sadolph

waterlogged laser question

Hi Folks,

I friend recently discovered an old beater laser under his cottage and he wants to give it to me for free.  Hull number is 102xxx, so later Hawkesbury I think.  "ZFS"

He said "feels like it weighs 300 lbs".  I think this means that the boat must have soaked up a lot of water, and deck core must be completely waterlogged.  I myself cannot pick it up because I broke my leg skiing... another story!

In Canada... so, must have frozen.

The hull deck seam is about 50% split open. 

Here is my possibly idiotic question:

If I accept this free boat, with all the parts, and dry it out for some number of years, and repair the deck-hull seam.... will the resulting boat still be scrap because the foam cored deck will be delaminated?  (freeze thaw etc)   I really don't know how waterlogged foam behaves below freezing.

Think free boat, useful in the dinghy progression from open bic to byte to laser....  not a regatta winning rocket.

cheers.

to be honest, as a proud owner of a pearson laser... even a waterlogged frozen boat might have a better deck than came with my pearson!

• Like 1

update,  I picked it up and it feels normal weight.... so I adopted it.   Hate to see it in the landfill...

Might leak.... a lot.

Mating joint between deck and hull, bailer, and bottom of mast sump are generally sources of leaks.

If mast step is cracked it is a major pain to fix (correctly)

Enjoy!

12 hours ago, sadolph said:

update,  I picked it up and it feels normal weight.... so I adopted it.   Hate to see it in the landfill...

Another one saved. So many boats go the trash just because they need a little work. Good on ya mate. Its going to be the stepping stone someone needs one day.

Those problems you mention are all fixable with some reasonable skills and materials. Plenty of references on-line and here! A key thing is to get things as dry as possible. Since you will need at least one inspection port to access the mast step (even if it looks good highly recommend reinforcing per standard procedure), cut the hole(s) for the inspection ports and then leave the boat out in the sun.

Good luck and have fun with your project.

24 minutes ago, sadolph said:

weighed the boat... need to lose... 30 lbs of water!  wow!

Think you maybe need a new scale or to open the drain plug.  No way a Laser hull has soaked up 30 lbs of water in the "laminate."  For even half that you would see wide spread catastrophic damage.  Just one opinion and worth what you paid.  Good luck.  Hope you get her out sailing and racing!