Sign in to follow this  
Cal20sailor

Anthony Bourdain

Dead and I liked the guy.  He always kept it real.  We all have demons. 

Shit. :(

He had the world by the tail. 

I guess it's true. Never compare your inside to someone else's outside. 

Is it a coincidence that he said he would poison President Trump and now he was found dead by “suicide”?

Hmmmm....

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, PuffyJman said:

Is it a coincidence that he said he would poison President Trump and now he was found dead by “suicide”?

Hmmmm....

Show some respect.

3 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Show some respect.

Really? There are dozens of these dts threads that go full on pun or whatever in an instant.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Really? There are dozens of these dts threads that go full on pun or whatever in an instant.

And thats why this forum is a toxic shithole half the time lately.

Yup, 

I keep forgetting the asshole level of this group.

Enjoyed his journalistic style and sense of irony.  I generally don't miss dead celebrities, but I read a few of his books and he was an insightful entertainer. RIP.

I met Mr. Bourdain a few years ago in Manhattan....had a nice 2 minute talk with him telling him how much I enjoyed his views on food and travel...he was very nice and cordial....one never knows what type of demons are lurking inside.....sad

I think I'll go have something nice, but weird for dinner.

RIP Mr. Bourdain, really liked your work.

18 minutes ago, hobot said:

RIP Mr. Bourdain, really liked your work.

I wonder if he had some health issue that he decided not to face

He made some great shows, I don't watch much TV but caught several of his. He had a way of riffing on culture, history, and of course food, that was unique and informative and fun.

-DSK

I liked his show. It was the only time I'd tune to CNN. I've been in some pretty dark places and it sucks.

• Like 1

"Kitchen Confidential" was a great read for me.   Sorry to hear this, and hope it might tilt others toward asking for help rather than checking out.

"Kitchen Confidential" was a revelation for me as well, as much as anything due to timing: it came out when I was about 22 years old, which was the perfect time in life to read the book.

Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spade both were cultural and style icons to many in my generation, even if they superficially had little in common.  And now both gone, each by their own hand, this week.  RIP.

3 hours ago, PuffyJman said:

Hmmmm....

If you saw his early interviews before he became real famous, he talked about his life and addictions and how he was in the gutter on the road to self destruction.

I think his CNN contract over worked him and he never had time to really enjoy his life.

I blame the fracking work work work bullshit Hollywood/TV/Media attitude. More people have OD'd or commit suicide who should not have. Money is not everything, but it is nice to have enough to enjoy life.

I really liked watching his travels in Asia and South America.

Yea, I'm hoping it's not another heroin overdose death.

3 minutes ago, hobot said:

Dimes to doughnuts...

That was my first thought this morning when I saw the headline.

5 hours ago, bmiller said:

Yup, there should really be a cooling off period before it starts.

Like to room temperature at least. :mellow:

2 hours ago, hobot said:

He hung himself. Ripert found him. :(

https://youtu.be/RyUVNFBZ_X4

4 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

If you saw his early interviews before he became real famous, he talked about his life and addictions and how he was in the gutter on the road to self destruction.

I think his CNN contract over worked him and he never had time to really enjoy his life.

I blame the fracking work work work bullshit Hollywood/TV/Media attitude. More people have OD'd or commit suicide who should not have. Money is not everything, but it is nice to have enough to enjoy life.

I really liked watching his travels in Asia and South America.

1 hour ago, TonyFromSheepsheadBay said:

Bullshit.   That's a choice. The dude had a sickness.  Nothing to do with a work contract. 

What the hell do you think pushed him over the edge?

I know many more people in horrible situations of health and finances that want to die but go on.

Maybe he had a genetic problem rather than mental.

I got to see Anthony Bourdain and Eric Ripert at a Distinguished Speaker Series two years ago.  A very entertaining couple of hours.  As he was on television, he was brutally honest about his faults. Sad to lose him, by any means.

• Like 1

Never heard of him. What was he, another TV chef? 

29 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Never heard of him. What was he, another TV chef? 

Better than most, not a reality TV screamer.

Bourdain was vastly entertaining, as well as being humbly arrogant / arrogantly humble. Dammit.

I watched the "No Reservations" series.  He was a legend.

I wonder what they'll do with Parts Unknown tomorrow...It'll probably be the highest rated show on TV.

I'm in awe of anyone who hasn't had a close friend commit suicide.  The pain of wondering what you could have done is unbearable.

You don't.  I'll pray for your friend and I'm not religious.

3 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Too be fair you live in Australia and just got internet access.  I expect better input from you in the future.

We are getting running water soon.

Strange as it may seem not all Australians are obsessed with American Pop culture. 

Bourdain was the total antithesis of "American pop culture."

He despised that whole scene.  I only use the TV for MotoGP, Formula 1, Top Gear, etc but I always watched AB's shows. Interesting and joyful stuff.  He was a man of integrity, especially as an ex-junkie and line cook, both very shady occupations.

I suspect he realised he'd fucked up massively leaving his wife and daughter for a movie bimbo. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I'm in awe of anyone who hasn't had a close friend commit suicide.  The pain of wondering what you could have done is unbearable.

Its really awful, I had a very close friend kill herself when I was offshore. You spend a lot of time angry at yourself for not "being there" and, you're right, wondering if there's anything you could do.

And Happy, that's a bit of a fucking retarded thing to say (but again, this is SA, so it should be expected), most likely the end of his marriage had to do with the 250 days a year traveling and from all reports, it was mutual.

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

We are getting running water soon.

Strange as it may seem not all Australians are obsessed with American Pop culture. 

He kept it real, he had flaws, and knew how to cuss. You guys would have got along fine. 

Very sad. I always enjoyed No Reservations. It was as if Hunter S Thompson had a Food/Travel show. His cameraman was from Milo Maine and they put together a show in Maine that was one of his best. He was candid about his vices. In a Nicaragua episode he filmed tons of cocaine bricks being burned and expressed mixed feelings. The locals he sought out always seemed genuine. 

LB 9:30 tonight on the Food network, according to Brisbane tv guide. Show is called Anthony Bourdain; No Reservations.

6 hours ago, Fakenews said:

I have a friend who’s 17 year old son did.  A great kid.  He told me his son told him he was going to do it.  How do you live with that?  How could he have stopped it?

For years my friend said he was going to kill himself. He did. 

Suicide only hurts those left behind.

I watched the first bit of the CNN special "PARTS UNKNOWN" and it was bitter sweet. He was better in "No Reservations" (IMHOP) because he was restrained in some respects, but pushed the boundaries. In "PARTS UNKNOWN" he was pretty much given carte blanche, and I think it bored him to not have walls to breach....

None the less, I will miss him, and his acerbic wit, wry humor, and very obviously genuine caring for his fellow humans.

I've read all his books, watched his TV from the very early days of No Reservations.  Tony inspired my wife and I to travel, try new foods, and to move to latin america (miami)... This was very shocking for us.

Eric Ripert says he was a in really dark place those last 4 days.  About 4 days ago the papparazi in Rome photographed his GF w/ a younger dude... they appeared to be a couple.   Not hard to connect the dots, but JFC I can't imagine allowing a woman to get in your head like that and push you over the edge.

Obviously very likely there was some deep seeded mental health issues.  Tony clearly had unimaginable blessings, but his issues must have been very painful for him... to leave behind a young daughter, incredibly sad.

20 hours ago, TPG said:

Its really awful, I had a very close friend kill herself when I was offshore. You spend a lot of time angry at yourself for not "being there" and, you're right, wondering if there's anything you could do.

And Happy, that's a bit of a fucking retarded thing to say (but again, this is SA, so it should be expected), most likely the end of his marriage had to do with the 250 days a year traveling and from all reports, it was mutual.

Thanks for making me feel a little bit better about myself.

Trying to pin down a "cause" for suicide is like trying to nail jello to the wall. It is so multi-factorial, complicated by the unpredictability of human biology, and subject to impulses that some retrospective analyses is sure to fall short of the reality. Frankly, I have attended quite a few and what little I have learned is.......its a sad tragic thing that is not easily subjected to rational analysis. Even people who state "why" in some communication prior are most often not processing clearly or deliberately. Sometimes - yes. But I think that is rare. 

• Like 2

tragic loss, really enjoyed his shows.

Looks like he should have stuck to someone his age.  I question someone who had an ongoing relationship with Weinstein.

The photos of Asia with her boyfriend would not help someone who was already not happy.

• Downvote 2