Sign in to follow this  
Grey Dawn

Gonet Monofoil

The Gonet Monofoil was designed by a team including skipper Eric Monnin and his brother Jean-Claude, an expert on foil design for Emirates Team New Zealand in the last Cup in Bermuda.
The boat was two years in development with testing on Lake Lucerne -- the project was launched before the Kiwis, as America's Cup winners in 2017, announced a surprise switch to foiling monohulls from the high-speed foiling multihulls of the past two editions.

21 minutes ago, Grey Dawn said:

Eric Monnin and his brother Jean-Claude, an expert on foil design for Emirates Team New Zealand in the last Cup in Bermuda.

Any connection? ;)

It seems to confirm the rumors I heard a year ago. Last one: other prototypes would be tested on secret lakes, some of them will be racing the Bol D'Or.

850kg. If accurate that is interestingly heavy for an 8m foiler. Curious to see this covered by CNN rather than sailing media. Maybe there wasn't a press release to copy and paste. Anyway, I am intrigued to learn more.

Not really, versus the Quant 23 the Gonet is 1m longer but nearly 3 times the weight. They are different kinds of animals.

Dog watch,

to me the question then is why 3 times the weight and only 1m longer?

if you want a fully foiling monohull the quant approach seems a relatively simple solution. What is the Gonet solution trying to prove/achieve that is different from the Quant?

Good question. Possibly Gonet meets self-righting rules that the Quant does not although both apparently meet eligibility for the Bol d'Or. Lake Geneva is one thing,  I'm not certain how much I'd fancy a Quant on a brisk Solent day, I mean without a RIB in attendance.

Dog watch,

true, but the same can be said of any 23 footer. The question is whether the quant can be scaled up.

The AC75 doesn’t need to meet any safety rules, which is why they can remove the keel entirely and put the ballast in the foils (AVSwc must be way below basic minimum), so apparently can scale up. The interesting thing will be if a keel boat can fly scaled up. Not that I ever see it becoming mainstream due to the huge cost and complexity relative to a normal toy.

1 hour ago, Chimp too said:

Dog watch,

true, but the same can be said of any 23 footer. The question is whether the quant can be scaled up.

The AC75 doesn’t need to meet any safety rules, which is why they can remove the keel entirely and put the ballast in the foils (AVSwc must be way below basic minimum), so apparently can scale up. The interesting thing will be if a keel boat can fly scaled up. Not that I ever see it becoming mainstream due to the huge cost and complexity relative to a normal toy.

There *are* safety requirements for the AC75 - check out the class rule

There are safety requirements, but not ones that meet any standards required for any other racing. AVSwc is just an example. 

12 hours ago, Chimp too said:

There are safety requirements, but not ones that meet any standards required for any other racing. AVSwc is just an example. 

Probably because there just aren't that many other 75 foot harbour day sailer competitions around... 

Every other class I can think of using 75+ foot boats requires them to be able to survive out in the actual ocean.

Sad that the Bol d'Or was not windy enough to evaluation fast foiling monos to foiling multis. As usual multi won everything, a foiling mono in light wind has no chance.

6 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Sad that the Bol d'Or was not windy enough to evaluation fast foiling monos to foiling multis. As usual multi won everything, a foiling mono in light wind has no chance.

But in high wind you will be limited by righting moment and air and foil resistance and I guess multis will have better righting moment.

I agree with Tornado that it would have been interesting to compare Gonet to the multis in foiling mode (not necessarily high wind but high enough wind to foil). I don't expect Gonet to match the multi's foiling performance but if it can manage to be somewhere in between high perf mono and foiling multi that would deserve some appreciation.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2018 at 4:18 PM, dogwatch said:

850kg. If accurate that is interestingly heavy for an 8m foiler. Curious to see this covered by CNN rather than sailing media. Maybe there wasn't a press release to copy and paste. Anyway, I am intrigued to learn more.

It has been covered elsewhere, e.g. Pressure Drop, YachtBoatNews and Sail–World.

CNN reported that the boat is 850kg including 4 crew (caption to 3rd image here), so maybe it's around 530 kg (allowing 80kg/crew member), which is still heavy for a foiler and 75% more than a Quant 23. Sail-World says it's 850kg empty. I guess we'll find out the truth in time.

Here's the facebook page, there's a video showing a fairly minimal bulb.