Sign in to follow this  
blurocketsmate

Best paint-safe water-based degreaser?

There's grease on my deck from a crane that was working over my boat.  It does come off with Dawn and a lot of elbow grease.  Too much elbow grease, so I want something stronger.  Also, no water available, only what I can bring in buckets.  Strategy is to scrub before or during a big rainstorm, to wash away whatever's left. 

So, as strong as possible, but still safe for the paint if it doesn't all get washed away.

Deck and topsides are painted with something like Brightsides, a bit dull now but still in good shape.

Stick with Dawn and do a little each week?  Boat soap?  Bilge cleaner?  Best citrus degreaser?  Something else?

LX2000 from Lloyds.  PH Neutral, very strong.  Dilute 1:5 with water. 

I know this stuff looks hokey as hell but it really does work incredibly well. I've used it to remove all sorts of greases and wax, including 70 year old cosmoline from wood. It's enzymatic and very mild, it won't hurt your paint. 

https://quicknbrite.com/

You can get it from your friendly neighborhood online retailer:

https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Brite-00080-Purpose-Cleaning/dp/B00CC726RY/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1528150025&sr=8-1&keywords=quicknbrite&dpID=518wibI8K7L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1

Both good suggestions.  Thanks!

baking soda

Have you tried WD 40?  It usually does a nice job on grease and adhesives.  Then wash the WD-40 residue off with Dawn...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crash said:

Have you tried WD 40?  It usually does a nice job on grease and adhesives.  Then wash the WD-40 residue off with Dawn...

That may be a good idea.  Oils break up grease very well.  Like old-fashioned mechanic's hand cleaner, basically grease itself.  I may give it a try next week.

Even IStream's Quick N Brite has a coconut oil base.

I find WD40 a so-so lubricant but a very effective cleaner/solvent 

On 6/9/2018 at 3:07 AM, CaptainAhab said:

simple green

Great for oil, not so great for grease, IME.  WD40 first then SG might be good.  I may try.

On 6/8/2018 at 8:25 PM, Crash said:

I find WD40 a so-so lubricant but a very effective cleaner/solvent 

That's because WD40 isn't a lubricant, it's a penetrant.

If you could get *hot* water to mix with your Dawn, that might do the trick.  Hot water melts the grease, Dawn does the rest.  Works great on crayons melted on to wallpaper and upholstery. . .

Umm, I don't think it was ever meant as a penetrant...from the company's history page...

"In 1953, a fledgling company called Rocket Chemical Company and its staff of three set out to create a line of rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry.

Working in a small lab in San Diego, California, it took them 40 attempts to get the water displacing formula worked out. But they must have been really good, because the original secret formula for WD-40® -which stands for Water Displacement perfected on the 40th try—is still in use today.

Convair, an aerospace contractor, first used WD-40® to protect the outer skin of the Atlas Missile from rust and corrosion." 

On 6/8/2018 at 5:43 PM, Crash said:

this...

One of wd-40 uses is to clean crap off your car paint..  grease tar etc...

On 6/11/2018 at 2:04 PM, bplipschitz said:

That's because WD40 isn't a lubricant, it's a penetrant.

no it was meant to be a water displacer..   it sucks as a penetrant..

51 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

no it was meant to be a water displacer..   it sucks as a penetrant..

You are correct -- but in either case, it is both a crappy lubricant and penetrant.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bplipschitz said:

You are correct -- but in either case, it is both a crappy lubricant and penetrant.

But a good water displacer. Also a decent degreaser and, according to DDW, a good cutting fluid for aluminum.