feenstrap

How bad are oversized hanks?

Hello anarchists,

For my 30 feet old skool IOR boat i have just converted the mylar #1 and dacron #3 headsails from luff groove to hanks. Changing headsails with a luff groove is no fun single handed, hence the conversion to hanks.

Now it seems i have had the sailmaker to use the Wichard 65mm hanks instead of the 55mm ones. The forestay of the boat is 6mm rod and these hanks seem way too big. The gap between the forestay and the sail luff is now about 3cm.

How bad is this gap for actual sail performance?
Should i replace the large hanks with smaller ones, or is it no big deal?
Can you help me with my buyers remorse?

Cheers, Peter

No big deal at all. Just check the tack setback is correct as lots of guys don't change that when swapping luff systems

Shouldn't be an issue as long as the luff of the sail and rigging align parallel to the wind. Could see it becoming a problem if the halyard was over-tensioned, which seems to happen a lot these days.

Bigger is better, otherwise the kite halyard can't get in there easily. 

Not bad at all, really.

latest?cb=20140504043948

• Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 3:30 PM, Alcatraz5768 said:

Bigger is better, otherwise the kite halyard can't get in there easily. 

This made me giggle.... a lot

I just did the npt to Bermuda with piston hanks and they were slightly oversized- I was grateful..

the wichard hanks can be a bitch with kite sheets, have a sailmaker sew a flap over the bottom 4 or 5 and it’ll eliminate most of the issue- 

most importantly make sure the tack setback matches the distance of the hanks off headstay.. 

On 7/6/2018 at 12:49 AM, USA190520 said:

most importantly make sure the tack setback matches the distance of the hanks off headstay.. 

Thanks for the feedback all. After two weeks of sailing it does not seem to be a problem. Actually the bigger hanks are very easy to snap on/off. 

There is a sight mismatch in the offset of about 1.5 cm. Does not seem to be an issue besides to lower hank sometimes floating on the headstay.