woodpecker

Garmin Chartplotter networking.

I bought a new Garmin chart plotter for my helm station and hooked into my 5 year old Garmin plotter down below with the Garmin Marine Network cable. (looks like cat 5)

The chart plotters will not share information with each other, Garmin tells me they won't talk to each other over the network because the one down below is too old.  They both have NEMA 2000 connectors. If I hooked them together with the NEMA 2000 should they then share info? Garmin could not give me an answer.

I've been looking into this too.  As I understand, the Garmin Network is separate and unique from N2K network.  The N2K will share any information that is supported by published PGNs and recognized by the chartplotters you have.  

The NMEA 2000 bus is for data like BSP, DPT, wind data and boat data like tanks and engines. The Garmin network is for high bandwidth sensors like Sonar and Radar. The problem is the two plotters are two completely different operating systems. The older display has a OS which doesn’t allow for transferring user data across the Garmin network into the newer OS very easily. Garmin had to make the hard decision to move past the old OS and move to an OS which has much more flexibility for future growth.

The two displays can display data and sensors from the same NMEA 2000 bus. They can share sensors on the Garmin marine network like Radar but cannot share user data (waypoints routes and tracks and charts) across the Garmin network.

If someone wants to move the waypoints from the old plotter to the new plotter and back again they can do this easily by exporting them from the old plotter to a SD card and then importing them into the new plotter. It’s a fairly easy process.

I'm sure Garmin realizes this isn’t perfect but there was a lot of competitive and boat builder pressure to integrate third party devices like FLIR cameras, underwater lighting and digital switching which the old OS just wasn’t going to allow for. They had to move forward, and sadly this impacts older equipment.

I'm sure you didn't like hearing this, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Thanks for the explanation. Think they would come up with an interface box to tie the two together to get thru the transition years. Not sure how tough that would be?
I have some very old windows programs that still run on my Windows 10 machine.

I suppose almost anything is possible, but the limitations of the older OS are significant. An interface box, if it could be done, may very well come close to the cost of a new device and probably not sell many units. I wish I had a better answer for you. 

If you have radar (or sonar), you may be able to get it displayed on both display types using a GMS10 network expander -- hook up the radar/sonar and plotter ethernet cables there, and the radar/sonar signal should get sent to both plotters, without requiring the plotters to be compatible with each-other (however they do need to be compatible with the radar/sonar obviously)

I saw the same Garmin situation on another boat and we kept the 2 generations in parallel. Each plotter has its own mapping card (since maps don't get shared either), and we can theoretically transfer waypoints using SD cards as Jarcher indicated (though we don't in practice).  They both get NMEA 2000 data including AIS, etc.  NMEA 2000 will also share next active waypoint data (DTW, BTW, waypoint position...), so in theory you could still have all your plotter show the same active waypoint.  But again, you can't share collections of waypoint or routes, you have to load those separately into each unit.

I tried to hook the 2 units together with a NEMA 2K cable. Neither recognizes each other.
I used  2 NEMA 2K drop cables with a coupling. Will this work or do i need a backbone cable?
Garmin support is useless, they tell me to rip everything out and buy new stuff.

4 hours ago, woodpecker said:

I tried to hook the 2 units together with a NEMA 2K cable. Neither recognizes each other.
I used  2 NEMA 2K drop cables with a coupling. Will this work or do i need a backbone cable?
Garmin support is useless, they tell me to rip everything out and buy new stuff.

That should ork, did you have terminators at either end of the bus?

11 hours ago, jarcher said:

That should ork, did you have terminators at either end of the bus?

I don't think so... it sounds like he just hooked them together with no terminators....

you don't need specific backbone cable, woodpecker.. but you DO need a backbone. the quickest way for you would be 2 t's, 2 terminators, and 2 drop cables- one to each display... i don't THINK you have to actually supply power to the bus in this situation, jarcher can probably confirm or deny that...

17 minutes ago, suider said:

I don't think so... it sounds like he just hooked them together with no terminators....

you don't need specific backbone cable, woodpecker.. but you DO need a backbone. the quickest way for you would be 2 t's, 2 terminators, and 2 drop cables- one to each display... i don't THINK you have to actually supply power to the bus in this situation, jarcher can probably confirm or deny that...

I don't think he does either, but with the older device I'm not sure. My bet is no. At the very least, the two devices will report seeing each other. 

3 hours ago, jarcher said:

I don't think he does either, but with the older device I'm not sure. My bet is no. At the very least, the two devices will report seeing each other. 

I take it back, he does need the power block. Apparently the power block provides the reference voltage for the bus.