Sign in to follow this  
USA 5184

G-Flex vs. Plexus - ABS plastic boat repair

Yes yes I know one of these threads again. I am looking for advice from anyone who has repaired cracks on a JY 15, Hunter 170, or Hunter 216. It looks like plexus adhesive is the general consensus, but I see some people mention G – flex and wonder if that would work as well. Is one better than the other? Does one last longer than the other? G-flex by West Systems is an Epoxy, while Plexus is an adhesive. Would the G-flex hurt the foam core? If plexus adhesive is the way to go, which one should I use? The Jamestown distributors website lists a few types of plexus which all seem like they would work well on a Thermoplastic hull. Any advice, insight, or recommendations that you might have will help as well as any long term updates as to how your repair held up over time. 

Please don’t ask for pictures or give me a history lesson on which two companies provided the plastic for these boats which is how all of these threads end up. I’m simply looking for advice on which material to use in my repair.

IIRC, the Gougeons have an article at the site in which they describe chainsawing and then repairing a plastic kayak, includes technique.

I used Gflex to repair a PVC flexible furler, and my article is also at the west site. Read and make yer own decision. I can say that the alcohol wipe and flame treatment are important to get good results. 

That’s the video I saw that led me to believe that G-flex looks too good to be true. I was ready to buy the Plexus but this stuff looks pretty good too. The problem with the flame treatment when repairing a JY15, Hunter 170, or Hunter 216, is they have foam cores that won’t like being touched by an open flame. Too bad, this stuff looks like it’s a cure for damaged solid plastic Kayaks. Also, I’m not sure they are quite the same plastic.

Now in thinking remove some foam core under the dremeled out crack, replace with something that can withstand the flame treatment, then us G-flex. Something to think about. Still looking for others who have repaired one of these boats and their results on how long the repair lasts. 

You’re just waving the flame over the substrate, not setting it on fire. It’s a molecular change effect. If done correctly you shouldn’t be anywhere near catching anything, including foam core, afire