jarcher

Looking for Sail Magazine articles from 1973

I'm looking for articles from Sail Magazine published in 1973, a series written by Arvel Gentry concerning the aerodynamics of sailing. Sail Magazine told me that their archives don't go back that far and the local libraries don't have it. Any ideas?

That's just past my event horizon. But fun if you can find it!

Did you try google books? Sometimes the weirdest stuff ends up there.

I've still got my Sail mags from back then.

I don't have time to look through them but when I get a couple of hours I'll take a look.

Just 1973? Do you want the entire articles or just some info I could relate here?

14 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I've still got my Sail mags from back then.

I don't have time to look through them but when I get a couple of hours I'll take a look.

Just 1973? Do you want the entire articles or just some info I could relate here?

Very generous of you, but you may be offering more than you realize. There was a series or articles written that debunked the then popular theories about how sailing works. I don't know how many were in the series. If you could scan them I'll gladly pay in beer but if its a task too large I understand. Thank you!

Wow, yes, thats one of them! I see he has his own site, I'll poke around. I guess I have to improve my googling skills. Thanks!

Have you read this?

image.thumb.png.2fd3bc80266d75a851d1fe41f57216dc.png

• Like 1

On 6/6/2018 at 1:22 PM, NYBOZO1 said:

Wow.

I look forward to studying these.

Nice to find something interesting at this site ....for a change.

Check out National Cleavage Day over in General Anarchy... for a change

Those are great articles, they didnt fundamentally change the way I trim sails, but really improved my understanding about why I should make certain changes, thus leading me to trim much better.

On 6/6/2018 at 1:32 PM, SloopJonB said:

Have you read this?

image.thumb.png.2fd3bc80266d75a851d1fe41f57216dc.png

If you like graphs, this is THE book for you

Lots of very good stuff in there, but it's not an edge-of-the-seat thriller. Not recommended for summer vacation.

Also, while I have (and occasionally fondle) the first edition, I think the 2nd edition had some important updates, so get that if you have a choice.

FB- Doug

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:36 AM, jarcher said:

I'm looking for articles from Sail Magazine published in 1973, a series written by Arvel Gentry concerning the aerodynamics of sailing. Sail Magazine told me that their archives don't go back that far and the local libraries don't have it. Any ideas?

Those articles were collected & published as part of the book The Best Of Sail Trim, which can be ordered online at several places  You can Google it, but here's one: https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-best-of-sail-trim/542886/?mkwid=spaVl2t9h|dc&pcrid=70112909712&pkw=&pmt=&plc=&gclid=CjwKCAjw0ujYBRBDEiwAn7BKtyV_Jq90XaxJpLTnLyaaYCoHkLdEawWGx7nQzWmhyo9790NIajhsJxoCZeQQAvD_BwE#isbn=1574091190&idiq=7510614

My copy of it has a different cover, but the number of pages is about right so maybe it's the same. It has 7 articles by Arvel (out of about 50 total). There may be more in another collection. I'll keep looking.

27 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Lots of very good stuff in there, but it's not an edge-of-the-seat thriller. Not recommended for summer vacation.

Also, while I have (and occasionally fondle) the first edition, I think the 2nd edition had some important updates, so get that if you have a choice.

FB- Doug

You mean, as opposed to the third edition in the picture of the cover you posted?

36 minutes ago, jarcher said:
1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

You mean, as opposed to the third edition in the picture of the cover you posted?

That was SJB, I just quoted him. The third edition almost certainly includes the 2nd editions updated material, so get that one if you prefer (or it's a better deal).

FB- Doug

I am in possession of a front cover with Phil Holland driving new world 

got a link to a PDF called:

The Aerodynamics of Sail Interaction By Arvel Gentry Proceedings of the Third AIAA Symposium on the Aero/Hydronautics of Sailing November 20, 1971 Redondo Beach, California

I used the google search sentence:  "Arvel Gentry" aerodynamics of sailing

quite a few interesting reads there.

ML

2 hours ago, jarcher said:

That's one expensive book...

I've seen it in used book stores for a few bucks.

Those prices are absurd - somebody just trying it on.

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I've seen it in used book stores for a few bucks.

Those prices are absurd - somebody just trying it on.

I'll keep  lookout for it.

7 hours ago, poncho said:

I am in possession of a front cover with Phil Holland driving new world 

I don't have the cover but I remember it.  If I'm right it was the one where he's only got one strap fastened on his foulie pants?  I was on that boat when that picture was taken.  Good ride.

Wasn't there a subsequent series of articles by Tom Whidden that updated all of the Gentry work published in the '80s?  I remember his use of foil shapes and talcum powder in a bathtub to demonstrate the starting vortex after flow was disturbed before the Kutta condition was re-established. 

Sailing World?  

On 6/9/2018 at 12:59 AM, Left Shift said:

I don't have the cover but I remember it.  If I'm right it was the one where he's only got one strap fastened on his foulie pants?  I was on that boat when that picture was taken.  Good ride.

Wasn't there a subsequent series of articles by Tom Whidden that updated all of the Gentry work published in the '80s?  I remember his use of foil shapes and talcum powder in a bathtub to demonstrate the starting vortex after flow was disturbed before the Kutta condition was re-established. 

Sailing World?  

I don't know, I'll see what I can find.

I find these interesting as much for their historical value as the technical content. When I was a kid I was taught all those debunked theories about how sails work, and as a teenage sailing instructor I taught some of them as well. These articles had come out six years earlier but back then, info didn't get the kind of distribution it does now, so it was several years later before I first leaned of circulation theory. I found it interesting when I learned that one guy changed the conventional wisdom, doing his own research and publishing in what was at the time a brand new magazine. All this by himself.

The only Mag I have from 1972 is this. It was BBS. Before Bever shots.

image.jpg

5 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

The only Mag I have from 1972 is this. It was BBS. Before Bever shots.

image.jpg

Too bad you can no longer open it up. 

On 6/8/2018 at 9:59 PM, Left Shift said:

Sailing World?  

Yep, one strap hanging loose. Was it new world? I just looked at. It. Feb 1974

1 minute ago, poncho said:

Yep, one strap hanging loose. Was it new world? I just looked at. It. Feb 1974

Yep...That was New World.  A unique ride, with George Kiskaddon reading Walt Whitman to the crew at Happy Hour and doing a little social engineering to keep things interesting.  Putting an African-American guy with a South African on the same watch.  Stirring in three women crew into the mix, adding in Walter Green with Phil Holland and letting a near-newbie like myself come along.  We had a Honolulu radio station cheering us on as the "Frigate Freaks".

George was a completely self-made man, an ex-able-seaman taking huge risks to put his tanker fleet together.  He made a real mark by starting up the Oceanic Society as one of the early save-the-ocean efforts.  To top it off, his wife was a reporter for the Chinese communist newspaper the Daily World.  

And I remember Walter sketching out that weird, extended, distorted IOR-beating transom on a notepad that became a Holland trademark. 

8741.jpg.afdf5077eb8a1384544966782efa9576.jpgth.jpeg.207068295e94fc4b2d721ded11758313.jpeg