Sign in to follow this  
dogedog

J70 Trailer retro kit for 'up' trailering?

we have a 1st generation J70 Triad trailer designed to carry the boat 'low' for on-road trailering. lots of trailer rash as a result - seems to be common. Looking to carry the boat in the 'high' position for trailering to regattas. We also have the bunk extensions for the dry sail area 'high' storing but believe these are not adequate for the riggors of onroad trailering. Anyone made a retro kit to carry the boat in the high postion on the road safely?

thx

Sadly your going to find that the axle capacity on the trailer you have may not be capable of taking the load of all the parts required for keel down trailering.

That said, the bunks can be bought from C&C (builder) and I guess if one was good with welding alum you could try to build uprights lighter then the steel that is currently used.

Most people appear to be simply buying a new trailer (crazy)

A bottom cover with strategically placed screening on the trailer may be way easier. Look at what the melges (20/24) fleet does for an example. 

I also reached out to Triad. Thx

I went through it a few months ago.  From what I understand you need the boxed frame trailer from triad rather than the standard.  I bought a new trailer.

On 6/5/2018 at 7:09 PM, Varan said:

A bottom cover with strategically placed screening on the trailer may be way easier. Look at what the melges (20/24) fleet does for an example. 

The problem is not from road debris - it is the fin gets F'd everytime you put the keel up or down and while it is rattling down the highway.

MS