Sign in to follow this  
huey 2

Class 40

I love the forward sections of Carac, a Lombard design.  He's figured out how to push the bow volume rule to the max, and is closest to a scow in the fleet.  Would be great to see a 60' from him again.

• Like 2

1- IMERYS - 6j 0h 50mn 49 sec. Vitesse : 6.63 nœuds. Distance parcourue : 1 107.18 milles à 7.64 noeuds 

2-CARAC 2 - 6j 0h 50mn 55sec. Vitesse : 6.63 nœuds.  Distance parcourue 1 134.60 milles à 7.83 noeuds ecart 6 secondes

3-AINA  Enfance et partage : 6j 0h 55mn 19 sec. Vitesse 6.62 nœuds. Distance parcourue 1 109.03 milles à 7.65 nœuds. Ecart 4 minutes 30 sec.

The whole top 3 in 5 minutes after more then 1100 M race...

180526NCR_4JML5103.jpg
At the start, even pops is interested, and the kids.

For 2019, source Tip&Shaft;
CREDIT MUTUEL has committed this Friday on a four-year program in Class40 alongside Ian Lipinski who will have in 2019 a new boat designed by David Raison.

Oh dear, what will Raison come up with...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LeoV said:

CREDIT MUTUEL has committed this Friday on a four-year program in Class40 alongside Ian Lipinski who will have in 2019 a new boat designed by David Raison.

They need to discard that bow volume restriction and let designers explore the full potential of the Classe 40 box rule.

I am just hoping Raison will have something new again.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Be great if they get rid of or amend the bow rule, no idea what he could come up with unrestricted. 

On 10/20/2018 at 5:55 AM, mad said:

Be great if they get rid of or amend the bow rule, no idea what he could come up with unrestricted. 

I love seeing innovation in design, but a big part of the attraction of the 40s is how close the racing is, and even older designs are competitive. That would create a great boat, but possibly kill the class.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

I love seeing innovation in design, but a big part of the attraction of the 40s is how close the racing is, and even older designs are competitive. That would create a great boat, but possibly kill the class.

A very valid point. 

If anyone can get it to work? Ian would be the skipper I'd put money on. 

shaggybaxter.

What could have happened without limits to the bow configuration. Pictures  scowta1 and 2.

282scowta1.jpg

282scowta2.jpg

C40,2013B.jpg

C40,2013C.jpg

C40,2013D.jpg

1 hour ago, Tanton Y_M said:

shaggybaxter.

What could have happened without limits to the bow configuration. Pictures  scowta1 and 2.

282scowta1.jpg

282scowta2.jpg

C40,2013B.jpg

C40,2013C.jpg

C40,2013D.jpg

A difficult and almost definitely a stupid question to ask, but would this be on the design envelope for a 40 foot Cat 0, totally open design where the only restrictions are fixed keel, 2 rudders and 1 mast (section max specified) ? 

Very broad question I know, but I do wonder where yacht design would have gone without rating restrictions and box rules. 

13 minutes ago, mad said:

Very broad question I know, but I do wonder where yacht design would have gone without rating restrictions and box rules. 

You'd be surprised, at lot of innovation in yacht design has come about due to people having to work around a rule set. 

On 10/24/2018 at 5:40 AM, Tanton Y_M said:

shaggybaxter.

282scowta1.jpg

282scowta2.jpg

That's really beautiful Tanton. I wonder what the ride would be like?

I don't understand what people have against scow bows. They look like they belong there for mine.  

Hah! I overlaid the 12.50 hull shape, which is the Pogo 40S2 hull, on your "constrained" example. The 12.50 is pretty dry on deck. I thought that's because I had a fuller bow section than most...wow, not even close.

That's amazing.

Ptantonv1250.thumb.jpg.c3a0c8bbf088aec4ccf962af6a21b139.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PIL66 said:

Is this yours Shaggy

Yep!

Intervieuw Lipinsky with Tip&Shaft

The idea is to try to reproduce the characteristics of a scow Class40 , namely to make a boat that always goes straight, which hardly furrows and suddenly will have a high average and very stable, decelerating very little. A boat easy to live too, because it does not get wet, easier to steer for the pilot or helmsman. The big job will therefore be at the level of the hull.

But the Class40 gauge does not allow a rounded bow like on the Mini ...
At the hull shape, there is a gauge constraint on the bow volume, which says that one centimeter from the bow of the boat, the livet must be only 45 centimeters wide without inflection , frigating is also prohibited. So, it limits, but nowhere is it written that scows are forbidden, just bring the boat in these dimensions. So we can keep the hull of a scow , it's just the aesthetics of the front that will be different.

At what stage of design and construction are you?
We did three digital simulations of the hull, it is almost finished and we are happy with the result. We still have to make the bridge plan, the goal being to finish all this in early November so that we can start the construction of the molds in the wake for a launch scheduled in July.

Where will you build?
We will decide by next week, we hesitate between Multiplast and JPS.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2018 at 10:07 AM, PIL66 said:

Is this yours Shaggy

G’day Pil,

Scanas, LB and Lydia are of the discerning type and insisted they needed to be the closest to the bar...

4 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

G’day Pil,

Scanas, LB and Lydia are of the discerning type and insisted they needed to be the closest to the bar...

are you adopting ?

boat looks so good brother.

Bigr, 

Love to have you anytime mate, you’d fit right in! 

Whether that is complimentary or not is debatable  :)

4 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

G’day Pil,

It is a very handy parking spot! 

On 10/27/2018 at 6:52 PM, shaggybaxter said:

Bigr, 

Love to have you anytime mate, you’d fit right in! 

Whether that is complimentary or not is debatable  :)

i'll be down there at some point , my step-sister works at google australia so i need to go visit , i'm definitely gonna find you when i do !

Is she in Sydney?  I was just there, very helpful security lady.