Sign in to follow this  
Amphibious Archer

Brand spanking new

Hey ya'll, I'm a long time lurker. We, my wife and I bought a boat last fall. I picked it up from some forlorn spot in Pennsylvania. It's not what I was looking for. It's a hunter 20. 

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_ID=55

It's not the boat I was wanting, but I'm liking the sail camp blogs I come across. I haven't sailed in 20 years. My experience is a sunfish as a youth, a hunter 41 in San Francisco in my early 20s. I'm approaching 50. I've restored the trailer. Ive got lots of questions about restoring the top sides. The wife hates the white chalk on her ass. I'm shorty of words currently, but many of you keep a flame lit. 

Matthew 

Get a sander polisher and a sheepskin pad to buff off that chalky gelcoat.

I had the same thing on my last boat - a Hunter 31. The first time we took it out we came in with white asses and shins.

She cleaned up good.

It wasn't the boat I wanted either - which is why it is gone but I made a little money on it.

Thanks for the words and advice Sloop. She's probably a mess to most people's standards but the fact that the outboard is running like a champ, the sails look seldom used, Johnson? Once the tires and rims get in, she's going in. I had to make a gin pole to deal with the mast. Solo. I think it's 32 ft. I'm not buying a loos gauge, but I got the forstay tightly. Only the back stay.  The only blemishes I'm worried about is some hairline cracks in the cockpit, and I have no idea what a trailer could do.  But.. Let's go sailing. 

Island girl? 

That's a great write up on the subject. Thank you. I've been working on on a small test area. I am a painter by trade so no stranger to this, but I'm not happy with the results so far. From my research this seems to be hotly debated and I am too much a newb to know how far gone the gel coat actually is. I remember coming across a post somewhere that emphatically said "you have to cut that sh!t". But again my ignorance is not knowing how far is too gone. It's drinking the wax, and with much effort it's still looks like crap. 

Thanks a bunch for the replies. 

1 hour ago, Amphibious Archer said:

That's a great write up on the subject. Thank you. I've been working on on a small test area. I am a painter by trade so no stranger to this, but I'm not happy with the results so far. From my research this seems to be hotly debated and I am too much a newb to know how far gone the gel coat actually is. I remember coming across a post somewhere that emphatically said "you have to cut that sh!t". But again my ignorance is not knowing how far is too gone. It's drinking the wax, and with much effort it's still looks like crap. 

You may be jumping ahead if you're pouring on the wax and it still looks like crap.

I don't like to use #600 wet sanding on gelcoat that I want to put a shine on. It cuts a lot away. I'd start with 1000 grit, wet sand with running water and dish soap, that should leave you with a polishable surface. There are also several grits of rubbing compound. The heavy cuts will leave a wax surface but not much shine. When you've got a relatively smooth clear surface, go to machine glaze or fine polish, and that should bring up some reflective shine as well as a more durable surface.

Non-skid is the tough part. Pressure washing will take a lot of crud/chalk off it...... come to think of it, you may have to pressure wash all of it. Some gelcoat has micro pores (bad catalyst mix) that hold dirt, you gotta blast that stuff out and then get it waxed to seal it off so it won't fill up with dirt again. Then scrub it hard with a medium bristle brush and something like Soft-Scrub detergent with grit.... I use Oxy-Clean powder too.

Is there much rust stain? Don't try to polish/scrub that off. There are iron-out products that get rid of it, none (that I know of) perfectly. But you'll just cut down to raw fiberglass trying to polish it away.

When you see a dark lacy pattern, or actual cloth, emerging from the gelcoat, STOP. Or take it down all the way and paint it.

Next, updating your rigging and sails! The real fun part!

And pics, don't forget to post some pics

FB- Doug

AA, congrats on the new boat and welcome to the forums. Where will you be sailing? Lakes or coastal? Should be a fun boat. If the cushions are old with beat down foam, try a self-inflating camp pad, like a thermarest, over them.

RUBBING compound

POLISHING compound

CARNUBA wax

TERRY CLOTH towles

Considering all the different products out there, it's old school but it works!

10 hours ago, Amphibious Archer said:

Quick and dirty for I don't really like the boat but it does the job version of the above: First off: no Terry cloth  towels.  Microfiber only.  Removes wax twice as fast with half the effort and leaves a better shine. 

If you're planning to buy another boat, do yourself a favor and buy a good buffer.  It's a lifetime tool for an owner and will save you hours of aggravation.  Plus then other things start looking fun to polish like your car/truck, stainless things.  I've even polished the scratches from my rear wiper out of a few vehicle back windows with the right polish.

When it's 10$ for a fifty pack at wal mart it isn't worth saving money on towels.  Buy 2 quarts of Presta Super Cut Compound.  On a dark hull this would not be good enough but for the first year on a boat you just want to improve in the way you described it is sufficient, next year if you want to make it better, super cut again then go over it once more with ultra cutting creme from presta(you'll need a different pad for this).  Use Supercut on a white wool double sided pad from 3M, buy this and the adaptor to attach it to a buffer at the same time.  Skip buying a spur or any of the other stuff, use one side until it's plugged, switch sides.  When that side is plugged, go wash it.  Sure it's not as fast as using a spur but the results are better and the pad lasts longer.  Saves you buying two pads.  Keep a damp microfiber and a spray bottle full of water hooked on your pocket.   Polish an area, wipe with damp microfiber to remove residue move on to the next area along.  The how to apply polish to pad, how to work an area from Maine Sail's write up is fantastic, by and large it's fairly close to how we would polish a customer's boat but it sounds like you are looking for not leaving stains on your butt and good enough shine, not perfection.  So the above is a cheap and cheerful way to do it. When you're done, follow up with 3m liquid Marine wax(saves a ton of time vs paste) and wash it with a wax and wash soap only moving forward.  That's good enough for a first year, at about 1/5th the time of doing it perfectly.  Don't get suckered by poli-glo or similar wipe on products, they're all crap.  Wax is protection only, won't give a shine, all you're doing right now is making the boat a well sealed chalky filth magnet. 

this stuff is fantastic, completely cured the chalk on my hunter.  https://www.amazon.com/Star-Brite-Non-Skid-Deck-Cleaner/dp/B000N9Q0PC/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1528236378&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=non+skid+cleaner+boat&psc=1

and it lasts for a month or so, and easy to apply. 

Rip you motherfucker Bourdain. 

What a kick to the gut. 

Thank you guys. Earlier in the week I picked up a proper orbital. I'm going to take your advice and try again I picked up some courser compound. My next worry is that I'm so anal about it I'll be removing everything in the buffers way. Look out. 

I'll do a test tomorrow. This is really no big deal to me. I like that it's chalky. My feet don't slip even in the soap. So my sailing vocabulary is probably still in preschool... I'll make sure to take some pics..... what do you guys recommend for hosting pics? 

3 minutes ago, Amphibious Archer said:

Rip you motherfucker Bourdain. 

What a kick to the gut. 

Thank you guys. Earlier in the week I picked up a proper orbital. I'm going to take your advice and try again I picked up some courser compound. My next worry is that I'm so anal about it I'll be removing everything in the buffers way. Look out. 

I'll do a test tomorrow. This is really no big deal to me. I like that it's chalky. My feet don't slip even in the soap. So my sailing vocabulary is probably still in preschool... I'll make sure to take some pics..... what do you guys recommend for hosting pics? 

Imgur.

9 minutes ago, Amphibious Archer said:

I'm happy with this process. It won't show up in the pics and they're all in progress.

Hunter 20. Getting her ready. https://imgur.com/gallery/uBmKBSC

Here's a hint for Imgur. Sign in and look at all your images. Pick one, click on it, and now you have a batch of links off to the side. Copy the "Direct Link" and paste it into your post. Et viola!

psWOmak.jpg

1 hour ago, Amphibious Archer said:

I'm happy with this process. It won't show up in the pics and they're all in progress.

Hunter 20. Getting her ready. https://imgur.com/gallery/uBmKBSC 

Looks like you've got a bit of water stain above the waterline. Difficult to get this off with compound & wax, first thing to try is some oxalic acid (a cleaner called "Barkeep's Friend" is one such product).

Other than that, nice!

FB- Doug

5 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Here's a hint for Imgur. Sign in and look at all your images. Pick one, click on it, and now you have a batch of links off to the side. Copy the "Direct Link" and paste it into your post. Et viola!

psWOmak.jpg

Amsterdam?

11 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

Amsterdam?

Yup.

On 6/10/2018 at 1:36 PM, Ishmael said:

Yup.

That photo is magnificent....the word limitless comes to mind. 

I really appreciate the input. Im still plugging along. It's getting better with each rub. 

I need to replace the bow rail fittings, it's standing, but I hate the illusion of safety, any recommendations on who to order them from? Pfds? 

The boat was infested with wasps, many varieties. They seemed to enjoy the ride home from PA to NC. I cleaned them all out this winter.... new ones have moved into my mast. I'm trying to stay ahead of our numerous songbirds bombing the boat with berry infused splatter on my not finished top. Only bleach works on those. I still can't comprehend what you guys deal with in the water 24/7. Especially on a shoestring. 

Pick up a copy of This Old Boat by Don Casey. It’s a really good resource for restoring an old boat, and cover topics on all aspects of sailboats. You’ll likely find other stuff you want to fix as you get to know the boat. 

18 minutes ago, valcour said:

Pick up a copy of This Old Boat by Don Casey. It’s a really good resource for restoring an old boat, and cover topics on all aspects of sailboats. You’ll likely find other stuff you want to fix as you get to know the boat. 

It's an excellent book - just don't follow his instructions for the "gasket" method of sealing deck hardware.

46 minutes ago, Amphibious Archer said:

I'm planning a disapearance. On the boat. I've been reading Webb Chile's 

Send us a postcard from Vanuatu, OK?

Hahaha. Not yet. Right now I want to quit smoking. Im planning a narcissistic trip away from my family, to seclude, write, adventure, with zero intoxicants. I've been scowering the map, and I have many options. 

On 6/11/2018 at 10:25 PM, Ishmael said:

Send us a postcard from Vanuatu, OK?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amphibious Archer said:

Hahaha. Not yet. Right now I want to quit smoking. Im planning a narcissistic trip away from my family, to seclude, write, adventure, with zero intoxicants. I've been scowering the map, and I have many options. 

Good luck with that...seriously, it's the best thing you'll ever do for you. I'm 2 years without after going cold turkey, and it's the best thing I ever did for me.

Sailing and friends involved helped.

And add up all the $$$$$$ you'll save.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, madohe said:

Good luck with that...seriously, it's the best thing you'll ever do for you. I'm 2 years without after going cold turkey, and it's the best thing I ever did for me.

Sailing and friends involved helped.

And add up all the $$$$$$ you'll save.

the only time a boat  could be an investment

D