Yep. It's just you.  And it doesn't start this Wednesday. Some of these guys are serious hard nuts that would put alot of over-hyped Snowflake gen sailors to shame when shit hits the fan miles away from mummy.

• Like 3

It’s horseshit.

a bunch of sailors who are taking boats that apparently don’t fit some mold of what SA thinks race boats should be, facing all sorts of problems and against the grain saying “Fuck you, we’re gonna race anyways”. That sounds like Anarchy to me. What’s it gonna be SA?

Wait. Here I’ll spell it out.

What’s it gonna be “Sailing ANARCHY”?

• Like 6

I emailed the Editor about that post. Beyond their "I don't approve" attitude, they also linked to a "Fan Boy" Facebook page, not to the official site.

There is a thread on this race in Ocean Racing Anarchy where several people seem to share the same attitude as the OP on the Front Page.

• Like 1

http://goldengloberace.com/ggr/

“Entrants are limited to sailing similar yachts and equipment to what was available to Sir Robin in that first race. That means sailing without modern technology or benefit of satellite based navigation aids. Competitors must sail in production boats between 32ft and 36ft overall (9.75 – 10.97m) designed prior to 1988 that have a full-length keel with rudder attached to their trailing edge. These yachts are heavily built, strong and sturdy, similar in concept to Sir Robin’s 32ft vessel Suhaili.

In contrast to the current professional world of elite ocean racing, this edition travels back to a time known as the ‘Golden Age’ of solo sailing. Suhaili was a slow, sturdy 32ft double-ended ketch based on a William Atkins ERIC design. She was heavily built of teak and carried no computers, GPS, satellite phone nor water-maker, and Robin completed the challenge with no outside assistance or aid of modern day shore-based weather routing advice. He had only a wind-up chronometer and a barograph to face the world alone, and caught rainwater to survive. But he was at one with the ocean, able to contemplate and absorb all that this epic voyage had to offer.”

Sounds cool to me.  A test of sailor with sponsorship being less important.    Sailboats that don’t require internal combustion motors to pivot the keel and operate the systems.

• Like 2

It’s difficult to believe the editor could exceed his usual ignorance, but he’s really outdone himself with the lame attack on the Golden Globe retro race. The latter is the coolest thing that’s happened in long-distance racing in decades.

I almost never read the FP. It’s just a platform for naked stupidity and prejudice.

• Like 6

So scuttlebutt is disconnected by referencing racing 12 meters, the most iconic of race boats. On the other hand, GGR is disconnected by racing on 4ksb that people actually stand a chance of owning.

What the hell is the middle ground? I suppose they’d just have us all race Melges 24s?

15 minutes ago, OutofOffice said:

I suppose they’d just have us all race Melges 24s?

Scot likely has some snide comments about those too. He’s an equal opportunity critic: he hates everything.

bruce-eric-kaplan-you-tested-positive-fo

I'll follow this race. I follow lots of different races. It's all fun.  I might even learn something. You never know.

• Like 5

do you have to take a SAS course? ;-)

2 hours ago, Svanen said:

It’s difficult to believe the editor could exceed his usual ignorance, but he’s really outdone himself with the lame attack on the Golden Globe retro race. The latter is the coolest thing that’s happened in long-distance racing in decades.

I almost never read the FP. It’s just a platform for naked stupidity and prejudice.

what attack? it's called commentary. thank you now go fuck yourself.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Editor said:

Why so defensive? He’s just making commentary...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Editor said:

what attack? it's called commentary.

"A fleet of jalopies ... snailfest ... 4ksbs getting widely separated, tons of mishaps, etc.... let's just hope nobody dies".

Yep, just commentary. No attack at all. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Editor said:

As always an appropriate and well reasoned response to criticism.

I want a race that follows the John Gabriel Chelela footprint mixed with the Golden Globe.   Race solo, therefore race without a ground support team .  If you need a motor you are in the wrong sport.   Sextant or satellite?   If you want it to be about man, not machine, go simple.    No fossil fuels, just solar etc.   Allow current energy technologies though, since they are up-gradable and apply to small boat sailing in general.  Hemp lines and polyester clothing is no longer required either.   A production boat rule is essential for the spirit of the race, as it cuts the cost to compete considerably and evens the field for those that cannot afford Perry Carbon Cutters.   I'm even cool with fixed full keels that hardly ever fall off, as a safety rule.   Commercial weather forcasts are of course important for safety and to minimize rescue resources being dispatched for a race.   They should be available in 2018 detail.   Editor worries about the fans in the bleachers feeling like they are watching golf.    This isn't America's Cup.   There are no eyeballs once they leave sight of land.   Even Armel Le Cleac'h was dead slow compared to the helicopter camera.   GoPro doesn't show SOG, just wind and wave.   I follow Vendee a bit and admire the sailors (consume advertising), but half the tension is wondering who's foil will break next.   

32 minutes ago, Svanen said:

"A fleet of jalopies ... snailfest ... 4ksbs getting widely separated, tons of mishaps, etc.... let's just hope nobody dies".

Come on now, Ed.  Us po' folks want some racing that we can relate to.  The carbon sleds and canting keels are cool, but many of us still like to watch the Catalina 27 fleet duke it out, too.

• Like 2

Ed - it IS just you. This is one of the coolest races I can think of.

Your snide "heh heh look at the dorks in the old boats" attitude is one reason racing is dying all over the USA. This is something *I could actually do*. I'll never get millions of dollars to get a high tech fragile boat, run around real fast, forget how to work the plotter, and hit a reef, but I might one day do this.

This race is sailing ANARCHY 10,000 times more than VOR employees getting a paycheck to stand a watch and getting in trouble because their comments offend their corporate bosses :rolleyes:

latest?cb=20110707025843

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Lark said:

http://goldengloberace.com/ggr/

Entrants are limited to sailing similar yachts and equipment to what was available to Sir Robin in that first race. That means sailing without modern technology or benefit of satellite based navigation aids. Competitors must sail in production boats between 32ft and 36ft overall (9.75 – 10.97m) designed prior to 1988 that have a full-length keel with rudder attached to their trailing edge. These yachts are heavily built, strong and sturdy, similar in concept to Sir Robin’s 32ft vessel Suhaili.

OK, I think I would fall into the old fogy category but I have some problems with the race conditions. No problem with the stuff in green above but once we get to the red phrase I have a problem. If the organizers wanted to have a race of Suhailis that is fine but set the design date as 1960 or 1888 for that matter. Each of the competitors in that first race chose the boat that they thought best for the purpose - saying that Suhaili made the most sense just does not add up when you consider the progress of Moitessier and his boat.

Here are the designs approved for the race.

2018 Golden Globe Race approved designs: Westsail 32 • Tradewind 35 • Saga 34 • Saltram 36 • Vancouver 32 & 34 • OE 32 • Eric (sister ship to Suhaili) • Aries 32 • Baba 35 • Biscay 36 • Bowman 36 • Cape Dory 36 • Nicholson 32 MKX-XI • Rustler 36, Endurance 35, Gaia 36, Hans Christian 33T, Tashiba 36, Cabo Rico 34, Hinckley Pilot 35, Lello 34, Gale Force 34.

No Joshua steel ketches, as you say. For that matter, no bilge keelers or trimarans either. And where are the junk-rigged schooners (Galway Blazer II)?

So no, it doesn't duplicate the original 1968 boats.

13 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

saying that Suhaili made the most sense just does not add up when you consider the progress of Moitessier and his boat.

I remember hearing a rumor that the next run of this (if that even happens) was supposed to be one design “Joshua” recreations. Now who was it again that despised the commercialization of long distance sailing and ultimately retired mid race?

seems a bit like a spit on the grave.

5 minutes ago, OutofOffice said:

I remember hearing a rumor that the next run of this (if that even happens) was supposed to be one design “Joshua” recreations.

Your memory is correct!

@Bristol-Cruiser

No argument.   You are worried about the race committee's arbitrary rules.   Do they also require 1970's sail, cordage and leisure suits?    Sure, if that's what they think will make a fun race.   Personally I want a 'relevant' race with things I can relate to even though I would never attempt it myself.   I'm actually open minded on underwater shape as long as multiple production boat designs of various costs can be competitive.    I'm also open minded on whether spars remain OEM or not.    Modest total boat size is essential to stay in the spirit of a competition not dominated by LWL.   Ability of various production boats of various vintages and price points to competitively race should determine the rest of the rules IMO.     My goal is a carbon friendly old school race highlighting the incredible endurance and ability of the sailor, not the technology of the sponsors.    I'm not against limited advances within the spirit of such a race.   The Indy 500 was originally an endurance race designed to push the ability of a car to actually travel 500 miles in a single day.   As the family sedan reached the point it could do so easily the race evolved to reach other markets.    Car racing has also developed multiple varieties, from classic Jaguars, Carerra Panamerica, or home built budget racing.   Likewise sailboat racing has evolved away from its origins.  Why not experiment with anything that can gather a crowd or a fleet?   

6 hours ago, Svanen said:

Exactly! 

Lets see in the last VOR, we've had a collision that killed someone, and a MOB fatality.  Last VOR, we ran aground on a accurately plotted shoal/Island...And last I recall, the Vendee Globe boats all got around the world with absolutely no mishaps or issues right?

Ed did struggle some making his 4ksbs go, maybe he harbors some resentment as a result of that traumatic time? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

hmmm....it seems "revenge is best served in the protest room"...as it has always been

We race scrapyard-sourced-supercharger equipped e30 BMW in Lemons. Races are routinely sold out. Wicked fun.

• Like 1

Not that my opinion matters much (nor does that of most here), as the entries are at about the maximum, and this seems to be a sailors race as opposed to a sponsors race. There are some exceptional sailors entered, and I think that they're drawn to the raw aspect of the race. I realise that there were higher performance designs available in the original GG, but I think that the parameters that have been set make sense in the interest of "reasonably" close, affordable, and reliable racing (although I don't get the GRP only stipulation). I don't see modern wet weather garb or synthetic sheets as being contrary to the spirit of the race.

I'll be following it.

Cheers.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Editor said:

my two cents;

please keep the occasional bits about 'environmental' issues, for example, coming on the FP, it's the absolute least any media outlet can do (unless it's a 'reich-wing' circle jerk). and fuck some of the whiny fart bags here who, oddly enough, may potentially get their panties in a bunch about someone merely highlighting critical issues that may not flatter their personal philosophies. 

I tore out all my electronics and was in the process of filling my Contessa 32 with baked beans and rum but then I reread the rules and found that it's long keels only.   WTF?  There were catamarans in the first race ffs. 

*punches bulkhead*

5 hours ago, Nautiloid said:

I tore out all my electronics and was in the process of filling my Contessa 32 with baked beans and rum but then I reread the rules and found that it's long keels only.   WTF?  There were catamarans in the first race ffs. 

*punches bulkhead*

There is this:

http://www.yachtingworld.com/blogs/elaine-bunting/jester-challenges-sailing-purists-3167

I contacted them and while my boat does not qualify -too long - they have no issue with a fin keel C&C 30 in the race.

• Like 2