Under Trump, a majority of Canadians dislike the U.S. for the first time in 35 years, likely much longer

A major Pew Research survey released on Monday found that just 43 per cent of Canadians hold a favourable view of the U.S., with 51 per cent holding an unfavourable view.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017/06/26/a-majority-of-canadians-dislike-the-us-for-the-first-time-in-35-years-likely-much-longer.html

36 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

My slip neighbour is a Trump supporter from Alberta. FML

And like the potato farmers in Idaho, your neighbor will not give up on Trump, because your neighbor believes Trump will still do the right thing.

My apologies to Canada that you have to suffer our moron in chief. Rest assured the vast majority of Americans view Canada as a good friend and neighbor. Like any storm, this will pass. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RKoch said:

My apologies to Canada that you have to suffer our moron in chief. Rest assured the vast majority of Americans view Canada as a good friend and neighbor. Like any storm, this will pass. 

It will pass but how much destruction will be left in its wake?  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jerseyguy said:

It will pass but how much destruction will be left in its wake?  

A lot, but hopefully in red states.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, RKoch said:

A lot, but hopefully in red states.

Hoping for minimal collateral damage for the rest of us.

His comment today about the upcoming summit was downright scary. He said it would take him one minute (1 effin minute) to size up Kim and decide if a "deal" could be made.  Typical Trump bullshit but these are some serious stakes.

Yes, we could go all Chechnya on your ass and start blowing stuff up. Like your economy...oh, wait. President Subversive has that task. 

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Yes, we could go all Chechnya on your ass and start blowing stuff up. Like your economy...oh, wait. Comrade Subversive has that task. 

FIFY

7 hours ago, austin1972 said:

We are lucky as hell to get Canukistan as a neighbor. Don't fuck it up.

OH, hell yeah, we could have Mexico.

Trump is doing Trudeau a favour with his tweets and attempted bullying. Nothing will rally Canadians to their PM more than this. Trudeau even had the right response by saying we are polite and reasonable but won't be pushed around. One can see Trump's approach to negotiations here but it does not work when you are dealing with sovereign nations.

51 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Trump is doing Trudeau a favour with his tweets and attempted bullying. Nothing will rally Canadians to their PM more than this. Trudeau even had the right response by saying we are polite and reasonable but won't be pushed around. One can see Trump's approach to negotiations here but it does not work when you are dealing with sovereign nations adults.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, austin1972 said:

We are lucky as hell to get Canukistan as a neighbor. Don't fuck it up.

Oh I don't know; they are responsible for Celine Dion and Happy Jack.

28 minutes ago, Remodel said:

Oh I don't know; they are responsible for Celine Dion and Happy Jack.

It might be the same person?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Saorsa said:

OH, hell yeah, we could have Mexico.

You just can't help being an asshole even when you try to be amusing.

11 hours ago, Fakenews said:

And Justin Bieber.

We aren't responsible for Hopeless Hillary Jack Malarkey.

Even if it is actually true (questionable) that he was born here, he is 100% Made in America.

12 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Trump is doing Trudeau a favour with his tweets and attempted bullying. Nothing will rally Canadians to their PM more than this. Trudeau even had the right response by saying we are polite and reasonable but won't be pushed around. One can see Trump's approach to negotiations here but it does not work when you are dealing with sovereign nations.

Or adults.

• Like 1

One has to wonder why Trump is so belligerent to long time allies in the G7 and NATO. It's almost like he's trying to break apart those relationships.

image.jpeg

16 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

You just can't help being an asshole even when you try to be amusing.

You haven't figure out my avatar, have you?

In the past few weeks many of my friends without being prompted have said they will avoid "buying American" and perhaps more importantly noted that there are lots of other places to vacation.  

A couple of years ago it would take anywhere from 20 minutes to hours to get through the border here (Peace Arch).

The last few times we have crossed we have driven right up to the booth - no waiting.

The Trump effect in action.

Every one of those missing cars was probably worth $500 or more to American businesses.

Stupid mofo has decided to strengthen border with Canada (expecting an invasion?), while appeasing North Korea. Putin couldn't have planned it better.

http://www.newsweek.com/dhs-announces-strengthened-northern-border-strategy-amid-growing-tensions-973115 

DHS Announces ‘Strengthened Northern Border Strategy’ Amid Growing Tensions Between U.S. and Canada 
By Chantal Da Silva On 6/12/18 at 1:16 PM 

With tensions between the U.S. and Canada on the rise, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has announced a "strengthened" Northern Border Strategy that it claims will help "combat terrorism" and "help facilitate travel and trade" at its border with Canada. 

In a press release published on Tuesday, the DHS said its new strategy "establishes a clear vision and concrete actions that will improve DHS's efforts to safeguard our northern border against terrorist and criminal threats, facilitate the safe and efficient flow of lawful cross-border trade and travel and strengthen cross-border critical infrastructure protection and community resilience." 

While the newly released border strategy opens with a summary calling the U.S. and Canada "two friendly nations with a long history of social, cultural and economic ties," tensions between the countries have become increasingly fraught. 

The border strategy's release comes just days after President Donald Trump announced steel, aluminum and auto tariffs on its northern ally, citing a "national security" threat.

Just now, Ishmael said:

Comrade Trump is just following orders.

No doubt.

On 6/10/2018 at 8:59 AM, Bristol-Cruiser said:

It doesn't work that well with individual people, either. Why do you think "The Art of the Deal" master negotiator has gone bankrupt so many times? Insulting and bullying people does not make them want to buy stuff from you.

-DSK

In a similar situation years ago, Joe Trudeau's father Pierre said "I've had worse said about me by better people".

Precisely.

Some actual facts about this whole dairy thing. http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-trump-dairy-stunningly-hypocritical-1.4701046

The entire Canada-U.S. dairy trading relationship is valued at just over $750 million a year, according to the latest figures, with American exports to Canada — worth more than $631 million a year — accounting for the vast majority of the goods that cross the border.

In 2016, Canada imported dairy products from the U.S. worth five times more than the small amount it exported.

Muirhead also pointed out that even though Canadian dairy farmers are protected by these high tariffs, imports still make up 10 per cent of the country's domestic dairy consumption, while in the U.S., imports are restricted to just 3 per cent of the dairy market.

Stop with the facts.

Their tiny minds are already full.

Trump says he’ll punish ‘the people of Canada’ because of Trudeau’s news conference

This is the first time Trump has threatened to take out his frustration with Trudeau on the Canadian people.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2018/06/12/we-just-shook-hands-trump-confused-by-trudeaus-pushed-around-comment-after-g7-summit.html

The case for invading America

Future historians will never be able to claim we didn’t try. As Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland said at the end of the recent disastrous G7 summit (and while carefully avoiding the present tense) Canada is “the closest and strongest ally the United States has had.”

And it has not been easy; a more belligerent, loud and difficult neighbour would be hard to find. But we have remained unfailingly calm, helpful and even polite. We were there to accept their wayward American aircraft after 9/11. We fought and died beside them in Europe, Korea and Afghanistan. For decades, we’ve shared our intelligence, our maple syrup and our comedians. And in return we graciously took their draft dodgers, reality TV shows and light beer with nary a complaint.

Unfortunately, those days are past. Relations between Washington and Ottawa (and Mexico City, and Berlin, and London, and Paris, and Canberra, and Tokyo, and Seoul, and almost everywhere else except Moscow) have reached rock bottom.

Every effort has been made, through multilateral channels, bilateral visits, shuttle diplomacy and Broadway musicals to find a way out of this festering crisis. But none of these strategies have worked and we are now left with only one option: invade the United States in order to restore order and stability.

https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/the-case-for-invading-america/

The Canadians bring order and discipline to American mayhem and chaos

The Great Patriotic Trade War starts in two weeks. http://nationalpost.com/opinion/john-ivison-the-great-patriotic-trade-war-against-the-u-s-begins-on-canada-day

But we are now in a world where Trudeau, the leader of America’s great ally and trading partner, is “weak” and “dishonest,” while Kim Jong Un, the leader of the world’s most repressive regime, is “a great personality” and a “very talented man.” Recall this is the same man who executed his uncle using an anti-aircraft machine gun, before incinerating his body with flamethrowers, and also had his estranged brother murdered at an airport in Malaysia (and that is without delving into the network of gulags or use of food as a tool to enforce political loyalty).

Many Canadians have deduced this is a president who sympathizes with authoritarian strong-men and detests the “weakness” of democrats.

They have also concluded that their government has had few options but to hit back. And the Abacus poll suggests that, if Trump is intent on punishing them, they are prepared to cost American companies a lot of money too.

Abacus said 15 million Canadians have said they will avoid U.S. wines (84 per cent say they will or will consider a boycott), cross-border shopping (81 per cent) and pleasure trips to the U.S. (76 per cent).

2 hours ago, Mid said:

I read a story in the paper years ago about a situation that happened in the 20's or 30's. The Canadian Government became aware that the U.S. military had developed contingency plans for invading Canada.

In response the Canadian Government decided to do the same. Their plan revolved around an invasion into the mid-west through IIRC Minnesota and Wisconsin.

It included such gems as instructions for the invading forces to obtain road maps from American gas stations on their way. :lol:

Canadian Bacon in reverse.

Canada is smarter than we think.  The Articles of Confederation included a provision that would have permitted Canada to become part of the US.  Wisely, at least in view of current realities, they said no.

An offshoot from the Macleans article referenced above: https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/trade-sanctions-against-america-wont-work-sanctioning-trump-himself-might/

I propose that instead of taxing the import of American serviettes, we tax Trump. In the spirit of the Magnitsky Act, Canada and the western allies come together to collectively pressure the only pain point that matters to this President: his family and their assets. This could take the form of special taxation on their current operations, freezing of assets, or even sanctions against senior staff. Canada could add a tax to Trump properties equal to any tariff unilaterally imposed by Washington.  The European Union could revoke any travel visas for senior staff in the Trump organization. And the United Kingdom could temporarily close his golf course.

Arguably, the legislation to do so already exists. Canada’s Special Economic Measures Act and the Foreign Corrupt Officials Act permit us to sanction public officials who are “complicit in ordering, controlling or otherwise directing acts of corruption”. In the case of Trump, we already have several open examples of this and the various ongoing criminal investigations (of his own government) are expected to produce many more.

I recognize this column has the stench of bad satire about it. I am sane enough to know this proposal does not sound sane. But I also know we are confronting an unprecedented crisis and one that would have sounded insane if we’d been warned of it just three years ago: the President of the United States is dismantling the entire liberal international order we have spent a century building, and he is completely focused on promoting his own interests, at the expense of American allies, and at the expense of Americans themselves.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I read a story in the paper years ago about a situation that happened in the 20's or 30's. The Canadian Government became aware that the U.S. military had developed contingency plans for invading Canada.

In response the Canadian Government decided to do the same. Their plan revolved around an invasion into the mid-west through IIRC Minnesota and Wisconsin.

It included such gems as instructions for the invading forces to obtain road maps from American gas stations on their way. :lol:

Canadian Bacon in reverse.

I think the military has invasion plans for every country. Probably more of a 'what if' practice exercise than a serious plan. Plans to invade allies are probably infrequently updated, plans to invade threats or rivals are more serious and probably updated frequently. IIRC the military also has a written plan to fight zombies.

https://www.cnn.com/2014/05/16/politics/pentagon-zombie-apocalypse/index.html

Outside of obvious threats, it's just practice making plans.

15 minutes ago, RKoch said:

I think the military has invasion plans for every country. Probably more of a 'what if' practice exercise than a serious plan. Plans to invade allies are probably infrequently updated, plans to invade threats or rivals are more serious and probably updated frequently. IIRC the military also has a written plan to fight zombies.

https://www.cnn.com/2014/05/16/politics/pentagon-zombie-apocalypse/index.html

Outside of obvious threats, it's just practice making plans.

You're not far off Koch - the plans for invasions of allied countries are established with the normal perspective being that their sovereignty has been compromised by some other incursion (kinda like Russia/Ukraine).   

I'm sure the U.S. military has plans for every contingency that anyone has been able to think up for the past century or more.

I was surprised that the Canadian government wouldn't have known that even back then.

I lost the clipping of the story to my great regret - it was hilarious, the more so because it was done in all seriousness. I remember laughing until I cried when I read it.

I don't recall anything in it about re-burning the WH though.

Does Canada really charge 270% on milk?

On some dairy imports, yes. Canada essentially allows two avenues for dairy imports -- those within quota, and surplus stuff. It’s the latter where tariffs spike, because Canada’s whole system is built to avoid a surplus -- hence its name, “supply management.”

Take milk, for instance. Within quota, the tariff is 7.5 percent. Over-quota milk faces a 241 percent tariff. Other over-quota rates include blended dairy powder at 270 percent. Duties rise to as high as 314 percent for other products, according to data from the World Trade Organization. Canadian officials argue that all countries subsidize dairy, including the U.S. -- Canada essentially does so indirectly by closing its borders and capping production. If you’ve got a slice of the quota, though, the tariffs don’t apply. And Canada has given up slices of its market in trade talks. (Including in the Trans Pacific Partnership trade deal that Trump quit.)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-11/how-canada-s-sacred-cows-and-270-tariffs-set-trump-off-at-g-7

1 minute ago, Saorsa said:

So, all other countries charge tariffs but Trump is bad.

Some people rub shit on their face.

Therefor, Trump rubbing shit on your face is OK, right?

-DSK

6 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

When people rub shit on their face they are doing it to themselves.

They should not try rubbing it on mine. 

I hate to seem pedantic but Do you understand how personal pronouns work?

President Trump is unquestionably harming the US. He is unquestionably taking personal profits from his office.

You seem very unwilling to see it..... when people act willfully deaf, it's common to say to them "clean the shit out of your ears." I say to Trump supporters, clean the shit out of your eyes.

Now who do you think rubbed it there? Trump? Yourself? Does it make much difference now?

-DSK

22 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

President Trump is unquestionably harming the US. He is unquestionably taking personal profits from his office.

You seem very unwilling to see it..... when people act willfully deaf, it's common to say to them "clean the shit out of your ears." I say to Trump supporters, clean the shit out of your eyes.

Now who do you think rubbed it there? Trump? Yourself? Does it make much difference now?

-DSK

Geezus man, your ulcers must really be acting up.

1 minute ago, Saorsa said:
25 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

-DSK

Geezus man, your ulcers must really be acting up.

???

Nice logical rebuttal, but anyhow I'm having a pretty good day. Depends on thunderstorms later though.

-DSK

57 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

???

Nice logical rebuttal, but anyhow I'm having a pretty good day. Depends on thunderstorms later though.

-DSK

I didn't see any logic in your statement.  Responding with logic would have been illogical.

1 hour ago, Saorsa said:

By George, I think he's got it.

5 hours ago, Saorsa said:

All other countries charge tariffs within the framework of legal agreements, like the WTO. Trump's tariffs are illegal.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

All other countries charge tariffs within the framework of legal agreements, like the WTO. Trump's tariffs are illegal.

Somehow, ratifying an international agreement by a vote on budget rules doesn't have the actual satisfaction of an actual vote for ratification.

If fact, it looks like a way around the intent of the requirement that actual treaties be ratified by the senate.

Before anybody wants to make it partisan, Republicans in the House and Senate voted FOR the "General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade" as requested by Clinton.

Why wasn't it voted on, up or down, as a treaty binding on the US?  Well,  re-election.  The citizens of the US do not like surrendering sovereignty to foreign courts.

OBTW, I'm still waiting for an answer as to why the EU can charge a 10% tariff on US cars and we can only charge 2.5%.

22 hours ago, Saorsa said:
23 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

???

-DSK

I didn't see any logic in your statement.  Responding with logic would have been illogical.

Yeah, but the cheese looks all melty

-DSK

17 hours ago, Saorsa said:

Somehow, ratifying an international agreement by a vote on budget rules doesn't have the actual satisfaction of an actual vote for ratification.

If fact, it looks like a way around the intent of the requirement that actual treaties be ratified by the senate.

Before anybody wants to make it partisan, Republicans in the House and Senate voted FOR the "General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade" as requested by Clinton.

Why wasn't it voted on, up or down, as a treaty binding on the US?  Well,  re-election.  The citizens of the US do not like surrendering sovereignty to foreign courts.

OBTW, I'm still waiting for an answer as to why the EU can charge a 10% tariff on US cars and we can only charge 2.5%.

I do not know specifically about the car tariffs, but the reasoning in general is that within the agreement, a neutral committee assembles figures on the level of gov't (read tax-funded) support for the given product, and the level of environmental impact, then works some math to arrive at a tariff that levels the relative costs of the competing goods. I would asume that -IF THIS PROCESS WAS FOLLOWED- (which I don't know) with the auto tariffs, then US cars get a higher level of subsidy and/or cause more pollution during manufacture (which I can easily believe).

-DSK

42 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I do not know specifically about the car tariffs, but the reasoning in general is that within the agreement, a neutral committee assembles figures on the level of gov't (read tax-funded) support for the given product, and the level of environmental impact, then works some math to arrive at a tariff that levels the relative costs of the competing goods. I would asume that -IF THIS PROCESS WAS FOLLOWED- (which I don't know) with the auto tariffs, then US cars get a higher level of subsidy and/or cause more pollution during manufacture (which I can easily believe).

-DSK

You could apply tariffs on the footprint/cubic volume of the vehicle multiplied by a fuel efficiency factor. I'd guess the USA would be facing tariffs of 200% or more on that basis vis a vis European vehicles.

Just a thought.....

Mind you the French are notorious for putting their interests first, middle and last when it comes to protection of domestic industries so there probably *is* no justification for the tariff disparity. I don't think it actually matters though, given the bulk and fuel inefficiency of US vehicles few would buy them anyway.

FKT

Europe can't even keep its own EU rules from being unfavorable to one nation or another.  We really don't need them running our trade too.

To make the WTO more 'fair', perhaps each individual state in the US should have a seat.  After all, every european countrry does and they get the EU bonus seat.

1 hour ago, Saorsa said:

Europe can't even keep its own EU rules from being unfavorable to one nation or another.  We really don't need them running our trade too.

To make the WTO more 'fair', perhaps each individual state in the US should have a seat.  After all, every european countrry does and they get the EU bonus seat.

Trump doesn't give a shit if the WTO is fair or not, he's ignoring it. Not standing by your agreements is something we are coming to expect from the new USA.

34 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Trump doesn't give a shit if the WTO is fair or not, he's ignoring it. Not standing by your agreements is something we are coming to expect from the new USA.

If you look at it realistically, nobody gives a shit if the WTO is fair or not as long as they can get a deal from it.

That's why there are so many disputes.

But, you haven't explained why the tariffs on cars are 10% in the EU and 2.5 in the US.

42 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

If you look at it realistically, nobody gives a shit if the WTO is fair or not as long as they can get a deal from it.

But, you haven't explained why the tariffs on cars are 10% in the EU and 2.5 in the US.

And US tariffs on passenger vans from Europe are 25%.

5 hours ago, Saorsa said:

That's just it. They're not "running our trade too." They are establishing how tilted..... or not..... the playing field is, between competing products made in the various countries.

Capitalism suggests that better products, made less expensively, will crowd out the inefficient production. However as FKT pointed out, there are probably few Europeans interested in buying US cars at any price. I am more familiar with this process in the various aviation markets.

President Trump is now working at tilting the level really hard "in favor of" US made products. The problem is, that will result in higher prices to US consumers, less freedom in the market, and more-inefficiently produced US goods.

It's nothing new, people spouting economic nonsense from "The Right" but this is taking it to an amazing new level, and an amazingly dumb 180 spin

-DSK

2 hours ago, Saorsa said:

Agreed with the first part, mostly.... there are a few people trying to forward a fair agenda.

On the second part, you're just being a tedious dumbass. It has been explained. If you don't understand, you could ask a question or two.

Or you could just repeat hate-spew talking points like Dog, mindlessly....... like how Obama was a Kenyan who gave Iran gazillions of dollars.

-DSK

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

And US tariffs on passenger vans from Europe are 25%.

Ford figured out the way around that.  Ship the van and then install the seats.

58 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

That's just it. They're not "running our trade too." They are establishing how tilted..... or not..... the playing field is, between competing products made in the various countries.

Capitalism suggests that better products, made less expensively, will crowd out the inefficient production. However as FKT pointed out, there are probably few Europeans interested in buying US cars at any price. I am more familiar with this process in the various aviation markets.

President Trump is now working at tilting the level really hard "in favor of" US made products. The problem is, that will result in higher prices to US consumers, less freedom in the market, and more-inefficiently produced US goods.

It's nothing new, people spouting economic nonsense from "The Right" but this is taking it to an amazing new level, and an amazingly dumb 180 spin

-DSK

Wait!  Trump is tilting the field toward us?

If it's tilted against us isn't that kinda like levelling?

31 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Well you do have one of the largest throwaway junk, consumer economies in the world. 

Carry on, although id hate too see just how expensive all the throwaway junk becomes,  once its not produced in the cheapest labor markets around the world.

At odds with Trump over trade, Canadians say they will avoid U.S. goods - Ipsos Poll

Source: Reuters

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Seventy percent of Canadians say they will start looking for ways to avoid buying U.S.-made goods in a threat to ratchet up a trade dispute between Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and U.S. President Donald Trump, an Ipsos Poll showed on Friday. 

The poll also found a majority of Americans and Canadians are united in support of Trudeau and opposition to Trump in their countries’ stand-off over the renegotiation of the 1994 North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). 

-snip- 

Despite the tensions, 85 percent of Canadians and 72 percent of Americans said they support being in NAFTA, and 44 percent of respondents in both countries said renegotiation of the deal would be a good thing for their country. 

-snip- 

The poll showed 72 percent of Canadians and 57 percent of Americans approved of the way Trudeau had handled the situation, while 14 percent of Canadians and 37 percent of Americans approved of Trump’s behaviour. 

-snip-

Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-usa-canada-trade/at-odds-with-trump-over-trade-canadians-say-they-will-avoid-u-s-goods-ipsos-poll-idUKKBN1JB2XH 

On 6/15/2018 at 4:50 PM, Saorsa said:

I said he was "working on it" not that he was succeeding. We'll know in a couple years how successful or not.

I'm betting on "not," he's got a crappy track record

-DSK

On 6/15/2018 at 8:10 PM, badlatitude said:

At odds with Trump over trade, Canadians say they will avoid U.S. goods - Ipsos Poll

Source: Reuters

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Seventy percent of Canadians say they will start looking for ways to avoid buying U.S.-made goods in a threat to ratchet up a trade dispute between Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and U.S. President Donald Trump, an Ipsos Poll showed on Friday. 

The poll also found a majority of Americans and Canadians are united in support of Trudeau and opposition to Trump in their countries’ stand-off over the renegotiation of the 1994 North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). 

-snip- 

Despite the tensions, 85 percent of Canadians and 72 percent of Americans said they support being in NAFTA, and 44 percent of respondents in both countries said renegotiation of the deal would be a good thing for their country. 

-snip- 

The poll showed 72 percent of Canadians and 57 percent of Americans approved of the way Trudeau had handled the situation, while 14 percent of Canadians and 37 percent of Americans approved of Trump’s behaviour. 

-snip-

Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-usa-canada-trade/at-odds-with-trump-over-trade-canadians-say-they-will-avoid-u-s-goods-ipsos-poll-idUKKBN1JB2XH 

Can someone tell me where to get these so called US goods, everything I see say's "MADE IN CHINA"?

Food.

If you are eating out of season food it probably came from the USA.

Sacrifice strawberries at Christmas - that'll show Trump.

17 hours ago, Bluto said:

Can someone tell me where to get these so called US goods, everything I see say's "MADE IN CHINA"?

17 hours ago, Bluto said:

Stop shopping at Walmart....

Source: The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation

Cedella Roman, visiting mom from France, says border patrol held her for crossing into Blaine, Wash. 

Jon Hernandez · CBC News · Posted: Jun 22, 2018 6:00 AM PT | Last Updated: 3 hours ago 

Cedella Roman says she was jogging along the beach in White Rock, B.C., when she crossed the U.S. border without realizing it. That began a two-week nightmare that landed her in a prison jumpsuit. 

Roman, 19, was jogging south on a cool spring evening May 21. As the tide came in, she veered up and onto a dirt path before stopping to take a photo of the picturesque setting. She turned around to head home — and that's when she was apprehended by two U.S. border patrol officers. 

"An officer stopped me and started telling me I had crossed the border illegally," she told CBC News. 

"I told him I had not done it on purpose, and that I didn't understand what was happening."

Read more: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/jogger-crosses-u-s-border-by-accident-detained-by-authorities-for-2-weeks-1.4717060

On 6/15/2018 at 5:26 PM, Keith said:

Well you do have one of the largest throwaway junk, consumer economies in the world. 

Carry on, although id hate too see just how expensive all the throwaway junk becomes,  once its not produced in the cheapest labor markets around the world.

I wouldn't disagree with that.  The dumber thing is throwing it away before you've paid for it.

I don't see a lot of difference in urban Canada though.

Canada is pretty shitty on the environment in it's own way.

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

Cedella Roman, visiting mom from France, says border patrol held her for crossing into Blaine, Wash. 

Jon Hernandez · CBC News · Posted: Jun 22, 2018 6:00 AM PT | Last Updated: 3 hours ago 

Cedella Roman says she was jogging along the beach in White Rock, B.C., when she crossed the U.S. border without realizing it. That began a two-week nightmare that landed her in a prison jumpsuit. 

Roman, 19, was jogging south on a cool spring evening May 21. As the tide came in, she veered up and onto a dirt path before stopping to take a photo of the picturesque setting. She turned around to head home — and that's when she was apprehended by two U.S. border patrol officers. 

"An officer stopped me and started telling me I had crossed the border illegally," she told CBC News. 

"I told him I had not done it on purpose, and that I didn't understand what was happening."

Read more: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/jogger-crosses-u-s-border-by-accident-detained-by-authorities-for-2-weeks-1.4717060

The funny thing is that where she was picked up is in Canada.  The cut line and sea pylons at the border at White Rock was surveyed in 1852 using a sextant and is about 1/4 mile into Canada.  The statute says that the border exists at the 49th parallel.  This discrepancy is taken care of on a case to case basis by the Border Commission usually.   Perhaps a letter to their superior will go into the same round basket that these all do.  On the US side, there is a jog farther inland where a local farmer decided that he was in the US and backed it up with brandishing a shotgun.  Discretion being the better part of valour on the part of the Royal Engineers at the time, there is a distinct bump in the cut line further into Canada at that farm.  Has caused a few issues over time.

4 hours ago, Saorsa said:

I wouldn't disagree with that.  The dumber thing is throwing it away before you've paid for it.

I don't see a lot of difference in urban Canada though.

Canada is pretty shitty on the environment in it's own way.

Nice try, your economy is easily 10 times the size of ours.... carry on....

5 hours ago, RKoch said:

She wouldn't have had much of a problem if she was carrying identification, she had no way of proving who she was, and then was processed through the US system. 

Yeah, there's a border there...

1 hour ago, Keith said:

Nice try, your economy is easily 10 times the size of ours.... carry on....

You should read the link and look at the comparison on pollution,

For example:

• Canada’s tiny fleet of 15 refineries emitted 62 per cent more sulphur dioxide (SO2) than 127 U.S. plants combined in 2014. Fourteen out of 15 refineries in Canada would have to cut their sulphur dioxide (SO2) emissions by at least half to meet the average level of emissions in the U.S., the data shows. Of those, nine of them would need a reduction of 90 per cent or more to reach the U.S. average. Exposure to SO2 can harm the respiratory system and make breathing difficult, especially for those with asthma.
  • 11 of the 15 Canadian refineries would need to cut nitrogen oxides emissions by at least half to reach the U.S. average.
  • 9 of the 15 would need at least a 50 per cent reduction in carbon monoxide emissions to reach the U.S. average.