it might do in the next 12 or 14 hrs, then based on DR positions, make a best guess on where to put the boat in the next x hours?  The VOR was almost a flood of info compared to this where we get basic sog on the tracker, vmg, distance sailed on the leader board and best guess on macro weather around the boats.

What intrigued me was Nabil's comment that at one point he pushed his boat, but the creaks and groans eventually got to him.  In the VG we see these solo sailors push their boats to the limit of speed.  So, other than relative speed difference, is this much different, in concept, than the VG?  I still feel the top 6/7 boats are in this as a real race which will make watching the equator crossing most interesting.

16 hours ago, harrygee said:

We might have to review our choice of which rig looks good.

Watching the videos of the mark-rounding, it's interesting to see who has a preventer rigged, who is nursing their sails from chafe, who seems comfortable turning their back to a flopping boom.  Even when tired, the pros are making good choices.

30 G 40 DW in these boats should not be any kind of problem nor should it be boat breaking. They'll easily achieve hull speed with working jib and some main to help control the roll. It is the sort of conditions where they will rack up consistent miles, fishing might even be good as they'll get the lure going fast enough to attract something with a bit of life in it. 

Totally agree with your last paragraph; some seemed well set up for sea others well set up for a Saturday afternoon jaunt around the harbour. 

15 hours ago, spyderpig said:

Looks like a Sailnsea Sailngen from Germany. Produce about 200W, small scale production from a talented engineer/sailor.

That's the one. Heard good reports but not seen one. Looking at it I get the feeling for this type of boat and event that it may do a better job than the W&S.. 

4 hours ago, bucc5062 said:

The top three are not heading out into the mid atlantic so I',m getting the feeling they have a mark in the Verde's.

What I don't get is Gregor's course?  Due south on the tracker and he would seem to have a good broad reach angle if he turned left a bit more.  

Circumnavigators racers or cruisers or even if your going to northern Brazil for a haircut and a brazilian, the optimum track goes close to or even through the Verdes.... aka HB in last VG where he had a TWA angle that avoided the windshadow and got a big advantage.

Gregor a ketch (even with symetrical spinaker) so has to hot up the angle a bit unlike the DDW Rustler mob with out getting too far left off the Verdes Rhumb Line and adding miles these boats haven't the speed to get back. When he gybes will have a good line for a 2 master, particularly in the sporty stuff.

LATEST SAT> TEX MESSAGES....

Gregor.. 22CANARIES DONE. SAM AND EMMA,BRACE YOURSELVES,TAZMANIA IS NEXT
Are… ASYM SPI BAD RIFTED,BUT THINK I CAN FIX.DRYINGNOW AFTR DESALT
IGOR.. ESMERALDA OK
Are.. NE FORCE 6,7KN SPEED,ALL WELL
Coconut.. HAPPY 25TH BIRTHDAY BRIDIE SINCLAIR - LOYE & BEST WISHES
Susie.. AWAYFROMLANDAGAIN.ALLOKHERE
Antoine.. S ALERTE CDD CANARIES DROIT DEVANT!!
Mark Slats.. ALL GOOD HERE SOME GOOD SAILING CONDITIONS ALL GOOD ONBOARD
Gregor.. 22DISASTER STRUCK OVERNIGHT.MY CASSETTE DRAWER HAS JAMMED SHUT!
Philippe.. ALL GOOD FEEL!NG VERY PATR!OT!C TODAY ALLEZ LES BLEUS
Tapio… 6LANZASTOPDONE!LUUCKILYMIDDAY-EASIENAVIGTIONGLADOFPOSITION
Nabil.. IM HERE
UKU.. LOT OF WORK WITH SAILS.ALL OK.
Abhilash.. FORGOT TO ASK DON. WERE THERE ANY MESSAGES FOR ME?
JL VDH… TOUJOURS CE BON VBNT DU NORD POUR FETER LE 14 JUILLET,TVB! E

• Like 1

11 hours ago, spyderpig said:

Tomy appears to be having a "Left turn Clyde" moment.

Certainly odd but loving the fresh breeze. 7.5k recent BS and for VMG only bettered by the leaders and Gregor in a bigger ketch. That is pretty fine work in a small boat like that.

6 hours ago, bucc5062 said:

There is a clear three boat race going on in the front and Phillipe maybe hard to pass, but Heede and Slats are not letting off the pressure

Up until recently Peche has only been able to slowly add 4nm to the mark rounding delta of 25nm.

However he just doubled that to 8nm ( or to 33nm) late in the day local time. This may indicate he is better set up to handle the increase in wind strength and worsening sea state more so than Heede & Slatts. If so the SO looks interesting for him.

He needs to make hay while the sun shines to make up for the inevitable compression that will occur down the track albeit in these boats you don't need seatbelts when it occurs.

Is there anywhere we can see more of the boats?  Interior layouts, deck layouts, sail choices, modifications, equipment choices,  etc? 

12 minutes ago, jgbrown said:

Is there anywhere we can see more of the boats?  Interior layouts, deck layouts, sail choices, modifications, equipment choices,  etc? 

Simple answer is no, there is no place.

Here is some artwork http://www.voilesetvoiliers.com/course-regate/croquis-de-famille-pour-la-noce-au-long-cours/

Some of the skippers have websites of varying usefulness, some have been posted above in this thread.

Some have facebook pages 

Google with skippers name that you are interested in and GGR or Golden Globe usually produces results. 

If you do find a place please share ;) 

Image result for google coupon

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, littlechay said:

Simple answer is no, there is no place.

Here is some artwork http://www.voilesetvoiliers.com/course-regate/croquis-de-famille-pour-la-noce-au-long-cours/

Some of the skippers have websites of varying usefulness, some have been posted above in this thread.

Some have facebook pages 

Google with skippers name that you are interested in and GGR or Golden Globe usually produces results. 

If you do find a place please share ;) 

The drawing is cute, I've thought it might make a nice poster, but doesn't do much for me past that...  it's too bad, there's some interesting photos but it's so scattered.  I read the skippers sites here and there, but so far have found very little of the in depth info, or specifics on how/why/what.  Would have been a good opportunity to create something else for people to discuss(or argue over), and a good opportunity for gear sponsors too... Guys riding motorbikes around the world on their own dime(and usually less of a budget than one of the sails on these boats...) have more in depth posts with info on gear and modification choices than the boats in this race. :lol: Probably too much to hope for, but an after race breakdown of sail/equipment/gear choices/what worked/what didn't work, what they'd try next time would be great. 

TRACKER CAUTION

As they now approach the next Tracker Waypoint, DTF expressed in miles and therefore positions and VMG in knots will go to shit and substantialy but incorrectly favour boats to the left or east side who are closer to the Tracker Rhumb Line. This will correct further on down the track.

So don't worry if you start seeing crazy numbers as their relative positions as displayed on the Map don't lie.

I hope Kopar knows where he is being only a few miles off the coast with a NE up his arse and is just chasing a gybe layline to slide down the coast with.

Sunrise is still 2 hours off and no lights on that part of a very inhospitable rocky coastline that is largely National Park and not much else. In front of him is the village Tenesar which sits very close to the shoreline but is really only a ghost town giving off no light, though on a Sunday there might be a few weekender types.

IMG_20180715_150607.jpg

IMG_20180715_150630.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I hope Kopar knows where he is being only a few miles off the coast with a NE up his arse and is just chasing a gybe layline to slide down the coast with.

Sunrise is still 2 hours off and no lights on that part of a very inhospitable rocky coastline that is largely National Park and not much else. In front of him is the village Tenesar which sits very close to the shoreline but is really only a ghost town giving off no light, though on a Sunday there might be a few weekender types.

Hmmm He was around a hour from grounding at the last update so unless he has changed course he will be on the bricks now!

Just looked his bio. Think he might know where he is, but if not he was only doing a few k's so if hasn't gybed by now he has not got long left before he will be looking for some wheels.

Istvan Kopar, a Hungarian-born American, is a professional sailor and U.S. Coast Guard-licensed captain who has logged more than 60,000 nautical miles sailing solo. His proudest accomplishment to date was his solo one-stop circumnavigation in 1990-1991 without the aid of GPS. He relied on a sextant, manual chart plotting, and weather forecasts broadcast in Morse code. Sailing a 31-foot boat that he had Vgloss himself, Istvan completed the voyage in record time for the size of his yacht. Istvan also skippered the winning yacht in the 1996/97 Hong Kong Challenge around the world yacht race. He was among the top finishers in the 1992 America 500-Columbus Transatlantic Race, and won the Kapry’s Trophy in the 1995 Atlantic Rally for Cruisers (ARC).

KOPAR 2.jpg

KOPAR 1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

I seem to remember Kopar said he was stopping in the Canaries to fix his self-steering. From recent reports he seems very fatigued from so much hand steering. Everything crossed here that he is not sleeping at this moment.

If he's hoping for a good meal at the Verde Mar restaurant in La Santa, somebody should tell him that they are closed on Sundays.

37 minutes ago, spyderpig said:

And - as if he was listening to us, gybe and sailing down the coast.

That gybe point is his position at 0400 UTC update (see pic upthread) or just over 2 hours ago. I wonder how close he actually got before pulling on the tiller....noise of breakers, seeing a No Parking sign going past the hatchway??

1 hour ago, spyderpig said:

I seem to remember Kopar said he was stopping in the Canaries to fix his self-steering.

Wrong boat, it was Cousot said he would stop to fix his self-steering.

Setting up the race in Expedition. Anybody got polars for any of the boats? The Rustlers in particular.. Appreciate that these are somewhat modified but standard polars will be a start. 

8 minutes ago, littlechay said:

Setting up the race in Expedition. Anybody got polars for any of the boats? The Rustlers in particular.. Appreciate that these are somewhat modified but standard polars will be a start. 

Polars and these boats....very antithetical.

You should find something here to concoct something from.

http://www.blur.se/boats/

7 hours ago, jgbrown said:

IMG_7065.JPG

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jgbrown said:

Falmouth Boat Co. refitted a few GGR boats.  Endurance 35 and 2 Biscay 36's.

A few pics and the blurb here https://www.falmouthboat.co.uk/projects/leisure

• Like 1

Polars and these boats....very antithetical.

You should find something here to concoct something from.

http://www.blur.se/boats/

Yes been there .... Well it was a rainy Sunday afternoon and I was bored ;) 

Actually thought it would be fun to run polars on the fleet in Expedition and see how the modeled world matched the real world who have no idea what the modeled world is saying !!!

Cousot the second last one through and now in Marina getting AP sorted.

Farebrother the only one still left with around 25 mile left so will be in during daylight..

Looked on the website and could not find it, but is there a list of equipment used somewhere?  Especially interested in wind vane steering gear.  Thinking about one for my 5 knt SB.

11 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Just looked his bio. 

Istvan Kopar, a Hungarian-born American, is a professional sailor and U.S. Coast Guard-licensed captain who has logged more than 60,000 nautical miles sailing solo. His proudest accomplishment to date was his solo one-stop circumnavigation in 1990-1991 without the aid of GPS. He relied on a sextant, manual chart plotting, and weather forecasts broadcast in Morse code. 

The clincher is at the end - “relied on [...] weather forecasts broadcast in Morse code”!  That’s impressive, even for the “old days” (1990)

Does anyone here who knows HF freqs know if this sort of thing is still around?  (I mean wx in Morse, not just Morse which I realize has its commonly used freqs.)

This has probably been asked and answered, but...why are single-handers carrying throwable horseshoes and life-slings?  

43 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

This has probably been asked and answered, but...why are single-handers carrying throwable horseshoes and life-slings?  

Just a guess - but it might be a generic so-called “safety equipment”  requirement for all/any boat, without regard to whether they’re crewed or not.

5 hours ago, bridhb said:

Looked on the website and could not find it, but is there a list of equipment used somewhere?  Especially interested in wind vane steering gear.  Thinking about one for my 5 knt SB.

No such list. Good range of wind vane gear represented. Hydrovane, Monitor, Beaufort, Windpilot, and Aries. They all work.

Also look at Flemming and Cape Horn. 

Not sure if they all still available new, but you can pick them up second-hand for a good price. I'm an Aries fan. 

Slats, straight lining and closing down Peche - 10 or so miles in it now. 

“Kevin Farebrother has officially retired from the #GGR2018 and will not continue. He has been frustrated over the past week unable to get into a routine and does not feel comfortable about continuing. He is planning to sell the boat and probably get back up into the mountains. He has no regrets about being involved with the #GGR2018 and loves all the emotion and freindships that came with that, but knows now it is not for him. WE will miss his dry Aussie humor for sure!!...With Antoine now Officially in the the CHICHESTER CLASS..there are just 14 Entrants racing south.”

LATEST SAT TEXTS. 

Weather highlighted indicates quite a range in interpretation.

Short character limited messages typed using a handful of buttons and no screen might make intersting reading towards the end.

ARE WIIG.. THANKS SAILMKR OYVIND,NORTH,ENOUGH AND RGHT REPAIRMATERIAL 
Abhilash… MUCHO GRAZIAS RADIO TENERIFE! FOR BRINGING NEWS FRM HOME
Abhilash…WHAT WOULDNT I GIVE TO HEAR MERE RASHQE QAMAR JUST ONCE
Coconut… AFTER SAILING 1350 NM AT CANARY I JUST MIN FROM LIBERTY II
Philippe Peche.. ALL GOOD TOUT VA BIEN A BORD ALLEZ LES BLEUS
UKU.. WIND IS 25 KNOTS.BOAT SPEED 6-7.
ARE WIIG.. TWO WEEK FROM START.ASYMSPI FIXED.NOW FORC 6-7,GOODSPEED
Nabil… WOW IT REALLY BLWS HARD HERE,LIKE A WIND FUNNEL
Nabil… JUST TOOK MY 12TH PLACE BY FORCE!ROIGH GOIMG,FULL GALE
Mark slats… ALL GOOD HERE NICE WINDS AND SOME FAST SAILING Position:
Gregor.. 22NICE AND BREEZY,GOOD PROGRESS.ALL WELL ONBOARD
Coconut… PULLED OFF TIMBER EDGE OF CHART TABLE IN ROUGH SEAS, ROLLING