Sign in to follow this  
inneedofadvice

Restraining headsail when on deck

When your headsail is dropped on the deck whether for downwind or motoring in or out of port, what are you all using to restrain it from blowing all over? I've seen bungy setups but never looked carefully at how they were arranged. Or should I just keep tying it off with a piece of line? 

I use webbing sail stops that my sailmaker supplies to tie up sails. They have a stiched loop at one end which I secure around the pulpit and lifelines; I pass the running end around the sail and hitch it back onto the lifeline. I leave them attached at all times, as I have a fully battened jib which flakes onto the deck and this is how I secure it when stowed. I have a zippered full length cover secured under the straps.when anchored or moored.

• Like 1

A lot of boats have bungee triangles fixed to the stanchion bases or footrails on either side of the bow. They are pulled over the sail and connected in the middle. Another neat thing to have is a strop fixed close to the tack with a snap shackle on the other end. It is connected to the halyard which then can be put under some tension which keeps the sail in the luff groove and the halyard from swinging around and pulling up the sail.

bungee from the bow pulpit back to the first (or 2nd) stanchion on one or both sides with a nylon/plastic hook in the middle (kept in place with a knot in the bungee)  hook it to the lifeline on the other side or the other bungee on top of the jib.  don't wad the sail up too much

20 hours ago, tomtriad said:

I use webbing sail stops that my sailmaker supplies to tie up sails. They have a stiched loop at one end which I secure around the pulpit and lifelines; I pass the running end around the sail and hitch it back onto the lifeline. 

+1 to sails ties.

On 6/8/2018 at 10:43 AM, inneedofadvice said:

When your headsail is dropped on the deck whether for downwind or motoring in or out of port, what are you all using to restrain it from blowing all over? I've seen bungy setups but never looked carefully at how they were arranged. Or should I just keep tying it off with a piece of line? 

Jock straps