K9u20

Open 5.00 for Racing

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the Open 5.00.  I'm looking for a boat I can single or double hand, race in some assigned rating classes, and trailer it to areas to do a daysail.  I really like  the idea of the pivoting keel on the open 5.00  and the fact that it is self righting. Most  of the areas I sail require you to launch in shallow water and then let the keel down as you get out a bit.  It looks like a nice stable boat and reading about it appears to be fairly quick. Anyone have any experience with its speed versus similar type boatsand reading about it appears to be fairly quick. Anyone have any experience with its speed versus similar type boats

IMG_3592.JPG

We had one at our club for a couple of years. It rated 165, but there wasn't much to go on. It looks faster than it is.The local owner sold to someone from Aspen, I believe.

Raced one in San Diego years ago. Very stable and forgiving but not very good in light to medium air. Needs a breeze to really go. Did not sail well to her rating here on Lake Lanier ( Atlanta ) as our breeze is usually on the light side. If you can count on good breeze, it is a very good boat