pjmsj21

Removing Duct Tape Residue From Cabin Top

During the winter I had a portlight leak.  To remedy the situation, I covered the portlight with plastic that was duct tapped to the cabin top.  See attached. I am now trying to remove the residue without damaging the paint.  Keep in mind that the deck of this boat was repainted by hand (PO) so it cant take much of an aggressive treatment.

I tried Goop Off and it blistered a small area even though I rinsed it.  I have been using a sponge with an abrasive side and it to removes the paint.   Thoughts suggestions.....how about a wet sand paper with a very grit ie 220?

Thanks

IMG_3437.jpg

Heat gun used carefully.

48 minutes ago, pjmsj21 said:

Heat gun as in a hair dryer?

You could try it but they are not usually hot enough - a proper heat gun - like an industrial strength hair dyer.

You can get one like this at HF for a few bucks. Mine works great.

image.png.5e116f7144c6d5081f715da6a78748d5.png

27 minutes ago, Blitz said:

WD 40

+1

I've used it with paper towels on much worse duct tape residue (3M and Gorilla Tape)

Goo Be Gone works decently as well and smells better.

Warmer weather helps too.

37 minutes ago, See Level said:

This stuff

227553.jpg

yeah be careful with that stuff it has benzine in it, we stopped using it at the loft years ago. WD40 will work also try a damp magic eraser.

29 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

+1

I've used it with paper towels on much worse duct tape residue (3M and Gorilla Tape)

Goo Be Gone works decently as well and smells better.

Warmer weather helps too.

Is WD40 more mild than Goo Gone, which I tried and it bubbled the paint?

56 minutes ago, pjmsj21 said:

Is WD40 more mild than Goo Gone, which I tried and it bubbled the paint?

You mentioned you used Goof Off, not Goo Gone.  They are not the same product.  Goof off is much stronger.  Here is what they say on Amazon about the two: https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/TxBNYUGXBTQGQD?_encoding=UTF8&sort=helpful 

I doubt you will have a problem with either WD40 or Goo Gone.

• Like 1

I'll second the WD 40 approach as well. I've never seen it damage paint.  12metre is also correct.  Significant difference between Goo Gone (mild, usually doesn't attack paint), and Goof Off (much more aggressive, can attack paint)

My formula for Adhesive Remover, works on all types of adhesives:

1 Gallon of Gasoline / 4 Litres Petrol

3 Gallons of Kerosene / 12 Litres of Parafin

Mix well.

Spread liberally around affected areas. Let soak.

Light match. Throw onto affected area. Adhesive gone!

Yeah, we got that 5 or 6 times ago.

It was slightly amusing the first time.

Warm up the goo. Tear off a fresh piece of duct tape. Dab at the goo with the duct tape. Goo sticks to the tape. Not your cabin top. No chemicals needed. 

45 minutes ago, monsters inc said:

Warm up the goo. Tear off a fresh piece of duct tape. Dab at the goo with the duct tape. Goo sticks to the tape. Not your cabin top. No chemicals needed. 

I predict a satisfaction level of 2/10 with this approach. You will need something else for the remaining 8/10. If the paint peels with WD40 or Goo Gone, it was not long for this world anyway.

A paper towel damp with acetone might work better than you expect. Acetone is volatile and can evaporate without disturbing the paint much. Goof Off is designed to stick around and soak in quite a bit longer.

Sandpaper and Magic Eraser: adhesive is not hard enough for these (mild) abrasive to work.

15 hours ago, tenders said:

I predict a satisfaction level of 2/10 with this approach. You will need something else for the remaining 8/10. If the paint peels with WD40 or Goo Gone, it was not long for this world anyway.

A paper towel damp with acetone might work better than you expect. Acetone is volatile and can evaporate without disturbing the paint much. Goof Off is designed to stick around and soak in quite a bit longer.

Sandpaper and Magic Eraser: adhesive is not hard enough for these (mild) abrasive to work.

I suspect you have never tried the tape trick. Your knee jerk reply gives me 2/ 10  on the give a shit factor . Acetone? bye bye paint. On the other hand, it may help with the old paint removal, which probably will need doing soon anyhow. Good luck pjmsj21

17 hours ago, monsters inc said:

I'm a bit skeptical, but i would certainly give it a shot when I need to do it again.  

I recall as a kid I found it amusing to spread out contact cement then rolling it all up into a little ball. As it rolled, the ball would pick up the remaining adhesive.  Kind of like building a snowman.  Not sure if this would work with tape adhesive, but certainly works with contact cement.

19 hours ago, monsters inc said:

I suspect you have never tried the tape trick. Your knee jerk reply gives me 2/ 10  on the give a shit factor . Acetone? bye bye paint. On the other hand, it may help with the old paint removal, which probably will need doing soon anyhow. Good luck pjmsj21

Eh? Of course I’ve tried the duct tape trick. Let the original poster come back and extol its virtues, if it’s so great. My experience has been that it’s especially ineffective on painted surfaces. Duct tape residue that’s been out in the elements for a while and picked up some dirt is not following the same rules as contact cement or any other adhesive.

Speaking of tricks, I will admit that trick worked last night pulling the hair off your mom’s back before she started turning her tricks. So thanks for that.

I think I was clear on the expectations for acetone.

The bottom line here is that there is no great way to undo the effects of bad judgement putting gooey things on top of iffy paint. Duct tape used as anything more than an afternoon solution usually results in more work than it would have taken to find a better solution in the first place. It’s not even that great on actual ducts.

35 minutes ago, tenders said:

... The bottom line here is that there is no great way to undo the effects of bad judgement putting gooey things on top of iffy paint. Duct tape used as anything more than an afternoon solution usually results in more work than it would have taken to find a better solution in the first place. It’s not even that great on actual ducts.

This. To use the British term, duct tape is shite. The Madison Ave types hit a bases-loaded home run selling it.

Don't let Red Green hear you say that.

On 6/10/2018 at 2:14 PM, Blitz said:

Well?  Is it cleaned up?

Yes it is cleaned up.  In the end it was suggested to use rubbing compound which with a lot of elbow grease worked reasonably well.  It provided just enough abrasion to remove the residue and provide a nice workout.  Lesson certainly learned!