Mid

Todays Useless Fact

4 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I always tried to cut seams on important looking stuff. 

My partner and I cut a leisure suit off a old guy in cardiac arrest in church in....1978ish.....we successfully resuscitated him (he was deader than a beaver hat when we got to him) and he sued us for the cost of the suit. :lol:

Judge tossed it.

I hadn't thought much about you guys being in the recovery/treatment chain, and thus having as much legal exposure as the docs for lawsuits, but, I suspect that there were more than a couple.   Shame that you guys who made your living trying to help people had to worry about frivolous crap like that.  

20 minutes ago, Point Break said:

My partner and I cut a leisure suit off a old guy in cardiac arrest in church in....1978ish.....we successfully resuscitated him (he was deader than a beaver hat when we got to him) and he sued us for the cost of the suit. :lol:

Judge tossed it.

What wase coste of the suitte?  $38.74?

30 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Judge tossed it.

About what percentage of dead people are you able to resuscitate like that? Is it true that it works less than 20% of the time?

17 minutes ago, mikewof said:

About what percentage of dead people are you able to resuscitate like that? Is it true that it works less than 20% of the time?

Different EMS systems report different survival rates. All are well below 20% (except Seattle which claims higher than that). There are a number of variables that also vary from system to system (age of patients, cause of cardiac arrest, citizen CPR trained etc.) but there are a couple factors that float to the surface in most studies. CPR within a minute or two, and followup ALS (advanced life support aka paramedics, not just EMT’s) within 10 minutes are significant predictors for survival in any system. Time to defibrillation fir patients in V-Fib is pretty telling as well. If you don’t include arrests that we witness, or traumatic arrests (cardiac arrests in the prehospital setting have abysmal survival rates), the system I worked in had survival rates that varied year to year between 7%-11%. That’s pretty typical. 

Caveat.....I haven’t paid attention to those statistics for about 15 years or so so things might have changed slightly. I doubt they’ve improved much.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mikewof said:

an do thay evere come backe withe specialle poweres ?  Licke thisse......

:)

3 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

an do thay evere come backe withe specialle poweres ?  Licke thisse......

As if coming back isn’t remarkable enough? :lol:

1 minute ago, Point Break said:

As if coming back isn’t remarkable enough? :lol:

I diddentte saye that.......                      :)

(specialle powers ist coole!)

8 hours ago, mikewof said:

I have a useless fact ...

....that would be about 5,000 of them, enough to fill a fleet of 500 Greyhound passenger buses ... 500 buses filled with men who prefer the silky soft comfort .......

So.... Greyhound buses in your neighbourhood only hold 10 people each? Didn't know they had Greyhound short buses....

New fact(oid)...

When in doubt, ease it out....

Or does that belong in Colloquialism Anarchy.....?

a91a2ddd7b0fcf59b7e77cda72b7ce44--pinter

9 hours ago, Point Break said:

Different EMS systems report different survival rates. All are well below 20% (except Seattle which claims higher than that). There are a number of variables that also vary from system to system (age of patients, cause of cardiac arrest, citizen CPR trained etc.) but there are a couple factors that float to the surface in most studies. CPR within a minute or two, and followup ALS (advanced life support aka paramedics, not just EMT’s) within 10 minutes are significant predictors for survival in any system. Time to defibrillation fir patients in V-Fib is pretty telling as well. If you don’t include arrests that we witness, or traumatic arrests (cardiac arrests in the prehospital setting have abysmal survival rates), the system I worked in had survival rates that varied year to year between 7%-11%. That’s pretty typical.

Caveat.....I haven’t paid attention to those statistics for about 15 years or so so things might have changed slightly. I doubt they’ve improved much.

That's the survival rate from a professional resuscitator with the best field equipment. So an amateur with no equipment, and just a single few years old Red Cross CPR certification, is what, 3% to 5% at best?

I'm not putting it down, and I definitely see the value of the Heimlich, because I've successfully used that twice. But it seems that the CPR class never gives us a clue how unlikely chest compressions are to actually help anyone ... probably less likely to help than the implants were to help that otherwise attractive young lady in the photo in the post above.

5 hours ago, mikewof said:

That's the survival rate from a professional resuscitator with the best field equipment. So an amateur with no equipment, and just a single few years old Red Cross CPR certification, is what, 3% to 5% at best?

I'm not putting it down, and I definitely see the value of the Heimlich, because I've successfully used that twice. But it seems that the CPR class never gives us a clue how unlikely chest compressions are to actually help anyone ... probably less likely to help than the implants were to help that otherwise attractive young lady in the photo in the post above.

The Red Cross classes certainly don't (been cert.'d several times in my life).  I did attend a non-Red Cross CPR class that was taught by a pair of firefighters, and they laid it out pretty plainly.  In most cases, it won't work, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikewof said:

I had a guy who was dead walk into our station with his wife and kids and say thank you. His kids said thanks for saving their daddy. It does not happen frequently....but it happens. If nobody does CPR it’ll never happen.

I would do it.

23 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I had a guy who was dead walk into our station with his wife and kids and say thank you. His kids said thanks for saving their daddy. It does not happen frequently....but it happens. If nobody does CPR it’ll never happen.

I would do it.

Yeah, I was certified in it twice. And now I'm told that they're doing away with the breaths in favor of compressions only. But when we take the class, nobody told us how unlikely it is to actually help. I would still do it if possible, but is training on one of those emergency defibrillators perhaps a better use of time? And should offices and stores keep those around? (My old office had a few around.) Do those significantly improve the odds?

25 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Yeah, I was certified in it twice. And now I'm told that they're doing away with the breaths in favor of compressions only. But when we take the class, nobody told us how unlikely it is to actually help. I would still do it if possible, but is training on one of those emergency defibrillators perhaps a better use of time? And should offices and stores keep those around? (My old office had a few around.) Do those significantly improve the odds?

The reason for the change is three fold. It is believed that the mouth to mouth portion of CPR was considered icky/unsafe and keeping people from doing anything. The coordination of the breathing and compressions was difficult for some people. Studies show that the rescue breathing element did not increase blood carried circulating oxygen all that much. So the protocol was changed to compressions only. Something better than nothing. Depending on the patient and circumstances I would still favor including the breathing.

Yes automated external defibrillators improve survivabilty for those persons whose cardiac arrest was due to ventricular fibrillation.  Studies vary pretty widely on what that percentage is. Somewhere between 40% to 80%.

Remember though......it’s described as a chain of survival. CPR almost immediately, if appropriate auto defibrillation within 5 minutes, and ALS care within 10 minutes. Pulling any one out of the chain dramatically reduces the already low probability of a good outcome.

If you want to help....there is an App that will notify you when someone nearby is reported to need CPR. It’s called PulsePoint. 

https://www.pulsepoint.org/

• Like 2

Every time you lick a stamp, you consume 1/10 of a calorie.

bonus useless fact ....................

A pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes.

:angry:

2 minutes ago, Mid said:

bonus useless fact ....................

A pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes.

:angry:

That must be why they squeal so much...

giphy.gif

On 6/20/2018 at 10:47 PM, Point Break said:

Judge tossed it.

Not quite cutting clothes but it's about a cut.  We had a code 3 case one night, the ambulance radioed that the victim was stabbed in the chest.  The EMTs rolled the bare chested guy into the trauma room and we proceeded to cut the rest his clothes off , no problem.  The stab wound turned out to be pretty superficial, although it was a good gash on the left side, about where the heart is, the blade didn't get through the ribs.  The guy is laying there and he says, "Did the bitch cut the tattoo, did she?  Tell me the bitch didn't cut the tattoo!"  The rather  ornate dragon tattoo on his chest was marred by the fact that the tail was now in 2 pieces.   Dude wasn't very happy when we gave him the news.  To add insult to injury, a routine search of his jeans pockets revealed a fair amount of a white powdery substance wrapped in tin foil.  The MPs were called and they said the guy wouldn't get arrested since he was brought by ambulance, however they confiscated the package for testing.

My Dad told a story about being the XO on a Navy ship that for some reason had lifejackets turn up with holes through them. They couldn't figure out where the damage was coming from but a medic mentioned that the damage looked like stabs from a blade. They were able to narrow down the suspects to a few watch standers on the graveyard watch (midnight to 4AM) who are required to don the lifejackets if their duty station is on deck. My Dad took it upon himself to dressing in black and making the rounds to see if he could catch the guy. He finally singled out a deckhand who was in a remote duty station who out of boredom or just to stay awake was making stabbing motions to his chest with a knife. My Dad could see the guy flinching with each stabbing motion and when they lights came on and the MP's grabbed the guy he was taken to the sickbay and examined and found to have many very shallow puncture wounds and older healing scabs and scars. His switchblade was slightly shorter than the average thickness of a standard lifejacket but if he jabbed himself hard enough he would just break the skin. Needless to say they gave him an immediate discharge and he spent the rest of the cruise in the brig!

On 6/11/2018 at 10:24 AM, SloopJonB said:

You were.

The IBM compute center I worked at was on the ground floor of an office building and we used to have spectators at the windows at night to watch the flashing lights on the main console. Large scale mainframe operations were total Buck Rogers stuff in those days.

How many people here even know what S/370 JES even means? :D

Raises hand. Can do Hasp as well?

The 200 petaflop machine is down at Oak Ridge. 

Argonne is getting a 1000 petaflap (1 exaflop) soon

6 hours ago, ChiGuy said:

Raises hand. Can do Hasp as well?

The 200 petaflop machine is down at Oak Ridge. 

Argonne is getting a 1000 petaflap (1 exaflop) soon

I don't know much about computers, but the Peregrine system at my old job is 2.3 Petaflops, and it's huge, it takes up an entire wing in a new building. https://www.nrel.gov/hpc/peregrine-system.html

The thing pumps out so much heat that it has a cooling tower outside the building the size of a grain silo.

I can't imagine a machine a hundred times more powerful than that one, let alone 500 times. Though I'll bet that once the logic circuits are replaced by atomic nuclei controlled by magnetic resonance, that whole computer will fit into a machine the size of a toaster oven.

On 6/20/2018 at 9:37 AM, nacradriver said:

At least have the smarts to do a google search to verify your crap before you post it.

Right back atcha you smug asshole.

Leapfrogging off the work of inventors before him, Gideon Sundback, a Swedish-born electrical engineer who immigrated to Canada, invented the zipper as we know it today in 1917.

• Like 1

Reno, Nevada, is further West than Los Angeles, and women with three and four breasts are genetically dominant to women with two breasts, which suggests that far InTheFuture, women will most commonly have more than two breasts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikewof said:

Reno, Nevada, is further West than Los Angeles, and women with three and four breasts are genetically dominant to women with two breasts, which suggests that far InTheFuture, women will most commonly have more than two breasts.

Ist thisse the lime smoothey talkling or Mickey talkiling?                                        :)

I read that the average polar bear eats three humans per year. Any truth to that?

The Panama canal goes east from the Caribbean to the Pacific.

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

I read that the average polar bear eats three humans per year. Any truth to that?

Can i donate to your gofundme which aims to fund an expedition to proove/disprove this?

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

The Panama canal goes east from the Caribbean to the Pacific.

If you go the short way, isn't the Caribbean east of the Pacific?

3 hours ago, mikewof said:

Ime am thickeng no, 300/yeare is allotte and no waye averriage.  Anville Mountaine Pete gettes a fiewe.  Hese a pette at correctionalle fassilitey since the elect chairre brocke downe.

1 hour ago, Ease the sheet. said:

If you go the short way, isn't the Caribbean east of the Pacific?

SloopJohnB is right

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Panama+Canal/@9.1498645,-79.811027,11.23z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x8fab5f4b31cd492d:0xd9dd11e7a14a0960!8m2!3d9.1438034!4d-79.7285161

The isthmus is runing from NE to SW, the Pacific ocean entrance of the canal is more East than the entrance in the Atlantic ocean

3 hours ago, Laurent said:

SloopJohnB is right

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Panama+Canal/@9.1498645,-79.811027,11.23z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x8fab5f4b31cd492d:0xd9dd11e7a14a0960!8m2!3d9.1438034!4d-79.7285161

The isthmus is runing from NE to SW, the Pacific ocean entrance of the canal is more East than the entrance in the Atlantic ocean

Sir, I am forever in yours, and sjb's debt.

10 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Can i donate to your gofundme which aims to fund an expedition to proove/disprove this?

Being one of the three people per year to be eaten by a polar bear seems a much better way to go than fading away with congenital heart failure in some assisted living facility in Dubuque ... suck on that Hemingway.

Heck, maybe your gofundme could be for a business that just ships old, miserable people to the polar bears for quick disposal. And with lots of old people to eat, the polar bears might not want to go extinct, anymore. And since their Arctic range is diminishing with global warming, why not send some of the polar bears to live in assisted living facilities in places like Dubuque, Spokane, Orlando, Fort Worth and Omaha? They could roam the halls when they get hungry, and the old folks who want a quick end could wear a bright yellow t-shirt. The polar bears could be trained to only ingest humans who wear that bright yellow shirt?

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

Heck, maybe your gofundme could be for a business that just ships old, miserable people to the polar bears for quick disposal.

Careful there Mike - you'll wipe out SA. :D

Well.....PA for sure.

15 hours ago, mikewof said:

Being one of the three people per year to be eaten by a polar bear seems a much better way to go than fading away with congenital heart failure in some assisted living facility in Dubuque ... suck on that Hemingway.

Heck, maybe your gofundme could be for a business that just ships old, miserable people to the polar bears for quick disposal. And with lots of old people to eat, the polar bears might not want to go extinct, anymore. And since their Arctic range is diminishing with global warming, why not send some of the polar bears to live in assisted living facilities in places like Dubuque, Spokane, Orlando, Fort Worth and Omaha? They could roam the halls when they get hungry, and the old folks who want a quick end could wear a bright yellow t-shirt. The polar bears could be trained to only ingest humans who wear that bright yellow shirt?

I'm not bringing polar bears to Florida.  They've got .22's!

20 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Sir, I am forever in yours, and sjb's debt.

If you want another piece of useless and accurate information, just ask me.

I am an engineer.

:D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Laurent said:

If you want another piece of useless and accurate information, just ask me.

I am an engineer.

:D

Where's my hover board?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mikewof said:

The polar bears could be trained to only ingest humans who wear that bright yellow shirt?

That traineng mabey tuoffestte parte of you plan..                              :)

4 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

I'm not bringing polar bears to Florida.  They've got .22's!

True story ... when David Attenborough's documentary team went north for footage into polar bear country, the bears tended to make a nuisance of themselves around the camp. The guides used a reliable method to send them on their way, they shot them with a hard plastic deer slug from a shotgun. They would shoot a couple plastic slugs at the giant beasts, who tended to look only mildly annoyed at them, essentially like the buzzing of a fly. These 1,000 pound bears just barely noticed getting shot by one of the most lethal riot control tools ever made ... each bear is equivalent in weight to three full-grown Silverback Gorillas.

Trivial facts...me being a comms network nerd...

-A single strand of fibre optic cable can run at 160 terabytes per second. This is enough to support 5 billion simultaneous voip phone calls.

-The longest fibre optic cable (point to point) is 16,000kms long, with no electronic conversion.

-A submarine cable has a maximum of only 8 strands of glass.

-The core of the glass strand, that the signal travels through, has a maximum OD of 0.009 of a mm.

• Like 2

A gentleman has improves his chances of getting a lady friend for the evening at a hotel honesty bar than at a regular bar, by something like 50%.

Experts aren't sure why this is so, but gentlemen do prefer honesty bars, probably for this reason.

4 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Trivial facts...me being a comms network nerd...

-A single strand of fibre optic cable can run at 160 terabytes per second. This is enough to support 5 billion simultaneous voip phone calls.

-The longest fibre optic cable (point to point) is 16,000kms long, with no electronic conversion.

-A submarine cable has a maximum of only 8 strands of glass.

-The core of the glass strand, that the signal travels through, has a maximum OD of 0.009 of a mm.

Mind blowing stuff. They just keep splitting the fibers by sending more and more different wavelengths down the pipe. That one strand of glass can supposedly have 256 colors running through it at once, each color carries an entire data pipe.

46 minutes ago, mikewof said:

A gentleman has improves his chances of getting a lady friend for the evening at a hotel honesty bar than at a regular bar, by something like 50%.

Experts aren't sure why this is so, but gentlemen do prefer honesty bars, probably for this reason.

Image result for hotel honesty bar

The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets.

70% of all boats sold are used for fishing.

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

No it doesn't.

Try it.

10 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

No it doesn't.

Try it.

It does. you might need a decent calculator that doesn't round the digits or convert to scientific notation, but it works.

Try it in Excel where you can change the display notation and precision.

The Kellogg's cereal Cracklin' Oat Bran and sugar glue was once used to make a functional glider which flew over a quarter of a mile before one of the six-foot oat bran wings fell off and the glider crashed.

A Scottish artist constructed a 70-foot long paper boat that was somewhat seaworthy ... (I remember seeing it floating in the Hudson River.)

PAPER_BOAT_LAUNCH_GLASGOW_1989_Large.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/8/2018 at 9:15 AM, mikewof said:

It does. you might need a decent calculator that doesn't round the digits or convert to scientific notation, but it works.

Try it in Excel where you can change the display notation and precision.

Cheapie solar calculator on my desk still makes the number interesting.  1.234565432   Cool!  :-)

In the days of segmented displays on calculators the test was

12345679*7.2

Tested all the numeric keys (except 8) and all the segments. 

According to Miller's Anatomy, there are about 15,000 hairs per square inch on a dog,

2 hours ago, Mark K said:

According to Miller's Anatomy, there are about 15,000 hairs per square inch on a dog,

And 6,230 of those end up in every square inch of our floor per day.

I'm fortunate though, my dog only sheds once per year ... but it lasts from January to December. Thank heavens for the Furminator.

4 hours ago, mikewof said:

And 6,230 of those end up in every square inch of our floor per day.

I'm fortunate though, my dog only sheds once per year ... but it lasts from January to December. Thank heavens for the Furminator.

You are lucky they finish up on the floor. Ours seem to always be on clothes. And the bigger the colour difference the higher the landing rate. 

2 hours ago, Gissie said:

You are lucky they finish up on the floor. Ours seem to always be on clothes. And the bigger the colour difference the higher the landing rate. 

Do you have a Furminator? Makes a big difference. They have one now that connects to the vacuum.

I remember about ten years ago, a fellow Sailing Anarchist mentioned that he vacuumed his dog. It seemed like a good plan, so I gradually trained our vacuum-terrified coonhound to associate the sound of the vacuum with treats. It took a month, first the vacuum was running on the other side of the house, then I gradually inched it closer to her hiding place while giving her treats. Eventually she acquiesced to letting me run the vacuum hose on her fur. It did help, but I abandoned it when a neighbor gave us a Furminator comb, that thing removed mountains of fur, "enough to make a new dog" was how another SAer put it.

But the odd part is that now, when I vacuum, ten years later, she runs out to be near the vacuum cleaner, she still associates the sound with dog treats.

Your name wouldn't be Pavlov would it?

In 1992 the 3 major candidates for POTUS were all left handed. Suppose they still are.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, d'ranger said:

In 1992 the 3 major candidates for POTUS were all left handed. Suppose they still are.

I think left handedness in presidential candidates is higher than the general population, especially since ww2

That might explain a few things.

So, turns out Clinton, Ford, H.W. Bush, Obama, Reagan all left handed.  Trump and W - nope.   So, I had no idea who some famous lefties were/are. Babe Ruth.  Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Oprah, John McCain, Mark HidenburgZuckerberg, Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Justin Beiber (threw that in to make the insecure righty's feel better. Paul McCartney, Jimi Hendrix,

Aristotle, Marie Curie, L Da Vinci, Napoleon it just goes on and on. Tina Fey, Will Ferrell.  Who knew.  James Garfield (the POTUS not the cat) Herbert Hoover, Harry Truman.  Sandy Koufax, Ty Cobb, Ted Williams, Lefty Frizzell (actually no idea just assume that is why he is called Lefty).

On 7/8/2018 at 5:22 AM, Mid said:

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

That's amazing. What goes up must come down in one simple equation that references one integer, one. Whoa.

5 hours ago, d'ranger said:

So, turns out Clinton, Ford, H.W. Bush, Obama, Reagan all left handed.  Trump and W - nope.   So, I had no idea who some famous lefties were/are. Babe Ruth.  Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Oprah, John McCain, Mark HidenburgZuckerberg, Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Justin Beiber (threw that in to make the insecure righty's feel better. Paul McCartney, Jimi Hendrix,

Aristotle, Marie Curie, L Da Vinci, Napoleon it just goes on and on. Tina Fey, Will Ferrell.  Who knew.  James Garfield (the POTUS not the cat) Herbert Hoover, Harry Truman.  Sandy Koufax, Ty Cobb, Ted Williams, Lefty Frizzell (actually no idea just assume that is why he is called Lefty).

I was already comfortable with my superiority. Bur its nice that you listed my peers. ...

Lee Harvey Oswald. yup, used right handed bolt action shooting left handed. 

2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

mabey thast why he wase so faste withe thoise shottes........

2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Not being familiar with gun stuff, don't all lefty's have to learn to shoot "right handed"? I mean there are not left handed rifles are there?

3 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Not being familiar with gun stuff, don't all lefty's have to learn to shoot "right handed"? I mean there are not left handed rifles are there?

No, you can buy or have them modified for left handed. Some people can’t shoot right handed, especially if they are left eye dominant. Most are ambidextrous of the shelf. 

A lot of shotguns are also ambidextrous, mine is specifically right handed, it would be useless for a left eye/handed shooter. 

Other than the bolt handle or ejection port what is left or right handed about a long gun?

28 minutes ago, mad said:

No, you can buy or have them modified for left handed. Some people can’t shoot right handed, especially if they are left eye dominant. Most are ambidextrous of the shelf. 

A lot of shotguns are also ambidextrous, mine is specifically right handed, it would be useless for a left eye/handed shooter. 

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

I never read the Warren report but I don’t recall the left or right handed discussion before. Would that equipment accommodation have been the case in late 1950’s to 1963? I know Oswald was reported to be a mediocre marksman during his military service but I’m thinking those lefty accomodations were not available at that time? 

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Other than the bolt handle or ejection port what is left or right handed about a long gun?

The stock too, if it's an asymmetrical design with a cheek pad, but those aren't too common.  I'm left-eye dominant and right handed but am ambidextrous enough that I prefer a left handed rifle. 

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Safety, mag release, mostly... It''s not a deal killer, just clumsier for lefties.  

It is not permitted to modify anything on a weapon in the military so Oswald was probably so used to operating a bolt action rifle with a right handed bolt he didn't give a shit about that. 

1 minute ago, Mark K said:

Safety, mag release, mostly... It''s not a deal killer, just clumsier for lefties.  

It is not permitted to modify anything on a weapon in the military so Oswald was probably so used to operating a bolt action rifle with a right handed bolt he didn't give a shit about that. 

What’s the ruling on left handed shooters in the forces if you can’t modify the weapon?

7 minutes ago, mad said:

What’s the ruling on left handed shooters in the forces if you can’t modify the weapon?

A desk job? See REMF or POG. :lol:

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mark K said:

So..... he coude of actted alloane?

2 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

So..... he coude of actted alloane?

Who knows......he wasn't exactly a "sniper" in the Marine Crops. Middle of the road marksman I think. 

2 hours ago, mad said:

Watch out for empty cases in the side of the head. .....

2 hours ago, Mark K said:

Semi/autos arent a problem,  except the ejected cases can hit you in the head, or fly through your vision. A bit distracting.

Bolt actions mean you take your cheek off the rest and lose visual  on the target when you cycle the bolt.

5 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Bolt actions mean you take your cheek off the rest and lose visual  on the target when you cycle the bolt.

So, you adgree three shottes in 5.6 secants ist notte possibelle?

2 hours ago, mad said:

"Deal with it." 

8 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

So, you adgree three shottes in 5.6 secants ist notte possibelle?

3 shots in 5.6 seconds is easy.  Hitting someone with those 3 shots? Not so easy..  

10 minutes ago, Mark K said:

"Deal with it."

Thast ist life of lefties.                                 :)

21 minutes ago, Mark K said:

"Deal with it." 

Being right handed I’ve never considered it before. 

4 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Thast ist life of lefties.                                 :)

Indeed. 

If Oswald had the weapon braced, which many think he did because of the boxes stacked under the window, being left handed may have actually been an advantage. , Using his right to operate the bolt, his finger can stay close to the trigger. 

1 minute ago, Mark K said:

Indeed. 

If Oswald had the weapon braced, which many think he did because of the boxes stacked under the window, being left handed may have actually been an advantage. , Using his right to operate the bolt, his finger can stay close to the trigger. 

Canne we alle adgree; Lefties innovatte outta nessesitey!

7 hours ago, Point Break said:

I'm left-handed, but I've only ever used a right-handed bolt. Spending a lifetime as a lefty in a right-handed world forces a guy to do certain things with both hands, that's one of them. Still, when you get to ease into your natural configuration, it's better. And it's why I want to buy a lever-action eventually, it's more comfortable.

Still, things have improved, lefties aren't hated anymore, that seems to have shifted to redheads. When I was a kid, I learned to write with my right hand for when my dad was around, or when certain teachers were watching, to avoid a beating or having the pen yanked from my hand and placed in the other, respectively. One weird thing stuck ... when I used to teach physics, I noticed that I used both hands to write on the chalkboard. That was a necessity as a kid, because I had to hide the left-handedness from the other kids and the teacher, and that was impossible when I was forced to go up to the board.

Both Lee Harvey Oswald and Mike Ditka were born on Oct 18, 1939. 

Little known fact ... on the inside of every vehicle tire made in the USA, is a trace of the inspector's thumb print in indelible UV ink.