Uncooperative Tom

Authorizing Unitary Military Forever!

Authorizing Unitary Military Forever!

Or something. I'm not great at the acronym thing.

Turley reminded the subcommittee that when one person at the United States' constitutional convention suggested giving war-making power to the executive, he couldn't even get anyone to second the motion. The desire to avoid political blame or responsibility on the part of the legislature, Turley noted, led them to begin evading that responsibility before the 18th century was even over when John Adams' administration sought war with France. Despite all the wars we've waged, only five of them (the last in 1942) involved constitutionally obligatory declarations from Congress.

It's hard to figure how to make a bad situation worse sometimes, but not for Congress.

Corker-Kaine, from Anders' perspective, would be even worse. "It would be hard to overstate the depth and breadth of the dangers to the Constitution, civil liberties, and human rights that the Corker-Kaine AUMF would cause," he said. "Not only would it almost irretrievably cede to the Executive Branch the most fundamental power that Congress has under Article I of the Constitution—the power to declare war—but it also would give the current president and all future presidents authority from Congress to engage in worldwide war, sending American troops to countries where we are not now at war and against groups that the President alone decides are enemies."

That proposed new AUMF would instantly codify that currently ongoing wars are presumptively approved, whether or not they legitimately fit the demands of the original AUMFs; empower the president to start wars in new countries non-defensively without requiring a vote from Congress, though Congress could decide not to allow it retroactively; and the AUMF would allow the president to unilaterally add any new "associated force" with which we shall then be at war, including potentially U.S. persons on U.S. soil.

Alot of Unauthorized Military Fuckery is the reason they should be having this debate. Still not good at it.

What is it about becoming President that changes a person?

W got elected in part by decrying all the "nation building" that was going on. Then became Nation-builder in chief.

America reacted by choosing Obama over the hawkish Hillary in the D primary and then electing him. Then he became George W Obama on foreign policy.

Now we've elected Trump, who didn't like all that Obama interventionism. And has become Barack Hussein Trump on foreign interventions.

Take Afghanistan, a war now in its 17th year, which started as a just mission to eliminate those responsible for 9/11. Years before Trump declared his presidential aspirations, he wrote what many Americans believed about the war: that it had become a strategic blunder. In 2012, he called it "a total disaster" that proved America's leaders didn't know what they were doing. A year later, he tweeted his support for "a speedy withdrawal." Trump, after all, was a businessman, and Afghanistan was a losing investment. "Why should we keep wasting our money?" he asked.

Yet once he had the power to actually pull out American troops, Trump deferred to a national security team led by establishment figures such as Defense Secretary James Mattis and then–National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster. As in previous administrations, the generals got what they requested—no change in strategy, just more time and resources.

Of course something similar is now playing out in Syria. Trump has taken the very approach that he counseled against in 2013—all without obtaining congressional approval, as the Constitution requires.

His decision to launch a punitive missile attack against Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad in retaliation for that regime's use of chemical weapons was precisely the opposite of what Trump had recommended when he was a private citizen. "We should stay the hell out of Syria," he wrote on Twitter in 2013

I didn't know the members of the military were Unitarians.

We may never win a war, but we win enough skirmishes people feel all patriotic and the military industrial complex makes money.  Even a skirmish over the failed recovery of a pilot on a failed mission was worthy of an epic movie.   Until we suffer another Beiruit and large numbers die without glory, this seems doomed to continue.   As long as we can fight with mercenaries and drones, we are doomed to war without end until the pentagon can no longer get credit to buy new toys.

i got a mailed survey and donation request from the Republican Party disguised as official correspondence from my district.   Questions included

“Should the US take a more muscular attitude toward Russia and China as they move to establish themselves as military and economic superpowers?”    

“Do you agree with Republicans commitment to fully fund a missile defense shield...?”    After thirty years, we’re finally going to build a giant robot in space with a lightsaber!”

Which is more important:

Keeping unilateral war making power away from Trump?

Or

Keeping unilateral war making power?

The answer seems Eva Dent. And unfortunate. Even the election of Trump can't make people start to question the wisdom of our Unitary Exec.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:06 AM, Blue Crab said:

I'm guessing we'll need to wait for the CongressWOMEN TO PROVIDE THE BALLS.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!!

22 hours ago, billy backstay said:
On 6/8/2018 at 11:06 AM, Blue Crab said:

I'm guessing we'll need to wait for the CongressWOMEN TO PROVIDE THE BALLS.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!!

Which women are you guys hoping will suddenly start to oppose unilateral executive war-making power?

I don't know of any who merit that hope but maybe I missed something?