Sign in to follow this  
DialedN_07

Any Free Apps/Resources for Wind/Currents?

I'm just a dinghy guy for now, but I would like to have a good idea about general conditions (I know they can change fast) before I make my float plan.  I do plan to occasionally go parallel to the beach on the ocean in NC.

Where is the best place to forecast the wind? Direction, speed, etc

Also, if there is the same or different resource for tides/currents, that would help as well. 

Thanks in advance. 

Russell

Windy, windfinder, windguru for wind.

Tidal info I don't know about. Windy says it does currents but it also shows heavy currents on inland waters, so....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HotSnail said:

Windy, windfinder, windguru for wind.

Tidal info I don't know about. Windy says it does currents but it also shows heavy currents on inland waters, so....

Awesome! Any preference on those that you mentioned? 

2 hours ago, HotSnail said:

Tidal info I don't know about

Admiralty Charts :rolleyes:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DialedN_07 said:

I'm just a dinghy guy for now, but I would like to have a good idea about general conditions (I know they can change fast) before I make my float plan.  I do plan to occasionally go parallel to the beach on the ocean in NC.

Where is the best place to forecast the wind? Direction, speed, etc

Also, if there is the same or different resource for tides/currents, that would help as well. 

Thanks in advance. 

Russell

https://www.windy.com

For current, I've not found anything for your area that's as good as this is for New York Harbor and Cape May thru LIS generall

However, if you go here to NCCOOS (The North Carolina Coastal Ocean Observing System) there is some stuff. Go to Maps, then National HF RADAR Network Surface Currents. The map I see only has data from Morehead City north, and mostly off shore, but maybe if you poke around you can find something more local and comprehensive.

• Like 1