Sign in to follow this  
feffe

Does the jib of the new 49er rig fit in the old 49er rig?

Hello everyone. I have a 49er with the old rig mast and I am looking for new sails. I found a Jib and spinnaker of a new 49er rig and I don't know if I can set them in my old 49er rig. Naturally, I can't try them before buying them as these sails are far away from where I have my 49er. Thank you in advance. 

as far as I can remember, kite is exactly the same, and jib had very little changes, but it fits. not 100% sure though

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, feffe said:

Hello everyone. I have a 49er with the old rig mast and I am looking for new sails. I found a Jib and spinnaker of a new 49er rig and I don't know if I can set them in my old 49er rig. Naturally, I can't try them before buying them as these sails are far away from where I have my 49er. Thank you in advance. 

PM anarchist JulianB, he designed both the old and new rig...and the 49er in fact.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 17mika said:

as far as I can remember, kite is exactly the same, and jib had very little changes, but it fits. not 100% sure though

17 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

PM anarchist JulianB, he designed both the old and new rig...and the 49er in fact.

Thank you guys!!

my recollection is there was a whitepaper Julian/Bethwaite Design published that said they moved the battens slightly for aesthetic reasons to match the battens/draft stripes of the new main, which slightly changes the area/CE of the jib by some mathematically discernible but functionally irrelevant amount. They also went to a zipper luff, obviously. 

Jib will fit.  You may need to go up a hole in the clew board.

The new spinnaker will be 100mm long in the luff, but I would not worry about it.   it will be just a tad flat off the luff.

jb